PDA

View Full Version : CBH Access Files

zaphenomenalone
11-15-2011, 09:10 PM
So I looked in the CBH folder at the files and I notice that in the database folder there are saves and Access documents which I am assuming is where the information about the characters are stored. Now that would make modding even easier if all we had to do was change the Access files but I see that they are password protected. I'm sure you did if for a reason but I just don't know what the reason is. Why can't we just edit the Access files?

djthefunkchris
11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
So I looked in the CBH folder at the files and I notice that in the database folder there are saves and Access documents which I am assuming is where the information about the characters are stored. Now that would make modding even easier if all we had to do was change the Access files but I see that they are password protected. I'm sure you did if for a reason but I just don't know what the reason is. Why can't we just edit the Access files?

In the help files, he explains why.

Editing Databases And Save Games

CBH uses a Microsoft Access database to store its information. Although the database is password-protected, Access is notoriously easy to 'hack'. Please be aware that it is strongly advised that you do not tamper or edit the database directly. The reason for this is that nearly all of the error-checking is done within the game at the point of modification, so if you edit data directly then any errors you introduce will not be caught - this can lead to crashes or your database \ save game becoming damaged. Please note that any errors introduced by direct editing are your own responsibility and are not covered by Grey Dog Software's Technical Support.

You should note that there is very little reason to access the database directly anyway; almost everything that can be edited can already be done, in a much safer and more user-friendly manner, from within the game itself.

zaphenomenalone
11-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Thats what I get for not exploring the game enough. I looked over the help file only to see if it would help me modding the game so when I saw the end of the help file and it wasn't talking about anything effecting game play i didn't read it. I'm usually one of the people saying "look at the help file before you ask a dumb question" and now I'm that guy. Thanks for giving me some "act right" dj

djthefunkchris
11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Thats what I get for not exploring the game enough. I looked over the help file only to see if it would help me modding the game so when I saw the end of the help file and it wasn't talking about anything effecting game play i didn't read it. I'm usually one of the people saying "look at the help file before you ask a dumb question" and now I'm that guy. Thanks for giving me some "act right" dj

Very easy to overlook things like that in the help file (s), of all the games. This one because of what you said, and the other's mainly because of how much information they do carry in them, hard to find it all.

That's why I always try and give the answer as well as where to find it... So you now know where it is for future reference, and you get your answer as fast as possible as well.