View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2017, 09:45 PM
All Star

Default July 2001: Bash at the Beach Wrap-up

24 hours removed from Bash at the Beach, and I was feeling pretty good. This makes three excellent PPV events in a row for us right out of the gate. There's a lot of work to do in rebuilding the tarnished name of WCW, but if we keep producing quality shows like this, word of mouth will go a long way towards accomplishing that. I'd only just finished discussing the match outline for the main event of next month's big PPV in Japan with Scott Steiner when my phone rang. My eyebrows rose when I recognized the number.

Quote:
"Vince," I said casually.

"Heya pal!" he said in that phony voice of his.

"Is there something I can do for you, or is this purely a social call?" I deadpanned.

"Can't I just want to check in with a guy who served my company loyally for thirteen years?"

"No," I said flatly. There was no way he'd be calling me without a reason, and we both knew it.

"Quite frankly, Bret, I called because I'm worried about you."

This I couldn't believe. "As much as I'd like to hang up right now, I'm too curious to hear where this is going. Go on."

"Well, I couldn't help but notice that you ran a pay-per-view last night."

"Don't pretend like this was news to you. I read your quote in USA Today complaining about it."

"Well can you blame me?" he asked. "Competing with us on Monday night is bad enough, though I can't really fault you for that since Bischoff started it. But not even Eric was petulant enough to air a PPV head-to-head with ours. That's just foolish business."

"Was it foolish when you put the first Survivor Series head-to-heard with Starrcade purely to screw with Crockett?" I fired back.

"That was a totally different circumstance," he dismissed. "You're still trying to dig yourself out of the hole Bischoff and Russo dug for you, and we're firing on all cylinders even with Rock off filming a movie. Why in the world would you schedule a PPV the same night as ours?"

"It was the night that worked best for my scheduling," I said with a shrug, though obviously he couldn't see it. "Besides, I don't think our fans were at all disappointed with the show we put on."

"Maybe not, though I'll have to take your word for it. Do you really think it compared to Vengeance though? Steve and Glenn had a top-notch main event, and I'd wager that Angle and Christian in the semi main was also better than anything you put on."

He wasn't wrong. The last two matches on their show were both fantastic, and led the way for a card that was slightly more well-received than our own. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of admitting to it though.

"You've got some big stars there, no doubt about it," I conceded, but mainly so I could get a dig in. "It must be frustrating for your future son-in-law to be so low on the totem pole that he's gone to a no contest with Spike Dudley on two out of the last three PPVs."

"Very funny, Bret," Vince said, though I could tell he'd like nothing better than to reach through the phone and strangle me. The feeling was very much mutual. "Hunter's a team player, just like you used to be. That's actually why I called. It's still not too late for you to return to the family."

"You're not my family, and the answer's still no," I said. "We may not be a threat to you right now, but we're building momentum and focusing on the future. It might not be a month from now or even a year from now, but sooner or later you're gonna turn around and realize we're right on your heels."

"I sincerely doubt that," Vince said smugly. "I just hope you don't wake up to that reality after you've already driven your company, and yourself, to financial ruin." He hung up before I had the chance to respond.
Moving on from that unpleasantness...

Jeff Jarrett has become a real backstage malcontent after losing to RVD on two straight PPVs. That's unfortunate, but I'm not going to apologize for making someone do his job.

I heaped plenty of praise on Booker and Scott Steiner for their main event, and also thanked DDP for selflessly putting over Kanyon. Double J could learn a thing or two from the master of the Diamond Cutter.

Quote:
Prediction Scores (out of a possible 11):

Dead_Jester: 10

evileddie10: 9
Beejus: 9

Uncrewed: 8
K-Nection: 8
Satyr24: 8
Rainmaker: 8
SomeLazyMagic: 8
Cro Cop Rules: 8
StarshipAwsome: 8