View Single Post
Unread 12-26-2016, 04:49 PM
All Star

Default June 2001: Great American Bash Wrap-up

I guess Kidman was so focused on getting ready for his match tonight that he ignored Bobby Heenan as Bobby tried to talk to him about something backstage before the show. The Brain took him to task for it in front of the other boys, but did it in such a way that everyone, Kidman included, was dying with laughter by the end. All's well that ends well.

Scott Steiner and Jeff Jarrett were both pretty unhappy about losing tonight, but Jim Duggan was downright furious. Scott and Jeff both have the talent and popularity to headline, so I certainly hope their complaints won't lead to festering resentment. As for Jim, well, his shelf life's pretty short no matter what his mood is.

I praised Booker T, Scott Steiner and Kanyon during our post-show meeting. Scott and Book deserved recognition for closing the show out on a good note, while I was really impressed with how much Kanyon stepped up to the plate in his falls count anywhere match with DDP.

Ernest Miller failed another steroid test, and I suspended him for one month. He did not take that decision well. Not only did he leave my office in a huff, but word got back to me that he badmouthed me to everyone he passed on his way out of the building. He's talented enough that he does have some value, but he's nowhere near important enough for me to go out of my way to appease him. If he acts up again I'll most likely give him his walking papers.

Speaking of steroid testing, a really bizarre letter arrived at my office today. It said:

"Dump the steroid testing, unless you want to risk a repeat of Randy Savage.

-Signed, James Hill"

The letter was odd enough, but the stationery it was written on was even stranger. I swear somebody stole the stationery out of Vince's office in the late 80's or early 90's, held onto it for all these years and used it to send me this message. I don't really understand it. It was no secret that Randy was on the juice, but that didn't stop him from being one of the most heavily pushed and successful guys of the era aside from Hulk. Who knows what this was all about, but I was already thinking about dropping steroids from our policy and only testing for hard drugs. Maybe this was a sign.

Konnan thinks Jamie Knoble could develop into a really good promo if I give him more time on the mic. Between this and RVD's praise, it seems like the former Jamie-san has some real support in the locker room. I think he's a talented hand too; it's just a matter of finding the time and the right story.

Hell Raiser, aka The Wall, is now back on the active roster. I have zero clue what to do with him and I'm not sure there's really a place for him in the new WCW, but we'll see.

Quote:
Prediction Scores (out of a possible maximum of 12):

jscotty: 11
evileddie10: 11
Beejus: 11
franticloser: 11

Uncrewed: 10
Dead_Jester: 10
Satyr24: 10
2Sweet: 10
bonnie: 10
Anderz: 10
SomeLazyMagic: 10

smw88: 9
K-Nection: 9
KnowYourEnemy: 9
angeldelayette: 9
crackerjack: 9
scarletspeed7: 9

Warhawk8492: 8
The_CoC: 8
deanohbk: 8
StarshipAwsome: 8

michgcs: 7
Happy0wns: 7

Nobby_McDonald: 5
Quote:
Final Standings in prediction contest:

Uncrewed: 18
Dead_Jester: 18
Anderz: 18

Satyr24: 17
Beejus: 17
evileddie10: 17

smw88: 16
angeldelayette: 16
2Sweet: 16
SomeLazyMagic: 16
jscotty: 16

The_CoC: 15
Warhawk8492: 15
StarshipAwsome: 15

michgcs: 14

deanohbk: 13
KnowYourEnemy: 13

Happy0wns: 11
franticloser: 11
K-Nection: 11

bonnie: 10

crackerjack: 9
scarletspeed7: 9

Cro Cop Rules: 7

The_Monk: 5
Rainmaker: 5
BHK6: 5
Nobby_McDonald: 5

Congrats to the three who finished tied for first in this very short contest; I'll PM you shortly. July's Bash at the Beach will be the start of my regular prediction schedule, where I'll be running two contests per year that run for six months apiece.

I keep forgetting to mention this, but Stu Hart died within the first month of gameplay. I wasn't sure of the right way to handle that within the story, or if I really even wanted to, so I chose not to cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgcs View Post
United States Heavyweight Championship: Mike Awesome vs. Rey Misterio Jr. {}
I know I said Misterio will look good chasing the title, but maybe he wins via the ol' "Awesome gets DQ-ed for being too brutal" trope
I think that sort of finish would've diminished Rey from a story and character standpoint even if it would've been fine in-game, and right now I'm trying to establish him as a top tier guy. You were right about the tone I was going for though, and I think the post-match attack accomplished it.

Quote:
Cruiserweight Championship: Billy Kidman vs. "Sugar" Shane Helms {}
Hopefully these two can have a long feud together
It's probably not much of a surprise to hear me say that this story isn't over yet, considering the way the finish played out. These are arguably the two top guys in the division now that Rey's fighting the big boys, so I need to squeeze as much out of this match-up as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowYourEnemy View Post
World Heavyweight Championship: "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner vs. Booker T {}
Dusty Finish Alert: It'll be a contout win for Steiner after Booker gets hurt on the outside. I don't think this ends clean.
I seriously considered this very ending, but I felt it would make Booker look too weak and Steiner too sympathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldelayette View Post
United States Heavyweight Championship: Mike Awesome vs. Rey Misterio Jr. {}
It won't end clean, though. I'm thinking Awesome power bombs Misterio through a table and is either DQed or Rey Rey gets counted out.
You definitely got the Awesome Bomb through the table right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartman View Post
Seems like someone broke HHH's "burial" shovel in this universe. That's hilarious.
His record is a sterling 5-3-3 thus far, and all but one of his wins has come in either a tag or six man tag with Austin. His lone singles win was over Edge, admittedly a nice win because Edge is a main eventer...but he also has a no contest with K-Kwik to his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejus View Post
RVD - Jarrett uses the guitar to get DQ'd when he realizes he can't beat Rob on his own.
Got it in one!

Quote:
Lance Storm - Because Lance is a clean living Canadian who doesn't need any enhancements!
That's gimmick infringement! (It's also true, but still. Not like Punk's about to go around talking about being serious for a minute.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by franticloser View Post
Haven't read yet, I've been mia for a month or so, warms my heart this Christmas to see TFC back with a new journey!
Heh, glad to hear it! Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletspeed7 View Post
World Heavyweight Championship: "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner vs. Booker T {} Knowing your skill at writing promos, this would just be more interesting to me.
Funny that you say that, because I have real doubts about my ability to capture Steiner's verbal insanity. Especially since I'm trying to keep things relatively clean to go along with Bret's family friendly ideals.

Quote:
Wanted to try my hand at a fan piece, as I enjoy reading them in diaries. I like where you're going with WCW -- the writing has been exceptional -- however, I wanted to take a "contemporary" look at the company, so I wrote a more neutral analysis: Bret took over a failing brand, and many observers would be skeptical early on. Hope you enjoy. I'm not exactly sure if there is/what is the accepted protocol for these, if it breaks to much Kayfabe for Bret, I won't do it again.
Dude, the absolute last thing I'm going to do is try and discourage you from continuing this! I remember reading reader-created supplemental content like this in Nevermore's ECW when I was first starting and thinking, "Man, this is so cool! How awesome would it be if someone ever likes my work enough to want to do something like this?" It's really rewarding to know that my work is being enjoyed to that degree, and I also think it adds vibrance and personality to the game world to see things from an outside perspective like this. I loved this post, just like I loved it in TGAAB when scarletspeed took it upon himself to track everyone's win-loss records and Smasher volunteered to handle the news updates. You have my blessing and encouragement.

As for breaking kayfabe, I doubt I'd care about that regardless, but it's even less of a concern here given the style I'm using to present my shows. I'd say insider stuff like this fits right in.