PDA

View Full Version : New Power Wizard

praguepride
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
To better aid new players in creating powers, it'd be nice to have a wizard that translates, say handguns, into Physical Stab from a Distance w/ Small Weapon.

So when you want to create a new power, you can either create one "from scratch" or choose from a list of common powers and have it auto select the type.

Things like guns, swords, knives, fireballs, plasma grenades, med-kits etc. etc.

As a mod-maker, I think it'd be easier for me to find Pistol on a menu rather then digging through the very similarly named physical attacks.

As a player, I'd much rather add "Fireball" to my list of abilities rather then "Heat Impact from a Distance". By having both you'd still be able to create unusual powers and you'd definitely be able to rename either of them. It's just sometimes easier for me to to think about things based upon their "translated" name then to think about a new character from a purely technical perspective.

jhd1
11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Regardless of whether this is turned into a feature or not, perhaps in the meantime some sort of Modding Basics thread could list these things out? I've neither the time nor the modding intention to do it myself but if a few people got together it could work. For example, you could have a list of common powers and their equivalents in-game...

Fireball = Heat Impact From A Distance
Pistol Shot = Physical Stab from a Distance w/ Small Weapon

Just a thought :)

Blake Trask
11-22-2011, 01:13 PM
...Gunshots are stabs.

Awww dang it I've been doing them wrong.

jhd1
11-22-2011, 01:16 PM
...Gunshots are stabs.

Awww dang it I've been doing them wrong.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - your best bet is to check how Adam's done it in the default database. Good chance he'll have at least something similar to what you are looking for done already :)