PDA

View Full Version : WMMA3 Initial Reaction Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 12:20 PM
This thread is for people to post their initial reactions to the trial \ public beta, to stop the forum getting crazy with lots of different threads on the same topic.

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 12:26 PM
You probably won't be too thrilled with this, but my initial reaction is "Is there really only one download location?"

I'm aware that mirrors will pop up (and I'll provide one too, like I've done for the last two TEW releases) - but it's showing 4 hours to download 185mb and that's a bit silly.

I realise that there is a large demand to get the game immediately, but the company really should have sent out the file to pre-agreed mirroring sites/people before this release so that this frustration is not an issue.

I'm looking forward to playing it, but this seems to happen with each TEW/WMMA release and it's a bit of a pain in the neck.

I hope you don't see this as unnecessary bitching, and I appreciate this is likely a GDS head office decision rather than an Adam Ryland one.

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I was like. is it my internet. ok, happy its not me

HansLanda11
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
it's showing 4 hours to download 185mb and that's a bit silly.

The same thing is happening for me and my computer is usually somewhat fast. I've only DLed 4 MB's so far and it says I have almost 6 hours left to go. Oh well, i'm sure it will be worth the wait.

brashleyholland
12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Just wanted to say that it's been great seeing WMMA3 grow throughout the development process into a quality game that, in my mind at least, far surpasses WMMA2 in every which way.

The fight engine is much, much more realistic and the 'flashes' for takedowns, knockdowns and submissions give the fight-changing moments a sense of gravitas and draw you into the bouts.

I'm really loving the database though. This was something Adam kept to himself during the dev process, so it was a pleasant surprise to go through it this week and check out all the changes. Already into a fun game with the new Brazilian promotion FLB.

Bobby Brubaker, Dexter Darling and Dwayne Alleyne are some of my early favs in GAMMA as well.

Rathen4
It's not your computers or connections. It's the fact that we're all hammering the server and using the bandwidth. That means it can only 'share out' so much speed to us all. However, if there had been more servers/choices to download it from, then there would be more speed to share.

Well, if wishes were fishes. It'll be worth it, but it's so avoidable.

leeroybrown
You probably won't be too thrilled with this, but my initial reaction is "Is there really only one download location?"

I'm aware that mirrors will pop up (and I'll provide one too, like I've done for the last two TEW releases) - but it's showing 4 hours to download 185mb and that's a bit silly.

I realise that there is a large demand to get the game immediately, but the company really should have sent out the file to pre-agreed mirroring sites/people before this release so that this frustration is not an issue.

I'm looking forward to playing it, but this seems to happen with each TEW/WMMA release and it's a bit of a pain in the neck.

I hope you don't see this as unnecessary bitching, and I appreciate this is likely a GDS head office decision rather than an Adam Ryland one.

Could not agree more. Mine is telling me 8 hours! For 185mb?? Of course understand there is going to be alot of demand immediately, but thats the exact point of releasing it on more than one mirror. Just hope someone with a 20Mb connection downloads soon and puts up a mirror that can handle demand.

EDIT* However should have added its a demo, and its been the case for years so not overly shocked, just agree that it is a complete oversight by Grey Dog. Looking forward to offer some constructive feedback in this thread once I am able to play it. Off out tonight, and running 5km in a Santa Suit in the morning (charity), so will have earned my testing tomorrow afternoon.

Trackersan
12-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Yeah, in this day and age, only having one download site available...especially when the company has repeatedly told us they don't have a set time to release the demo is to avoid crashing the forum, is short-sighted to say the least.

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Just hope someone with a 20Mb connection downloads soon and puts up a mirror that can handle demand.

Someone with a quick connection wouldn't get a different speed to anyone else unfortunately!

EddieFnG
12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I have a 50mb connection and right now it says 4 hours, 20 minutes, oh no, 4.50 .. yeah, this could take a while.

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
maybe if we cancell it then it can go quicker. SO!! You guys cancel yours. Then I will download mine. then you can fight over it later. lol jk

Or am I?

No. Why don't you cancel it you know u want to.:cool:

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 12:36 PM
maybe if we cancell it then it can go quicker. SO!! You guys cancel yours. Then I will download mine. then you can fight over it later. lol jk

Or am I?

No. Why don't you cancel it you know u want to.:cool:

Please don't spam the thread with useless information. This thread is for initial reactions, which I feel mine was appropriate - but further posts like your one are just going to get it locked/deleted.

brashleyholland
12-04-2010, 12:45 PM
In an effort to get this thread back on track...

Another feature I'm loving is the improved contract negotiations. You really get a sense of 'playing the game' with negotiations now - it's no longer a case of just filling in the boxes.

In WMMA 2, negotiations were a one-sided process - you keep ramping up the numbers until the fighter gets what he wants, then he accepts. Negotiating with a fighter in WMMA3 is just that - negotiating from both sides.

It's hugely satisfying to stick to your guns until negotiations go down to the wire and have a fighter cave and accept your lower offer instead of facing unemployment. Ha!

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 12:45 PM
There will be multiple mirrors for the retail release. Demand for the demo is far lower, and an initial two sources (the second is about to be posted, the first was released simply to get the ball rolling) should be enough for starters.

ampulator
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
In an effort to get this thread back on track...

Another feature I'm loving is the improved contract negotiations. You really get a sense of 'playing the game' with negotiations now - it's no longer a case of just filling in the boxes.

In WMMA 2, negotiations were a one-sided process - you keep ramping up the numbers until the fighter gets what he wants, then he accepts. Negotiating with a fighter in WMMA3 is just that - negotiating from both sides.

It's hugely satisfying to stick to your guns until negotiations go down to the wire and have a fighter cave and accept your lower offer instead of facing unemployment. Ha!
If this with a bigger or smaller name? I'd imagine someone with a losing streak low on the totem will be a LOT more desperate to keep his job.

Jacko00
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Saying 50 hours for me, its stupid.

TEWFan
12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
The negotiations are great. Back in WMMA 2 there was a set amount for every fighter based on their level, so you knew exactly what to offer the guy just based on his name value and if you where stealing him from someone else.

In WMMA 3, sweetening the deal with bonuses can get you the guy even with an offer of less guaranteed cash than what he wants. Some guys will even accept your initial offer if you refuse to increase your offer and keep offering him the same thing. Fighters coming out of big wins (or with high "aura" at the moment) are harder to negotiate with than guys with losing streaks. Overall, it is a ton of fun.

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 01:05 PM
all I wanna know is: Does Hassan Fezzik have any losts on his record?

smokey al
12-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Hassan Fezzik?

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah

chaz4594
12-04-2010, 01:13 PM
This speed is ridiculous.

http://images.zaazu.com/img/thumbsdown-fail-thumbs-down-reject-smiley-emoticon-000748-facebook.gif

Pogo92
12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Shush, this topic isn't about the downloads. Adam has already clarified the mirrors and download sources, let's stick to talk of the actual beta.

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
For those who have actually already played the game, can you elaborate on any and all info about the database? Adam seemed to hint a lot of the information flying around was inaccurate, so I feel there is more to be uncovered with the database.... Anything someone can add to what we already know?

MatBlack
12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Shush, this topic isn't about the downloads. Adam has already clarified the mirrors and download sources, let's stick to talk of the actual beta.

I will start talking about the beta, in around 7 hours time.

Daffanka
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM

There's a mirror up that's much, much faster.

FlameSnoopy
12-04-2010, 01:28 PM

:D

Check the Download Mirrors topic that is pinned.

MatBlack
12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
There's a mirror up that's much, much faster.

Got the mirror downloading now and its much better. Thank you LORD!

TheEmbassy
12-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Has anyone else checked out the demographic appeal section yet? I like homegrown stars.

20LEgend
12-04-2010, 02:16 PM
First thing love the new skin, don't know much about the WMMA series so is there a help file.

djthefunkchris
12-04-2010, 02:22 PM
I love the look, haven't had enough time to do much yet, but my initial thought looking at the help file..

Q: Can I start my own company?
A: No. In WMMA3 you are limited to playing as the match maker of someone else’s.

This is a dissapointment to me. Not a huge deal as you can still do it through the editor, but I really would have rather had a way to make one (similar to how we can in TEW2010).

I haven't played around completely, but the templates are familiar. I was hoping for more options here, although I never did get around to suggesting it for WMMA, I will make sure I suggest it in the future... I would like to have a way to perhaps round out the people better in the templates section by just being able to combine what is already there (Perhaps MMA Brawler at 6, with Catch Wrestling at 8, for example). Something that doesn't make them a completely rounded individual (all rounder), but does give us (well, mindboggling number of) more options to get our fighter where we want them faster utilizing the quick templates.... The Templates is one of the features that come up in TEW a good while back, and I have always felt was one of the best mod-maker's tools introduced.. Definately one of the top 3.

12-04-2010, 02:27 PM
First thing love the new skin, don't know much about the WMMA series so is there a help file.

There is a button for it at the top right.

Will come back and post thoughts later.

20LEgend
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
There is a button for it at the top right.

Will come back and post thoughts later.

So there is I was looking in game but I see it not on the main menu, cheers

onemanwolfpack
12-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Since there hasn't been much actual talk about the game, let me start by saying the spreadsheet feature is probably the coolest thing I've seen so far.

FlameSnoopy
12-04-2010, 02:39 PM
I like the interface a lot, but I won't buy the game. Also, all kinds of statistics is of course a massive plus.

grits207
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Since there hasn't been much actual talk about the game, let me start by saying the spreadsheet feature is probably the coolest thing I've seen so far.

I'm too busy playing it to talk about it :p

I'm going to make a big post later giving all my thoughts, but for now I'm just going to say I love it.

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Initial reaction: Oooooo damn this is lovely looking. haven't dug into the game too far just yet but will be doing so throughout the day. Two tid bits of feed back

In the description box for SIGMA "Based in Germany, SIGMA are..." should be "Based in Germany, SIGMA is..."

Also, the beginning Avatars should probably be expanded. I personally never liked the cat being in the game and now that we're on the 3rd game we should have maybe 2-3 additional options (none of them being comedic based like the cat). On that note I'd totally be willing to come up with some more business types to use for the Avatars for you if needed.

Eyeball
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
First, first impression: Looks extremely cool, loads of new features. I especially love that you can now alter the rules of your game somewhat in the "settings" menu - Really gives the player more freedom to play the kind of game HE wants.

I am a bit sad about the lack of the "belt" system this time around, though - while I initially hated it in WMMA2, it really won me over. I think some kind of graphical representation of fighter stats in the "scout" screen would be most welcome, although this could be hard to implement with the new (and very promising-looking) "fog of war" feature.

brashleyholland
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
all I wanna know is: Does Hassan Fezzik have any losts on his record?

Yeah, he went on an apocalyptic 12 fight losing streak, including 8 consecutive knockouts to Bob Dozier and a doctor's stoppage due to a ruptured testicle against Leon Banks.

Tough times have befallen the Fezzik household.

onemanwolfpack
12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
So are the rankings based on reputations still or reputation and other factors. Because looking down the list, it seems that some fighters have a higher reputation than some of the people above them.

Mr T Jobs To Me
12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Lucky Dip w/ Scott Avatar... 5 Negotiating, 8 EFT, 9 Match Making, 10 Promotion. Nice!

Eyeball
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Wow....guys, check out the "spreadsheet" function on the fighter screen. Whoever thought this up must make an excellent husband, 'cause this addition is very thoughtful and is bound to please lots of players who want a more systematic overview of their roster.

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
So are the rankings based on reputations still or reputation and other factors. Because looking down the list, it seems that some fighters have a higher reputation than some of the people above them.

This is covered in the help file.

Daffanka
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Never remove the cat. I always beeline for the cat.

I had my first card with ALPHA-1 and it was a lot of fun.

The match engine is a lot more varied. It's great.

Tamura vs. can in what was supposed to be a squash match ended with Tamura breaking his right hand in the first exchange and taking a tepid decision with jabs.

I love love love that you can have an actual striking battle now, no more kickboxers shooting takedowns.

Leg kicks actually do stuff now. Disappointed there doesn't seem to be any TKO (leg kicks) though.

Hype can backfire badly. I massively hyped a fight that ended up being just all right and it was scored very poor.

On the other hand hype can be great. A two round all action fight that was hyped got a fantastic rating.

Love all the improvements. :)

EddieFnG
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Whenever I make a match, and ask for fan feedback, all it tells me is "The fans would find this a worthy main event"

I'm booking this as the 3rd match on the card, should this go in the technical subforum?

Derek B
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Loving the new skin, it's pretty. I also love the names of the achievements, some of them made me chuckle. Looking forward to seeing how long it takes to achieve everything in there. :)

Should probably go play properly... lucky me with a free evening to give this a good look over.

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought You got to pick of the night bonus.

Clarity
12-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Initial Impression... Holy crap... 6 out the 16 renders on the splash screen are mine.... :D

Daffanka
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Whenever I make a match, and ask for fan feedback, all it tells me is "The fans would find this a worthy main event"

I'm booking this as the 3rd match on the card, should this go in the technical subforum?

ALPHA-1 and GAMMA are both low level national with a whole bunch of stars. You're going to have a lot of those match ups.

HansLanda11
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
I love the export fighters/companies option. Amazing!

ShaunGBD
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM
How do I make company feedler leagues to my company?

how Do I do it in the game and how do I do it in the editor?

Edit: Found it

brashleyholland
12-04-2010, 03:10 PM

No, it's just telling you that you could use that fight to main event a card. Whether you chose to put it on the undercard or not is your choice. Take tonight's TUF Finale for example - Maia vs Grove would I'm sure get the "The fans would accept this as a worthy main event" message if it was booked in WMMA, yet it's 3rd from the top on the card.

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 03:11 PM
And I'm geeking out at spotting some of my work being used in the game. :) Downside it looks like only one of my images was used but hey, at least I made it into the game :)

EddieFnG
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
No, it's just telling you that you could use that fight to main event a card. Whether you chose to put it on the undercard or not is your choice. Take tonight's TUF Finale for example - Maia vs Grove would I'm sure get the "The fans would accept this as a worthy main event" message if it was booked in WMMA, yet it's 3rd from the top on the card.

Yeah, as I booked some more fights I figured this out, cheers for the response.

grits207
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Here are a bunch of random thoughts and observations from my first playthrough of the demo.

-First thing that I noticed upon opening is how nice the graphics are. I would probably go as far as to say it is the best looking default skin in any GDS game I have played.

-I was a little disappointed to see that BCF no longer the wacky rules they had in the previous WMMA games.

-The new profile layout is going to take some getting used to just but I think it's a good improvement over the WMMA 2 profiles. There is far more information in the profiles than there used to be.

-I kind of miss the belt system because it made it easier to tell what a fighter was good at at a glance, but I understand it was a necessary sacrifice because of the Fog of War feature. The ability to change the order of the scouting report is quite useful. I do wish, however, that the text was color coded to make it a bit easier on the eyes.

-On a related note, I am glad I'm not going to be able to rely so heavily on the scouting reports anymore as it used to be too easy to book my up-and-comers in fights I knew they would win.

-The amount of improvements is extremely impressive and there are still a few a few features I haven't gotten around to trying. Well done, Mr. Ryland.

Undertaker666
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
I thought You got to pick of the night bonus.

Your Office > Finances

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Just found Siemazko, who uses a full body render done for Scout/Guide (from the TEW series). Awesome. Time to push him to the moon.

gottabekb
12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
This thread is for people to post their initial reactions to the trial \ public beta, to stop the forum getting crazy with lots of different threads on the same topic.

Lance Decker is currently my mortal enemy.

Self
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Just found Siemazko, who uses a full body render done for Scout/Guide (from the TEW series). Awesome. Time to push him to the moon.

Sqwee!

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Leg kicks actually do stuff now. Disappointed there doesn't seem to be any TKO (leg kicks) though.

There is, but they're very rare.

rcg916
12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
What a great game. Much more thorough, and the matches are far more realistic when you read them. Nice job.

EddieFnG
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Anybody found the Sheamus look-a-like yet? :P

Chris2K
12-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Heh, Lance Decker's getting on my nerves too!

I've enjoyed it thus far, but as a player who enjoys the real-life databases more I'll be playing more often when there's a data release :).

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I loving how much detail the fighter's profile screen has

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I just had to restart my demo download, so haven't been able to play yet.

How long does the demo allow you to play?

Do you still have to stop an auto sim every single time you get a new e-mail or a new decision, or is there an option to select what does and doesn't stop an auto sim?

BJJisLIFE
12-04-2010, 03:48 PM

The Kofi Kingston one is 'Coltrane Aaronson'

I believe Murray 'Scarlet' O'Hare is who you're looking for.

BJJisLIFE
12-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I just had to restart my demo download, so haven't been able to play yet.

How long does the demo allow you to play?

Do you still have to stop an auto sim every single time you get a new e-mail or a new decision, or is there an option to select what does and doesn't stop an auto sim?

You get 2 months. The sim does stop for Important eMails and Decisions. Can't see anyway to stop it.

ShadowedFlames
12-04-2010, 03:53 PM
First thoughts:

From 4 promotions in WMMA to 20+ here...nice. I'm still surprised that SIGMA is still around (and world #3 at that!)--never thought that my throw-away suggestion would still be in the series two iterations/three years later.

I'll second the skin comment, very nicely done. Looks like the database is quite detailed, I may have to get this one after the New Year since I took a pass on WMMA2. Kudos to all involved.

Bossman
12-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Damn, Sukarno's salary is huge. I didn't notice it at first so I put him into a 8-man tournament and it cost me over 2 million dollars. Is it supposed to be that high? The AI will definately go bankrupt if it uses him.

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 03:58 PM

Yeah, trying to bring him in but he's locked into a contract. Damn.

Rathen4
12-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Sqwee!

He just damn near punched his opponent's head off within 30 seconds, Self. Awesome.

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
You get 2 months. The sim does stop for Important eMails and Decisions. Can't see anyway to stop it.

Ugggghhhhh this is one of my biggest gripes with the game.

I can see it stopping for contract negotiations since the game probably needs to handle those to continue, but to stop the sim only to tell you that Fighter X is back to training or Fighter Y you signed is now free to work in your promotion, these are NOT important e-mails that can't just be read at the end of the week all at once if you are simming a week at a time, for example, as opposed to being interrupted 3-4 times while trying to sim one week.

jakep
12-04-2010, 04:02 PM
When I try to Start a New Game I get
"Run Time Error 58
File Already Exists"

Works when I run as admin (Windows 7). Maybe consider adding that to the help file where it suggests the same solution for Vista?

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Ugggghhhhh this is one of my biggest gripes with the game.

I can see it stopping for contract negotiations since the game probably needs to handle those to continue, but to stop the sim only to tell you that Fighter X is back to training or Fighter Y you signed is now free to work in your promotion, these are NOT important e-mails that can't just be read at the end of the week all at once if you are simming a week at a time, for example, as opposed to being interrupted 3-4 times while trying to sim one week.

It stops for IMPORTANT e-mails only, that is a big difference.

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:07 PM
When I try to Start a New Game I get
"Run Time Error 58
File Already Exists"

Works when I run as admin (Windows 7). Maybe consider adding that to the help file where it suggests the same solution for Vista?

The help file (and FAQs) do say that you need to be in admin mode for all the most recent versions of Windows?

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
It stops for IMPORTANT e-mails only, that is a big difference.

Is that different than WMMA2, or the same way?

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Is that different than WMMA2, or the same way?

"that is a big difference"

12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Can someone else try out a 4-man tournament. I just ran 4 on 1 card and all the finals turned into Aaron McBroom vs Aaron McBroom. 8 man tourney's work fine.

Safe to say Aaron McBroom now holds 4 Alpha-1 Championships thanks to beating himself up.

And in the Heavyweight 8-Man tournament Hassan Fezzik LOST in the semi's to Armen Saskian by TKO.

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Can someone else try out a 4-man tournament. I just ran 4 on 1 card and all the finals turned into Aaron McBroom vs Aaron McBroom. 8 man tourney's work fine.

Safe to say Aaron McBroom now holds 4 Alpha-1 Championships thanks to beating himself up.

And in the Heavyweight 8-Man tournament Hassan Fezzik LOST in the semi's to Armen Saskian by TKO.

This has already been reported and answered - you can only have one tournament per card, the block that should stop you from doing more is currently not working. You will get errors if you try to do more than one as a result.

Daffanka
12-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Haha I love the Cecil's People achievement.

e: Wow looking at the achievements makes it seems like A LOT of cool stuff can happen. Peruvian neckties? Leg kick TKOs? Woot.

12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
This has already been reported and answered - you can only have one tournament per card, the block that should stop you from doing more is currently not working. You will get errors if you try to do more than one as a result.

Thanks.

nimblehippo
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
i don't seem to have the option for a tournament, or the option to make the fight a prelim fight

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:24 PM
i don't seem to have the option for a tournament, or the option to make the fight a prelim fight

You can only do tournaments in regions where MMA isn't regulated.

Prelims are covered in the help file.

20LEgend
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Adam please tell me New Zealander Murray Darby is a Flight of the Conchords reference. It must be! :D

Sons of Kohral
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Where can I find the odds after i make my event?

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 04:47 PM
One big thing I have determined from first 10 minutes in the game that it's a bit overwhelming and time consuming without the belts to determine who is and isn't a good fighter.

I think it would be VERY helpful to implement a colour-coded system where perhaps every percentage under 50 % is listed in red colour, everything 50 to 70 per cent is in yellow, everything 70 and up is green and perhaps everything 80 and 90 and up is .. blue?

I don't know, but something to help the eyes quickly differentiate.

That's my first impression, I almost prefer when there is more 'fog' on a fighter as I can get a quick and dirty overview only looking at the main key factors, as opposed to having to decide myself how the percentages add up to make the complete fighter.

To be honest it almost seems as if there is more fog on a fighter's OVERALL skills (but not individual skills) when there is less fog.

I think it would also be good if with less fog on you had the SAME things you have with less fog, plus the more detail.

So instead of just all the percentages, you would have:

Striking: Strong
Boxing skill: 80 per cent
Kicks: 80 per cent
Elusivenss, 75 per cent
etc.

Ground skills: Weak
Guard Passing: 20 per cent
Wrestling: 10 per cent
etc etc.

SammoHung
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Zomg, my first reaction was : "OMG they are SO changed", referred to my favourite female fighters :D ! Great renders, but i admit, i loved the slightly unrealistic old ones. Oh well, i guess i will edit them back and keep the uber-cool new renders in store for some other fighter i create:D.
Anyway, so far the game has been great fun: I gave a title shot to Palmer Lette right away....and surely he missed weight, lol.

Spotted a couple of typos in the text of the pre-fights btw, like "A moment of madness OF genius" instead of "madness oR genius". If i spot a few more i am gonna post them in the bugs sub-forum, already saw one reported there. :-)

That being said, THE GAME LOOKS and FEELS AWESOME!!!

SammoHung
12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
One big thing I have determined from first 10 minutes in the game that it's a bit overwhelming and time consuming without the belts to determine who is and isn't a good fighter.

I think it would be VERY helpful to implement a colour-coded system where perhaps every percentage under 50 % is listed in red colour, everything 50 to 70 per cent is in yellow, everything 70 and up is green and perhaps everything 80 and 90 and up is .. blue?

I don't know, but something to help the eyes quickly differentiate.

Ain't the suggestion forum, but i just need to express my strong support for this one :-) I find as well a bit difficult to differentiate at first glance and color coding sounds pretty good of a choice.

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Ain't the suggestion forum, but i just need to express my strong support for this one :-) I find as well a bit difficult to differentiate at first glance and color coding sounds pretty good of a choice.

It's an initial reaction thread and that is my initial reaction.

I'm sure I will post up a detailed suggestion post sometime within the next couple days, but there's really no need to divert talking about the game away from the thread where most of the discussion is taking place.

Deathwing416
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I've always wondered what Mantas Andreyev looked like. Now not only do I see him I get to put him fights. Awesome. Also not having to wait 8 years to use Dorosklov is awesome to.

12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Achievements seem to not be working.

I just had a fight end in a Submission via Toe Hold but didnt get the "Toe the Company Line" achievement.

Had a quick search of this thread and didnt see anything mentioned, but apologize if this has been adressed.

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Achievements seem to not be working.

I just had a fight end in a Submission via Toe Hold but didnt get the "Toe the Company Line" achievement.

Had a quick search of this thread and didnt see anything mentioned, but apologize if this has been adressed.

Did you actually witness the event? This is covered explicitly in the help file, you have to actually read the text to get the achievement.

Brush With Greatness
12-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Quick Impressions:

I would LOVE to somehow have the the Roster Analysis screen directly accessible from the add match screen and not merely from the event screen.

I second the colour coding, even if it is only the Green, Yellow, Red as currently used on the Comparison screen.

Also, can someone confirm where the odds can be viewed?

12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Did you actually witness the event? This is covered explicitly in the help file, you have to actually read the text to get the achievement.

Ok that explains it, that was a fight I skipped. Shame as I will probably never see it happen again, and since I will skip most matches my Achievement page will stay largely empty.

I get the logic behind having achievements linked to the line of text from a programming point of view, but is there no way to trigger the achievement without viewing the line of text, as I thought with things like strikes being trackable now the game would know there had been an eye-poke (for example) and trigger the achievement. (I am probably completely wrong but think it is worth enquiring about)

Just for me it would be nice to get achievements without having to watch fights, as I find it gets tedious watching each fight on the card.

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 05:13 PM
It could be done, but I think that would really make the feature much poorer - given that there are hundreds of fights per year in every game, you (and pretty much every single other player) would have soon gotten every achievement without even lifting a finger, and there's no real achievement in that. The point of it was to reward the people who read the text, and to highlight exactly how deep and varied the match engine is.

12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
It could be done, but I think that would really make the feature much poorer - given that there are hundreds of fights per year in every game, you (and pretty much every single other player) would have soon gotten every achievement without even lifting a finger, and there's no real achievement in that. The point of it was to reward the people who read the text, and to highlight exactly how deep and varied the match engine is.

I realised that would be the reason as soon as I posted and all-though it slightly annoys me, I agree with you.

Brush With Greatness
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Where can I find the odds after i make my event?

Also, can someone confirm where the odds can be viewed?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

Adam Ryland
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

They're on the Tale Of The Tape screen when you are having a match.

Brush With Greatness
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks a bunch. I did not even realize that you could click there.

Brush With Greatness
12-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Another quick thought...

There are still too many clicks involved with Negotiating in response to an email.

Presently, when I receive an email stating that a fighter's contract is coming to an end, I need to click 7 times to negotiate with him and then get back to the email screen.

If there was some way to click "Negotiate" directly from the email screen (along with a confirmation) you would cut this down to two clicks.

Perhaps this could be integrated under the "View Fighter'" and "View Company" links.

BrokenCycle
12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I am really not liking the match making screen. I think there should definitely be fighter pictures in here somewhere, because seeing a giant wall of text is really confusing.

ripwalk
12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I am really not liking the match making screen. I think there should definitely be fighter pictures in here somewhere, because seeing a giant wall of text is really confusing.

Agree. Sometimes I recognize guys more by their picture than by their name, so it's tedious to have to open up profiles to see photos. Even if it's just a headshot that would be helpful.

BlizzardVeers
12-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh my. Adam. The database tools. I love you. This is the first feature I've actually noticed, aside from the cleanness of the actual UI. The database tools are going to make it so much easier .. plus the statistical breakdown? That's awesome. These are small things, but the mass edits, and the depth of the mass edits, with the little sidebar is just so -so- nice. I'm used to the daunting task of going through every single person and editing each and every single stat where I think it should be.. and.. I'm very happy with this already, and I haven't even played with the actual engine yet.

bladed
12-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Well I am too excited right now, so I will just go ahead and post a little bit.

I didn't even know what to do first with this game so I just went ahead and made up an event, and then threw guys together into matches to see how the first event plans out. That is how far I have made it, but I will go ahead and post my initial reaction.

SOLD!!!!!!

I will for sure be picking this up next week.

I love TEW 2010, but sometimes I just want to setup matches and not worried about storylines and angles at all, which you cannot do with this game.

There is where WMMA3 comes in. I can get all the enjoyment of TEW 2010 (plus more because WMMA3 is a little more advanced) and have a very different work load.

I cannot wait until next week for release!

Thank you Adam!

Eyeball
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Agree. Sometimes I recognize guys more by their picture than by their name, so it's tedious to have to open up profiles to see photos. Even if it's just a headshot that would be helpful.

Me three. How about: all the text overlaid on the images of the fighters currently highlighted?

Jaded
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Awesome, awesome, awesome. My first ever fight saw a guy get robbed, winning all rounds 10-9 in the commentator's eyes but losing via split decision according to judges. Playing with the new Brazilian promotion and loving them - going to explore WEFF next. And the random user talents is great! Got 7/8/0/10, so I'm great at everything except match making.

Blackman
12-04-2010, 06:09 PM
the biggest change i noticed was how some of the fighters have been completely overhauled in fighting style and render. Though most male fighters made it through unscathed, I noticed Sayoko Ebisawa has been changed completely. Though I don't mind that much, it does seem awkward given that the render looked awesome and I grew accustomed to her style and stuff, given she WAS one of the top female fighters in the database, so it's slightly odd.

AlexB
12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Me three. How about: all the text overlaid on the images of the fighters currently highlighted?

Or split the fighter's name window into two: there seems to be room to have a headshote on the right and the names on the left.

Fantabulous
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
It's at least one area where WMMA2 is superior. In some places, including the match making, the text is bunched together too much and could do with being spaced apart better.

Jaded
12-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Manuel Silva is a BEAST. Just won an 8-man tournament, taking out Orlando de Carvalho and Claudio Palacios in a grand total of 3 minutes and 16 seconds, although he needed the judges to get past Hamilton Fonseca Jr. He also got KO of the night and fight of the night. (Adam, any chance KO of the night could say who it's against? I'm not sure WHICH of his massacres in that tournament he won it for. Not that it matters, just wondering.)

LoNdOn
12-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Awesome, awesome, awesome. My first ever fight saw a guy get robbed, winning all rounds 10-9 in the commentator's eyes but losing via split decision according to judges. Playing with the new Brazilian promotion and loving them - going to explore WEFF next. And the random user talents is great! Got 7/8/0/10, so I'm great at everything except match making.

THIS

What really annoyed me was that it was one of my renders that got screwed over. Poor Thomaz de Miranda. Damn you Peter Bracewell. Damn you judges. GAH! :)

AlexB
12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Seems to me the timer on the PBP is slower than WMMA2 - IMHO could do with speeding up slightly (or even better have a manual slider/setting)

curtains
12-04-2010, 06:49 PM
It's at least one area where WMMA2 is superior. In some places, including the match making, the text is bunched together too much and could do with being spaced apart better.

I agree, very tough only seeing the name in some spots. The pictures are what made the fighters so recognizable, and with 1k+ fighters it's even more important to have that photo beside them whenever possible.

Hawk1665
12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Haven't ran a show yet (I have three scheduled for ALPHA-1), here are some thoughts as I go.

- People are praising the layout & graphics. For good reason. The layout of everything feels crisp and clean. It's clear a lot of time was put into this aspect and it is greatly appreciated.

- I'll buck the trend I see, and say I LIKE not knowing how good of a fighter a guy is. Add in the random element to fighter stats and it prevents the "mad dash" at the start to sign all the prospects. Unless you went and looked at the fighter's skills in the editor. Kind of defeats the purpose if you do that though.

- There are a TON of new fighters. Japan in particular has gotten many new fighters, and a lot of prospects. Another greatly appreciated feature. Actually running a "real" Japanese promotion requires a lot of Japanese fighters. In the past games you'd end up forced to hire 20-19 guys to fill your ranks.

- At first, I was completely put off by the booking screen but I already see how quick & powerful it is. While it's not the "Booking Matrix", it has every bit of information you could want. I also really like the ability to compare & contrast the two fighters. If you want to run a "High competitive game" that would allow you to make good match ups. Or complete mismatches if you go the other way. Once you get used to the format it's so much more functional then anything we've had thus far.

- The first time I went "Whoa" while playing was when I went to the ranking screen, and saw that when you hover the mouse over the fighter's name their profile will pop up on the right bar. Blew my damned mind, that.

- I like how in negotiations, a fighter EXPLAINS why they want what they want. "I do not feel that this contract is long enough to fit in all the fights" is so much better then "I don't want to sign a contract that long".

- Delegating is AWESOME. There is no debate. AWESOME.

- I was just blocked in trying to sign Tomoji Takaoka. Meiji Nishimura felt he was worth no more then 5,000 per fight. He probably wasn't even worth that, so I like that. Keeps the player from making stupid unrealistic decisions. Plus it's entirely optional and can be turned off. That's a bonus.

- An independent show ran. I was able to use a drop down to look up all the fighters on the card. Yet another very nice feature.

- I really like the little "award" icons on the fighter profile screen. By looking at it, you can instantly find out if they are in the top ten, top twenty, ranked P4P, hold a title, or have won year awards. Nothing ground breaking, but I really like it. It helps make the profiles mean something more then just information.

- I just signed Toby "The Judoka Who'll Choke Ya" Sorkin. How can you hate a name like that?

- I just signed Wilson Franklyn vs. 300+ pound Filipino Efran Luat. That has no bearing on the features. I just felt like noting it.

- Just got to my first event. I really like how the fight is laid out, with ROUND BEGINS at the bottom, the time in the corner, and all that jazz. "BIG STRIKE!" got a chuckle out of me.

- Keita Oshima beat the crap of Bakin Sakamoto for the entire ten minutes of round one, then spent the next two rounds running away. I can't tell if he just got tired, or if the AI made a calculated decision...He won the JD regardless.

- Fujimaro Hidaka becomes the first guy I've seen use feints. He got into the pocket and feinted a few times. Oiwa bit and the two began swinging leading to Hidaka MURDERIZING Oiwa with a hook for the KO.

- I just got my first brutal referee stoppage. Chew Chua blocked a TD from Simon Vine, then began to throw haymakers from the pocket. Vine got cracked and backpedaled into the ropes trapping himself. From there, Chua unleashed until Vine collapsed and the referee stopped the fight.

- The "One knee to the face from the Muay Thai Clinch KO" bug appears to be gone. Heiji Endo just survived one from Sriyanto. Or ten.

- Another nice addition, is a fighter can miss their "counter" blow on takedowns. Sriyanto whiffed on his, and was taken down for it.

- I don't know if I just got a "bad decision" of if the game weighs damage far heavier now. Heiji Endo controlled rounds 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 through wrestling. Sriyanto beat the crap out of Endo in round three with knees and elbows...and the judges gave the win, and the title to Sriyanto. I'm baffled by that...at the same time, I'm baffled by 90% of the JD in real life. REALISM~!

- My "Commercial Rating" was "Great". My "Critical Rating" was "Average". So I made a ton of money, but I didn't put on a good show for the hardcores. Very cool.

- Chew Chua after murdering a man named Simon Vine has requested a fight with Yeijiro Yamamoto. I'm not sure about that one...

- Takafumi Ando, after being destroyed in thirty seconds by Gerson Mauricio has requested a fight with Denbe Ekiguchi. I don't think he'll win that one either.

- Simon Vine, after being horrifically assaulted by Chew Chua is willing to fight again in 13 days. I don't think that's a good idea at all.

- I JUST figured out how to set prelims. You have to keep hitting the "down" button on the booking screen until it switches to Prelim. I only found it by randomly clicking. But...that saves extra clicks. Works for me.

- On my TV show, I got a KO from Chiba on Yamazaki from the "Turtle" position. I never once saw that in 1 or 2. Very cool.

- I have a new favorite fighter. Eiji Masuko. He just won a TV four man "Japanese" tournament beating the much more experienced Mikio Inouye in the finals. He couldn't armbar him (despite the text talking about "sick angles" and the like), so he just got behind him and choked Inouye into unconsciousness. Epic.

- Masuko, all 3-0 of him, wants a fight with Go Yamamoto. Uh. No?

- Masuko is now low level national, and an aura of 74% off two fights. In one show I made a new headline attraction. The fact that people are scared of him is amusing as all hell.

- Murder #2. Syed Tan countered a Carlos da Guida spinning back kick with a punch to the face. He then went BERSERKER mode with stomps and soccer kicks until the referee saved Guida's life.

- Palmer Lette came into his fight with Fujimoto under-prepared. After the loss, Lette announced a leave of absence from fighting to return home. Poor Daddy Bear. :(

I could keep going, but this has turned into more of a journal then anything. Not really what I originally intended...

kjuice14
12-04-2010, 06:56 PM
hey, one thing i noticed is when im in the roster analysis screen, the cells dont allow me to order the fighters in descending order (of name, of rank etc) this is useful for me as i pick fights with the help of people with similar reputations. it woud help if i can order them, saving me the time of having to go through each person and trying to remember if each person was picked or not. thanks

Derek B
12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Seems to me the timer on the PBP is slower than WMMA2 - IMHO could do with speeding up slightly (or even better have a manual slider/setting)

From the first screen when you open the game there is a "PBP Controls" button on the top right of the screen... choose your preferred speed there. :)

AlexB
12-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Just a small thing: maybe the 'Back' button on the PBP ought to face the opposite direction?

AlexB
12-04-2010, 06:59 PM
From the first screen when you open the game there is a "PBP Controls" button on the top right of the screen... choose your preferred speed there. :)

Exactly what I needed :o

TheKenwyne
12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
lolol Luigi Kolanski just got KO'd by a Local Fighter lolol :D

AlexB
12-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I think I like the Fog of War level with the text more than the levels with the percentages!

AlexB
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Is there any way in which the fighter's own ranking can be logged along with that of the opponent in the fight history?

D16NJD16
12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
This has to be the first game Adam has ever made for GDS where someone hasn't had a fit over the default skin. I'm impressed

Tag01
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM

This is my only complaint. No fighter pictures at the booking screen is a bummer, but if it cuts down load times or something I can live with it.

smurphy1014
12-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Ran my first show with FLB. Two awesome spots IMO: 1. MW champ Braulio Moura was dominated for 3 rounds by Thais Antonio Taffarel when out of nowhere he knocks out Taffarel at the 1:27 mark in round 4 to retain the belt (and win KO of the Night). 2. Gladstone Lopes wins the Heavyweight belt with a KO via soccer kick to a turtled Elzo Alves Moura. Loving the game so far. :D

Daffanka
12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
^^^^^^^^^ Wow uncanny. Guess Lopes is really good at soccer kicking dudes in the head. ^^^^^^^^^^

Is there any way in which the fighter's own ranking can be logged along with that of the opponent in the fight history?

I think Adam said that rankings are logged yearly in achievements but I could be misremembering.

Also I just had Gladstone Lopes take the FLB title by brutal soccer kick KO. Really loving this Brazilian promotion though I'm probably gonna have to add more networks and PPV carriers to make it feasible to grow huge.

grits207
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM

I agree with this. Even just having the fighter's headshot would be an improvement.

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 07:28 PM
ok another thing I ran into for the game that might help improve things just a touch: when negotiating in the game it would be nice if those we were making deals with (either for TV shows, fighters, etc) gave us hints instead of "no or yes". Like when trying to secure a TV deal they say something like "we want a higher maximum fight" or lower, etc

AlexB
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
End of night's play: overall fist impressions:

It will take time to get used to the new GUI, but the level of clicking seems to be greatly reduced, which can only be a good thing

I need to get hold of Excel to see what the spreadsheet function is all about

I kinda miss the announcers on the PBP screen!

Like the fact you can see the momentum on the fighter lists - wish you could search by it as well though :(

Love the quicker loading times day by day

The matchmaking screen and scout screen at first seem a little overwhelming and difficult to assess (especially when FOW is lifted beyond the text to numbers, and even more so when the numbers become tenths of %ges)

Although I've found sorting by quality alleviates this a little

The prompt to move on to the next fight in the PBP gets in the way of the statistics screen

Negotiation process is better than WMMA2, ad the only time Ive delegated I really did not like the result - glad it is only a demo game! (the game allocated an exclusive contract which was what was highlighted when I click delegate - if I had scrolled down to leave standard or associate highlighted, would it have chosen that contract type?)

I'm buying it anyway, but it immediately feels like a small improvement in a number of areas, but the length of demo means that you can't really assess the overall progress.

12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
Soccer kicks are so cool. Just ran a fight between Rafael Van Der Moot (my new favourite) and Yoritomo Ina random Japanese fighter in Alpha-1. Ina went for a takedown, got caught face down, knee'd in the head (Big Strike) then a Soccer kick to the head (Big Strike & KO).

Would have loved to see that sequence in real life.

Same night, Xie Ming vs Simon Vine. Failed takedown by Vine who then turtles up, soccer kick to the ribs, soccer kick to the head (KO). Soccer kicks are vicious. I Love Them.

Zvonomir Asanovic took a different route, executed a cut kick sweeping out his opponents legs then hits a huge right knocking his opponent unconscious.

I forgot the excitement a text based game can bring. :p

Brush With Greatness
12-04-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree with this. Even just having the fighter's headshot would be an improvement.

I fifth or sixth this, or whatever.

On the matchmaking screen, something along the lines of having head shots displayed under the "Hype Level" and second "Title" columns, or something along those lines and compacting the names a little bit.

TEWFan
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Now you understand how painful it has been to play this game for the past 3-4 days and being unable to tell anyone anything. I mean, I found so many "OMG!" moments that I even told my girlfriend. She understands, just some minor eye rolling and deep breaths followed ;)

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Another note about the game: Dude the fighters call each other out and send you emails asking for fights. Epic

Mattduck
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Most of the game is great. The BCF CEO actually blocked me from hiring a fighter by putting a max on what I could spend-:mad:totally pissed me off:mad:. But then I saw the option to turn that feature off. (so i'm better now).:D Only 2 things I don't care for- the skin is terrible and I liked the annoncers going back and forth while calling the matches in WMMA2.

weidt
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I just glanced over WMMA3 and its nice to see the various new features, expanded gameplay and improved editor.

My trial version didn't have any logos for the PPV and TV stations, are there none? Seems odd since TEW has basically the same ones.

Also, I scrolled through the fighter lists to check out what Adam did with my dozens of renders and was a bit baffled that many of my female renders were used to replace renders used in WMMA1 and WMMA2. Sayako Ebisawa was changed?! There was nothing wrong with any of the original renders, so just makes no sense. What's the story with all the render changes? It certainly effects immersion when dozens of fighters from the previous games now have new completely different looking renders.

Wrestling Century
12-04-2010, 10:58 PM
I noticed that one of the guys in the FLB promotion has the same face/head render as Lassana Makutsi in the TEW games. I think that his name was Zeco or something, but I can't be sure since I'm new to the WMMA database.

ProphetX
12-04-2010, 11:00 PM
how do you set up tournaments in the game?

BrokenCycle
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
This has to be the first game Adam has ever made for GDS where someone hasn't had a fit over the default skin. I'm impressed
Only thing I hate is the title screen. Jags galore.

Like, is there any way to release the original renders and have the community cut them out again? I'm sure an army of forum members would be willing to do it to help the game's presentation.

brashleyholland
12-04-2010, 11:49 PM
how do you set up tournaments in the game?

Same as before, but you can't run them if you're in a regulated region. You need to be somewhere like Japan that is unregulated.

Pinke
12-05-2010, 12:04 AM
I like mostly so far.

Some of the render swaps like Katy-Jayne Paulson are a bit confusing. Her original render was okay. I guess it was a bit S&Mish or something? Or the changes were to fit fighters into the Brazil org or something? Don't know!

Render changes I noticed:

Kochiyo Chikamatsu
Leona 'Dizzy' Deschanel (Why?)
Louise Griffin (fair enough)
Lula Boneshaker
Maja Ukraden
Marion Reynolds
Maya Komagata
Monica 'Mayhem' Masters (why?)
'The Icer' Natasha Mellow (50/50)
Rhonda Britton (now a black woman!)
Sonya Charlton (new white edition!)
Viv Yoman (pastey white bitch edition)

I get the impression a lot of the women changes were to make it more legit looking fighters rather than swim suit models and tattoo'd faces and such ... some of them though at just completely different fighters and I'd have sooner seen some other renders switched out. At some points the person is becoming white - it's such a huge change.

I'm not sure that anyone would need to cut anything ... Couldn't we just out put proper alpha channels?

ProphetX
12-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Same as before, but you can't run them if you're in a regulated region. You need to be somewhere like Japan that is unregulated.

Same as WMMA 1? because thats the game I own and I don't ever recall that being a feature in the game

PilotMan
12-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Love it.

curtains
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I like mostly so far.

Some of the render swaps like Katy-Jayne Paulson are a bit confusing. Her original render was okay. I guess it was a bit S&Mish or something? Or the changes were to fit fighters into the Brazil org or something? Don't know!

Render changes I noticed:

Kochiyo Chikamatsu
Leona 'Dizzy' Deschanel (Why?)
Louise Griffin (fair enough)
Lula Boneshaker
Maja Ukraden
Marion Reynolds
Maya Komagata
Monica 'Mayhem' Masters (why?)
'The Icer' Natasha Mellow (50/50)
Rhonda Britton (now a black woman!)
Sonya Charlton (new white edition!)
Viv Yoman (pastey white bitch edition)

I get the impression a lot of the women changes were to make it more legit looking fighters rather than swim suit models and tattoo'd faces and such ... some of them though at just completely different fighters and I'd have sooner seen some other renders switched out. At some points the person is becoming white - it's such a huge change.

I'm not sure that anyone would need to cut anything ... Couldn't we just out put proper alpha channels?

Ok but not too difficult to just switch the old renders back :)

brashleyholland
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Same as WMMA 1? because thats the game I own and I don't ever recall that being a feature in the game

?? There were no tournaments in WMMA1, were there?

You set up a tourney exactly the same as you do in WMMA2. The option isn't there if you're in a regulated region though.

ripwalk
12-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Apparently I don't have excel on this computer. Can someone explain to me what the spreadsheet option is/what it does for you?

Aldenvdk
12-05-2010, 12:33 AM
umm where do I download it? :S

FlameSnoopy
12-05-2010, 12:34 AM
umm where do I download it? :S

From the pinned topics. I recommend this link:

http://www.multiupload.com/EH5YMLTOJ9

brashleyholland
12-05-2010, 12:35 AM
After a week's worth of playing I'm still seeing new things in the fight engine. Just witnessed my first KO from a jab. Awesome :D

Rebby
12-05-2010, 12:35 AM
Apparently I don't have excel on this computer. Can someone explain to me what the spreadsheet option is/what it does for you?

It'll put everything in a neat little spreadsheet for you, so you can sort the fighters by various statistics and information

ProphetX
12-05-2010, 12:41 AM
?? There were no tournaments in WMMA1, were there?

You set up a tourney exactly the same as you do in WMMA2. The option isn't there if you're in a regulated region though.

Right, thats my point. I don't own WMMA2 and after poking around in the WMMA3 demo I have yet to find it

Pinke
12-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Ok but not too difficult to just switch the old renders back :)

True but I would rather make some of them new fighters. I guess its a balance thing.

praguepride
12-05-2010, 12:46 AM
It's fun, and full of surprises.

Emi Nagano and some random undercard put on a match of the night for XCC :eek:

(emi picked up the win with a big knockout 2 round)

brashleyholland
12-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Right, thats my point. I don't own WMMA2 and after poking around in the WMMA3 demo I have yet to find it

Ahh, I get you.

So basically all you do is click matchmaking, schedule a card then click 'Add Match'. Then you get a pop up box asking you if you want to book a match, a 4-man tourney or an 8-man tourney.

Remember if you're in a region where MMA is regulated, you can't run tourneys, so the option just doesn't come up.

Hope that helps! :)

green poncho
12-05-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm loving the local events.

Rather than two unsigned fighters getting a fight against each other every other month, seems like at least every week 8 unsigned fighters get a nice W.

ThriceP86
12-05-2010, 02:28 AM
I second you on that green poncho.

And even better, the ability to give the local wrestlers' names in the options screen. :)

TakerNGN74
12-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Yep its pretty sweet! That way the result won't just say Local fighter defeated Local Fighter or whatever it would say.

ProphetX
12-05-2010, 02:49 AM
yes it does, thank you very much!

Aldenvdk
12-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Wow ! fun game and when I went to make a character and saw that you made it so faces and bodies are together thats awesome (hopefully thats understandable)

Edit: I like the way you can create people now, with the feint punches, head movement, creative punches/kicks, when he declines, retirement age, death, how good he is at weight cutting, stances.

Very good :D

Edit 2: Can choose if he is a fan favourite and if he's good looking and stuff. Wow great game Adam !

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 03:23 AM
In response to some of the feedback, please note that the Add Match screen will be adjusted to show small face pics by the side of each character. This change will be in the retail version of the game.

mjdgoldeneye
12-05-2010, 04:00 AM
I actually had Lopes lose a title match on my first show. It was a pretty boring fight and at the end, the champ just randomly knocked him out. I haven't had any awesome moments yet, but I've only run 1 show. (Someone's nose did get broken, though. :D)

Only thing I hate is the title screen. Jags galore.

I just don't understand why the icons are so low res. They look like they match up with games that should be played on Windows 95... :p It's befuddlingly silly! It has no effect on the game, of course, but every time I load the game, I spend 5 seconds thinking "WTF?".

In response to some of the feedback, please note that the Add Match screen will be adjusted to show small face pics by the side of each character. This change will be in the retail version of the game.

That's why GDS is awesome. :D

kjuice14
12-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Will the ability to order fighters in the roster analysis screen be implemented?

jakep
12-05-2010, 04:39 AM
The help file (and FAQs) do say that you need to be in admin mode for all the most recent versions of Windows?

Actually Adam no it does not say that. It says this, "Please note that if you are running the game under Windows Vista, it MUST be specifically run under administrator privileges; this is not the same thing as running the game on a machine that is being run by someone who is set as an admin. If you are unsure of how to check, please see the pinned FAQ in the Technical Support forum."

This is the only mention of Windows in your help file, so I stick to my suggestion, thank you.

12-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Yay...that was the one thing I was going to suggest but was beaten to it. Can't wait for the full release. Need to see how good Van Der Moot can be.

adzesc
12-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Loving the demo such much its made me want to make my first post on the forum.

Anyone seen the absorb button in corporate relations. Nice little feature

sebsplex
12-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Like, is there any way to release the original renders and have the community cut them out again? I'm sure an army of forum members would be willing to do it to help the game's presentation.

The renders never were 'cut' as such. They've been converted to / or saved as transparent .gifs to eliminate the background, but that will always leave some pixelation or choppiness around the edges.

I don't do a lot of work with gifs myself, so I'm not sure if they could be cleaned up further after this or not.

Scottie
12-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Yeah, it is always going to be a problem on a non-black background unless you can find the original .PNGs.

mitze90
12-05-2010, 06:31 AM
One thing im not liking is that with attributes arnt shown as belts (i used letters in WMMA2) this means at a glance you cant see a fighter best skills youve actually got to read it all.

12-05-2010, 06:34 AM
One thing im not liking is that with attributes arnt shown as belts (i used letters in WMMA2) this means at a glance you cant see a fighter best skills youve actually got to read it all.

When you are on a fighters "Scout" screen there is a drop down menu, which you can set to "Quality" which sorts the skills by how good the fighter is at it.

mitze90
12-05-2010, 06:44 AM
When you are on a fighters "Scout" screen there is a drop down menu, which you can set to "Quality" which sorts the skills by how good the fighter is at it.

I know but you still cant see at a glance, for example in WMMA2 id pretty much ignore the top 2 lines of skills as they werent "fighting" skills, if i sort WMMA 3 by quality it will jumble everything up.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 09:34 AM
The game looks great so far and the match engine is so much improved I'm having a blast reading through the fights and I'm actually excited to put on great fights match-up wise to increase my own entertainment. There are a couple of things I've been wondering about the match engine, though:

- When a person sprawls with the bottom person turtling up, how can you soccer kick them to the head and the body if you're sprawled on top of them? If you just stand up for a moment to throw the kick, the guy on bottom would stand up or the position would change.

- Sometimes the fighters 'shoot for a double leg' but end up with 'it's a single leg, and fighter X pulls guard'. I know it's possible to switch it up if you don't blast the double leg through right away, but it just sounds a little unclear to me. Maybe it could be mentioned that the fighter switches it to a single leg on the way.

- When attempting an armbar from the mount, the bottom player has an option of 'stacks him up and punches away until fighter x lets go of the arm'. First, to do that you would have to roll over onto your feet to stack your opponent up, and if you 'punch away', your arm would get extended really quickly if you didn't retain your grip with your other arm.

- Also, I personally would be happy if in the match results submissions would be called by their entire name rather than shortened versions, for example Submission (Guillotine Choke) instead of Submission (Guillotine) or (Triangle Choke) instead of (Triangle), but then again, that's something majority of people won't even look at or notice.

- One major thing about the database and stats rather than actual match engine is the effectiveness of ground and pound. While I understand it might be a balancing thing, in real life ground and pound rarely finishes fights except for strikes from the mount or from the back mount and with the bottom fighter flattened out. I'm getting crazy amounts of fights ending via TKO by ground strikes when the winning fighter is in side control or half guard, and it usually ends fast, in round one. Usually ground and pound only finishes fights in real life following a knock down or after a couple of rounds of solid beating.

These are just minor gripes, I am nitpicking, but they're something that could be polished in my opinion. All in all though, WMMA 3 seems like an excellent game and I'm looking forward to playing the retail version!

caspian2
12-05-2010, 10:12 AM

Ah that will be awesome! Was missing the lack of full-body-shot usage this time around. Would be great if we could get more instances of the full renders and not just the faces. But great demo so far :D

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 10:32 AM
- When a person sprawls with the bottom person turtling up, how can you soccer kick them to the head and the body if you're sprawled on top of them? If you just stand up for a moment to throw the kick, the guy on bottom would stand up or the position would change.

Not everything is explicitly stated, otherwise the text would get bloated. It's assumed that they stand before going for the kick; as one of the counters is for the opponent to stand up, they do have that option.

- Sometimes the fighters 'shoot for a double leg' but end up with 'it's a single leg, and fighter X pulls guard'. I know it's possible to switch it up if you don't blast the double leg through right away, but it just sounds a little unclear to me. Maybe it could be mentioned that the fighter switches it to a single leg on the way.

Again, it's a case of not going into detailed specifics every time. It's assumed the fighter either switched mid-shot, or the double leg got blocked and so he then went to a single leg to finish.

- When attempting an armbar from the mount, the bottom player has an option of 'stacks him up and punches away until fighter x lets go of the arm'. First, to do that you would have to roll over onto your feet to stack your opponent up, and if you 'punch away', your arm would get extended really quickly if you didn't retain your grip with your other arm.

If you stacked them but maintained very close contact, perhaps knee-to-chest or pressing down on the legs, you should be able to throw short-range hammer fists without exposing your arm too much?

BlizzardVeers
12-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Well, after playing with the engine for a little bit, I began wondering if an alteration to the tactics of a fighter could be made. Would it be possible to add an 'affinity' to punches/kicks/knees or for submission guys, armlocks/leglocks/chokes? Something a fighter will go for more than an average fighter would, if this tactic is selected. It would make it more realistic for someone like a 2003 Cro Cop, or Nogueira. Unless I'm missing something with the background tactics. I've had a hard time getting certain fighters to perform to their strengths in certain fights that they could win much faster if they did, but I might just be doing it wrong.

drkflow
12-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Is it possible to add a small pic space for Fight Camp logos like in TEW with Dojos, that would make the game complete for me.

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
No. If it requires extra information to be stored to file then it is not viable, as the database would have to be rewritten to account for it.

SammoHung
12-05-2010, 11:16 AM

True, although for me the already mentioned drop-down menu that sorts the skills by quality is really cool.
On the other hand, love the color-coding used when you compare between 2 fighters! Informative and very very handy.

brashleyholland
12-05-2010, 11:41 AM

You can defend in that position with only one arm by turning your thumb - it stops the arm from getting locked out.

Eyeball
12-05-2010, 12:01 PM

This also struck me as odd - I've had situations where fighters would get have their shots sprawled and then get punched, kicked, punched twice, kicked again and so on, without any mention of the sprawler standing up to kick or anything.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Not everything is explicitly stated, otherwise the text would get bloated. It's assumed that they stand before going for the kick; as one of the counters is for the opponent to stand up, they do have that option.

Again, it's a case of not going into detailed specifics every time. It's assumed the fighter either switched mid-shot, or the double leg got blocked and so he then went to a single leg to finish.

If you stacked them but maintained very close contact, perhaps knee-to-chest or pressing down on the legs, you should be able to throw short-range hammer fists without exposing your arm too much?

Fair enough, I guess they weren't really that unclear, it was more a case of me lacking imagination. The only one that really made me wonder is the soccer kick off of a sprawl - it would seem really weird that a fighter just stays turtled up if the guy on top stands up to kick them, and then he drops back down to maybe deliver knees or punches.

These aren't 'issues', however, I'm loving the game so far. The match engine has really gone through some drastic improvement, especially reading the striking battles is actually exciting, and the new options off of submissions and more frequent scrambles have made the grappling very entertaining to read, too.

I haven't actually encountered any errors (that haven't been adressed, or any errors period), but I'll play around a bit more and come back if I find any.

Daffanka
12-05-2010, 12:11 PM
This also struck me as odd - I've had situations where fighters would get have their shots sprawled and then get punched, kicked, punched twice, kicked again and so on, without any mention of the sprawler standing up to kick or anything.

I would've thought it'd become really dull and superfluous really quickly if each strike had to be prefaced by "Fighter X gets to his feet to try to throw a kick" or something like that.

It's really not that hard to use your imagination a little bit in these situations. I am absolutely in love with the soccer kicks and new attacks from the sprawl - it always annoyed me to see wrestlers dive into sprawls the entire fight and lose a terrible decision.

TEWFan
12-05-2010, 12:13 PM
We have to use our imagination. Writing everything as part of the match description would add to longer, boring write-ups.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I would've thought it'd become really dull and superfluous really quickly if each strike had to be prefaced by "Fighter X gets to his feet to try to throw a kick" or something like that.

It's really not that hard to use your imagination a little bit in these situations. I am absolutely in love with the soccer kicks and new attacks from the sprawl - it always annoyed me to see wrestlers dive into sprawls the entire fight and lose a terrible decision.

Sure, I can imagine that, but it's hard to imagine the fighter on the bottom not doing anything as the weight lifts off of him and back down after the other fighter's thrown the kick, that is all. This is more about the engine than the writing - the bottom fighter should almost always get away from that position if he was to be soccer kicked from there.

Daffanka
12-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Sure, I can imagine that, but it's hard to imagine the fighter on the bottom not doing anything as the weight lifts off of him and back down after the other fighter's thrown the kick, that is all. This is more about the engine than the writing - the bottom fighter should almost always get away from that position if he was to be soccer kicked from there.

When you're in that position you don't have any visual queues as to when he tries to kick. Soccer kicks are really dangerous for this very reason since it's really hard to brace yourself for something coming from a blind spot. Watch Shogun kick Gono or Kanehara in the head from that position, it's really nasty and they don't see it coming.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I guess I'm engaging in a useless argument, but what I meant was when the guy has thrown the kick, the bottom person would probably spring back up or at least go to his back to pull guard, and not allow the top guy to fall on him again (as if he would want to anyway, it would be much better to stay standing and fire off soccer kicks).

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Bear in mind that we're not necessarily talking about soccer kicks with run ups or a big back-swing of the leg - it could just as easily be a quick shin to the side of the head or body with no run up whatsoever.

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I guess I'm engaging in a useless argument, but what I meant was when the guy has thrown the kick, the bottom person would probably spring back up or at least go to his back to pull guard, and not allow the top guy to fall on him again (as if he would want to anyway, it would be much better to stay standing and fire off soccer kicks).

He isn't necessarily going back to the sprawl - the situation is officially called "opponent turtled, attacker above" in the engine, which can be gotten to either via a pull down from a sprawl or the opponent flopping down onto his hands and knees after a strike. Whether the attacker remains standing or holds him down for a sprawl is meant to be intuitive based upon what he does next - i.e. if he's throwing multiple kicks then you're meant to assume that he isn't getting up and down multiple times, he's simply staying standing.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
All right. I'm really liking the way soccer kicks function in the game though, it's good to have some better offense off of that position than just "lands big punches to the body and head" that can never finish a fight and just lead to a boring decision.

On another note, has anybody seen any head stomps so far? I haven't, and I'm not quite sure which position I should expect them from.

TheKenwyne
12-05-2010, 12:46 PM
He isn't necessarily going back to the sprawl - the situation is officially called "opponent turtled, attacker above" in the engine, which can be gotten to either via a pull down from a sprawl or the opponent flopping down onto his hands and knees after a strike. Whether the attacker remains standing or holds him down for a sprawl is meant to be intuitive based upon what he does next - i.e. if he's throwing multiple kicks then you're meant to assume that he isn't getting up and down multiple times, he's simply staying standing.

See the finish to the Cote-Bisping fight for an example of the position Adam is referring to.

Rathen4
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm in love with this game. I felt a little let down by WMMA2, and wasn't really planning on buying this. But after playing the demo and enjoying the far superior fight engine, this is a day of release purchase now and I can't wait for it to come out.

Wrestling Century
12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
- One major thing about the database and stats rather than actual match engine is the effectiveness of ground and pound. While I understand it might be a balancing thing, in real life ground and pound rarely finishes fights except for strikes from the mount or from the back mount and with the bottom fighter flattened out. I'm getting crazy amounts of fights ending via TKO by ground strikes when the winning fighter is in side control or half guard, and it usually ends fast, in round one. Usually ground and pound only finishes fights in real life following a knock down or after a couple of rounds of solid beating.

Yeah, every single one of my fights in the FLB league (excluding one fight that was won by a punch) have been won either by decision or by TKO because of the ground and pound. I think that this needs balancing.

12-05-2010, 01:24 PM

Remember the game is set in 98. Most fighters are one dimentional at this point, so if a striker gets taken down they are more likely to be finished off than in 2010 when people are more well rounded (or should be if Eras work correctly).

And in my games few fights end by ground & pound unless the striker is in mount or back mount.

Sertorius
12-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Remember the game is set in 98. Most fighters are one dimentional at this point, so if a striker gets taken down they are more likely to be finished off than in 2010 when people are more well rounded (or should be if Eras work correctly).

And in my games few fights end by ground & pound unless the striker is in mount or back mount.

I was going to say the same thing. The average professional MMA fighter today is way, way better able to defend himself on the ground than was the case in 1998. Some ground and pound fighters back then preferred to work from half guard. It's not at all impossible to pound someone out from that position if they don't know what they're doing. Similarly, the average fighter today is much better able to escape from disadvantageous positions on the ground than they were even five years ago. The game is simulating different eras.

Paatero
12-05-2010, 02:07 PM
The same thing happened in WMMA2 and it happened at 2008 when all the fighters were supposed to know what they were doing - and I don't know if it's been changed for WMMA3. Even if it isn't, that isn't a big issue for me, it's a game after all and simulating real life too accurately can make it not fun.

Afroduck
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
So far the game seems pretty good,it is just going to take a little bit of getting used 2.Right now my only complaints are lack of a body pic in the editor,I personally like to go through and change fighters weight to where I feel they should be and it is harder to do with just a face shot,not a big thing though.The other thing I am not happy about is the lack of Bantam and Flyweight fighters.

Jaded
12-05-2010, 02:35 PM
So far the game seems pretty good,it is just going to take a little bit of getting used 2.Right now my only complaints are lack of a body pic in the editor,I personally like to go through and change fighters weight to where I feel they should be and it is harder to do with just a face shot,not a big thing though.The other thing I am not happy about is the lack of Bantam and Flyweight fighters.

Try clicking on the head pic, I THINK that brings up the body pic as well.

weidt
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Only one future debuting fighter!

No random fighter generator. Template system is limited to only stats, so still have to manually input name, age, location, debut, etc. Sigh.

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Only one future debuting fighter! :(

...because they've all been moved into the starting database.

TEWFan
12-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I finally started playing with the Brazillian promotion and witnessed my first soccer Kick KO when Gladstone Lopes finished Moura (the heavyweight champion) via Round 1 Soccer Kick KO. It was brutal because Lopes had nailed a knee strike to Moura while he was down, leaving him dazed and that was inmediatly followed by the soccer kick.

I have seen plenty of KO's, TKO's and UD/SD victories in Brazil and yes, submissions too. It depends on the fighter: the initial FLB roster is biased towards Muay Thai and Boxers, with very few BJJ or submission guys. Grande Silveira has two consecutive sub victories: Over Lima Fraga via Round 1 arm-bar and over Anderson Desally via Round 3 Rear-Naked Choke. Claudio Palacios also has two subs.

No complaints from me!

12-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Only one future debuting fighter!

No random fighter generator. Template system is limited to only stats, so still have to manually input name, age, location, debut, etc. Sigh.

Well in the mod section someone is trying to set up booster packs based on community creations. I am sure some of these will be future fighters, especially if you suggest it to the guy ;).

The same thing happened in WMMA2 and it happened at 2008 when all the fighters were supposed to know what they were doing - and I don't know if it's been changed for WMMA3. Even if it isn't, that isn't a big issue for me, it's a game after all and simulating real life too accurately can make it not fun.

Era's are one of the new features in WMMA 3, so things should occur differently to 2. This is the entry from the Dev. Journal.

#36: Eras

Another feature taken from the TEW series and added to WMMA is the concept of Eras. These can be defined in the editor. Each Era is given a specific time period (e.g. "March 1990 to July 1994"), and as long as the game is within those dates it is considered active. Once active, the Era can alter the normal settings for certain events; these include the percentage of Modern to Old School fighters being generated (i.e. the higher the percentage, the more chance new fighters have of having a broad base of skills rather than being one-dimensional), the amount of crossover stars from other combat sports, and the average quality of male and female fighters being generated. Eras therefore allow the database maker to guide the game in a certain direction.

I would suggest looking at the era's in the editor to get a feel of how the game world will shape.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And to prove the point that fighters will become more well rounded:
In the Era that covers 1998 the stat for Modern Fighters (a.k.a Well rounded fighters) is set at 25% meaning most new figters will be one dimensional.

In the era that covers 2010 the modern fighter setting is now at 80%, meaning most new fighters will be well rounded. (And also the quality of fighters generated will increase as well. Meaning when 2010 comes around new fighters will far outshine those that came about in 1998)

weidt
12-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Scouting is a nice addition and makes things more unpredictable; however, I loved the icon representation (belts, letters) of skill level used in WMMA2. The simple text doesn't have quite the quick glance feel to it as seeing a bunch of a color and knowing instantly a fighter is good in various areas and bad in others.

The amount of additional fighter details available and recorded is sweet too.

Mr_Tricky
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
It took some time for me to really get into WMMA2. I had a feeling of slight disappointment, like something about WMMA1 was lost between the two games. It just didn't feel right for awhile.

WMMA3 is the most satisfying game in the series, a much bigger leap than from 1 to 2. I was into it instantaneously.

The negotiations are actually enjoyable now. It does get a bit repetitive when you have a lot of contracts to sort out, but the option to let the AI handle the less important ones makes the process much more bearable when you have a lot on your plate.

The play-by-play is much more varied and realistic now. I've had leg locks, armbars, triangles, bad decisions, cuts, and fouls; and the stats are much more balanced, which means fighters fight how you expect them too more often.

The stat tracking makes the game much more addictive. I can't wait to check the rankings and records after every show. It makes history building much more complex and meaningful.

My complaints:

The fighter stats display screen is a little mechanical and not as easy to read as in previous games. I'm getting the hang of it the more I play, but the belts or letters were a bit more obvious.

I liked it better when the camps screen displayed head shots. I find it harder to recognize names than faces, and I used to have fun sorting through the camps.

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
NB: I can now confirm that the Fighter Profile -> Scout screen will be colour-coded in the retail version. It will use a system of going from green -> yellow -> orange -> red (from best to worst), with the shade getting brighter as the stat gets higher. The number of shades available is tied to the Fog Of War.

ripwalk
12-05-2010, 03:46 PM
NB: I can now confirm that the Fighter Profile -> Scout screen will be colour-coded in the retail version. It will use a system of going from green -> yellow -> orange -> red (from best to worst), with the shade getting brighter as the stat gets higher. The number of shades available is tied to the Fog Of War.

Fantastic. Thanks Adam.

samuricex
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Extremely hard for me to get used to the new interface.

I also dislike the scout screen, it was so much easier in WMMA2. Now, the skills are listed in a random order depending on certain values. It takes quite awhile just to scout one fighter, where as it only took a quick peak in WMMA2 to understand how good or bad a fighter was.

BHK1978
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I am not going to lie I miss the commentators. I may have been the only one that liked them but to me it was more interesting having them on screen.

Adam Ryland
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I am not going to lie I miss the commentators. I may have been the only one that liked them but to me it was more interesting having them on screen.

Buy a pair of Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan bobbleheads, then all you need to do is place them in front of your monitor and your problem is solved. Alternatively, turn the auto advance play-by-play option on so that you don't have to click anywhere, then use sock puppets to play the part of the announcers.

grits207
12-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Awesome. Thanks a bunch, Adam.

TheKenwyne
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Buy a pair of Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan bobbleheads, then all you need to do is place them in front of your monitor and your problem is solved. Alternatively, turn the auto advance play-by-play option on so that you don't have to click anywhere, then use sock puppets to play the part of the announcers.

*takes notes*

brashleyholland
12-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Extremely hard for me to get used to the new interface.

I also dislike the scout screen, it was so much easier in WMMA2. Now, the skills are listed in a random order depending on certain values. It takes quite awhile just to scout one fighter, where as it only took a quick peak in WMMA2 to understand how good or bad a fighter was.

Using the drop down you can change the order to 'best to worst', therefore easily getting a good idea of a fighter's greatest strengths and most glaring weaknesses.

weidt
Sweet, thanks Adam. Color-coded text will definitely help out. I was just putting together my first show and saw the awesome compare screen where color-coding is used to show who is better in each skill and thought that would be a good alternative for the fighter scout screen. And ta-da, that is what you're doing. Bravo!

No-one would do that. I mean, how weird would that be? Like, I would totally never do that :o *hides socks*

basketball45231
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
I love how matchups now matter for how the fights finish. Dont want ground and pound? Match up stand up fighters.

And for eras? I looked at them and its amazing how much better the game will get as it goes along.

THE BEST- narratives. SO much better than TEW.

You can make promotions create weight classes, change rules, change number of rounds, etc. Also you can change camps and fighters skills. This will make an old school UFC mod amazing and get you to adapt to UFC rules like in real life.

marcopolio
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Disappointed that you have no options to award the FOTN etc bonuses and the game awards them - I wanted to have the option to develop these and see how fighters react to getting / not getting bonuses.

Rest looks good so far and a good, solid improvement on 2. Will prob comment more after further play but will be buying.

jaredpalexander
12-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I am curious as to where I can find the CEO's hiring rules?

I don't like the fact that I'm just informed that Lance Decker is going to be a douche about something during contract talks and I can't prepare for it ahead of time.

If this is something that can be found in the help file, please feel free to flame me for this post.

12-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm enjoying the game so far, but I am curious as to where I can find the CEO's hiring rules?

I don't like the fact that I'm just informed that Lance Decker is going to be a douche about something during contract talks and I can't prepare for it ahead of time.

If this is something that can be found in the help file, please feel free to flame me for this post.

Not with the game so don't know about the editor, but there is an option called something like CEO bypass that let's you evade this problem.

jaredpalexander
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I saw the bypass and I like that I can turn off the CEO's control, but I also like playing within rules. In other words, it would be nice to know what the hiring rules are or at least the CEO's tenancies. For example, is he a big spender or a tight wallet...

EddieFnG
12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Lance Decker is a tight ass, trust me.

AlexB
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Loving the global changes able to be made with the editor!

Also loving the promises of colours on the scouting screen, and pictures on the booking screens - this will help make the game look a little softer on the eye.

Afroduck
12-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Try clicking on the head pic, I THINK that brings up the body pic as well.

With this it a brings up a smaller bodie shot which you have to go and find.I like it in WMMA 2 where you could see the bodie shot as roughly the same size as in game.I know that it had to be changed due to so many things being added but it would be nice when you click the head shot you could get the right size bodie shots.

HansLanda11
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
With this it a brings up a smaller bodie shot which you have to go and find.I like it in WMMA 2 where you could see the bodie shot as roughly the same size as in game.I know that it had to be changed due to so many things being added but it would be nice when you click the head shot you could get the right size bodie shots.

I agree with you as I also liked the whole body shots in the fighter editor instead of just the head shots but it's something I can get used to.

Egnuldt
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
The laptop I brought to college has a linux OS so I had to go to the library and install it on one of the campus computers, heh.

As for the game itself,

awesome! The demo is awesome and I really enjoy the fight engine.
Also, local fighter shows to boost W-L is a plus.

Overall, cant wait until I get the full version!

mikey5time
12-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Gave the demo a quick spin. I think it'd be amazing to run through the full retail. I'll probably not play the demo until then. I hate getting started, haha.

On the subject of bonuses, I think it's better that the game determine who wins the award. It would be too easy to just give it to your favorite 'X' of the night, or fighter. Let the puter sort it out.

Huntman
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
I love the demo so far. I started a GAMMA game and held Foster Vs. Hughes. Foster retained...and then failed a drug test, so he is suspended for a year. I look forward to getting the game next week.

Another thing, I just love the pre-show commentary.

mjdgoldeneye
12-06-2010, 12:46 AM
This isn't a very serious issue, so I suppose I'll put it here:

Chikafusa Abukara has a tattoo that says 1979-2005. The database is set in 1998. :D

12-06-2010, 03:31 AM

Chikafusa Abukara has a tattoo that says 1979-2005. The database is set in 1998. :D

That was in last game aswell :p.

brashleyholland
12-06-2010, 04:08 AM

It's a common misconception; they're really just the pin numbers for his debit and credit cards. The guy has an awful memory from all the punches he's endured over the years, so he had them inked on his chest for safe keeping.

Clarity
12-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I made the render for Chikafusa Abukara back before WMMA1 and before knowing when the database was going to be based in the 90's.

I once heard a story (dont know if its true) that the mid 90's band Kula Shaker were named so because the lead singer had been informed by a spiritual sharmi that if they became Kula Shaker, they would become famous. Maybe Chikafusa has seen the same person and was told to tattoo that onto himself*

*That isn't actually the real reason. I think I alone know that

Capelli King
12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Minus

I was hoping for more in terms of companies + fighter database and also expected to see the game progress further than 1998. Also the fact that there is very little title and fight history is a draw back in my view, i mean who did Fezzik beat in his great career? Who held the title back in 1994? These questions are unanswered.

Obviously allot of work was done on the actual match engine, however to be honest i rarely read those anyway, so that part of the game which has been greatly improved does not really appeal to me.

Plus

It is allot more "smoother", there is several interesting options which you can turn on and off, which makes the game allot more customizable.

The editor is easier to use and has allot more options, which makes it a huge plus for game mods and i like allot of the little features such as the company ranking and the ability to "push" fighters through hype. Things like the "national hero" feature also makes things allot more realistic.

Overall i like the newer version and i will be buying it;)

12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Also the fact that there is very little title and fight history is a draw back in my view, i mean who did Fezzik beat in his great career? Who held the title back in 1994? These questions are unanswered.

This is something I thought about alot, would I prefer fight histories to be included in the default database. I came to the conclusion it is better without.

First, it would take a huge effort to come up with 100's of fighters from the past that someone beat, and I wouldnt really care about the person as they would no longer be relevant. I just want to see who my fighter can face.

The main issue I would have if histories were included would be the limitations it gives us. From the title histories we can see Fezzik beat Kikuchi for the Alpha-1 Heavyweight belt, but if the histories were fleshed out and it revealed Fezzik had beaten Kikuchi before joining ALPHA-1 or before having the title, that would mean fans wouldnt want to see Fezzik vs Kikuchi again as Fezzik has already proved his dominance. That would ruin it for me as Kikuchi vs Fezzik is one of the fights I have to run when I play as ALPHA-1. It would just take away some of the possibilities we have.

Capelli King
12-06-2010, 11:05 AM
First, it would take a huge effort to come up with 100's of fighters from the past that someone beat, and I wouldnt really care about the person as they would no longer be relevant.

I did not say all the fights for everyone, just the major ones

I just want to see who my fighter can face.

You do not have a guy ;)

That would ruin it for me as Kikuchi vs Fezzik is one of the fights I have to run when I play as ALPHA-1. It would just take away some of the possibilities we have.

That would add allot more strategy to the game, you will feel you joined a game in progress, not one which is just starting, also if you did not want the histories, you can always mass delete them anyway using the editor

BuddyGarner
12-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Still doesn't seem to be enough fighters! Rosters lack depth. There should be at least 4 fighters in each weight class for each reputation level like 4 fighters between 0 and 10%, 4 fighters between 10% and 20%. Preferably, these fighters should be new to the database. That way you don't have to mass hire people to build depth to the roster. Then you can hire prospects and work their way up.

Would like marketability separated. Excitement is very different from charisma.

Don't like that you still can't do anything about retirement.

Not enough feds. Need more mid-level feds. All the feds have lots of top 25's. There need to be intermediary feds between local shows and the bigger shows.

Jacko00
12-06-2010, 11:58 AM
Upon reading about the retail version updates, it is good to have more fighters but cant help thinking that its now a waste of time to play the demo if the new fighters are only going to be in the full game.

djthefunkchris
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I don't mind the personality pluss being took out of WMMA3, but I hope this doesn't lead to a change in that area with TEW.

There are alot of functions though, after getting a better look at the game, that I am liking alot. TOP of that list is the Destiny area. I really want to see that in TEW as well, as this is a great mod tool, and I can't wait to see how much it actually effects the game going long term.

HansLanda11
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Still doesn't seem to be enough fighters! Rosters lack depth. There should be at least 4 fighters in each weight class for each reputation level like 4 fighters between 0 and 10%, 4 fighters between 10% and 20%. Preferably, these fighters should be new to the database. That way you don't have to mass hire people to build depth to the roster. Then you can hire prospects and work their way up.

This is exactly what I have been thinking since I DLed the demo.

grits207
12-06-2010, 12:22 PM
I love the additions to the retail version as they cover basically every complaint I had about the demo.

TEWFan
12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by BuddyGarner
This is exactly what I have been thinking since I DLed the demo.

What part of "the beginning of mma" escapes you? Back when mma first started out there was only a handful of companies. With only a handful of companies it is only logical that all of them will have some sort of Top 25 representation. More over, if 1,100 fighters is not enough for you, then what is? There are still fighters I have never seen before and I have been playing the full game for 3-4 days before the demo came out and I have about 6 different games at 2+ years. I think the database is well-balanced and it is completely unrealistic to expect 2000 fighters when in real life it will be hard to come up with that many and we have a LOT more companies.

Plus, the fact that rosters need depth is part of the gameplay balance! If all rosters where perfectly balanced and perfectly set from the beginning, no hirings would occur, A.I. or otherwise.

AlexB
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
What part of "the beginning of mma" escapes you? Back when mma first started out there was only a handful of companies. With only a handful of companies it is only logical that all of them will have some sort of Top 25 representation. More over, if 1,100 fighters is not enough for you, then what is? There are still fighters I have never seen before and I have been playing the full game for 3-4 days before the demo came out and I have about 6 different games at 2+ years. I think the database is well-balanced and it is completely unrealistic to expect 2000 fighters when in real life it will be hard to come up with that many and we have a LOT more companies.

Plus, the fact that rosters need depth is part of the gameplay balance! If all rosters where perfectly balanced and perfectly set from the beginning, no hirings would occur, A.I. or otherwise.

My concern is when the DB gets up to say 2010, you could theoretically end up with 40 companies but still only 1151 fighters, which would be VERY thin (28-29 fighters per company)

Yes, some companies will got bust, but it highly likely we could end up with 20 companies at any one time, which would mean 60 odd fighters per company, which if each company has 5 weight classes, is 12 per weight class.

This isn't enough for me (the 'for me' bit is important) - I personally want double this, so am trying to do 1151 extra fighters before the game comes out, with all new fighters debuting at 0-0 between 1998-2010.

TBH this is an arduous process, even with the random template, but for me it is important if there is this many companies. I really was hoping for a single 'create random fighter' button that acted in almost exactly the same way a regen works

BuddyGarner
12-06-2010, 01:02 PM

Hirings would still occur. They would just be used to hire prospects rather than having to hire some stepping stones.

How many more fighters are needed? 4 fighters for each 10 points of reputation to fill out the lower levels per weight class per company.

Just because the real world is a certain way doesn't mean the game should be. Don't you want to be able to play with headbutts and hair pulls like the old UFCs?

ripwalk
12-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Upon reading about the retail version updates, it is good to have more fighters but cant help thinking that its now a waste of time to play the demo if the new fighters are only going to be in the full game.

Sorry, did I miss something here, there are new fighters going to be in the full version that aren't in the demo?

Source?

HansLanda11
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Sorry, did I miss something here, there are new fighters going to be in the full version that aren't in the demo?

Source?

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252146

Daffanka
12-06-2010, 01:34 PM
So you want each company to have 120+ fighters from the start? When they're regional/low national companies who are going to lose a ton of money if they actually use all those guys?

I love playing with a bloated roster but unless you're playing with no financial restrictions it seems absurd to expect that.

Adam Ryland
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Please stop arguing about it - there are always going to be people who think the database is too small, and they're entitled to their opinion and can not purchase the product if it's a dealbreaker for them, but as the default data isn't going to increase by a vast amount any time soon it's pointless to be going on and on about it.

basketball45231
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I think that is realistic if the game was set in modern day, its not. Its set in 1998. That means the user has to go out and find new talent and build them up. There should be a fight for good fighters, and the bottom of the top 25 shouldnt be good fighters. Pride or the UFC have never and will never have 25 amazing fighters per division.

ripwalk
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252146

Oh, surprised I missed that. Thank you.

BYU 14
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I love the additions to the retail version as they cover basically every complaint I had about the demo.

I am with Grits on this one, especially the scout coding and the pictures, small touchs that add alot for me.

That said I have to say I am loving the game and very excited for the retail version. A lot of times these threads focus a lot on what folks don't like, which is important as this feedback is important. I just want to acknowledge everything the game does right, which is mostly everything you would want in an MMA sim IMO....Great job Adam.

Jacko00
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
I think that is realistic if the game was set in modern day, its not. Its set in 1998. That means the user has to go out and find new talent and build them up. There should be a fight for good fighters, and the bottom of the top 25 shouldnt be good fighters. Pride or the UFC have never and will never have 25 amazing fighters per division.

These things can be changed, move a handfull of fighters to debut in later years.

Keithb
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Very impressed with the demo, I've found it interesting that people have been unhappy with the removal of the colored belts in the scout screen, it was one of the big complaints leading up to the release of WMMA 2. Glad to see that there aren't many errors in the game so far....maybe we will get a early release and I can stop lurking in the forums all week.

jesterx7769
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
I like just about all the new stuff and only have one major annoyance/complaint.

Why have the colored belts been removed? Personally I never used them. I used a different graphics set to use letter grades as I like it visually and find it more realistic. However now that they have been removed I cannot change those gfx. The new scouting screen is confusing and annoying, just a big page of yellow numbers, it makes it hard to quickly view guys skills. Even if the numbers were color coded it would be easier but right now thats the only thing that is majorly annoying me since there is no way to even mod it.

Adam Ryland
12-06-2010, 02:58 PM
I like just about all the new stuff and only have one major annoyance/complaint.

Why have the colored belts been removed? Personally I never used them. I used a different graphics set to use letter grades as I like it visually and find it more realistic. However now that they have been removed I cannot change those gfx. The new scouting screen is confusing and annoying, just a big page of yellow numbers, it makes it hard to quickly view guys skills. Even if the numbers were color coded it would be easier but right now thats the only thing that is majorly annoying me since there is no way to even mod it.

It's already been announced that they are now colour coded, it's in the pinned topic right at the top of the board.

ShaunGBD
12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
It's already been announced that they are now colour coded, it's in the pinned topic right at the top of the board.

What do u mean color coded? like Black for great, White for good. etc,etc. or what?

BYU 14
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
What do u mean color coded? like Black for great, White for good. etc,etc. or what?

http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum...d.php?t=252146

Adam indicated 4 different colors, with different level of brightness to indicate skill.

Adam Ryland
12-06-2010, 03:12 PM

What other definitions of "colour coded" are there?? :confused: