PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate "Other TV Shows" Real World Update?

MrCanada
10-11-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm just wondering who would be interested in a in-depth version of "Other TV Shows" for Real World? I was thinking of making one with "larger shows" and only putting in the time slots that new shows air (not reruns) but I dont know much about American TV. Just wondering if there is a want for this and if anyone would maybe want to team up and do one?

Johnny Fenoli
10-11-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm just wondering who would be interested in a in-depth version of "Other TV Shows" for Real World? I was thinking of making one with "larger shows" and only putting in the time slots that new shows air (not reruns) but I dont know much about American TV. Just wondering if there is a want for this and if anyone would maybe want to team up and do one?

AWESOME idea man! I'm down!

James Casey
10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Funnily enough, I've just finished adding a few to my game. I'd love to see a well-done version, as I'm not in the States and don't necessarily know what the big shows are.

Johnny Fenoli
10-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Would be really good if people from different parts of the globe added their own shows. that way it is more diverse.

alvarez16
10-11-2005, 03:41 PM
yeah i would be interested :D

Johnny Fenoli
10-11-2005, 04:15 PM
does anyone have any idea what each popularity rating is equilvelent to?

My Guess?
Enormous = 20 Million viewers + (20.0 Rating)
Huge = 15 Million viewers + (15.0 Rating)
Very Big = 10 Million viewers + (10.0 Rating)
Big
Medium
Small
Very Small = 500,000 + (0.5 Rating +)
Tiny = 500,000 Viewers - (0.5 Rating -)

alvarez16
10-11-2005, 04:26 PM
i dont really know but i would guess somethging along those lines with

Big- 8 MIL Viewers
Medium- 5 MIL Viewers
Small- 2 MIL Viewers

Ask Adam!

Micah Cage
10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
OK, here goes... I've done extensive research, and here is the 2005-2006 season, as far as truly competitive shows that you might want to include in your game. I've been unbiased and only included shows that pulled higher than a 5.0 rating (roughly 6 million viewers) as I feel those are the main competition to steal viewers away from someone watching your wrestling show.

For the record, no cable show has broken 5.0 so far this season, even sporting events. Also, no WB or UPN show has done that either. So, these numbers are interesting even just to see where stations are succeeding and where they are failing.

SUNDAY
-7pm
--CBS: 60 Minutes (hour long/8 million viewers)
--ABC: America's Funniest Home Videos (hour long/6 million viewers)

-8pm
--CBS: Cold Case (hour long/11 million viewers)
--ABC: Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (hour long/10 million viewers)
--FOX: The Simpsons (6 million viewers)

-8:30pm
--FOX: The War At Home (6 million viewers)

-9pm
--NBC: Law & Order: Criminal Intent (hour long/9 million viewers)
--ABC: Desperate Housewives (hour long/18 million viewers)
--FOX: Family Guy (6 million viewers)

-10pm
--NBC: Crossing Jordan (hour long/9 million viewers)
--ABC: Grey's Anatomy (hour long/12 million viewers)

MONDAY
-7pm
--SYNDICATED (USUALLY CBS): Wheel Of Fortune (11 million viewers)

-7:30pm
--SYNDICATED (USUALLY CBS): Jeopardy (8 million viewers)

-8pm
--CBS: The King Of Queens (8 million viewers)
--NBC: Surface (hour long/7 million viewers)
--ABC: Wife Swap (hour long/8 million viewers)

--CBS: How I Met Your Mother (8 million viewers)

-9pm
--CBS: Two & A Half Men (10 million viewers)
--NBC: Las Vegas (hour long/9 million viewers)
--ABC: Monday Night Football (2 hours long/11 million viewers)
--FOX: Prison Break (hour long/7 million viewers)

-9:30pm
--CBS: Out Of Practice (8 million viewers)

-10pm
--CBS: CSI:Miami (hour long/13 million viewers)
--NBC: Medium (hour long/9 million viewers)

TUESDAY
-7pm

-8pm
--CBS: NCIS (hour long/12 million viewers)
--NBC: The Biggest Loser (hour long/7 million viewers)
--FOX: Bones (hour long/6 million viewers)

-9pm
--CBS: The Amazing Race (hour long/8 million viewers)
--NBC: My Name Is Earl (10 million viewers)
--ABC: Commander In Chief (hour long/12 million viewers)
--FOX: House (hour long/9 million viewers)

-9:30pm
--NBC: The Office (7 million viewers)

-10pm
--CBS: Close To Home (hour long/8 million viewers)
--NBC: Law & Order: SVU (hour long/12 million viewers)
--ABC: Boston Legal (hour long/9 million viewers)

WEDNESDAY
-7pm

-8pm
--NBC: E-Ring (hour long/7 million viewers)
--ABC: George Lopez (7 million viewers)

-9pm
--CBS: Criminal Minds (hour long/9 million viewers)
--ABC: Lost (hour long/14 million viewers)

-10pm
--CBS: CSI:NY (hour long/10 million viewers)
--NBC: Law & Order (hour long/10 million viewers)
--ABC: Invasion (hour long/9 million viewers)

THURSDAY
-7pm

-8pm
--CBS: Survivor (hour long/12 million viewers)
--NBC: Joey (6 million viewers)
--ABC: Alias (hour long/6 million viewers)

--NBC: Will & Grace (8 million viewers)

-9pm
--CBS: CSI: (hour long/19 million viewers)
--NBC: The Apprentice (hour long/8 million viewers)

-10pm
--CBS: Without A Trace (hour long/15 million viewers)
--NBC: ER (hour long/10 million viewers)

FRIDAY
-7pm

-8pm
--CBS: Ghost Whisperer (hour long/8 million viewers)

-9pm
--CBS: Threshold (hour long/6 million viewers)
--NBC: Three Wishes (hour long/6 million viewers)
--ABC: Hope & Faith (6 million viewers)

-10pm
--CBS: NUMB3RS (hour long/8 million viewers)
--NBC: Law & Order: Criminal Intent (hour long/6 million viewers)
--ABC: 20/20 (hour long/7 million viewers)

SATURDAY
-10pm
--CBS: 48 Hours (hour long/7 million viewers)
--NBC: Law & Order: SVU (hour long/7 million viewers)

Saturday is generally filled with repeats from most stations. CBS does usually garner more than a 5.0 rating by putting in "CSI:", "CSI:Miami", "Cold Case", and "Without A Trace" in it's re-run mix-tacular, but I didn't know if those were worth mentioning or not, since it's usually not the same lineup each Saturday night.

I also must admit, I am not an avid Law & Order watcher, so I do not know which "SVU"s and which "Criminal Intent"s are the originals and which are the repeats, but there ya go. Hope that helps everyone.

D16NJD16
10-11-2005, 05:08 PM
What exact purpose do "Other TV shows" serve in TEW 2005?

That Crazy Guy
10-11-2005, 05:38 PM
You do ratings battles with them
Like for example, If Survivor and your wrestling show were running on the same time. You have A small wrestling show and Survivor is huge.. The majority of people who'd watch your show and Survivor would skip your show and watch Survivor. Because their show has A much bigger fanbase.

KaySeeDubya
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Yeah, added a ton of TV shows too. I just popped up my guide on the TV and went adding away.

Just a few examples:

War at Home
Everybody Hates Chris
The Sopranos
NCIS
Access Hollywood
Wheel of Fortune
Jeopardy
Seinfeld

Yeah...

Micah Cage
10-11-2005, 07:00 PM
OK, using the editor, I compiled an "Other TV Shows" list with the following shows:
20/20
48 Hours Mysteries
60 Minutes
Alias
American Idol
Big Brother
Bones
Boston Legal
Close To Home
Cold Case
Commander In Cheif
Criminal Minds
Crossing Jordan
CSI:
CSI: Miami
CSI: NY
Desperate Housewives
ER
E-Ring
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
Family Guy
Ghost Whisperer
Grey's Anatomy
Hope & Faith
House
How I Met Your Mother
Invasion
Jeopardy!
Joey
Las Vegas
Law & Order
Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Law & Order: SVU
Lost
Medium
Monday Night Football
My Name Is Earl
NCIS
NUMB3RS
Out Of Practice
Prison Break
Surface
Survivor
The Amazing Race
The Apprentice
The Biggest Loser
The King Of Queens
The Office
The Simpsons
The War At Home
Three Wishes
Threshold
Two And A Half Men
Wheel Of Fortune
Wife Swap
Will & Grace
Without A Trace

All records are accurate as far as what station they're on, what day they're on, what time they're on, how many viewers they average and they each come with an accompanying description too. I do not know how to upload things, however... so if anyone cares to help me out with that, my AIM IM is "themetalpencil". The data was used with help from RaveX's "TV Station" database. The only stations with any real competitive programming is CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX. I only included shows that garner more than a 5.0 average rating. So, if anyone is interested, let me know.

alvarez16
10-11-2005, 09:40 PM
i would be interested in anything accurate!

Micah Cage
10-11-2005, 10:10 PM
OK, someone explained to me how to add an attachment on this forum. Hopefully I did it right.

beatzNrhymez
10-11-2005, 10:17 PM
thanks a million Micah Cage

KevinOmeGa
10-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Great work

D16NJD16
10-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Good job there man.

pete
10-12-2005, 02:06 PM
how do you install this? I extracted over my shows file but none of them are in my database...

tnafan
10-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Nice work! One little problem is that Monday Night Football is set at 2 hours, but usually lasts well over 3 hours.

KaySeeDubya
10-12-2005, 05:59 PM
That file was strange, all the shows were named something like "alsdfjla5713948571324lj312j4l1h5k43htljfvldksa"

Hurrikane
10-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Anyone else discovered the problem with this file, that it cripples your ratings? Previously I got 2.3 million viewers for Raw, with this update I got 432,000. Is there anyway of deleting the shows whilst in the game no?

KevinOmeGa
10-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Yeah it crippled my Ratings for iMPACT too lol but I guess thats the sort of thing you have to put up with when their is more TV shows

Mike Chaos
10-12-2005, 08:05 PM
-7pm

Where I live Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are on NBC...

beatzNrhymez
10-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Where I live Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy are on NBC...

same here

only thing i had to change

Micah Cage
10-12-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeah, they're in syndication, so that means that they run nationally, but the channels buy the rights to show them. In most places I've been, CBS was the station that aired them. But I know various places where they run on ABC and NBC. So, it's just up to where you live. If it's important enough to edit, then just edit it. I used CBS because with the exception of "Lost" and "Desperate Housewives", they seem to have most of the bigger-name shows, so I added Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy because they appear to be the biggest "powerhouse" station at the moment.

Consrvtve
10-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Add in cable news. Fox news primetime (Oreilly, hannity&colmes, off the record) get alot of viewers from 8-11. Larry King on CNN would get alot too.

Also, I wouldn't put monday night football on there unless you can have it run only from September-December. I'll be pissed if Raw loses to MNF in March :)

pete
10-13-2005, 11:26 AM
How do you get this to work? Or better yet, how can you tell if the shows are in your database? Media - TV Shows only shows up wrestling shows.

Micah Cage
10-13-2005, 04:32 PM
As far as the CNN/FOXNews programs, due to their being on cable, they rarely ever hit higher than a 2.0 average. I did my research as far as cable goes too, because I wanted to include everything that could be considered major competition.

I'll use this past week's ratings as an example. The highest rated program on cable was the Sunday night NFL game between the Bengals and the Jaguars. It was on ESPN at 8:28 and only scored a 5.5.

Beyond that, nothing scored higher than a 5.0. Two MLB games, a softball game and the second hour of WWE RAW Homecoming did a 4.0 or higher. Everything else was lower than a 4.0.

3.0-4.0 shows included: 3 MLB games, the first and third hours of RAW's Homecoming, and a couple of random post- or pre-game shows that came on before or after higher ranking games.

pete
10-14-2005, 04:01 AM
Hello, could someone please answer my question? How can you tell if you've installed these TV shows? I checked my ratings and it was against Survivor, does this mean it's worked?

alvarez16
10-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello, could someone please answer my question? How can you tell if you've installed these TV shows? I checked my ratings and it was against Survivor, does this mean it's worked?

If you are outside you are in the main menu, go to edit database and click TV shows! and you'lll see a bunch there, if you are in your promotion and playing a current game, go to media, and click TV Show Schedule, if they dont show up in there, then go to options, click import data, and find all the TV shows, and add them!

LucianCarter
10-14-2005, 03:49 PM
"Saturday is generally filled with repeats from most stations. "

Don't forget Saturday Night Live. Despite airing outside of prime time it probably garners the viewers you used as a cut off.

Micah Cage
10-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I did forget about SNL. For those who'd like to add it in... obviously it goes in the Saturday "Graveyard" slot. And it generally gets an average of 6.5 rating, which, on my system is "Small" following.

Genadi
10-20-2005, 05:07 AM
I can understand some of these but I don't get how shows like Desperate Housewives can take away from a pro-wrestling audience, maybe 5-10 thousand at the most? I can understand NFL and NBA

Micah Cage
10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
That's a simple enough question to answer. It's all about demographics. You can't tell me you think that of the 17.6 million households (which comes to 25.7 million viewers) this past week... all 25.7 million of those people are non-wrestling fans.

You say 5-10 thousand. So, basically, you're suggesting that .04% of Desperate Housewives fans are also wrestling fans. Quite a stretch of the imagination.

And aside from that... the "Other TV Shows" don't have to be direct competition with pro wrestling. It's all about what's on the other channel that people are likely to watch. And the top TV shows fit in to that category. Whether they're battling pro wrestling or not.

Basically, what it comes down to is... does "Desperate Housewives" look at the schedule and say "We need to put our show on when WWE Smackdown isn't on?" No. But does "WWE Smakckdown" say "We should put our show on when Desperate Housewives isn't on?" Probably.

Acidburn
10-22-2005, 06:28 AM
Do the "other shows" have seasons on TEW or do they just run continuously all year every year?

Random Hero
10-22-2005, 09:16 AM
That's what I'm wondering too, because if they just run all the time stuff like Monday Night Football shouldn't be there because in reality you'd only have it for around 4 months. And the MLB/NBA/NHL are on pretty much every day in their respective seasons, so you can't accurately simulate that either.

TeemuFoundation
10-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Do the "other shows" have seasons on TEW or do they just run continuously all year every year?
They run in Seasons. Monday Night Football just stopped robbing my Raw ratings.

DodgyDavid
10-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Brilliant job, great stuff, great work