PDA

View Full Version : Straight Edge

MHero
08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Would it be feasible for a box which states Straight Edge in the personal section of a worker. E.G. CM Punk would have this box ticked so that no random stories can pop up about "CM Punk in Overdose drama".

mikemelling
08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I thought those type of stories would be linked to the Personal sliders?

I think "Straight Edge" would be implied by setting a 0 for the Drug and Alcohol sections. The problem is, this could always change. Whose to say five years from now CM Punk wont be a raging alcoholic. It's unlikely but it's still possible.

FlameSnoopy
08-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I thought those type of stories would be linked to the Personal sliders?

I think "Straight Edge" would be implied by setting a 0 for the Drug and Alcohol sections. The problem is, this could always change. Whose to say five years from now CM Punk wont be a raging alcoholic. It's unlikely but it's still possible.

This. And the exact reason why it doesn't need to be added: personalities change, and as mike said, who can guess where CM Punk is in five years?

dse81
08-12-2010, 12:16 PM
What if you checked the 'known' box when the slider is at zero? Would that prevent the 'CM Punk overdose' thing from happening?

Jennie Bomb
08-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Maybe "Straight Edge" should be considered a personal habit for the purposes of gameplay. Dependign on how straight edge someone is, it could influence the probability that a worker would develop certain other bad habits. For example, if a worker is very loosely committed to a straight edge lifestyle (10%), then while they'd have a lesser chance fo starting down the drug or alcohol problem road than a non-straight edge worker, they'd be much more likely to stray from the path than someone who is hiughloy committed (90%).

Obviously, the level would be able to be fluid. If a worker who was straight edge develops a drug problem, then they'd drop down to 0% straight edge, whereas maybe a recovering alcoholic would discover the straight edge lifestyle as a way to help them avoid their drink problems, gaining Straight Edge levels and thus reducing the liklihood that they'd relapse. Plus, maybe some guys would just pick it up from guys in the cmpany - if, for example, Big Smack Scott managed to make friends with some guy with a high level of straight edge, it might rub off on him and he'd stop with the steroids. Or the opposite - if you bring in a straight edge dude into a locker room reminiscent of the ECW locker room back in the day, maybe they'd make enemies with their preaching or be pulled from the path by the people they associate with.

It'd certainly add something to the game that would enable to the game to simulate reality better.

Stennick
08-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I really think its simulated just fine with the sliders in place. Honestly this mostly feels like a suggestion so that CM Punk wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of being linked to an OD story in a game lol.

If his sliders are set to zero which they should be he wouldn't get this type of news story.

Jennie Bomb
08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I really think its simulated just fine with the sliders in place. Honestly this mostly feels like a suggestion so that CM Punk wouldn't have to suffer the embarrassment of being linked to an OD story in a game lol.

If his sliders are set to zero which they should be he wouldn't get this type of news story.
They can change during game play, though. Whilst I disagree with just having a checkbox that makes it impossible, his particular lifestyle choice could be better simulated in the game.

Stennick
08-12-2010, 04:36 PM
I agree it could be but the lifestyle is so rare and even more so rarely broadcast that I would say there are other lifestyle choices that would need to be included as well that I would day say if not more popular they are certainly more broadcast.

Self
08-12-2010, 04:57 PM
In TEW terms, I don't see any difference between a guy with '0' in all the personal sliders (which I'd count myself as, even though I drink on occasion) and someone who is Straight Edge. I don't think there needs to be a difference either. Despite what Mr. Punk claims, Straight Edge does not mean someone is better than an average bloke.

... and yes, really rare. Give me 5 wrestling examples, and maybe I'd change my mind.

Comradebot
08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
They can change during game play, though. Whilst I disagree with just having a checkbox that makes it impossible, his particular lifestyle choice could be better simulated in the game.

So CM Punk is such a superhuman that it's not plausible he could, one day, lose control and end up taking drugs or drinking?

Yeah, there's a small possibility that he could randomly develop a bad habit during gameplay. A TINY one. Just like real-life. You can swear up and down about how you're above anything like that and you'll never, ever do it... but you're still only human. If you really don't like it, play with auto-save off and in the unlikely case he develops a drug habit just go back one day.

Stennick
08-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I really don't think CM Punk needs his own personality trait in the game "straight edge" since to my knowledge the term has never been brought up in wrestling until Punk brought it up.

As others have said the sliders work really well in this and I think TEW already has a very dynamic personality system. If we add straight edge

The personality trait is made so that it reflects the past and the present. I don't agree with using boxes to say "this guy will never do this".

cappyboy
08-12-2010, 07:20 PM
In TEW terms, I don't see any difference between a guy with '0' in all the personal sliders (which I'd count myself as, even though I drink on occasion) and someone who is Straight Edge.

So you'd count Ron Greenhorn being boring beyond measure the same as him being straight edge. Yet you acknowledge you'd consider yourself in the same vein and you drink on occasion. Color me confused.

Remianen
08-12-2010, 07:47 PM
So you'd count Ron Greenhorn being boring beyond measure the same as him being straight edge. Yet you acknowledge you'd consider yourself in the same vein and you drink on occasion. Color me confused.

cappyboy, the sliders don't represent how much a person uses alcohol, but how much they abuse it. If the sliders represented overall use, most European workers would have max sliders (since many European nations drink wine like we drink soda). Anyone who has ever taken an Advil, Tylenol, Aleve or aspirin would have a few ticks under (soft) drugs. Many, if not most, people in the developed world 'drink on occasion' since that encompasses the lifestyles of many people who aren't actually alcoholics (or drunks. There's a difference, I'm told). If you go out to eat at a nice restaurant a few times a year and have a glass of wine with that meal, that's 'drinking on occasion'. Does that mean it affects your everyday life?

Ron Greenhorn is basically like 80+% of the C-Verse, 0% down the line. That's because he doesn't abuse any of those substances. A person who believes in a higher power wouldn't be 'religious'. Only if it has an impact on your (professional, in this case) life does it count for the sliders.

Comradebot
08-12-2010, 07:52 PM

The sliders are only there for people who have problems. Drinking a couple of beers once or twice a month isn't a problem. Having a single beer every Sunday isn't the difference between Scott Hall and CM Punk.

Being "straight edge" and simply not abusing drugs and alcohol are identical in the fact that it won't effect your life negatively (actually, drinking some alcohol is healthy for you, and not just red wine!) or your work for that matter.

Leaving all the sliders at zero is perfect, because being "straight edge" doesn't make you magically transcend to a higher plane of thought and existence where you gain this great insight into the world and succeed at life better than the average joe. It is the SAME as a person who just doesn't abuse bad habits, with the exception being a "straight edge" person wears it on their sleeve.

And, as I said, a "straight edge" person like CM Punk is still human, therefore fallible. I'm sure there's been more than a few people who called themselves straight edge that later ended up drinking or smoking marijuana. More power to CM Punk if he stays true to his beliefs, but he's just as human as the rest of us and well incredibly unlikely, there does exist the possibility that one day something pushes him past his limits or he has a lapse in judgement.

To sum it up, I fail to see how having a "straight edge" trait is needed in the game anymore than any other lifestyle choice. The best, BEST I can think of... is to make it one of a few ways for a worker to give up all his bad habits. Maybe a news article that says something like "Big Smack Scott adopts Straight Edge lifestyle!" and BSS instantly reforms all of his bad habits. But no special tickbox for "Straight Edge", as the possibility will always exist for BSS to relapse and start using roids again.

And, of course, then you can have multiple ways for this to happen. Urging from family, finding religion, watching an afterschool special, having a child on the way... All that good stuff.

Stennick
08-12-2010, 08:27 PM
cappyboy, the sliders don't represent how much a person uses alcohol, but how much they abuse it. If the sliders represented overall use, most European workers would have max sliders (since many European nations drink wine like we drink soda). Anyone who has ever taken an Advil, Tylenol, Aleve or aspirin would have a few ticks under (soft) drugs. Many, if not most, people in the developed world 'drink on occasion' since that encompasses the lifestyles of many people who aren't actually alcoholics (or drunks. There's a difference, I'm told). If you go out to eat at a nice restaurant a few times a year and have a glass of wine with that meal, that's 'drinking on occasion'. Does that mean it affects your everyday life?

Ron Greenhorn is basically like 80+% of the C-Verse, 0% down the line. That's because he doesn't abuse any of those substances. A person who believes in a higher power wouldn't be 'religious'. Only if it has an impact on your (professional, in this case) life does it count for the sliders.

This is one thing nobody realizes when making real world mods I fear. Its not IF you drink or IF you do drugs or IF your religious its how much that comes into your every day pro life as a wrestler. Kudos to you for bringing it up but I fear those that need to hear it most won't.

The sliders are only there for people who have problems. Drinking a couple of beers once or twice a month isn't a problem. Having a single beer every Sunday isn't the difference between Scott Hall and CM Punk.

Being "straight edge" and simply not abusing drugs and alcohol are identical in the fact that it won't effect your life negatively (actually, drinking some alcohol is healthy for you, and not just red wine!) or your work for that matter.

Leaving all the sliders at zero is perfect, because being "straight edge" doesn't make you magically transcend to a higher plane of thought and existence where you gain this great insight into the world and succeed at life better than the average joe. It is the SAME as a person who just doesn't abuse bad habits, with the exception being a "straight edge" person wears it on their sleeve.

And, as I said, a "straight edge" person like CM Punk is still human, therefore fallible. I'm sure there's been more than a few people who called themselves straight edge that later ended up drinking or smoking marijuana. More power to CM Punk if he stays true to his beliefs, but he's just as human as the rest of us and well incredibly unlikely, there does exist the possibility that one day something pushes him past his limits or he has a lapse in judgement.

To sum it up, I fail to see how having a "straight edge" trait is needed in the game anymore than any other lifestyle choice. The best, BEST I can think of... is to make it one of a few ways for a worker to give up all his bad habits. Maybe a news article that says something like "Big Smack Scott adopts Straight Edge lifestyle!" and BSS instantly reforms all of his bad habits. But no special tickbox for "Straight Edge", as the possibility will always exist for BSS to relapse and start using roids again.

And, of course, then you can have multiple ways for this to happen. Urging from family, finding religion, watching an afterschool special, having a child on the way... All that good stuff.

Very good idea Com about the different ways somebody might be able to overcome their bad habits. I like the different ways I likes it a lots.

Astil
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
A lot of the people who know about me from mafia or what have you know that I am a Strait Edge myself. A person close to me was a large influence to me becoming this by being one himself. Fast forward five years and if I had to make this guy in TEW he'd have a 5% drinking having been through a divorce. Life changes. Who knows where I will be in five years, if I will still be xSxEx or not, ect.

My point is that the sliders work the way that they are, imho.

denzil85
08-25-2010, 08:37 AM

A follow on from this could look into personality, for example if a wrestler was talked into a Straight Edge lifestyle by family, they might decide once their family gets off their back that they'll revert to their old ways. Unless they were loyal or whatever.