View Single Post
Unread 10-12-2017, 03:33 PM
Major League

Week 4, November 1996
Kemper Arena
ATT: 16,130
TV: 17.88

Quote:

We are one day removed from one of the most controversial events in WWF history.....and in a change from the norm, we are not treated to still images from last night's Survivor Series.....instead we have a video clip of the closing moments.....which saw Vince McMahon of all people, essentially screwing over Steve Austin......and by proxy, Bret Hart, Owen Hart and Brian Pillman......leaving not only the WWF World and Tag Team Title scene in disarray....but the whole WWF in disarray.....a fact that is emphasised when we go live to the arena, where Jim Ross is the lone voice at the commentary table.....

......he welcomes us to the show, but appears as unsure as to what is happening as the rest of us....emphasised by the fact that he doesn't know if there is going to be a replacement for Jerry Lawler, or where Vince McMahon is......but if he's going to have to go it alone tonight, then he promises the folks at home that he will do his very best.....

.....it looks like the answer to where Vince McMahon is, is about to be answered.....because the man himself is making his way down the aisle.....with a little bit more of swagger than usual. He climbs into the ring to a chorus of boos.....which soon changes to a chant for Steve Austin of all people......followed by a chant of Kevin Nash. Vince tells the crowd that if they want to hear what he has to say, then he suggests that they shut their mouths and listen.....which obviously makes the boo's resonate even louder.....McMahon carries on regardless......first of all he introduces himself.....before telling the crowd that while they know him as the world class lead announcer of Monday Night Raw......he is also the owner and CEO of Titan Sports ".....or in laymans terms for you inbred, redneck hicks in the crowd.....I am the owner of the World Wrestling Federation....."

He tells the crowd that they might be booing him now.....but they SHOULD be thanking him.....because what he did last night he did for all of them.....he says that since Shawn Michaels became WWF Champion, and the KLiQ was born.....business has been booming......ratings are up, attendances are up.....buy rates are up......and as for merchandise sales, you people are buying KLiQ shirts like they are going out of fashion.....which they WOULD have been last night, had he not intervened. He says that understandably there may be a few people upset by his decision, which is why they can chant for Austin, they can chant for Nash.....but both men....along with Bret Hart, Owen Hart and Brian Pillman, have been given the night off to cool down and prevent them from making any costly mistakes. Vince then asks Shawn Michaels and the remaining KLiQ members to join him in the ring.....

.......slowly but surely.....and still looking mighty confused by the events of last nigh, Scott Hall, Sean Waltman and Justin Credible make their way down to the ring......followed finally, as a spotlight follows him all the way down the aisle, by the WWF Champion Shawn Michaels, with the beautiful Sunny on his arm. Michaels climbs into the ring and gives McMahon a huge bear hug, before showing off the WWF Title to the braying crowd. McMahon continues speaking, addressing the KLiQ members directly, telling them that he knows tensions have been frayed within the group recently.....and Shawn, well Shawn's cockiness can be grating at times (to which Michaels acceptingly nods his head at).......

"......but damn it, that's Shawn Michaels.....The Heartbreak Kid....The Showstopper.....The Main Event.....The Reason for the Ratings.....and when you're that good, you're allowed to get a little cocky now and then....."

He tells the Hall, Waltman, Credible...(and indirectly, Nash)....that he has every intention of ensuring that the KLiQ gravy train keeps on running, to keep the money rolling in and the ratings rising up....and Vince McMahon will do everything in his immense power, to ensure that this KLiQ members are properly protected ".......just like I protected Shawn back in June, when that muscle-head Scott Steiner thought for one second that HE would be a suitable Champion for MY company....."

Vince says it was him that told Clarence Mason about the clause in the rule book.....because he wrote the god damn rule book.....and as far as all this bickering and fighting amongst yourselves.....it stops.....NOW......before handing Hall, Waltman, Credible and Sunny a piece of paper each. He tells them that to help smooth things over between the five men (and one woman) he's taken the liberty of drafting new contracts for each of them......and because Shawn Michaels assures me that the way to each of your hearts is not through your stomach, but in fact through your wallets....he thinks they will find their new wage structure acceptable.

The KLiQ men and Sunny open up the contracts and read them over.....before becoming simultaneously wide-eyed at the amount of money specified on the contracts. McMahon says that he trusts that everything is to their liking? Hall and Waltman exchange a look, before shrugging their shoulders and turning to embrace Shawn Michaels with huge smiles on their faces, patting him on the back in a slightly over-exaggerated display of unity. Vince McMahon turns directly to the hard camera to address Kevin Nash, telling him that Vincent K McMahon himself, personally sent a copy of Kevin Nash's new and improved contract to his home via fax.....and to show you just how much I value you, YOU are now the second highest paid Superstar here in the WWF....second only to Shawn Michaels (obviously)....now he has two options.....sign it, graciously accept my offer.....and be back here next week with a handshake for Shawn Michaels........or don't sign it......tear it up.......and go and join your good buddy Hunter Hearst Helmsley in the unemployment line.....because you WILL be fired.

McMahon then informs Jim Ross down on commentary that he won't be joining him tonight, he has important things to take care of backstage.....but not to worry, he won't be alone on commentary....because he has Justin Credibles hand picked replacement for Jerry Lawler.......and here he is......

......Ravishing Rick Rude......

Rating: A

Quote:

VS.

#1 Contenders Match for the WWF Tag Team Championship

Jim Ross welcomes his new colour commentator to the table, where Rude instantly informs us that it's high time they had a little bit of impartial announcing around here.....instead of the biased opinions of a bitter, washed up old has been like Jerry Lawler....just in time for our first match of the evening.....and it's a match with Title ramifications....because since The Hart Brothers and the combination of Steve Austin and Brian Pillman are no longer eligible to compete for Championships held by the KLiQ, tonight we are crowning brand new Challengers for Kevin Nash and Scott Hall's WWF Tag Team Titles. Both of these teams will be looking to put last nights defeats behind them....although the betrayal of the Son's of Samoa's former member Rocky Maivia has got to be playing on the mind of Rikishi and Kokina.....not that you would know it by their display.

There are four big men involved in this one.....but Rikishi, and especially Kokina are bigger, angrier.....and more determined to prove a point tonight.....and finally they are able to put the Million Dollar Team away after Kokina crushes Dennis Knight with the Samoan Splash.

Winner(s): The Son's of Samoa
Rating: B

Quote:

The Son's of Samoa are your new number one contenders.....but they barely have time to celebrate before they are interrupted by the sounds of the Nation of Domination's music....as all five men make their way out onto the ramp. As usual Faarooq has got something to say.....telling the crowd that they can boo and jeer him all they want, but their disapproval doesn't make his words any less true.....he says that last night, the Son's of Samoa LOST their Survivor Series match.......the Million Dollar Corporation LOST their Survivor Series match....and yet here they are, competing for the chance at a shot at the WWF Tag Team Titles.....you know who WON their match last night? The Nation of Domination.....and not only do we NOT have a title shot......we don't even have a match tonight......so tell me again how I'm wrong when I say there is a conspiracy keeping the Gold away from the Nation?

Rikishi has a mic and tells Faarooq that first of all, the only reason the Nation won last night, is because Rocky Maivia turned his back on his family.....his heritage......his own flesh and blood ".....against his own Father.....what were you thinking Rocky? How could you do....."

".....Stop.....stop right there......first of all you can stop calling me Rocky Maivia.....I'm not my father....I'm not my grandfather....and I don't go a damn about any heritage, other than the one I'm going to create.....I'm my own man, and if you want to speak to me you can address me by The Rock.....and The Rock says that this is exactly the sort of crap that made him join the Nation in the first place.....The Rock is the hottest young talent the WWF has ever seen, but do you know how many title opportunities The Rock has had since he arrived here......as many meals as Kokina has turned down in his life....a big fat zero.....and yet the minute The Rock leaves the Son's of Samoa, your fat asses get handed a Title opportunity? I guess now that there's a little less soul in your team you're a little bit more appealing to the man in the back.......but The Rock tells you this.....The Rock guaran-damn-tees that you two sacks of crap will NEVER win that gold before we do.....and the Nation will make sure of that.....by any means necessary....."

Quote:

We head backstage to the office of Gorilla Monsoon, where Vince McMahon is in the process of tearing the WWF President a new one.....telling him that if he ever....EVER.....pulls a stunt like the Survivor Series again, it will be HIM that's looking for another job. He tells him that the KLiQ are his golden cash cow.....they are the epitome of everything that the WWF stands for....they're edgy.....hip......they have......attitude......

".......attitude?.....ATTITUDE??....IF YOU WANT ATTITUDE I'LL GIVE YOU (bleep)ING ATTITUDE......"

.....with that Scott Steiner bursts into the room and practically picks Vince McMahon up by his lapels, before slamming him down onto Monsoons desk and screaming in his face.....asking him if he heard him right? That the only reason he's not wearing the WWF Championship right now, is because HE gave Shawn Michaels a loophole? McMahon starts back-peddling rapidly, telling Steiner that he must have misunderstood.....and it was Clarence Mason that found the loophole.....

......Steiner says if that's the case.....and since he's four potential title Challengers down after Survivor Series, then he won't have a problem giving Big Poppa Pump a shot at the Title he never should have lost......

".....who's Big Poppa Pump?...."

".......the guy with the largest arms in the world, that's got his hands around your scrawny little pencil neck......"

Security suddenly storm the room and attempt to drag Steiner off McMahon......but "Big Poppa Pump" as he apparently now goes by, tells Vince that he guarantees that he'll break his neck before security breaks his grip......unless he gives him the shot......McMahon finally relents.....but says he can't just "give" him a title shot.....he has to earn a title shot......beat Scott Hall tonight in the main event.....and you get a title shot.

That's finally good enough for Steiner, who releases McMahon just as he's turning blue, before shoving security out of the way.....but not before turning to warn the boss that....

"........if you p*ss me off again......I'll break you in half......"

Rating: A*

Quote:

We come back from commercial to find Al Snow and Head already in the ring.....dresses up again in their ridiculous detective gear. Despite being a (begrudging) member of Raven's Flock, Al never fails to get a positive reaction from the crowd.....and so does Head, who is in the middle of receiving her own chant from the fans, before Al quietens them down and begins to talk. He tells the crowd that himself, Sherlock Snow.....and his assistant Doctor Head have been on a mission of discovery.....he says that he has made it his life mission, to ensure that nobody else ever gets sucked under Raven's spell.....or ever has to suffer unnecessarily.......which is why he went on a quest......a quest to discover the origin of this.....(a picture flashes up on the big screen.....a still image of a smiling young man about to fly from the roof of his house)......

.....he says believe it or not.....that carefree young man.....that happy smiling man......is Mick Foley.....although you all know him better as Mankind.......except, while his name may be Mick Foley.....and while you may know him as Mankind.......that man in that image......that's the Dude......that's Dude Love......that's where Mankind envisioned his life would go, before he was systematically used and abused by the Kane's and the Jim Cornettes.....and the Ravens of this world.....

"......that's a young man who grew up on Long Island.....a man growing up obsessed with professional wrestling......a man who dreamed of becoming a professional wrestler.....but also a man, who knew that he was lacking some of the fundamental elements that it takes to be a star......he wasn't big, wasn't athletic....he wasn't a heart-throb.....he didn't have a body that looked like it was chiselled out of granite.....he wasn't a smooth talker....he wasn't confident with the ladies.....in short, Mick Foley was never going to be wrestlings next star......so he created someone who was.....someone handsome.....someone charming.....someone that oozed confidence.....a genuine, bonafide Lady-Killer......that's was 1985.....the year Dude Love was born.....

.....now I've spoken to Mick's friends....they say that the Dude was the Coolest Cat in the room.....everything Mick ever wanted to be....and everything a woman could want in a man.....he had a large tattoo of a heart emblazoned on his chest and wore sunglasses....all the time.....even at night......Dude Love was so cool....that the world needed to see him.....which is where the video, "The Loved One" came from....a group of friends with a crappy camera, filming a movie in a series of flashbacks.....take a look....."

....Al indicates to the video screen once more.......but instead of "The Loved One" we get......

.....Raven, followed closely behind by the man of the hour Mankind.....Christopher Daniels, Doink.....and the Dogs of War, Wrath and Crush.....Raven climbs between the ropes, walks right up to Snow.....and backhands him so hard across the face that his deerstalker hat flys off his head. He tells Snow to stop this nonsense....NOW.....he tells Al that he doesn't want Dude Love.....Dude Love is an idiot.....and Raven says that one idiot (looking up and down at Snows ridiculous outfit) in the Flock is more than enough.....he says that he wants "Jack".....and he's going to get "Jack".....and he will do ANYTHING to ensure that he gets what he wants.....starting tonight......so stop this ridiculous charade and get OUT of the ring.

Quote:

VS.

This match is hot off the heels of the Dog's of War attacking the Legion of Doom last night....leading to Hawk and Animal both being eliminated from the Survivor Series match. Obviously the Road Warriors didn't take too kindly to that, so here we are. The rest of the Flock have returned to the back, meaning that Wrath and Crush are going it alone....not that they need back up....these are two big, strong, angry men, dead set on paving a path of destruction through the WWF.....and they certainly give as much as they get tonight.....in the end however the Legion of Doom were the better men tonight, as Hawk finished off Wrath with a flying clothesline from the top rope.

Winner(s): The Legion of Doom.

Quote:

Following the match the Legion of Doom....well, Hawk....takes a microphone briefly......he says that the LoD aren't ones for apologies.....in fact they've never apologised for anything a day in their lives....but they got caught up in the moment at Survivor Series and left the Hardy Boys short two men.....but he says that the Hardys more than held their own, and even in defeat showed that they could hang with the best of them.......which is why at Decembers In Your House, they're going to be facing their final test.....their biggest test yet.......because they're going to be facing Hawk.....and Animal......the Legion of Doom......and if the students can defeat the masters, they will finally graduate from the Road Warrior University.

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

It's time for the Light Heavyweights to do their thing....although this isn't your usual light heavyweight contest.....because while Rey Mysterio may fly like the best of them, Chris Candido definitely has more of a grounded, smash mouth approach to his matches.....and while Chris isn't exactly the strongest guy on the roster, he is certainly more powerful than a good portion of the division.....especially young Rey, who is unquestionably the smallest wrestler on the entire roster. Rey may be small, but what he lacks in size he more than makes up for in ability.....Sean Waltman can attest to that....which is why he's held on to that Light Heavyweight Championship since Summerslam, taking on all comers left and right.

This was a big test of speed and agility vs power and brawling.....Mysterios high flying gave him the edge to begin with.....but it also nearly cost him the match, when Candido reversed a Hurracanranna into a stiff Powerbomb, that very nearly won him the match and the Championship....in the end however a perfectly good match was ruined.....

.......by the arrival of Kane....who marches down the aisle with purpose. He climbs into the ring and both competitors turn their attention to the Big Red Monster.....but they have little to no impact, and Kane slams them both to the mat with a huge Double Chokeslam....giving the official little choice but to call the match off.

Winner: No Contest
Rating: C+

Quote:

Kane isn't happy with that....and both Mysterio and Candido receive a Tombstone a piece before the Big Red Monster finally tosses them both from the ring like they weigh nothing. Cornette joins his Weapon of Mass Destruction in the ring with a microphone.....where he tells the Undertaker that if he thinks he accomplished anything by pinning Kane last night then he is seriously mistaken.....Cornette says that Kane was a split second away from kicking out of THREE consecutive Tombstone Piledrivers.....and while the Deadman was completely spent after their encounter, Kane was more than ready to continue the fight. Cornette says that the only reason the Undertaker left Survivor Series with his life, was because Jim Cornette allowed it.......but don't think for one minute that this is over......because Kane still has a fire burning inside him.....and it's The Undertaker that's going to feel the heat.

Quote:

VS.

Mr. Perfect made the Perfect return at last nights Survivor Series event.....and he looks to continue the trend here tonight, when he faces off against two of the men on the losing side of that match, Chris Jericho and Marc Mero. Mero has had his fair share of problems with the combination of Billy Gunn and Mr. Perfect.....but he does hold a Pay Per View victory over Gunn....something that he makes sure to remind him about. Chris Jericho still has one eye on his former partner Lance Storm, after Storm eliminated him from the Survivor Series match last night following a hard Piledriver......

.......who funnily enough is involved in the end ping of this one.....not physically, because he fractured his ass last night.....but his mere presence is enough of a distraction to ensure that Chris Jericho isn't there to break up the three count after Mr. Perfect lands Mero with the Perfect-Plex.

Winner(s): Mr. Perfect and Billy Gunn

Quote:

Perfect mounts the middle rope in celebration.....but Billy Gunn doesn't look happy in the background.....and when Perfect drops down to raise Gunn's arm in victory, Gunn can be heard complaining that it should have been HIM that got the pinfall.....and Perfect should remember who the star is around here.....and who the "executive consultant" is....but he still celebrates the victory none the less.

Rating: B-

Quote:

We come back from commercial to the impressive entrance that is the Undertaker.....as the Deadman makes his slow walk down the aisle way. Presumably he is making his way out here to respond to the comments of Jim Cornette earlier in the evening....and for once, Cornette was speaking the truth....because while Kane made his way down to the ring tonight more than ready to continue battling, The Undertaker is certainly moving much more gingerly than usual.....which is probably why he doesn't see Raven come running down the aisle behind him....

......and blindside him with a steel chair shot across the back. Paul Bearer is quick to get out of dodge before he receives the same fate....not that the Deadman goes down.....instead he turns to face his attacker.......and gets that same steel chair smashed over his head......THEN the Undertaker goes down....and goes down hard, as Raven pounces on him delivering a savage beating that culminates with him delivering a brutal Evenflow DDT onto the steel chair, on the floor....and the Undertaker is done. Raven collects a microphone from ringside then walks back up the aisle to where the Undertaker lays. He sits down on the floor beside him, with his back resting against the Crowd Barrier. He smooths his hair back away from his face, before looking down at the Deadman and beginning to speak....

".....the men with a history of violence, live in fear of retribution......the men with the most to lose, live in fear of losing it all......and the men with the most to live for, live in fear of the day that Death places his cold hand on their shoulder......I don't live in fear of anything.....I have nothing to live for.....I have nothing to lose......and as for retribution, I welcome it.......unleash your fury and your vengeance upon me Deadman.....come for me......make me feel YOUR pain.....but understand this.....you're nothing more than a means to an end.....a tool......a reason for a madman to return.....I will welcome your painful embrace.....because sooner or later I will get what I want......He will come.......Quote the Raven.....Nevermore....."

Quote:

VS.

It's time for the main event of the evening, and we have a packed house here tonight....as not only have the KLiQ joined Scott Hall at ringside, but Vince McMahon himself has decided to take a seat at the commentary table. Jim Ross questions the validity of Steiner gaining a title shot if he wins here tonight after McMahon's recent actions......but Vince assures us that his word is his bond....and should Scott Steiner be able to defeat The Bad Guy tonight, then he will indeed get a title shot....BUT....that's going to be a big ask, because Scott Hall is one of the very best.

He might be slowing down a little bit as he ages, but Scott Hall can still put on a main event calibre match up, even with his declining abilities.....and it certainly helped that he and Steiner has outstanding chemistry together.....it also helped that Scott Steiner picked right back up where he left off a few months back, putting in the performance of the evening....in the end the incentive was too great for Steiner to fail....and despite numerous attempts at outside interference, he was finally able to make Hall submit in the middle of the ring, with the Camel Clutch that he has christened the Steiner Recliner.

Winner: Scott Steiner
Rating: B+

Quote:

The bell rings and Shawn Michaels does not look happy on the floor, screaming at McMahon that Steiner is a madman.....Vince does his best to calm the Champion down, as Steiner leans over the ropes screaming at Michaels, who looks close to a melt down when McMahon takes a microphone.....he tells Shawn to.....

".....calm down damn it.....you're the Heartbreak Kid Shawn Michaels....the World Wrestling Federation Champion.....the Showstopper....the Main Event.....you are the Reason for the Ratings, and you beat Scott Steiner AND Steve Austin, in the same night, in the same match.....you can beat that knucklehead one more time............except..........you won't need to at In Your House.......

....See Steiner.......I said if you could defeat Scott Hall then you would receive a title shot......I didn't however.....say a World Title shot no, no, no........see at In Your House, you get your title shot......your INTERCONTINENTAL title shot......against your brother, Rich Steiner........."

Unsurprisingly Steiner doesn't take the news well......not that he doesn't want another piece of his brother....more that he was looking forward to righting a wrong that dated back to June's King of the Ring......McMahon is un-phased now that he is out of Big Poppa Pump's reach, merrily informing him that.....

".......and that is what you get for having the arrogance to demand ANYTHING of Vincent Kennedy McMahon......THIS however......is for having the nerve to place your hands on Vincent Kennedy McMahon.........."

.....and with that the KLiQ rush the ring and begin assaulting Steiner in a vicious four on one beating.....and Shawn Michaels is tuning up the band, ready to land the final blow.......

......until Ahmed Johnson comes charging down the aisle......and he's got wood.....he's got huge wood......a huge plank of wood that he uses to send the KLiQ running from the ring to the safety of the floor. He paces around hyping up the crowd for a minute, before helping Scott Steiner to his feet. Michaels is in an even worse mood now.....and it doesn't get any better when Ahmed slowly points the plank of lumber in Shawn's direction.....then motions to his waist that he's gunning for the World Wrestling Federation Championship.....maybe we have found our new number one contender tonight after all.

Final Rating: A