View Single Post
Unread 06-03-2017, 01:47 PM
Major League

Week 1, June 1996
Rosemont Horizon
ATT: 20,000
TV: 14.50

Quote:

The show opens to some music that we haven't heard for a while and that would be the bagpipes that signal the arrival of one Rowdy Roddy Piper to Monday Night Raw. He walks to the ring to a good ovation (the WWF fans are always happy to see the Hot Rod it would seem) and addresses the crowd ahead of his King of the Ring qualifying match. He says that he wasn't expecting to be here this evening, but he was sat watching Raw last week when his phone rung, it was none other than Gorilla Monsoon, telling him that he had been selected to take part in the King of the Ring.....

....."now I ain't gonna lie, when Monsoon told me I was a little bit sceptical....I mean, I'm as far removed from royalty as you can possibly get.....the only royal appointment I'm likely to get is as the courts jester......but then Gorilla, he told me two things.....the first, being that the winner of the King of the Ring would be granted a shot at the WWF Champion next month at In Your House.....and the second? Was that Steve Austin had already been entered.....any time you're going to offer me the chance to compete for the World Wrestling Federation Championship you're gonna get The Hot Rod's attention......but another chance to tangle with Steve Austin, well that just seals the deal....."

He goes on to say that while he defeated Austin at Wrestlemania, removing him from the service of the Million Dollar Man in the process, Austin still hasn't lived up to the ideals that Piper thought he would.....and that's been for two reason, Roddy Piper not being around to continually slap some sense into Austin......"and Brian Pillman not living up to his end of the bargain.....Brian, you assured me that you were going to finish what I started.....I took the Ringmaster name away from him and you guaranteed me that you were enough of a loose cannon to take the Ringmaster mentality away from him too....what happened?"

Piper says that he thought Brian Pillman was going to be to the WWF in the 90's, what Roddy Piper was in the 80's....basically a troublemaker who dances to the beat of his own drum....maybe I was wrong.....maybe Austin is right....either way, it looks like I'm going to have to finish the job that I started at Wrestlemania myself....I can't do that until I beat my first opponent.....so Barry Windham, come on down baby....lets do this right now.

Rating: A

Quote:

VS.
King of the Ring 1st Round Match

Windham indeed answers Pipers call and heads down to the ring, alone surprisingly, leaving Justin Bradshaw in the back. Surprisingly given the length of these two veterans careers, I don't recall them ever really squaring off, even during Windhams early days in the WWF as one half of the U.S Express. Because of that, this makes for an interesting combination....and it helps that neither man is....lets say, in their prime....because it means no one has to struggle to keep up with the other. It was a decent back and forth match, with an old school flavour. Barry played the dastardly heel, while Piper was Piper.....which means he was basically a face using heel tactics that the crowd popped for. The end came when Piper was able to slither out of a running bulldog attempt and hook Windham with the sleeper for the victory.

Winner: Roddy Piper
Rating: B

Quote:

We head backstage, where Bret Hart is walking and calling after a lone figure that is ahead of him. It's Brian Pillman, who either doesn't hear the Hitman, or chooses not to hear the Hitman, because he carries on walking straight through a door. Hart breaks into a light jog and the camera follows him as he rushes through the door after Pillman, bursting out into the parking lot. Bret again calls Brian's name, but Pillman ignores him, instead he loads his bags into the trunk of his car. Hart again calls out to the Loose Cannon, Pillman however walks around to the drivers side of the car, gets in....and drives away without a word.....the show has barely started and Brian Pillman has left the building already, leaving Bret Hart standing alone and confused.

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

We may as well call tonight's show Monday Night King of the Ring....because 1st round matches are all we have tonight. This time round we have Son of Samoa member Rikishi, going up against former Smoking Gunn member Billy Gunn. Gunn has his executive consultant Mr. Perfect with him, but Perfect opts to join the commentary team, where he spends the majority of the match bigging up Billy, while running down Bart.

These two have a pretty good match, with Billy showing off his athleticism and an effort to run circles round the big man......while Rikishi (being a big man) uses his superior size. The island boy was almost able to pick up a victory here, but at the last minute Mr. Perfect shot up from the commentary table, just in time to cause a distraction long enough for his client to regain his composure, hitting that Rocker Dropper that he has apparently dubbed the "Famouser" for the three count.

Winner: Billy Gunn
Rating: C+

Quote:

We head backstage, where Dok Hendrix is with the Hardy Boyz. They discuss the big win from last week, praising the Legion of Doom for their tutelage over the last few weeks, making all this possible. They then discuss the future, saying that teaming with the LoD last week bought them their first major victory....now they want a victory all on their own.....which is when....

.....Faarooq walks into shot. He tells the brothers to calm down, they road the coat tails of Hawk and Animal for that win....on their own, they ain't nothing.....Faarooq showed that on superstars when he knocked Jeff Hardy out of the King of the Ring....and the Knights showed that a few weeks back, "when they beat both your punk asses." Faarooq continues the goad the two youngsters, who look like they're feeling froggy.....unfortunately.....

......so are the rest of the Nation, because they suddenly blindside the Hardys, beating them down and into the hard concrete floor. With the youngsters incapacitated, Faarooq leans over and tells them that if they insist on trying to act like players, the Nation will treat them as such, before exclaiming that Nelson and Bobby Knight will face them anywhere, anytime.

Rating: B-

Quote:

It's back to the arena, where Dr. Si Coe is standing by in the middle of the ring. He has his white coat and glasses on, with an envelope tucked under his arm.....he's also clearly still favouring the KLiQs vicious assault from last week, as he winces with each step around the ring. He talks for a few moments (between fits of giggles that make him clutch at his ribs) about the progress that Al Snow has made....how proud his is of the accomplishments he has made.....and how proud he is to call Al his friend....before asking the man himself to join him in the ring. Snow comes out and it's clear that his head is a much quieter place. Dr. Coe's methods may have been unorthodox but they seem to produce results.

Al thanks his Doctor, telling him that for the first time in months he is actually able to sleep, without Avatar chattering away in his ear all night. Coe tells him that it was Snow that did the hard work and he was fully deserving of this (handing Al the envelope) which was his official certificate of sanity. Snow gratefully accepts the flimsy sheet of paper (that frankly looks like it's been designed by an 8 year old) and lofts it above his head like he just won the World Championship.

Celebrations over with, Snow tells the Doctor that it's time to get down to business....he says that their professional relationship might be coming to an end but they still have things that need to be addressed....mainly the KLiQ.....because after what they did to them last week, Al's got revenge on his mind....he says he's going to speak to Gorilla Monsoon and request a match.....Sean Waltman and Justin Credible, against Al Snow and Dr. Simon Coe.....

.....and it looks as though he won't have to wait long for an answer to that request, because Monsoon is here. He tells Al that before he places any more of his trust in the man stood beside him, he has some unfortunate news that he should really hear....

"You see, being the President of the WWF comes with more responsibilities than just coming out here and granting matches.....I also have to meet with the Board of Directors to discuss the state of the company as a whole, any business matters and any unauthorised personnel that will be attending the shows.......which is when I got to speaking about YOU (pointing to the good Doctor) and what they told me about you.......was that they had absolutely no idea who you were.....they certainly didn't authorise or arrange your arrival here in the WWF as Mr. Snow's Doctor as you claim, nor do they.....or any medical practice that I have asked, have any record of you whatsoever......so Al, before you place anymore trust in this man as your tag team partner.....you should be asking him who he really is."

Snow looks confused, asking his Doctor if this is true....but Coe just stands there. He looks crestfallen to have been found out.....well, half the time he looks crestfallen, the other half is still spent in fits of giggles that he seemingly can't control. He slaps himself to try and regain his composure, before regretfully informing Al that it is indeed true....he's not a Doctor.....he's not even called Simon....his name is Bill....Bill DeMott.....and he wasn't sent here by the WWF Board of Directors.....but he was sent here. Snow asks by who? But DeMott simply answers

"Him.....he wants you Al.....he'll be here soon......"

Snow asks who "he" is but DeMott has turned into a bag of nerves, scanning the crowd and the entrance way, his fits of giggles have turned into nervous laughter now, before he abruptly turns and runs from the ring, leaving both Al and Monsoon stood baffled, but not before telling Snow that....

"......you'll see soon enough.....he's coming, he's coming for you....and I don't want to be here when he arrives....."

Rating: C+

Quote:

VS.

It's time for the official in ring return for Goldust....and fittingly it's against the man that put him on the shelf in the first place, Bob Holly. Injuring Goldust is about the only noteworthy thing that Holly has accomplished this year to be fair, so the chance to advance in the King of the Ring tournament is a huge opportunity for him. Unfortunately Goldust is simply too much for him, and with Marlena looking on from ringside Holly is finished off with a Curtain Call from the Bizarre One, giving him both the victory and a modicum of revenge for the two months (and Intercontinental Championship) that Goldust lost thanks to him.

Winner: Goldust

Quote:

The match is over and Goldust stands celebrating his victory with his beautiful Valet, when Chris Jericho comes running down the aisle. He slides into the ring, looking to lay a beating on the man who has assaulted him for the last few weeks.....but Goldust shoves Marlena between himself and his would-be attacker and bails to the outside and up the entrance ramp. Jericho grabs a microphone and asks Goldust what the problem is....."you only want to fight me when my back is turned? Is that it?" Jericho spins around and faces the opposite direction, telling Goldust to take his best shot....."but make it count, because I'll have you screaming in the Liontamer about two seconds later."

Goldust looks like he's considering it for a second but finally opts to make a retreat, telling Jericho that while he would like nothing more than for Lionheart to make him scream...."not tonight my King.....not tonight...."

Quote:

After that we head to the back, where Dom Hendrix tries to get a word with Steve Austin ahead of his match with Rick Steiner, but Austin (who's cool and calm facade has been fading these last few weeks) snatches the microphone off him, telling him to "get the hell outta here, before you get your ass whipped." Apparently Steve doesn't need anyone interviewing him. He looks into the camera, telling Bret Hart that it seems like his little buddy Brian Pillman, took his ball and went home...."what's the matter Brian? Does the truth hurt son?" He tells Bret that in a few short minutes, he's going to go out there, take care of Rick Steiner, and be one step closer to taking home the King of the Ring.....because I don't care who I have to beat to do it, Steiner, Helmsley, the Bulldog......Roddy Piper.....everyone seems to be concerned with how Steve Austin is....or isn't, acting recently......but not one of these idiots has what it takes to stop Steve Austin from getting where he's going....and that's straight to the damn top."

Quote:

VS.

With his brother already being guaranteed a shot at the WWF Title at King of the Ring, Rick Steiner needs a good run of results here to ensure he's not sat twiddling his thumbs with nothing to do come the actual event. Unfortunately he's in there with a Steve Austin who apparently has something to prove. It's a pretty good match between these two, with Steiner very nearly picking up the victory following a big belly to belly suplex from the second rope.....unfortunately the ending was marred in controversy. With Steiner on the offence, the KLiQ make their appearance known after a (unusually) quiet showing by their standards. Helmsley, Sunny, Nash and Hall come walking down the aisle, their usually cocky selves. They surround the ring, drawing the attention of the official away from the fact that WWF Champion Shawn Michaels has just hopped over the guard rail......and nailed Rick Steiner square in the jaw with a hefty dose of Sweet Chin Music. Austin locks in the Million Dollar Dream, just as the referee turns his attention back to the match. Rick Steiner is out.....Steve Austin advances.

Winner: Steve Austin

Quote:

With the victory in the bag, Austin takes in his surroundings.....(his surroundings being a whole pack of KLiQ members) and decides that a swift exit is in order, rolling out of the ring and heading to the back. Steiner is still an unconscious body laying in the middle of the mat....but it doesn't stop the KLiQ laying the boots to him, before Hunter Hearst Helmsley decides to drag the Dog Faced Gremlin to his feet.....only to drop him again with a Pedigree......

......which is the exact moment that Rick's brother, Scott comes running down to the ring....he's not empty handed though, as he is brandishing a long thick grey steel pipe. The KLiQ see the weapon and bail from the ring....not in fear though, they are laughing as they go. Clearly the assault was more a case of getting under Scott's skin ahead of the Pay Per View, rather than actually attacking Rick. Either way Scott makes the save and the KLiQ....lead by Shawn Michaels....laugh all the way to the back, while Scotty stands over his brother, hurling threats and insults at the pack of wolves. Rick finally starts to stir and Scott walks over to the timekeeper, shouting at him loudly enough for the cameras to pick up to "gimme a f#####g mic" (which Vince apologises for, saying that emotions are clearly running high tonight) Steiner does indeed get handed a mic, and goes on to shout at the KLiQ that they have been getting on his nerves for months.....but now, they're really p#####g him off.....they stole the tag titles, they've attacked people all over the place....."and now, they wanna jump my brother just because he's my brother.....Shawn Michaels.....you think you're big and bad because you hide behind your friends, dancing around like some skinny little stripper.....well at King of the Ring, I'm gonna show you why even this vein in my arm is tougher than you, when I break you in half."

Wonderful stuff there as always from Mr. Steiner, who throws the microphone down in rage, while Lawler remarks on commentary, that the KLiQ may have woken a sleeping beast.

Rating: A

Quote:

VS.

It's time for David vs. Goliath here, as Rey Mysterio has the unenviable task of facing off against the mammoth Psycho Sid. Rey bounces around like a little Mexican jumping bean, and does manage to embarrass Sid on a number of occasions....eventually though all the speed in the world isn't enough, especially when Sid catches a big cross body attempt from the top rope.....lifts Rey high in the air, Gorilla Press position.....and launches him all the way from the ring, over the top rope and into the crowd in a phenomenal display of strength. Rey shows an incredible never say die attitude, managing to drag himself back into the ring by the nine count.....he probably should have stayed in the crowd.....because one Powerbomb and three seconds later, this one was over.

Winner: Psycho Sid

Quote:

The usual display of fire erupting from the corner posts, signals the arrival of Kane....along with Jim Cornette and Mankind. The trio head to the ring, where Cornette collects a microphone, telling the crowd that surprise, surprise, the Undertaker is still nowhere to be seen. Jimmy says that enough is enough.....they have given the Deadman all the time in the world to return and face his own personal demon, Kane.....and time after time the Undertaker lets them down.....but then that's nothing new for Kane...because the Undertaker has been letting him down all his life. McMahon questions on commentary what that could possibly mean....but he doesn't have to wait long to find out....because Cornette tells us.

(We all know the story of Kane here right? Baby brother, house burned down, family killed, Kane presumed dead, Undertaker blamed yadda, yadda, yadda.....well to save me some writing and you some reading, that's pretty much what Cornette told the stunned crowd.....with the exception of Paul Bearer being Kane's Daddy....because in this story he ain't.

Cornette says that he found Kane living rough like an animal in the grounds of the nursing home that Mamma Cornette was moved to after she became "difficult." Hiding away in the dark, sleeping under the stars, avoiding all human contact because he was ashamed of his hideously burned face and scarred body. Kane survived on the scraps of food that he used to scavenge from the trash every evening...survived where other men wouldn't.....because that's what he's had to do all his life.....survive.

He tells the Undertaker that shame is what's keeping him away from the WWF.....shame and humiliation.....but now the world knows his dirty little secret.....and sooner or later, he's going to have to pay for his misdoings....but until then, the entire WWF will have to pay for him.....starting with Scott Hall and Kevin Nash.....because if they can't have the Undertaker, they will have to make do with the Tag Team Championships......

.......not ones to be out done.....and certainly not ones to be intimidated, The Legion of Doom, Hawk and Animal walk out on the stage....they tell Cornette that if they want to make someone pay, then why don't they start with the meanest dogs in the pound.....because if they think they are getting those tag team titles before the L.o.D then they're even stupider than they are ugly.....and they're pretty damn ugly. Fortunately security are out before things get too heated and manage to keep these two mammoth teams apart, but it's clear that the Legion of Doom are on a collision course with Kane and Mankind.

Quote:

VS.

It's main event time....and it's the Hart Foundation vs the KLiQ. These two men already came to blows at last weeks In Your House event, where they brawled all the way to the back of the arena during the World Title match, so tensions are already high between them. This is a big test for Helmsley, because it's his first real televised main event performance (after repeatedly insisting that he was ready for it since the Royal Rumble) against a man, who while he was a certified main eventer, hadn't exactly been treated as such recently, playing more of a tag team role.....but with Owens recent Championship match and subsequent injury, the Bulldog has been left without a partner.

On top of all that, these two just had awful timing together, nothing they did clicked, I don't know if it was nerves on Helmsley's part after finally getting the push he'd been asking for, or it was just a bad night for both of them, either way this was one of the worst main events of put on in some time, but given the number of King of the Ring matches there were to get through, a dip was inevitable.....luckily it was a good show so this match didn't bomb it.

It also helped that the ending and subsequent post match shenanigans popped the crowd.....because with the Bulldog on the offence, Sean Waltman and Justin Credible made their way down the aisle....presumably to distract the official for Helmsley to pick up a tainted win.....well they succeeded in distracting the official.....they distracted him from the fact that Scott Steiner came diving over the crowd rail, much like Shawn Michaels earlier.....and absolutely destroy Helmsley with that same length of pipe he had earlier, nailing him in the back of the head, and giving Bulldog an easy three count.

Winner: The British Bulldog
Rating: B-

Quote:

As soon as the bell rings Steiner rolls into the ring and delivers another trifecta of hard Pipe shots to Helmsley, while Sunny looks on mortified. Both Waltman and Credible try to get into the action, but both get taken out by the Pipe swinging Steiner too.....Credible takes a shot right between the eyes that busts him open. Seeing their stable mates in trouble, Michaels, Hall and Nash all come running out from the back but by the time they reach the ring Steiner had already bailed into the crowd out of harms way, where he stands six rows back screaming at the top of his lungs that "if you're gonna mess with my family, then I'm gonna take out all of yours."

Michaels and Nash are incensed in the middle of the ring, throwing a major temper tantrum and shouting promises of pain and revenge, while Hall tends to the three other battered KLiQ members. The threats don't bother Steiner, who stands surrounded by an audience that's going wild, holding his pipe high in the air, telling Michaels that his ass AND his title belong to him, as the show goes off the air.

Rating: A*

Final Rating: B+

Last edited by to4sty : 06-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.