View Single Post
Unread 05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
All Star

Default July 2002: Bash at the Beach Wrap-up and Hall of Champions

Kanyon lifted everyone's spirits before the PPV by organizing a video game tournament--and for added entertainment value, he played while never removing his Mortis mask. I doubt he did well in the tournament, but it sounds like a good time was had by all. Plus Shane Helms provided some food to enhance the experience. We really do have a great locker room. None of this stuff was happening when guys like Hogan and Nash were here playing some games of their own: the political, backstabbing kind.

A couple of injuries from the show: Ric Flair's nose was broken. It won't keep him out of action for any length of time.

The news is worse for Mark Jindrak, who hurt his spine on an awkward bump. He'll probably be out for a couple of months.

I praised Booker and Rey for an excellent match. I also thought Matt Hardy could use some encouragement after a rough night, so I gave him a pat on the back and apologized for asking him to go so hard for so long.

WWE ran Vengeance the same night. Obviously they did higher attendance and a much larger audience watching at home, but our show was superior for the second straight month. Their main event in which Hogan retained his title over Shawn Michaels (who surely lost his smile when Vince told him he'd be doing the job) was admittedly a good match, slightly better than our own main event and on par with Booker vs. Rey. Nothing else on the show was anywhere near that good though.

ROH held their first show, 'Lost Cause' (did Russo name this show? Talk about an ominous name for a debut.) It was fine for the level they're at. Hy-Zaya beat Mace Mendoza to become the first ROH World champion in the main event, but the runaway match of the night came in the semi main when Insane Dragon and Danny Doring beat Ian Rotten and Joel Maximo in a tag match.

Quote:
Prediction Scores (out of a possible 13):

Warhawk8492: 13

jscotty: 12

Uncrewed: 11
Purotastic: 11
chrismday: 11
shawn michaels 82: 11
odan: 11
sportsfanmas: 11
BHK6: 11

Jackets: 10
bonnie: 10
cbacon87: 10
Satyr24: 10
SIser187: 10
The Lariat: 10
Cro Cop Rules: 10
GnarlsFunk: 10

Greggyb: 9
Happy0wns: 9
Ian carlisle: 9
Rateddc: 9
Beejus: 9
evileddie10: 9
crackerjack: 9
Wolfman84: 9
franticloser: 9
LordofGustav: 9
Briskout: 9

DGenerationMC: 8
Dead_Jester: 8
smw88: 8
deanohbk: 8
Kijar: 8
GingeyOne: 8
smartman: 8
Nobby_McDonald: 8

K-Nection: 7
michgcs: 7
Hall of Champions:

World Heavyweight Champion:

Booker T (5th reign)

Won: May 19th, 2002 from Rob Van Dam at Mayhem in Worcester, Massachusetts

Previous Champions (since March 2001):
Rob Van Dam: December 30th, 2001-May 19th, 2002 (140 days)
Scott Steiner: July 15th, 2001-December 30th, 3001 (168 days)
Booker T: March 26th, 2001-July 15th, 2001 (111 days)

World Women's Champion:

Etsuko Mita

Won: January 9th, 2002 against Zap I during the AJW Glass Grave Yard tour in Annaka, Japan after Aja Kong vacated the title when she left AJW
((Mita was the reigning WWWA World champion when AJW was bought out by WCW. The title was adopted into WCW with its lineage intact, and Mita was recognized as WCW's Women's World Champion.))

Previous Champions (since January 2002):
None

United States Heavyweight Champion:

Shane Douglas (2nd reign)

Won: April 1st, 2002 from Rey Misterio Jr. at Monday Nitro in Pikeville, Kentucky

Rey Misterio Jr (#2): October 14th, 2001-April 1st, 2002 (169 days)
Kanyon: August 5th, 2001-October 14th, 2001 (70 days)
Rey Misterio Jr: May 13th, 2001-August 5th, 2001 (85 days)
Booker T: March 18th, 2001-April 30th, 2001 (44 days)

Cruiserweight Champion:

AJ Styles

Won: April 21st, 2002 from TAKA at Slamboree in Tokyo, Japan

TAKA: December 30th, 2001-April 21st, 2002 (112 days)
Jushin Liger: August 5th, 2001-December 30th, 2001 (147 days)
Shane Helms: March 18th, 2001-August 5th, 2001 (140 days)

World Tag Team Champions:

The Hardys (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy)

Won: July 14th, 2002 from True Heroes at Bash at the Beach in Melbourne, Australia

True Heroes (Lance Storm and CM Punk): December 30th, 2001-July 14th, 2002 (196 days)
The Natural Born Thrillers (Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire): January 14th, 2001-December 30th, 2001 (351 days)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Cop Rules View Post
Oh, and I would mark if you signed Dr. Death His pop in America may be low (not sure what his stats look like) but he could be good for your Japan tours.[/b]
His popularity in the US isn't terrible, honestly. He'd probably autopush as a midcarder, if not possibly upper mid. His in ring skills are good but not great, which is probably accurate for 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy0wns View Post
I gotta say Soundgarden has always been on my list of artists I've always wanted to see live. So to hear about Chris dying... it was the worst. Nice touch to the PPV.
My buddy actually had tickets to see them as part of a festival three days after he died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman84 View Post
Great show TFC. One of my favorite covers of all time is Chris Cornell version of Billie Jean. Gone too soon and will be sadly missed.
LOVE that cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Nection View Post
Awesome show!!! I love how your TV title means something!!! AJ and Chavo tearing the house down was awesome!!! Almost all your titles have surely been elevated with that showing.....well except the US belt lol.
I was pleasantly surprised by that cruiserweight title match. I guess I just need to give AJ more time and not have him go all out.

Quote:
Shane is a great champ with absolutely no competition it seems. Maybe there is a certain Patriot that can bring the title "back" to America by flexing his way to a title match....
After having to carry Jindrak two PPVs in a row, now you want him to carry the worst worker in the company? You must hate Shane Douglas!

Quote:
Also here is something I always hold close when booking Main Events in TEW. If it is 15 minutes or shorter I will use something that contains the Go All Out note. If it is 16 minutes or longer I will use the Slow Build note. I feel that going all out for anything longer than 15 minutes would be tiring to watch let alone trying to pull off.
I believe I did twenty minutes exactly for the first Hardys/Heroes match, to avoid the cap for the match being too short. I've almost completely stayed away from slow build in this game as I'm not sure how badly the match would suffer if my guys didn't have enough psychology to pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijar View Post
RIP to Chris Cornell. Absolute legend.

Great show, TFC. Truly. Congrats to the Hardyz, and also to Booker and Rey for getting that point above them.
I'm sure Booker is pleased about it. He can rub that in Double A's face.