PDA

View Full Version : Greatest horror movies of all time

panix04
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Seemed topical!

Here are mine:

The Shining:

In my opinion one of the best ever made. Uses amazing tracking shots, a slow pace without losing your attention, quick flashes of disturbing images, its just a real head-fudge (wanted to use a different word, but you get the point!)

The Exorcist:

For some reason it has that "it could really happen" feeling, which always make horror films more scary. The music is amazing. The storyline is fab, its just really good

The Ring:

I know a lot of people claim the original film was far superior but it just seemed exactly the same to me, only it meant I actually had to read, therefore I prefer the american version! Still a brilliant horror flik, its creepy, suspensful and has a cool storyline.

nightmare on elm street

I can't count the amount of times Freddy appeared in my dreams as a kind. arguably one of the most iconic horrorcharacters of all time.

The blair witch project 2

I know it is a really bizarre sequel to include, but i loved the concept of the original but thought the film was a bit crap. The second film was quite creepy!

The Omen

I work in a school and this film still makes me want to turn to child battery! That litttle kid is just so damn creepy, and the score for the film is incredible.

wrestlingfan#1
10-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Reposessed

Any movie where the viewer is subjected to a scene with Leslie Neilson's knobby knees, absolutely terrifying. :eek:

Just kidding on a more serious note and in no particular order...

Nightmare on elm street: any of them before Wes Craven's New nightmare that is. I used to have recurring nightmares about Freddy Krueger killing me in my dreams.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: again the originals. something about a man who cut off the faces of his victims and wore them like masks shivers my bones.

Tremors: Ok so maybe this one isn't exactly a horror movie by description but it has all the elments of one. A supernatural killer, suspenseful moments, and surprises that make you jump. I remember being showered with popcorn at the theatre when it jumped up through the ground...

MattitudeV2
10-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Halloween:Michael Myers became iconic after these flims

Texas Chainsaw Massacre:Not as iconic as Halloween but it has you on the edge of your seat.

Nightmare on Elm Street:After watching these flims I was scared to go to sleep.

Those are my top three but if I had to see this one
Blair Witch Project-because of the realism

Self
10-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm not a horror film guy, because I don't like to feel scared, but I've seen some. I remember watching The Shining for the first time a couple of years ago in University and thinking "I understand all of these shots and techniques, I've seen them countless times, copied in more modern pictures. They're basically cliches. I've seen numerous parodies... but I AM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!" That movie just works. It's awesome.

Fleisch
10-30-2009, 12:30 PM
In no Particular order:

Nightmare on Elm Street.
I first watched it when I was quite young (sneakily) and it freaked me out I couldn't sleep because I was scared Freddy would get me! I still watch it these days every now and again and although it doesn't frighten me anymore, Freddy is just a great character.

The Ghost
I can't remember if it's Korean or Japanese, but it is a really good horror film IMO, even has a nice little twist in it towards the end.

Ringu
The Japanese version of The Ring. For some reason I found it alot creepier than the American remake. It could be because there were less special effects and more story in the original.

I have alot more as I love horror films, but I'd be here all day!

The Masked Orange
10-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I am a big fan of the classic slasher movie, seriously I love them. It's an art form that is above explotation horror like saw and generic splatter horror.

And while I do respect movies like the Blair Witch Project and The shining, for me nothing can beat a good slasher movie.

Here's a list of good ones:

Black Christmas
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Last House on the Left
Halloween
My Bloody Valentine
April Fools (Sheerly for the ending)
Happy Birthday to Me
The Hills Have Eyes
Haute Tension

Last house on te Left is technically one of the first explotation films, but it's a very good movie in quite a sick way.

Hyde Hill
10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Just wanted to ad The Devils Rejects ,haven't seen house of 100 corpses yet, Hellraiser, Saw 1 and Baindead.

angeldelayette
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I am a major horror fan and watch the movies I can get my hands on.

Friday the 13th-part 1-remake
Night of the Living Dead (1969)
Return of the Living Dead-parts 1-3

Just a few quick ones to whet your whistle.

FINisher
10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Spice World and any of the Pokemon movies. :p

Hyde Hill
10-30-2009, 02:18 PM
That is an insult to Pokemon.

PhenomenalPat
10-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Although I wouldn't consider it one of the greatest, seeing as those have been mentioned in this thread already, but one of my absolute favs is Severance. It's a very clever British Horror flick that perfectly blends horror and comedy together.

Plus I found Quarantine to bee rather creepy.

The Masked Orange
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Wanted to throw "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" in aswell.

Best horror/sci-fi movie ever.

pate
10-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Hellraiser I and II

JTandSilentBob
10-30-2009, 03:45 PM
The blair witch project 2

I know it is a really bizarre sequel to include, but i loved the concept of the original but thought the film was a bit crap. The second film was quite creepy!

I've got a feeling you like Burn Notice.

On Topic: My favorites are the Friday the 13th movies 1-3. Followed by Scream. Scream was a great horror movie in a satirical(sp?) sense. Really got into the Wishmaster movies because I have Comcast on Demand and they were available. They are so cheesy I had to watch.

10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
First one that came to my mind is the strangers...watching it in the dark, not knowing what to expect...i poo'd my pants first time watching it.

alden
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
I am a horror movie buff..........I would have to say one of the best horror movies i had ever seen was the eye........not the american version but the japaness version. It was very good.....had a good flow to it and very inteligent. I like a "smart" horror movie.

Imarevenant
10-30-2009, 04:20 PM
I am a horror movie buff..........I would have to say one of the best horror movies i had ever seen was the eye........not the american version but the japaness version. It was very good.....had a good flow to it and very inteligent. I like a "smart" horror movie.

Indeed the Japanese version is so much better. As well, I'm still apallad about how badly the American remakes screwed up both Ju-On and [rec].

Aside from all that's been mentioned so far, some of my favorites are;

Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead (original)
Suspiria
Zombi 2
Audition
Evil Dead
and
The Wicker Man (the original not the Nick Cage fiasco)

Some newer movies that are great as well;

The Host
Let The Right One In
May
Hard Candy

Still haven't gotten to see Drag Me To Hell yet though :(

mjdgoldeneye
10-30-2009, 04:24 PM
If the Evil Dead movies count, definitely them. :D

Clarity
10-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Winner hands down is.... Manos: Hands Of Fate

Manos link on IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060666/)

Generally creepy.. Especially scenes with the little girl towards the end

MattitudeV2
10-30-2009, 07:41 PM
haven't seen house of 100 corpses.

You probably shouldn't see it with a full stomach as it will make you sick to your stomach with the epic gore and eerieness this flim holds.

alden
10-30-2009, 07:50 PM
I am not so much of a fan of gore movies. I think it is to easy to be honest. Look at one of the best horror movies of all times. Psycho......My grandmother to this day can't take a shower when no one is home because of that movie right there. There is no over the top violence.....no bloody corpes......nothing like that.

Astil
10-30-2009, 07:59 PM

YES!

But the MS3k version

Imarevenant
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM

http://jmilke.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/torgo.jpg?w=250&h=265

Torgo approves of this message.

BHK1978
10-31-2009, 01:30 AM
I will just leave a list without writing anything about the film themselves.

A Nightmare On Elm Street parts one and three.

The first three Hellraiser movies.

The Wicker Man (The original Edward Woodward version)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (the original)

Friday the 13th Part One

Halloween I and II (the original ones), Halloween I (the Rob Zombie version)

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors

The Saw movies, I love how each version is tied into the others.

Rosemary's Baby

Any movie with the combo of Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee

Nosferatu (the original silent version)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Fredric March version)

I could go on and on but you get the picture.

Clarity
10-31-2009, 05:57 AM
http://jmilke.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/torgo.jpg?w=250&h=265

Torgo approves of this message.But the MaStEr WoUlDn'T aPpRoVe :)

I've been building up a small collection of MST3K DVD's since the series ended (10 years ago :() and actually have Manos in my collection..

Although MST3k lives on (spirtually) in Cinematic Titanic

For those that havn't seen it

A family on vacation in the desert takes a wrong turn and ends up in an old dark house run by the creepy Torgo, who says he takes care of the place while The Master is away. As night falls the family is menaced by The Master and his wives, a supernatural cult that worships the evil deity known as Manos.

For those that watch How I Met Your Mother.. Its actually mentioned in the episode where Ted dates Elliot from Scrubs in 2 minutes as the worst film ever made

Crychon
10-31-2009, 08:53 AM
I've gotta give props to the Evil Dead series, Alien series, and The Thing.

b0shey
10-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Wrong Turn
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Original)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre The Begining (just loved it)
The Mist
Halloween 1 and 2 (got to love Jamie Lee Curtis)
Hostel
Childs Play 1-3 (4-5 are mediocre)
Dawn of The Dead (Both)
The Ruins
Poltergeist
Saw I and II

some of the horror movies i love

Comradebot
10-31-2009, 09:38 AM
How has no one mentioned this one?

Slither

Nathan Fillion is a god among men, and the film itself is done in a style wonderfully similar to the Evil Dead trilogy. But, you know, with Nathan Fillion.

lazorbeak
10-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Man all the highs have already been hit! Here's some quotes I like from some of my favorites.

The Shining: Give me the bat, Wendy.

Poltergeist: They're heeeeere.

Suspiria: Hell is behind that door!

The Omen: Look at me, Damien! It's all for you.

Nightmare on Elm Street: Morality sucks.

Devil_Bingo
10-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Friday 13ths - Classics
Nightmare on Elm Street - Same reason as everyone eles
Halloween - Movies are great. And Remake is great
Saw
Devils Rejects
Texas Chainsaw Masscres - Not the orginals. Only good orginal was second one.

Antithesis
10-31-2009, 12:44 PM
John Carpenter's The Thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZkkIsLiNg

The Exorcist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4f_NMUxcY

Arachnophobia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aQ6vg3JB2U

The Shining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cb3ik6zP2I&feature=related

Let The Right One In
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZJUgsZ56vQ

smurphy1014
10-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Hostel
Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Saw
Devils Rejects

The Masked Orange
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Also, The Mist.

Better than the novel in my opinion. Just because the ending owned. Yes I said owned, take your monocles off and face the future!

alden
10-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Also, The Mist.

Better than the novel in my opinion. Just because the ending owned. Yes I said owned, take your monocles off and face the future!

ok grandpa......it is pwned now.....who says owned any more lol

But back on topic..........I was a huge fan of the first saw.......it was not so much horror but thriller with some horror thrown in. After the first one they went way down hill......they had a great concept......and it seams like the super low budget movies always do it for me.

The Masked Orange
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
ok grandpa......it is pwned now.....who says owned any more lol

But back on topic..........I was a huge fan of the first saw.......it was not so much horror but thriller with some horror thrown in. After the first one they went way down hill......they had a great concept......and it seams like the super low budget movies always do it for me.

Pawned?!?

*sound of monocle falling off*