View Single Post
Unread 08-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Major League

Week 2, September 1996
Madison Square Garden
ATT: 20,789
TV: 16.19

Quote:

No time for pleasantries tonight folks, because there aren't many pleasant people in our opening segment. The KLiQ are out in force the second the intro has finished playing, and they are coming in off the back of a rather unsuccessful showing last week.....with Justin Credible, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall all on the losing side of their matches.....and with the WWF Champion Shawn Michaels finding out that Chris Jericho is far from intimidated by the Heartbreak Kid, there was really only Triple H that had a good night....of course whether or not he can continue that trend, all depends on how well he handles Ahmed Johnson tonight.

They tease removing the commentators from their position on the announce table again, but eventually bypass them and enter the ring....and while the King isn't happy to see Justin Credible still sporting his crown, he has bought a replacement with him tonight....after all a King without a crown is no King at all. Michaels takes hold of a microphone and stares at the crowd for a moment, before finally beginning to speak. He tells the crowd that he's a little bit worried.....worried about the mental health of a large number of the so called superstars of the WWF, because for every Bret Hart or Scott Steiner or Steve Austin that he puts in their place, another moron who doesn't learn from others mistakes steps up and takes their place......

"......let me throw this out here, and I'll say it nice and slow, so that even you inbred hicks in the crowd can comprehend what I'm saying.......no one.....and I mean no one.....has got what it takes, to step in this ring with me.....and take this WWF Championship from around my waist.....I don't care if you're the best technical wrestler in the world.....the best brawler in the world......the best high flyer in the world.....a hybrid of all three......rookie, veteran, legend......man, woman or child......I don't care who you are or what you've done.....because I guarantee you this........no matter who you've beat......no matter how many titles you've won.......for however good you THINK you are..........the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels is BETTER..........I don't call myself the Showstopper because it's a catchy nickname......I call myself the Showstopper, because NOBODY can touch what I can do in this ring.......I proved it against Bret and Owen Hart.....I proved it against Scott Steiner and Steve Austin at the same time.......I proved it against the so called King of Memphis Jerry Lawler......and now I'm going to have to prove it one more time, against a no mark, no talent nobody by the name of Chris Jericho......"

Shawn says that frankly, he finds it an insult that someone who's been in the WWF for no longer than a cup of coffee, has the audacity to call him out.......

".....to challenge me.....the man who proved he's better than the best there is.......Chris Jericho, I don't know who you think you are.......although saying that, not many people DO know who you are......you're a kid, a flash in the pan.......but don't let it be said, that Shawn Michaels doesn't give back.......I'm going to make all your dreams come true.......I'm going to make YOU....right before I break you.....because in less than two weeks time, your name will be known worldwide......as the latest man stupid enough to think that he could hang with the KLiQ.......enjoy your fifteen minutes in the spotlight Kid.....because what the Bad Guy leaves tonight, and believe me that won't be much.....Shawn Michaels is going to finish at In Your House."

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

It's time for the opening match of the evening, and a big test for the man who came into the WWF with a bang, but kind of kind of turned into a damp squib. Marc Mero may have ended the undefeated streak of Hunter Hearst Helmsley, but he's done little else of worth since then.....and tonight he's up against a man who just a few short weeks ago at Summerslam, defeated the current Challenger for the WWF Championship....and that man's name (don't you ever forget it) is Goldust.

In all reality there's no real reason that Marc Mero couldn't be a big name around here. He's got a good look, decent workrate.....a smoking hot blonde on his arm.....all he really needs to do, is start picking up some decent wins......and a victory against Goldust would be a hell of a place to start. He looks to be in with a good shot of doing exactly that as well, because he's only one slap of the mat away from victory on a handful of occasions.....unfortunately however, he couldn't keep his eye on the ball.....

.......and it was because of the arrival of these two gentlemen, who make their way down the aisle and proceed to start pawing Sable. Billy Gunn made it clear a few weeks back that he has his eye on the busty blonde.....just as Sable made it clear (with a slap across the face) that the feeling wasn't mutual. Gunn obviously isn't giving up the chase however, as he's out here tonight.....and is enough of a distraction that Goldust is able to surprise Marc Mero with a quick roll up from behind, while Mero attention is on the new arrivals harassing his woman.....your winner.....Goldust.

Winner: Goldust
Rating: B

Quote:

Mero might have lost this one, but he doesn't seem too concerned.....in fact all he's concerned about right now, is getting Billy Gunn the hell away from Sable, who is currently doing her best to struggle away from his advances. Mero drops the floor and charges for Billy, but Gunn is quick to put himself behind Sable for protection, like the cowardly heel that he is. Mero feigns right, then left, looking for an opening to get at the smirking Gunn, before Billy finally shoves his hostage hard into Mero and bolting up the aisle laughing with Perfect to safety. Marc looks as though he's about to give chase, but decides to stay and comfort his manager instead......shouting promises of revenge for another day.

Quote:

Its time to head to the back, where Dok Hendrix gets to show off his interview skills. His first guests for the evening are the male quartet that make up the Nation of Domination.....well I say guests, it's Faarooq that does all the talking. He talks about bringing the Nation back to the forefront of the WWF....he talks about never being granted his rematch after unfairly losing the Intercontinental Championship.....he talks about the Hart Foundation, and the fact that they get granted break after break, title shot after title shot......

"......and look again, just a few weeks ago Bret Hart was losing in his title shot against Shawn Michaels.....Owen Hart was getting his ass whipped by Faarooq.....and what do they get for losing? ANOTHER chance to bring home the gold......Tag Team Gold this time.......have they ever earned ANYTHING a day in their privileged life's? Where's Kama and Nelson's tag title shot? But then, apparently losing matches is what gets you title shots around here.....because even that little blonde haired b###h Chris Jericho lost at Summerslam......and HE'S going for the World Title......ain't that a thing Dok......when the blonde haired blue eyed white boy LOSER, gets a WWF Title shot......and the brother that WON at the Pay Per View, has to beg for a shot at the Intercontinental Championship that he was never should have lost in the first place......hell, maybe Scorpio should go out there tonight, lay down and let that crackerjack Al Snow beat HIM, maybe that way he'd be next in line against that little Mexican Jumping Bean, Rey Mysterio......"

Faarooq continues, saying that unfortunately, that ain't gonna happen.....because the Nation of Domination are winners.....Scorpio is going to go down to the ring now and beat the crazy out of Al Snow......and Bulldog, enjoy your life of privilege while it lasts.....because at In Your House, Faarooq is taking back what's his.

Quote:

VS.

Scorpio is indeed in action next.....against the confused individual who has been on quite the roll as of late, fighting his way through a trial of attrition to finally reveal that Raven was the mystery thorn in his side....and that man (who is accompanied to the ring by a plastic mannequin head) is Al Snow.....and considering that a lot of Al's opponents recently have been a mystery to him, an opponent he could actually prepare for should be a walk in the park......although saying that, does Al strike you as the sort of person that prepares for anything? No me neither.....

As far as this match goes, it's entertaining if nothing else. Scorpio isn't as flamboyant has he used to be since joining the Nation, but the boy can still fly, and isn't afraid to showboat about it. Al isn't flashy either......and certainly isn't a high flyer.....but he's got the fans on his side with his strange antics, and Head has developed a cult following of her own. Scorpio shows why he was the first WWF Light Heavyweight Champion, and very nearly picks up a victory with a somersault leg drop from the top, but Snow was able to drape a foot over the bottom rope to save the match.

Snow manages to fight his way back into the match however, and Scorpio looks to be in big trouble.....so much so that this would be about the time that you would expect the Nation to come running out.....it's not the Nation that walks down the aisle though.......

......it's four masked men, all kitted out in Raven's masked alter ego, black hats and all. They circle the ring, spreading around to cover an apron each.....and while they don't actually physically get involved in the match, their presence is enough to ensure that Al's already temperamental concentration span, isn't fully focused on the match.....and Scorpio is able to pick up the win following a 360 splash off the top rope.

Winner: Scorpio

Quote:

Scorpio heads to the back with his arm raised in victory, while Al slowly regains his composure in the ring. Snow shakes away the cobwebs, which is when he notices the ominous figures surrounding the squared circle. Al struggles to his feet as the four masked men edge ever closer to the ring, until they finally pull themselves onto the apron as Al stands waiting for the inevitable assault.......it doesn't come however....instead the video screen flickers into life, and the now familiar sight of Raven appears on the screen.....

"......it can be said that wisdom, is really nothing more than the anticipation of consequences....if you choose to set out to cross the desert, you can anticipate that you will be thirsty.....a wise man will pack water, while a fool finds himself lost in a mirage....anticipation can make the high's higher, and the lows lower....because the anticipation of pleasure is a pleasure in itself......while waiting for the bang often inflicts more terror than the bang itself......"

Slowly the four masked men climb between the ropes and edge closer to Snow, who spins in a circle from man to man, ready to fight.

"......right now Al you are surrounded by anticipation.....the anticipation of suspense.....mystery.......the anticipation of pain and suffering.....tell me, what is worse? Waiting for the hammer to drop? Or not knowing if it's going to drop at all?"

With that, just as quickly as everyone arrived, the screen went black and the four masked men turn and exit through the ropes, heading to the back, leaving Al standing alone but suspicious in the middle of the ring.

Rating: A

Quote:

While Al gathers his composure in the ring, we head backstage where Dok Hendrix is standing by with something we don't see very often....and that's an interview with the Texas Long Riders, along with their current partner in crime, Jesse James. It's not a long interview, but it does show one thing that the WWF fans may not have known, Jesse James has got a mouth on him. There's definitely a personality bubbling under the surface there. If he can stay clean then we just might be able to do something with him.

This is your basic hype promo, with these three men being set to meet the Son's of Samoa at In Your House....but the Samoan team are far from 100%, which these three men are happy to take the credit for, even if realistically, it's the KLiQ that dos most of the hard work. Either way, at In Your House, this trio of Outlaws promise to finish what they started, and put the Son's out of action....for good.

Quote:

VS.

It's time for tag team action now, and fresh off the heels of an impressive victory last week against the Dogs of War, the Steiner Brothers look to take out their frustration towards Ted DiBiase and his Million Dollar Corporation, when they go up against his newest acquisitions, the former Godwinns. McMahon tells us however that the Godwinns are no more, because apparently along with their new found wealth, they also discovered new identities....HoG and PiG are no more, instead we have Mark Canterbury and Dennis Knight, Southern Justice.

It's certainly a breath of fresh air for the former Pig Farmers, who have spent the best part of the year wallowing in mediocrity, with no real direction....and they certainly look focused and a lot more comfortable in their new roles. Rick and Scott are still p####d and manage to toss Canterbury and Knight around a bit, but Both of these men are big guys and despite Rick and Scott's early onslaught, they do give the Steiner's a good run for their money......and speaking of money, no body has more than the Million Dollar Man.....which is why when the push comes to shove, he can afford back up like this man......

.......Psycho Sid......who comes walking down the aisle, seemingly unimpressed with his new stable mates, because he screams into the camera on his way down that he is the Master and the Ruler of the World....and he don't need no sheep farmers to help him beat up the Steiner's....(uhm, they were Pig Farmers Sid....it was right there in their names, HoG and PiG)

It doesn't look like Scott needs any help to beat up Psycho Sid either, because the moment he sees him in the aisle, the man with the largest arms in the world drops off the apron and charges at the giant, nailing him with right hand after right hand that drives the so called Master and Ruler of the World back up to the entrance way. Unfortunately this leaves his brother alone in the ring, where Mark Canterbury is able to put him down and out with the inverted DDT. Scott sees this and charges back down the aisle, but he's not quick enough to break up the pinfall, and Southern Justice pick up a big victory on their first try.

Winner(s): Southern Justice

Quote:

Following that impressive victory for Southern Justice, we head to the back, or the top....or below......it's really quite difficult to determine the location, considering how dark the area is.....what we CAN see however is Mankind, who sits crosslegged on a concrete floor and backed by a brick wall, with a labyrinth of pipes surrounding him. He looks directly into the camera for a moment, before finally averting his eyes and beginning to speak.

".....all my life, all I've ever wanted to do was to fit in......to feel accepted.....to be part of something.....anything......but even as a child I knew I was different.....pain never seemed to affect me they way that it did others.....my pain, your pain, it didn't matter....none of it made me feel anything.....and when you're numb to the pains of life, you're also numb to the pleasures that come with it.....I tried to make friends.....I tried to be normal....but no one liked the normal Mankind.....they all wanted the freak.....the attraction.....the man who would throw himself off the roof of his own garage, JUST FOR THEIR AMUSEMENT!!!.....For their amusement and for their approval.....but it never came.....no one ever truly accepts the freaks of the world.........

.......when I first came to the World Wrestling Federation, I knew things would be the same......the same freak that no one likes.....the same attraction that no one wants......but then I met Kane......and Uncle Jimmy......and there I thought I finally found a home......a family.......PEOPLE THAT WOULD FINALLY ACCEPT ME FOR ME!!!.....how wrong I was......even to the freaks of the world I'm still an outcast.....a tool......something for their amusement.....for their suffering.....to be used and picked up and put down at will......to be used to suffer so that they don't have to......well if that's the price I have to pay for a family.....for a home.....then I guess I don't have much choice do I now.......Undertaker, you locked me in your casket once before.....you won't do it again......the casket match might be your baby, but I'm going to show you that when it comes to acts of depravity, I'm the Daddy around here......because if I have to suffer for your sins.....to make your family my family.......then it's not going to be me that's left to Rest in Peace.....it's going to be you Deadman......have a nice day."

With that Mankind commences his rocking, pulling at his hair and making squealing sounds, when all at once he comes to a stop.....and even in the gloom of the darkened room we can see a shadow fall over him, as he looks up at presumably a figure that has entered. Mankind pauses for a moment, before a half smile appears on his face.....it's not a happy smile, more of a smile of acknowledgement, before he tells his visitor that it's "....been a while...."

The camera pans back to reveal the figure of Raven, who stands stoically over Mankind. He pauses for a moment before dropping to his knees in front of the deranged one, telling him that.....

"......it's good to see you Mick......it's been a long time......you know, it's a funny thing.....sometimes a man can travel the world over looking for acceptance....for belonging...........for a family.....when sometimes, all you really have to do.......is come home"

Raven reaches out and places an item on Mankind's lap, before standing up and walking out of shot. Mankind lifts the white item up (which appears to be an old t-shirt) and stares at it, while the camera zooms in onto the object of his attention.....

Quote:

VS.

We go back to the ring now, where it's time for the semi main event of the evening, as we see Ahmed Johnson squaring off against the KLiQ once again, this time in the form of Hunter Hearst Helmsley. Ahmed is currently gunning for Scott Hall, after falling victim to the Razor's Edge a few weeks back on Raw. He got a modicum of revenge last week, teaming with Chris Jericho to defeat Hall and Nash, but how well he will fare against Helmsley is anyone's guess.

Helmsley on the other hand, while he SHOULD be focused on the British Bulldog and regaining the intercontinental Championship, he has recently become sidetracked by the re-emergence of Sunny's former "client" Skip.....whether that was playing on his mind for the duration of this match was anyone's guess, but Helmsley certainly seemed distracted, often looking for attacks from the crowd that simply never came.......whatever the problem was it wound up costing him the match, because after his impressive victory last week, Ahmed put Hunter away here tonight with the Pearl River Plunge, as his quest of vengeance against the KLiQ continued.

Winner: Ahmed Johnson

Quote:

Helmsley might think he's having a bad night now, but it's about to get a whole lot worse.....because out of the crowd, finally that attack comes.....when Skip jumps the barrier and picks a steel chair up on his way into the ring. Sunny is the first to see him, and let's out a scream that prompts Helmsley to turn around......and eat a chair shot, right between the eyes.

Hunter is down and seemingly out, and Sunny drops to her knees (not for the first time I'm sure *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*) to tend to him. Skip grabs a microphone, and because he's not exactly known for his promo ability, cuts right to the chase.....he says first of all, people can stop calling him Skip....Skip died the day Sunny left him for this sorry mess on the mat. He says that his name is Chris Candido, before telling an unconscious Helmsley (who I'm sure will hear this on a replay) that he's right, the day he took Sunny away from him, he took everything.......so if Helmsley wants his career, then he can have that too, because as far as Candido is concerned, he has nothing left to lose........BUT..........since Hunter took the only thing away from him that he ever loved.........then Helmsley has to put the only thing that HE ever loved up too........as well as the only thing Sunny ever loved........

".....so it's pretty simple.......Hunter Hearst Helmsley, vs Chris Candido at In Your House......you win, that's it, I'm gone......out of the WWF forever, leaving you and Sunny to sail off happily into the sunset........but if I win........then YOU are out of the WWF for good.......no more KLiQ for you, no more Triple H, no more Sunny, no more lording it over the little guy.........just Hunter Hearst Helmsley, trying his best not to let the door hit him on the ass on his way out of it.........my career, vs your career......and that money grabbing b###h's meal ticket......let me know if you've got the balls to accept, or whether you keep them in Sunny's purse nowadays......"

With that Candido drops the mic and returns back to the crowd, while Sunny screams after him that he's lost his damn mind.

Quote:

We come back from a commercial break, where Vince McMahon introduces a good old fashioned satellite interview, featuring Bret and Owen from location in Canada, while Steve Austin and Brian Pillman appear to be broadcasting from some dive bar in god knows where. The Harts are surrounded by Wrestling memorabilia, while the Tag Team Champions are surrounded by empty beer glasses.....in fact an empty pitcher is sat upside down on top of one of the Championship belts.

Bret starts the interview, saying that this is a perfect example of what he was talking about a few weeks ago....respect and tradition has been replaced by beer swilling rednecks, who use prestigious Championships as a beer coaster. Hart says that those Titles have been held by some of the greatest tag teams of all time......in fact Bret and Owen have both been proud holders of those Championships on separate occasions.....but come In Your House, they will be able to put the icing on the cake, when the Hart Brothers finally win the gold together.

Austin and Pillman are typically unimpressed.....calling the Bret a dinosaur.....the last of a dying breed.....he says the only thing people give a damn about now, is about who's the baddest son of a bitch in the room.....he says that no one gives a damn about "tradition" and "respect", spitting the words out like they leave a bad taste in his mouth......all people want to see, is people getting their ass whipped, and don't no one whip ass like Stone Cold Steve Austin, and that's the bottom line.

Owen says that it doesn't matter how tough Austin thinks he is, or how crazy Pillman claims to be.....he says at the end of the day, when they climb between those ropes at In Your House, it will be for a wrestling match....not a fight, not some bar room brawl.....a wrestling match.....and no one knows wrestling, like the Hart Family.

Pillman pipes in here, saying no one knows how to bitch and moan like the Hart Family. Pillman says that unless they forgot, he trained in the Dungeon too.......and the only thing he learned from that rat infested dump, was how to take a bump without landing in cat p##s.....he says that people talk about the Dungeon like its sacred ground, and Stu Hart is some mighty deity.....when in reality, the boys have to wrestle the roaches for a dry towel, and Stu Hart is nothing more than an old man, trying his best not to s##t his adult diapers.....

From there things descend into a shouting match (as they often do) with both teams throwing insults and threats at each other. McMahon eventually has to bring the segment to an end, saying that the two teams will be able to do their talking in the ring in less than two weeks time.....things have certainly heated up between these four men.

Quote:

VS.

It's time for the main event of the evening, and a big, big test for young Chris Jericho.....it's his first televised main event, less than two weeks away from his first Pay Per View main event.....and to be fair, he couldn't have a better opponent.....because so long as Scott Hall turns up straight and sober, he is still one of the best workers to lace up his boots.....thankfully tonight he seems to have bypassed the bar on his way to work, because he gives Jericho a hell of a match.

The commentators play up the fact that Hall is keen for revenge against the young upstart who embarrassed him last week, when he pinned his shoulders to the mat clean as a whistle....while Jericho will be looking to capitalise on that victory with another win over the KLiQ, ahead of his shot at their leader Shawn Michaels.....and his WWF Championship. Lawler questions the whereabouts of the rest of the KLiQ, stating that they are usually at ringside to help their guys get the win. It turns out that winning this one was less important than teaching Lionheart a lesson though.....because following a near fall attempt by Jericho we are treated to a split screen shot of the action in the ring....as well as the action in the back, where Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, Sean Waltman and Justin Credible are standing over a fallen Ahmed Johnson. Nash has an aluminium baseball bat in his hand, which he drops to the floor with a metallic clatter.

Back in the ring and Jericho has firmly taken control in this one.....but with Scott Hall locked in the Liontamer, the entire KLiQ (with the exception of Triple H and Sunny) come running down the aisle and into the ring, where Nash breaks the hold up with a big boot.....leaving the official no choice other than to call for the bell.

Winner: Chris Jericho (via Disqualification)

Quote:

Nash continues to pound on Jericho, and the rest of the KLiQ soon join in, leaving Shawn Michaels to look on in the background. He takes the WWF Championship from around his waist and lays it out on the mat in front of him. He orders a stop to the beating, telling Jericho that his prize is right in front of him, all he has to do is take it. Slowly Jericho pushes himself up to all fours and begins to claw his way towards the Heartbreak Kid, and towards the richest prize in the game, the World Wrestling Federation Championship.

He finally reaches his destination and he stares down at the gold plate of the Winged Eagle belt in front of him.....he reaches out and brushes his fingers over the prize for the briefest of seconds......before lunging his body upwards, using the momentum to swinging his fist right between the legs of the Heartbreak Kid. Michaels collapses in pain, clutching his groin.....but if Jericho was in trouble before, he's in even worse trouble now, as the KLiQ immediately pounce on the youngster, again serving him a savage beating while the WWF Champion tries to pull himself back to his feet.

Jericho is pulled to a kneeling position and held in place for the killing blow. Shawn, finally somewhat recovered, begins to tune up the band, but two stomps of the mat into it and he's clutching at his groin again. He's clearly in too much pain to be kicking anyone, and tells Nash to ".....just stick him....." instead. Big Sexy is only too happy to oblige, whipping Lionheart high up in the air, before crashing him back down to the mat with a huge Jacknife....leaving the show to go off the air with the KLiQ once again standing tall.

Final Rating: B+