View Single Post
Unread 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Major League

Week 4, August 1996
Rosemont Horizon
ATT: 20,000
TV: 16.55

Quote:

We are one night removed from Summerslam, which means the usual post pay per view recap to open the show.....buy the encore presentation folks....buy it.....buy it now.....or rather buy it Tuesday, because that's when it's available. The commentators begin to run down the events from last night, but they have barely finished welcoming us to the show before they are rudely interrupted....

.......as the KLiQ make their way out from the back. They're missing a few pounds of gold though....and that cocky swagger of theirs has been replaced by a look of angry determination. The group enters the ring and Michaels takes a moment to look each KLiQ member up and down for a moment, before retrieving a microphone......

".....there's a saying in this business.....you might have heard of it.....it goes, 'to be THE man, you have to beat THE man'....(cue the obligatory Woooooo from the crowd....Vince can't be happy with that).....and to be THE man, you need the Gold to back it up.....the WWF Tag Team Titles mean that you're the best team going today.....holding the Light Heavyweight Championships means that you're the best that the division has to offer.....and the Intercontinental Championship? The Intercontinental Title means that you're the best of all the rest.....but when you are the World Wrestling Federation Champion, it means that you're at the very top of the mountain.....THE best that the business has to offer.....when you're the World Wrestling Federation Champion, you can truly say without a shadow of a doubt, that you...are....the MAN.

Last night, I came out here and proved to the world
....(Shawn pauses to look at the men surrounding him).....unlike some people around here.....that I am exactly what I say I am.....that's better than the best there is, better than the best there was....and a hell of a lot better than the best there ever will be....I am the Showstopper.....the Icon.....the Main Event.....I am the World Wrestling Federation Champion.....and that's not changing anytime soon....."

Shawn pauses for a moment to unhook the WWF Championship from around his waist, before laying it out on the mat in front of him.....

".....to take this title from me, you're going to have to pry it from my cold dead hands, and believe me, there's not a wrestler in the back that can do it....."

Shawn turns to the rest of the KLiQ, telling them that last night, they all let the group down, but more importantly, they let Shawn Michaels down....and tonight, they need to make amends for their failures.....

"......because people seem to be forgetting who holds the power around here. We've been pushing folks around for so long, that we seem to have forgotten what it was like when they pushed back....we got complacent....we got soft.....the KLiQ was formed to become the most elite group in professional wrestling history....(Shawn picks the World Title up and drapes it over his shoulder)....as you can see, I'm living up to my end of the bargain....it's time that you did the same.....it's time to show EVERYONE.....why the KLiQ.....OWNS this business

Michaels hands the microphone to Nash, who....along with the rest of the group.....have a fired up look of determination on his face....clearly the pep talk worked. Each member vows to avenge their loss from the previous night.....with the added promise from Nash, that every single one of those idiots that tried to band together against the KLiQ, is going to pay the price.

Rating: A*

Quote:

VS.

The British Bulldog wastes no time in putting his newly won Intercontinental Championship on the line here tonight....as he defends the Gold against Nation of Domination member Kama. With Bret Hart losing to Shawn Michaels last night, and Owen tasting defeat at the hands of Faarooq, Davey Boy was the only Hart Foundation member to have a winning night. Kama will be looking to follow in the footsteps of his leader, with a victory over the the Hart Clan.

Davey Boy has only been Champion overnight however, and isn't going to give his first singles title in four years up without a fight.....as Kama finds out to his detriment, when the Bulldog puts him away with that running Powerslam.

Winner: .....and Still WWF Intercontinental Champion, The British Bulldog.
Rating: B-

Quote:

Davey Boy climbs the second rope in celebration, with the Intercontinental Championship held high overhead. When he jumps down and turns around however, he's met by the sight of the entire Nation of Domination. Bulldog readies himself for a fight, but Faarooq shakes it off, telling him that they aren't here to beat his ass down......

"......but I am here to offer your ass a beatdown.....see what you hold in your hand there, that Intercontinental Title....it belongs to me.....no one beat me for it, nobody pinned my shoulders to the mat.....and you can be damned sure that no one made me submit. The way I see it, beating your Brother In-Law last night, that puts me first in line for a shot at that belt.....now you can do the smart thing, and agree to the match.....or me and my brothers here, we can MAKE you agree to the match.....the choice is yours...."

Bulldog says that the choice is simple, he's the Intercontinental Champion.....and he's going to be a fighting Champion.....if Faarooq wants a shot at the Gold then he's got it.....at In Your House.

Rating: A

Quote:

We cut away quickly there, to the back, where Vince McMahon informs us that there is a situation unfolding......the situation in question is the KLiQ, beating the holy hell out of Marc Mero in the catering area, while Sunny has Sable down on her knees, with handfuls of Sable's hair gripping her head in place, forcing her to watch her man take his beating.

And it is quite the beating. A five on one assault, while the Heartbreak Kid looks on in the background, working his way through a bowl of chicken wings as the action unfolds. Once Mero has taken as much as he can take, Nash delivers the killing blow, picking Marc up with a Jacknife and Powerbombing him through a table loaded with pastry's.

Michaels places the bowl of chicken down and uses a napkin to clean up his hands, making sure to dab at his mouth, before walking over to Mero and picking his head up off the floor by the hair. He leans down, whispering in Mero's ear that he should feel honoured....."you're the first......you won't be the last"....before dropping Marc's head and stamping on the back of his skull as the KLiQ walk off laughing to themselves. Sable rushes over to check on her man, but flinches back to her feet as these two walk in to shot.....

Quote:

.......Billy Gunn and Mr. Perfect, fresh off Gunns victory over his brother last night. The pair look down at Mero for a moment before bursting out laughing. Gunn tells Sable to stop wasting her time on a scrub like Mero....if she wants a real man, she knows where to find him. Gunn swats her on her ass and Sable instantly slaps him across the face. Perfect finds that hilarious, telling her "that's ok honey, he likes a woman that plays hard to get" as the pair leave....although Gunns cheek is decisively redder than it was when he arrived.

Quote:

VS.

Oh dear.....poor Savio Vega was like a lamb to the slaughter here. He tried, he really did, but he was outmatched and outmuscled from the opening bell to the closing bell.....before Kane finally put him down for good with a Tombstone Piledriver.

Winner: Kane
Rating: B

Quote:

Jim Cornette and Mankind join Kane in the ring....Cornette has a microphone, and as usual he isn't shy to use it. He tells the Undertaker that last night, he had the audacity to place his cold dead hands on the Louisville Lip.....and he's lucky that Jim Cornette isn't suing him for every casket and every bite of embalming fluid that he owns.....instead, what he's going to do is give The Undertaker a gift.......and it's the gift he's been waiting for.......

".......because it's a very specific gift, tailored especially for you....the gift is a date in 1976.....November the fifteenth 1976 to be precise.....because that was the date, that life as Kane knew it ended.....that was the date that you murdered his parents and left him to burn alive in the fire that YOU started.....obviously you know this....you were there after all....."

Cornette says that he told the Deadman that Kane would fight him in his own on his own terms....and when he saw fit.....and they can think of no better time, than the twenty year anniversary of his parents death.....and no better event to do it, than at Survivor Series......"because that's what Kane has been doing his whole life......Surviving"

Mankind has been sat on the mat rocking for the entirety of the promo so far, clearly worse for wear at the punishment inflicted on him just 24 hours prior. It's at this point however that he gets to his feet with a microphone of his own. He tries to lift the mic to his mouth, but his damaged hand won't allow him to grip it properly, meaning he has to quickly put it in his other hand. He tells Uncle Jimmy that it's all well and good setting up a match between the brothers for Survivor Series....."but that's nearly three months away....and every time the Undertaker comes down to this ring to get his paws on Kane....its poor old Mankind that has to suffer.....now a little bit of pain never hurt anyone, but this is a lot of pain Jimmy.....an awful lot of pain.....and three months is an awful long time to be suffering an awful lot of pain....."

Cornette tells him to quit his snivelling....he tells Mankind that he's nothing more than a sideshow geek...a mule to take the punishment for the amusement of these morons in the crowd, hell, seventy years ago he'd be out here biting the heads off chickens just to make a dime. He tells Mankind to have a little more respect for the brains behind the brawn....because if he thinks three months of pain from the Undertaker would be bad, imagine what three months worth of pain from Kane would feel like. Mankind reluctantly backs down, looking like a scolded dog in the process as Kane raises and drops his arms, sending the flames high in the air from the corner posts.

Rating: B

Quote:

We go to the back again, this time Dok Hendrix is with Lionheart Chris Jericho, who tasted defeat at the hands of Goldust last night, thanks indirectly to the distraction caused by the KLiQ, who have taken somewhat of an dislike to young Jericho in recent weeks. Dok asks Jericho about his loss, his subsequent involvement with the KLiQ....and where he plans to go from here. Lionheart responds that he and Goldust aren't finished by a long shot, they'll be meeting again somewhere down the line.....

".......as for the KLiQ and my involvement with them, it's pretty simple Dok. The KLiQ has had free reign to do whatever they want around here for too long. They go around and bully and intimidate one guy at a time, two guys at a time.....but what happens when the bully gets a taste of his own medicine? I just saw the replay of Marc Mero getting jumped earlier tonight....and in typical KLiQ fashion it was six against one, because why fight fair right Dok? So here's what I'm going to do....I have come here tonight to officially challenge Sean Waltman to a rematch for the WWF Light Heavyweight title......"

Dok:".....uhm, Chris.....he lost the Light Heavyweight Title last night.....Rey Mysterio is the Champion now......"

".......really? Huh, imagine that.....I'd have liked to have seen that.....Ok well what about if I call out old Happy Harry Hard-on himself, Triple H.....for a shot at that prestigious Intercontinental Championship?"

Dok:".....well, again.....he lost the Intercontinental Championship last night.....The British Bulldog has the belt......"

".......oh.....damn, ok.......ok.........I got it......Dok do you know anything about Tag Team wrestling? Because if I can just get a partner..........."

Dok cuts Jericho off there, telling him that he thinks he knows where he's going with this.....and yes, Dok Hendrix knows a thing or two about tag team wrestling....but Hall and Nash are no longer the Tag Team Champions....they lost the belts to Steve Austin and Brian Pillman last night.

".......man, the KLiQ really had a bad night eh? Well I guess there's only one thing left to do....since the horses asses have all lost their belts, I'm just gonna have to challenge the horses head......and that would be you Shawn Michaels......I heard you earlier tonight, saying that there wasn't a wrestler in the back who can take that title from you? In that case you'll have no problem putting it on the line against me?"

Dok asks Jericho if he heard him right....is he actually challenging WWF Champion Shawn Michaels to a WWF Title match? Jericho says that's exactly what he's doing.....the KLiQ have obviously put him on their hit list.....this is just a preemptive strike.

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

It's time for some six man action here tonight, as the KLiQ contingent of Triple H, Sean Waltman and Justin Credible, square off against three of the men presumably on their hit list....because the Son's of Samoa have taken it upon themselves as of late to interject themselves in KLiQ business. For now however the KLiQ find themselves in a fair fight....although quite how any fight where one of the combatants is a near 600lb Island Boy could be classed as fair is anyone's guess.....and Kokina does spend a good portion of the match throwing his ample weight around, much to the despair of the KLiQ....particularly Credible, who is on the receiving end of a brutal looking leg drop from the big men. With Kokina's sheer weight, Rikishi's experience and Maivia's youthful enthusiasm and speed, the Son's of Samoa almost pick up a big victory tonight.....but almost doesn't pay the bills.....doesn't win wrestling matches either....because after the KLiQ triple team Kokina to send him to the floor, then Waltman and Credible drag Rocky to the outside where they double team him, it's left to old foes Rikishi and Triple H.....they've faced each other a number of times.....and this time ends just like those ones did, with Rikishi counting the lights after a Pedigree.

Winner(s): The KLiQ

Quote:

The KLiQ pick up a victory, but there are points to be proved tonight, and out from the back come the former WWF Tag Team Champions Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, to join their brethren. The five men make short work out of beating the snot out of Maivia and Rikishi, with a Powerbomb to the youngster and a second Pedigree to the veteran.....before the group turn their attention to Kokina, who has pulled himself up onto the apron, looking to help his family. 'kina manages to hold his own for a moment against the onslaught, swinging meaty fists and rock hard headbutts....but finally he's overwhelmed, and while still stood on the apron, Nash climbs to the outside, leans back and ducks through Kokina's legs......surely he can't be looking to Powebomb almost 600lbs?

He is looking to......he can't do it though.....can't even get the big man a millimetre off the apron. So instead he re-enters the ring, uses his hands to take aim at the Samoan mammoth.....then charges (for Kevin Nash) across the ring and nails Kokina square in the face with a hard Big Boot. Kokina lets go of the ropes and waves his arm in an effort to keep his balance.....it's a losing battle however, and like a falling redwood the huge man topples backwards, where he explodes through the Spanish Announce table with a huge thud, that sends splintered wood flying everywhere......put a fork in the big man, because he is done.

Quote:

The Son's of Samoa have been utterly decimated....but their night goes from bad to worse, because while medical personnel tend to the beached whale that is Kokina, the Texas Long Riders make their way down the aisle, along with Jessie James. The three men pass the shattered remains of the announce table and are practically rubbing their hands together in glee at the sight of a prone Rikishi and Maivia prone on the mat and ripe for the picking.

The commentary team point out that this is a night when the KLiQ should have been at their most vulnerable, and if the WWF locker room had banded together, their reign of terror could possibly have been bought to an end, but with Billy Gunn taking advantage of a fallen Mero earlier, and now these three looking to do the same to the Sons of Samoa, the KLiQ's actions are inadvertently being justified.

Windham, Bradshaw and James could care less though, all they see is a chance to get one over on the Son's.....and after Maivia takes a Pumphandle Slam from James, and Rikishi eats a huge Lariat that turns him inside out, that's exactly what happens.

Quote:

We go to commercial while the medical staff continue to tend to the Son's, and when we return the ring has been cleared out of Samoan's to make room for some Canadians, as Bret and Owen Hart make their way down the aisle. Neither man has a smile on his face however, in fact if anything they look quite somber as they climb inside the squared circle. Bret pauses for a moment to acknowledge the ovation from the crowd, before holding his hand up to quieten them down and beginning to speak.

He starts off by saying that he would like to apologise.....apologise to the fans in attendance, everyone watching at home....and especially to the boys in the back....for not completing a clean sweet last night and snatching the WWF Championship away from Shawn Michaels and the KLiQ. He says that he has no excuses, no complaints....Michaels came down to this ring, fought him man to man, one on one.....and as much as it pains him to say so, last night the better man won.....and right now, he doesn't know how to process that.....

"......you know, I've always said that I'm the best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be.....and to me, that's more than just a catchphrase....it's something I've always believed. There aren't many men that can say they stepped between these ropes with Bret Hart and pinned his shoulders to the mat cleanly with no questions asked.....Owen is one, Davey is another.....and now, as much as it pains me to say it....you can add Shawn Michaels to that list...."

Bret goes on to say that right now he's at a crossroads, and he's not entirely sure what the future holds for him. He says that wrestling has changed over the years....he says that people used to cheer the Heroes and boo the Villains, but lately it seems like the Villains are being cheered more than they're being booed, along with the bad language and obscene gestures that they bring with it. Bret says that the World Wrestling Federation used to be a family friendly show that he was proud to show to his children......"now, I can't even let them watch in case someone flips them the bird....or tells them to suck it......'suck it'....try explaining that to an eight year old...."

He says that tonight he has a match with Brian Pillman booked in the main event.....and he'll honour that commitment....but after that.....(Bret hesitates to finish the sentence, he looks to be quite conflicted).....after that, maybe it's time for this old sentimental to hang up his boots for good. The crowd don't like the sound of that, and let Bret know that they don't want to see him go.....that's when......

..........!!!GLASS SHATTERS!!!..........

......the new WWF Tag Team Champions, Steve Austin and Brian Pillman make their way to the ring. They climb into the squared circle with the Harts and each lay their title over their shoulders before Austin begins to speak.....He tells Hart to quit his bellyaching about losing to Shawn Michaels.....

"......what, you're gonna lose one match, take your ball and go home? Is that it? Well maybe that's for the best son, because you clearly ain't got it anymore......you can make all the excuses in the world about obscene gestures and bad language, but the fact of the matter is that none of that matters....you're running back home to Calgary and your momma's apron strings, because you know, I know, and everyone else knows, that Bret Hart is a shadow of his former self.....and here's some obscene gestures for ya....."

Austin flips Hart the double bird while Pillman hops up and down, wide eyes and frothing at the mouth with mad glee.

"......so it goes like this son, you go back there, put on your pretty pink tights and your girly pink vest.......and at the back of those tights where it says the word 'Hitman'.....go ahead and paint a big letter S in front of that, and you've got my exact opinion of you.....then when you've done all that, limp your broken old ass down that aisle, climb into this ring.....get your ass whipped by Brian Pillman, then you can go back to Canada and start a Moose S##t collection for all I care, because that's all you'll be good for......"

Bret goes to respond, but Owen stops him, taking the microphone for himself. He says that Bret might be doubting himself right now, but Owen doesn't doubt him for a second.....he knows that whether Bret won, lost, or drew last night, that he's still the best there is.....the best there was......and the best there ever will be.....I know that the Hitman still has plenty of gas left in the tank.....and because of that, when Bret comes out here later tonight.....and makes Brian Pillman submit to the Sharpshooter.......it would be Owens honour and dream, to team up with his brother......and take those tag team titles away from you two idiots. Apparently Bret likes the sound of that too, telling Owen that he would be privileged to hold those Tag Team Titles with him. Austin tells them to quit the sentimental crap, because there's no way in hell that Bret Hart is beating Brian Pillman......but if he does, then they can have their shot, because Austin would love to whip Brets ass one last time.

Quote:

VS.

This looks like a throwaway match on paper, but in reality it's a throwback to a feud that was never really concluded. Ahmed Johnson and Goldust were slap bang in the middle of a war over the then Intercontinental Champion, Goldust's Title, when the Bizarre One was struck down with injury that cut the rivalry short. It's a shame that these two never managed to mix it up at Wrestlemania as planned, because they put on a hell of a match here (mainly thanks to Goldust's excellent showing) and could have pulled four and a half to five stars out of the bag had they had five minutes or so longer.

As it was they had a fifteen minute battle that blew the roof off the place. Ahmed has been on a bit of a roll recently, and Goldust is fresh off a victory over Chris Jericho last night, so both men are hot. It was Ahmed who came out on top tonight however, finally getting a win over the Gold One after laying him out with the Pearl River Plunge.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson

Quote:

Ahmed is celebrating another victory, when once again tonight the wolves descend on the ring. The KLiQ pounce en mass on the muscle man, and despite his strength, Ahmed is soon overwhelmed. He's finally laid out by Scott Hall, who drives Johnson hard into the mat with the Razors Edge. The Bad Guy then pulls out a can of spray paint and tags Ahmed with the 'KLiQ' mark.....with the tail end of the 'K' beginning on Ahmed's exposed buttock....because as usual he's chewing on his tights.

Quote:

While they scrape Ahmed Johnson up off the mat we head backstage, where Dok Hendrix is standing by with the Steiner Brothers. Dok talks briefly about the fact that Scott Steiner was on the verge of winning the WWF Tag Team Titles for the fourth time, when Psycho Sid decided to interfere in the match, costing them the victory. Dok says that it appears as though the Million Dollar Man does not take rejection well. Scott snatches the microphone and screams that he and his brother, don't take people sticking their noses where they don't belong well either.....and as far as Scott Steiner is concerned, Psycho Sid is a dead man walking. He says that the KLiQ were number one on the Steiner's ass kicking list, but Sid has just granted them a reprieve.....because Scotty is officially challenging him to a match at In Your House.....

".......AND YOU' RE GONNA NEED ALL OF TED DIBIASE'S MONEY, TO PAY FOR THE RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY......BECAUSE AT IN YOUR HOUSE, I'M GONNA BREAK YOUR FACE, WHILE MR MONEY BAGS WATCHES ON AS I PUT AN END TO HIS INVESTMENT FOR GOOD...."

Quote:

VS.

Back to ringside, where it's time for the main event of the evening.....and the stakes have been raised in this one, with a Bret Hart victory meaning that he and his brother will be granted a Tag Title Shot against the Hollywood Blo......uhm, I mean against Steve Austin and Brian Pillman. Bret might have been doubting himself earlier tonight, but he showed everyone right here that there's plenty of life in the old dog yet, putting on an instant classic with Brian Pillman, who himself hasn't had much chance to showcase what he can actually do before now.

These two actually have plenty of unresolved issues to work through here, will Pillman being the one to cost Bret Hart the King of the Ring Title this year, turning on the former World Champion to side with Stone Cold Steve Austin....and Bret hasn't forgotten that.....and after 20 minutes of gruelling back and forth action, the Hitman was able to put away the Loose Cannon.....who submitted to the Sharpshooter a mere second after it was applied......not because he couldn't take the pain, but because he was saving himself to fight another day.

Winner: Bret Hart
Rating: A

Quote:

Vince McMahon cuts Bret Harts celebration short, telling us to send some camera men to the back, because he's getting word that the KLiQ are in the process of dismantling another victim. We finally cut to a shot of the parking lot, where the KLiQ are stood around a battered Chris Jericho, who is slumped against the side of a car with blood covering most of his face. Michaels is screaming at him that he should have kept his head down and his mouth shut....."you bought this on yourself......send him for a ride Kev...."With that drags the bloody youngster around to the front of the car....positions him for the Jacknife.....and Powerbombs the helpless Lionheart onto the hood of the car, leaving a Chris Jericho shaped dent in the metal. The KLiQ turn and walk away, with Michaels shouting over his shoulder that if Jericho wants a shot at the Gold.....he's got a shot at the Gold.

Final Rating: A