View Single Post
Unread 07-04-2017, 06:42 AM
Major League

Week 3, July 1996
El Generico Centre, Hawaii
ATT: 9,500
TV: 15.86

Quote:

It's Monday night and we are six days away from In Your House and the huge WWF Title triple threat match between reigning WWF Champion Shawn Michaels, the 1996 WWF King of the Ring, Stone Cold Steve Austin....and some would say the Uncrowned WWF Champion, Scott Steiner.....who earned that shot under rather dubious circumstances, thanks to the surprising assistance of Psycho Sid....leaving more questions than answers......

......although it seems as though certain people would like those questions answered....because the Hart Foundation are here and they don't look happy. They climb into the ring as one.....and Bret takes a microphone to convey his feelings to the live crowd. He tells them that last week, it seems like Karma came back to bite him.....because even though he unintentionally cost Scott Steiner a shot at the WWF Title two weeks ago on Raw.....he himself also lost out on a shot at the WWF Championship at Summerslam through no fault of his own......

"......but what I have to wonder is, when Psycho Sid came in here last week.....Powerbombed me.....Powerbombed Davey.....exactly why Rick and Scott Steiner stood their and watched with their thumbs up their butts? Yes we were opponents last week, but I still considered us friends....and as far as WE go, the Hart Foundation would NOT have stood by and watched, if that big monster hand been attacking YOU....."

Bret pauses for a moment, before questioning what exactly Ted DiBiase was proposing to them last week...."did you really not know that Sid was going to stick his nose in the match last week?.........or is DiBiase right......and everybody really does have a price for the Million Dollar Man?........."

.......ohh, the Steiners didn't like that comment....because they come marching down to the ring with purpose.....and microphones.....obviously the microphones.....they join the Hart Foundation inside the squared circle and Scott Steiner (who has developed quite the temper as of late) immediately begins shouting at Bret, asking him exactly what he's insinuating? Never afraid to provoke a savage beast, Bret tells Scott that he's not insinuating anything....he's outright asking whether or not he and his brother have sold out to the Million Dollar Corporation?

Mild mannered Scott screams that he and his brother have never sold out to nobody....ever.....and they're not about to start now. They've never needed needed anyone's help to win a fight....."in fact, we'll kick your asses right here, right now....just the two of us, against all three of you......"

......fortunately before it comes to that, WWF President Gorilla Monsoon makes his way down to the ring. He tells the men to calm down, before they do something that they regret...because we are just six days away from In Your House and he wouldn't want to have to suspend anyone now.....

"......and seeing as we are just six days out from the Triple Threat WWF Championship match, tonight each of those three competitors will be competing in singles action....when Steve Austin goes up against The British Bulldog.....WWF Champion Shawn Michaels faces the Dog Faced Gremlin Rick Steiner.......and YOU Scott.....well it seems like yourself and Mr. Hart here have some unfinished business....so tonight, it's going to be the two of you going one on one in the main event."

Hart and Steiner are both happy with that....although Bret is quick to add a little dig in there, telling Steiner to make sure his Corporation Cronies stay in the back this week.....which brings Monsoon onto his second point.....that since Sid interfered last week, it means that currently, the Summerslam title shot is up for grabs.....and since I'm sure that the Hitman will be keen to get his hands on Paycho Sid....the two of you will square off on Sunday at In Your House.....with the winner of that going on to Summerslam, where he will face the WWF Champion....be that Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin or indeed, Scott Steiner.

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

The Bulldog remains in the ring, along with Owen who doesn't have a match tonight, awaiting the arrival of his opponent.....an opponent in Steve Austin that Davey boy hasn't had much luck against recently, with two losses under his belt so far. Luckily when you mesh together as well as these two do, the fans don't get bored of seeing it....and if anything are rooting the Bulldog on to get that allusive victory.

Of course whether he picks up that victory may all depend on the involvement of one Brian Pillman, who joins his partner in crime to the ring. McMahon suggests that Owen might want to keep one eye on the action in the ring and one eye on Pillman "because there's no telling what this man....this loose cannon will do." Surprisingly he does nothing other than stand in Austin's corner, shouting encouragement.....maybe the true loose cannon knows that to do nothing, when everyone is expecting you to do something, is the most bizarre behaviour of all.

As usual these two have an excellent match, with plenty of back and forth action on either side. Austin once again picked up the victory however....after hitting Davey Boy with what's now been christened the Stone Cold Stunner, seemingly out of nowhere.

Winner: Stone Cold Steve Austin
Rating: B

Quote:

Pillman enters the ring with a pair of microphones and stands beside Austin, while Owen helps his Brother in-Law to the outside, before walking him up the aisle, telling Pillman that he'll see him in six days. Stone Cold looks on at his beaten foe, telling Owen to....

".....get that piece of trash out of my ring and take his sorry ass to the back, because the next WWF Champion has got something to say....Scott Steiner, Shawn Michaels, let me make myself crystal clear.....in six days time, one of you, two of you, it doesn't matter how many of you....because your ass belongs to Stone Cold Steve Austin. I beat thirty one other men to walk away as the 1996 King of the Ring winner....I beat thirty one other men to EARN my WWF Title shot.....I didn't get handed opportunity after opportunity after opportunity like Scott Steiner and I don't need an army of jackasses to back me up like Shawn Michaels....on Sunday night, the whole world is going to find out, exactly what Steve Austin is all about....."

Pillman says that while Steve Austin is laying waste to Shawn Michaels and Scott Steiner....."the Loose Cannon, is going to be carving his name into the Heart of the Foundation, when I take baby brother Owen.....and sacrifice him at the alter....of Brian F'n Pillman.....because Sunday night, when the King of the Ring is off claiming his prize, the Prince of Pandemonium will play.....and I don't play well with others."

Pillman drops the microphone laughing, before Austin finishes with "but Sunday is Sunday and tonight is tonight......and tonight, I'm gonna give Shawn Michaels and Scott Steiner a little taste of what Stone Cold Steve Austin is all about.....and that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so....

Quote:

VS.

After getting screwed out of a possible victory last week against Justin Bradshaw courtesy of Jesse James, young Rocky Maivia looks to pick up an important win against Bradshaw's Texas Long Rider partner, Barry Windham. It's going to be a big ask for the youngster though, because this veteran from Sweetwater, Texas isn't ready to hang up his spurs just yet. These two have a decent little match but again it's marred in controversy.....

......when Justin Bradshaw makes his way down the aisle, just as Maivia is heading to the top rope to connect with a diving cross body. He distracts the official for long enough that Jesse James is able to make it down to ringside and clip Rocky's ankle, crouching the youngster on the top rope and leaving him wide open for a big superplex from Windham for the one, two, three.

Winner: Barry Windham
Rating: C

Quote:

The match is over but the Texas Long Riders aren't finished....and neither is Jesse James. The three men start laying the boots to young Maivia. Rocky fights them off momentarily but it's not long until the numbers overwhelm him and he's in serious trouble......

......at least until the two other Son's of Samoa make their way down the aisle to make the save. They hit the ring and start hammering the Long Riders, while Rocky finally regains his senses and sends James bailing to the floor with a picture perfect dropkick. Bradshaw and Windham soon follow suit in getting knocked to the outside and the three attackers retreat to the back, leaving Maivia, Rikishi and Kokina to celebrate in the ring.

Rating: B-

Quote:

VS.

These six men will all be squaring off at In Your House in three individual matches....and each match has title ramifications, with Helmsley defending the Intercontinental Championship against Mark Mero, Waltman putting the Light Heavyweight Championship on the line against former Champion Chris Jericho.....and Rey Mysterio will battle Justin Credible, for the opportunity to face the winner of Waltman/Jericho at Summerslam.

With that being said there was a lot on the line here, with a win giving one team all the confidence going into the Pay Per View. Both Jericho and Credible have both come a long way since the start of the year, going from relative nobodies to solid midcarders, while Helmsley and Waltman are both now treading water just below the main event. Young Rey Mysterio will be looking at all of this progress and hoping to replicate it.......tonight will go a long way towards helping him do that, especially considering the way the match ended......

.......because these two ladies eventually found themselves rolling around on the floor on the outside, cat fight style, after Sable had once again dragged Sunny down off the apron. With Mero and Helmsley out trying to separate the two women, Jericho manages to hit Waltman with a lionsault, which Mysterio follows up with a big springboard splash for the three count......Rey Mysterio just pinned the Light Heavyweight Champion!

Winner(s): Chris Jericho, Marc Mero and Rey Mysterio

Quote:

Following that stunning victory we have a quick commercial break and on our return we have the Million Dollar Man standing in the ring, along side Psycho Sid. DiBiase says that he's glad to see that Gorilla Monsoon has finally had a good idea around here, that being booking Bret Hart to face his client Sid at In Your House, with the winner going on to main event Summerslam and fight for the WWF Championship....

".....Hitman, if you think last week was bad, just wait until Sunday....because the pain that this man put you through last week, is nothing compared to the beating that he's going to give you at In Your House......and speaking of In Your House, Scott Steiner....you've still got my number....do yourself a favour and make THE most important call of your life....because with the right backing, I can GUARANTEE that it'll be you who walks into Summerslam as the WWF Champion....believe me when I say that there's nothing that money can't buy, you just need a lot....and nobody has more than the Million Dollar Man..."

With that DiBiase leaves the ring and joins McMahon, Ross and Lawler on the commentary table, while Big Sid looms over him at his side.

Quote:

VS.

McMahon questions DiBiase's reasons for remaining at ringside but he assures us that he's not here for any reason other than to watch the match and to ensure that any possible future investments aren't damaged by outside forces, such as those no good dirty Harts. Jim Ross suggests that he may in fact be here in order to attempt to influence the result of the contest, but DiBiase says that he has no such intentions....."besides, until such time as the Steiner Brothers decide to accept my generous offer and join the ranks of the corporation, then financially it just doesn't pay for me to influence anyone's career other than Sid's.....and you don't become a Millionaire by doing things for free Jim Ross."

Rick Steiner hasn't had much of a chance to shine recently, what with his brother venturing into singles action for the last month or so, which means a one on one match with the WWF Champion gives him the chance to show what he can do....and what he can do, is take Shawn Michaels right to the limit. Much like his brother at the King of the Ring, Steiner tosses the Champ around the ring with power and precision, but in the end he wasn't able to replicate Scott's success.....although in the end it was a stupid mistake that beat him. He caught Michaels with a big German suplex, holding on and bridging up for the pin attempt.....unfortunately Ricks shoulders were on the mat too...and the Champ got HIS shoulder up at the last microsecond.....Rick Steiner essentially pinned himself.

Winner: Shawn Michaels

Quote:

Michaels is celebrating his victory while Steiner argues the decision with the official. Suddenly like a flash Stone Cold Steve Austin flys out of the crowd and into the ring where he kicks Michaels in the gut, before delivering a Stunner to the WWF Champion, then pouncing on him with a flurry of stomps......

......which brings Sean Waltman and Justin Credible running down the aisle. Meanwhile The Million Dollar Man has instructed Sid to "make sure nothing happens to Steiner" and the big man pulls the Dog Faced Gremlin to the floor, where he stands tall in front of a bewildered looking Rick Steiner. Credible and Waltman are oblivious to this, because they're there to save the leader of the KLiQ, nothing more, nothing less......unfortunately they both get met with the same result as Michaels.....kick, Stunner......kick, Stunner......and then bail back into the crowd.....

.....as Hall, Nash and Triple H make their way out. The KLiQ help a furious Shawn Michaels back to his feet and the WWF Champion is irate that he was embarrassed in front of the wrestling world. He's screaming at Austin that he's "A DEAD MAN.....YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'VE DONE".....Stone Cold could clearly care less, as he throws up a pair of middle fingers at the KLiQ, before walking away laughing while Michaels seethes in the ring.

Quote:

We need a little break after that, so we head off to commercial. We come back to find Chris Jericho sat alone in a locker room, watching a replay of Sean Waltman defeating him for the WWF Light Heavyweight Championship back in April. He's clearly studying his opponent, ready to try and regain the title that was essentially stolen from him by the KLiQ.....unfortunately that means he doesn't see this man arrive.....

.......and he's wielding a steel chair which he smashes over the back of an unsuspecting Jericho. Goldust drops to a crouched position, before whispering into Lionhearts ear that ".....nobody puts baby in a corner.....Dirty Dancing, 1987......because that's what you're doing Chris.....how can you move on to a new dance partner when they're still playing our song? Forget about Waltman.....forget about the Title.....but one thing you should never EVER forget.....is the name....(deep breath)......Goldustttttttt"

Quote:

VS.

It's a rare Raw sighting for Savio Vega here, who's really fallen of the map in recent months....that that he's been losing regularly, he's still been picking up victories on Superstars and dark matches against some of the lesser known "local" workers....he's just not had a great deal to do since his feud with the Nation of Domination came to an end. Billy Gunn on the other hand has received plenty of screen time as of late.....especially since pairing up with Mr. Perfect. The two of them really work well with each other and hopefully Gunn will be able to pick up a few pointers on the mic from his Executive Consultant, because that's the one piece of the puzzle that Billy is missing.....for now.

As far as the match goes, it was decent....as decent as a throwaway match can be anyway.....but with one eye on Summerslam and a potential showdown with his former partner Bart.....Gunn was able to put Savio away for the three count after nailing him with the Famouser.

Winner: Billy Gunn

Quote:

We go to the back now, where Dok Hendrix is standing by with Al Snow.....who IS accompanied by Head, but conspicuous by his absence is Al's partner in their WWF Tag Title match up just six days from now. Dok obviously questions this, but Al doesn't have much of an answer for him....he says he doesn't know where DeMott is.....

".......I've been calling him all week, he doesn't pick up.....Head's been calling him, he's been ignoring her calls.....I even went to his house, but no one was home......I just hope nothing's happened to him, he obviously lives in a rough neighbourhood, because as I was leaving, the cops pulled me over and told me that their had been reports of a crazy person snooping around, talking to some random object that they were carrying around with them.....there's some strange people out there Dok....."

"and you never saw this.....person?"

"......I didn't see a soul.....(lifts up Head)...did you?.......no she saw nothing either......scary stuff eh?"

Dok says that it sounds terrifying....although not as terrifying as the prospect of having to face Scott Hall and Kevin Nash without a partner, even if they do both have one hand tied behind their backs. Snow waves the suggestion off though, saying that Bill will be there on Sunday, Al has no doubt about it....and when the night is over, they're going to be crowned the NEW World Wrestling Federation Tag Team Champions.

Quote:

Next up we have pre-recorded comments from Jim Cornette and his unorthodox clients Kane and Mankind....well comments from Cornette and Mankind anyway, Kane just stands there looking menacing. The Louisiana Lip informs us that at In Your House, Mankind and Kane are finally going to put an end to the irritation that is the Legion of Doom....then they are going to focus all of their attention....and all of their wrath on the Undertaker....."that's IF he ever shows his face around here again."

Mankind lets out a horrible squeal, before adding his two cents....."As I was going up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there! He wasn't there again today, Oh how I wish he'd go away!.....Undertaker, all the smoke and mirrors and parlour tricks in the world, don't take away from the fact that it's been months and months since since anyone saw you....ever since you were decimated by your brother and the world learned of your dark past, you simply haven't been there....Undertaker, we don't intimidate and we don't scare....there are scarier things in the world than the wrath of the Deadman....and we have lived through it all.....come for us Undertaker.....reign down your vengeance....because the glorious truth is out and the entire world now knows what you are truly capable of."

Quote:

Back to live action and we are in the locker room of the KLiQ, where an irate Shawn Michaels is putting his entire group to task. He tells them that the KLiQ are supposed to be THE elite group around here....and they are letting him down and embarrassing him. He rips into Hunter, Waltman and Credible for losing their match tonight....and the group as one for allowing Steve Austin to place his hands on the champ......

"......we had this bulls##t last month with Steiner....and now you're going to let a johnny come lately scrub like Steve Austin embarrass us on live TV? Well enough is enough.....In Your House is in six days time and you'd better hope to god that we walk out of Sunday night with all the titles still in KLiQ hands......as for Steve Austin.....I want his head and I want it tonight....no excuses, no mistakes, nothing.....bring me Austin.....NOW!...."

Quote:

VS.

It's main event time.....and this one is set to be a tension filled bout, as these two former allies go one on one. There are trust issues on both sides, as Steiner believes that Hart intentionally tried to screw him out of a WWF Title shot, while the Hitman is accusing Scott and his brother of selling out to the Million Dollar Man....regardless of who (if any) is right, it's made for some serious bad blood in a very short amount of time.

Scott Steiner has been churning out some seriously impressive displays as of late, often outperforming everyone around him....including last week when he put in the performance of the night, even out shining the Excellence of Execution himself, which is no small feat. Tonight both men are clearly at their best....and it shows in the performance that they put on. It's a hard hitting affair, because despite these two men's technical abilities, flared tempers get the better of both competitors.....and the ending doesn't do anything to dispel Bret's suspicions about Scott Steiner's allegiance.....because with both men laying into each other, Ted DiBiase and Psycho Sid re-emerge at ringside....and as the Million Dollar Man ensures that he has the attention of the official, Big Sid enters the ring, where much like last week he lays Hart out with a stiff Powerbomb. Steiner doesn't help Sid, but he doesn't exactly rush to stop him either.....and although somewhat reluctantly, he does still capitalise on the assault, as he covers the Hitman for the three count.

Winner: Scott Steiner

Quote:

While Steiner didn't move to stop Sid from aiding him in victory, he doesn't look so willing to stand by and watch as Sid continues the assault after the bell......and despite DiBiase's attempt to talk him out of it, it does look as though Steiner is about to lay a beating on the big man.....at least until.....

.......Steve Austin once again comes out of the crowd and blindsides Steiner with a Stunner reminiscent of the one Shawn Michaels received earlier, before he commences to beat down on the man who will be sharing in his title opportunity come Sunday, while Sid continues to punish the Hitman.....

.....which brings out Owen Hart, the British Bulldog and Rick Steiner to try and thwart the onslaught.....Owen soon finds himself otherwise occupied however, as Brian Pillman soon joins the fray and goes straight for the King of Harts......

......and considering that Shawn Michaels had demanded the head of Steve Austin be served up to him on a silver platter, was it ever going to be a surprise when the KLiQ turned up? All six men came running down the aisle and we have absolute carnage. The Hart Foundation, Rick Steiner, Brian Pillman and the KLiQ are battling it out on the floor, leaving Michaels, Steiner and Austin to go at it in the ring. Waltman and Credible break away from the chaos on the floor to slide into the ring, presumably to help their leader, but they are met with a Stone Cold Stunner and a overhead belly to belly respectively, before Austin and Steiner resume their three way brawl with Michaels as the show fades to black

Final Rating: B