PDA

View Full Version : Version 2 vs Version 1

kimo666
04-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I've been playing the demo of version 1 and want to buy the game. But is the 2nd version much better? I've played the demo of it and didn't like it as much (maybe that's just cos i've got used to the 1st version!!)

Let me know what you think. Also is it possible to start you're own company in version 2? I start as unemployed and then can't seem to start my own company.

Any advice welcome!

Sons of Kohral
04-14-2009, 10:11 AM
use the editor suite to put in a promotion b4 u start a new game.

Anyway, when i played the demo I hated WMMA2. I didn't like the screens, didn't like how a lot of the things from part 1 were changed, etc.

But I bought it just because I had never been disappointed with a Ryland game before. God, I'm glad I did that. Now, I seriously can't put WMMA2 down. It's amazing. I love it. Trust me, go with 2. You wont be sorry.

rage
04-14-2009, 10:23 AM
use the editor suite to put in a promotion b4 u start a new game.

Anyway, when i played the demo I hated WMMA2. I didn't like the screens, didn't like how a lot of the things from part 1 were changed, etc.

But I bought it just because I had never been disappointed with a Ryland game before. God, I'm glad I did that. Now, I seriously can't put WMMA2 down. It's amazing. I love it. Trust me, go with 2. You wont be sorry.

yup, i agree 100% i am now hooked, despite my initial uncertainty at the demo!

BlueBomberDude
04-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Just try playing around with both versions for awhile before deciding... I've personally opted to stick with WMMA1 for now.

Derek B
04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
WMMA2 is vastly superior to WMMA1, I'd recommend any first time buyers of the series to get the sequel. The first one has some fairly major flaws in that you can grow to massive size just through advertising and you can't steal workers from another organisation. In WMMA2 you have to earn your way to the top through star power and great fighters, which you CAN steal from the competition if you are willing to pay the price.

I never felt WMMA1 had much replay value, but I can see me playing WMMA2 several times as I try to build up a dream roster and have to fight it out with the competition to do so.

curtains
04-14-2009, 12:36 PM
IMO wmma2 is 100x better than wmma1. WMMA1 to me was unplayable due to the lameness of the match format. In WMMA2 the matches are captivating and this makes all the difference to me.

mickel
04-14-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd definitely say the second. The fight simulator is MUCH better. While reading the PBP (which is something I didn't like too much at first, but now like a lot) you can actually imagine the fight happening, and it is genuinely unpredictable. Reading the fights was something I never did in WMMA1, but in 2 I do it a lot, which leads to a much more immersive experience. That, plus all the other added features make 2 a much better game in my opinion. I'm already 4 and a half years in, totally addicted. :D

Capelli King
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
to begin with i preferred#1, but after i bought the game i can say that #2 is far superior in terms of being a proper MMA simulator

kimo666
04-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice. Seems like most agree with the 2nd version so will probably try it out a few times on the demo and give it a go.

I agree with mickel in that I never really read the pbp in the 1st version so if the second is better thats a good thing..

Just one further question about setting up your own company in the second one. In the editor there are loads of options about how big the company should be etc..... Has anyone any idea what popularity/finances you should use to make it like version 1's new company? Also do you select "opens in January" to make it available from the start?

Thanks!

Derek B
04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Set it to open any date before the game begins (January 1999) for a new promotion to be open already. The year will pop up in a box next to the month if you choose a date. And setting up a level to begin at is up to you. I'd go for a low level of popularity then adjust your finances when you start up the game. I would also recommend setting up the company with an owner before you begin as I'm not exactly certain what happens if you try to take over a company with no owner, since an owner should be in place before a match maker (you) comes in.

Hawk1665
04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to buck the popular opinion. In one very key critical area, WMMA1 is superior.

The booking system. The restrictions that WMMA2 places upon a booker are completely unrealistic. If you do not have a "good" or higher main event, no matter how good the card is, you will lose popularity. If you do it on TV, you will lose upwards of 30% popularity. It's unrealistic. The game is very, very picky in what it will call a "good main event" and often you'll have two fighters on fantastic win streaks, but because the game feels their popularity is too low, it won't accept them. Instead of playing match maker, half the time I feel like I'm trying to appease the booking god. If you import a real life mod and try to run the shows UFC have set up, you will have the game screaming at you for doing it. You can't *always* have great main events to the game, so you have a choice. Don't run shows and wait for all your stars upwards of six months or more, or intentionally run shows that you know will bomb and try not to fall a level. I do it, but there's something fundamentally wrong about knowing you are running shows that cannot help, only hurt.

Contrast this to WMMA1. The interest system in WMMA1 was a combination of popularity and their success as a fighter. If the fighter had a huge reputation, then the game would pitch they main event regardless. The end result would be a fine main event, but the game would punish you for using non draws with your attendance, buyrates, ratings, and overall finance. Just because a guy is relatively unknown doesn't mean you can't sell him as a top fighter. It just means people will not pay to see him fight. That's realistic.

In WMMA2 there's no point to even having money. It was broken in WMMA1 that the second you got PPV you were fine. In WMMA2 it's beyond broken. Just by running TV events at High International, I'm making somewhere around 50 million dollars per show. What in the world am I supposed to do with that? There's no financial controls anymore. The highest I can pay fighters in 500,000 if I can get them to sign. Is my avatar turning that all into pennies and swimming in it? I turned XCC at 500,000 or whatever in four game years into a two hundred million dollar company.

If you can accept that you will be punished for actually being a match maker and not just putting "stars" against each other constantly, WMMA2's fine. But that was a very, very bitter pill for me to swallow that took me days to finally digest. I'm still not overly happy with it, but I deal.

Adam Ryland
04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
In WMMA2 there's no point to even having money. It was broken in WMMA1 that the second you got PPV you were fine. In WMMA2 it's beyond broken. Just by running TV events at High International, I'm making somewhere around 50 million dollars per show. What in the world am I supposed to do with that? There's no financial controls anymore. The highest I can pay fighters in 500,000 if I can get them to sign. Is my avatar turning that all into pennies and swimming in it? I turned XCC at 500,000 or whatever in four game years into a two hundred million dollar company.

1 - Making that much money per show was a bug, which has since been addressed (although I have just found that there may be a second version of the same bug that I need to check into).

2 - You can offer more than 500,000. It was updated in the last patch after you suggested the change.

Hawk1665
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Thank you. I was wondering about that when I saw the post deleted.

curtains
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm going to buck the popular opinion. In one very key critical area, WMMA1 is superior.

The booking system. The restrictions that WMMA2 places upon a booker are completely unrealistic. If you do not have a "good" or higher main event, no matter how good the card is, you will lose popularity. If you do it on TV, you will lose upwards of 30% popularity. It's unrealistic. The game is very, very picky in what it will call a "good main event" and often you'll have two fighters on fantastic win streaks, but because the game feels their popularity is too low, it won't accept them. Instead of playing match maker, half the time I feel like I'm trying to appease the booking god. If you import a real life mod and try to run the shows UFC have set up, you will have the game screaming at you for doing it. You can't *always* have great main events to the game, so you have a choice. Don't run shows and wait for all your stars upwards of six months or more, or intentionally run shows that you know will bomb and try not to fall a level. I do it, but there's something fundamentally wrong about knowing you are running shows that cannot help, only hurt.

Contrast this to WMMA1. The interest system in WMMA1 was a combination of popularity and their success as a fighter. If the fighter had a huge reputation, then the game would pitch they main event regardless. The end result would be a fine main event, but the game would punish you for using non draws with your attendance, buyrates, ratings, and overall finance. Just because a guy is relatively unknown doesn't mean you can't sell him as a top fighter. It just means people will not pay to see him fight. That's realistic.

If you can accept that you will be punished for actually being a match maker and not just putting "stars" against each other constantly, WMMA2's fine. But that was a very, very bitter pill for me to swallow that took me days to finally digest. I'm still not overly happy with it, but I deal.

I agree with part of this, in that it seems impossible to run consistent shows that fans like once you become too highly ranked. But still WMMA2 is much better IMO, and I suspect these kinks (if they are kinks) will also be worked out eventually.

Nachtfalter
04-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I think it's pretty clear that WMMA 2 is superior in all areas as a game.

One major issue I have, though, is the complete absence of fight histories and title histories in the default database. It just makes the gameworld seem completely dead and artificial and I haven't been able to really get into any of my games. The XCC game (took them to be No 1 in the World) was borderline okay because they are supposed to be a young promotion where previous events aren't that important, but when playing ALPHA-1 or GAMMA the missing past is just glaringly obvious and makes the game not fun to play for me.

Since Adam stated this Sandbox approach is entirely intentional and not about to be changed I guess the only way I'm really going to enjoy WMMA 2 will be a Real World Mod or the GDSVerse (which, I assume, will have more history to its gameworld).

kimo666
04-15-2009, 09:22 AM
Is there a help section for Wmma 2? Not sure how to do some things on it and don't want to keep posting here to find out. Thanks!

fredreed
04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
I disagree I think that if you haven't played either versions yet then I recommend you play 1 first to get a idea of how the game plays and how the editor is used, and then play version 2 once you get the feel for game and how the editor works. By the way the editor is almost identical for both verisons. The big difference between WMMA1 and WMMA2 is the layout of the menus. The user interface is basically the same.

Derek B
04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Is there a help section for Wmma 2? Not sure how to do some things on it and don't want to keep posting here to find out. Thanks!

There are help files that come with the game. When you first open it up there is a question mark in the top right corner, click that and you'll get the help files. If you have any other questions then they can be often be answered by everyone on the forums or simply through playing the game.

I disagree I think that if you haven't played either versions yet then I recommend you play 1 first to get a idea of how the game plays and how the editor is used, and then play version 2 once you get the feel for game and how the editor works. By the way the editor is almost identical for both verisons. The big difference between WMMA1 and WMMA2 is the layout of the menus. The user interface is basically the same.

There really is no point learning to use WMMA1 in order to play WMMA2. The editor is almost identical, so why would learning the old one be better than learning the new one? Simiilarly, why play the first one in order to get to learn the second? Surely playing the second would be more logical as it gives you the exact experience you need in order to play it.

Blackman
04-15-2009, 10:04 AM
2 is definately better, for it's deeper then 1. 1 is way simpler however as far as booking is concerned.