View Single Post
Unread 01-16-2018, 07:05 PM
All Star

Default April 2003 Renaissance Update and May 2003 National Battle Report

Quote:
April 2003 Update

-The big news came on the first Renaissance after the Unified PPV, when we revealed that an 8-team tournament to crown tag team champions would begin in May. In the three weeks of TV before the tournament began, it would be up to the roster to form their teams. That was the main point driving all story development for those three weeks.

-Our Generation and Daffney/LuFisto are pre-established teams, so we didn't bother doing any teasing there.

-Devil Masami and Aja Kong showed some great chemistry in their previous matches together, so we had Devil come out after a Kong squash and suggest that they join forces to demolish every other team in the tournament.

-Veteran Chigusa Nagayo and youngster Meiko Satomura wrestled to a 30-minute draw on April 12th, and the next week an impressed Nagayo praised Meiko for the limit and offered to team with her in the tournament. Meiko accepted.

-Manami Toyota said the idea of becoming a dual champion appealed to her, so she wanted to enter the tournament with her regular partner Toshiyo Yamada. Toshiyo didn't immediately respond though. Etsuko Mita beat Yamada in the next week's main event, but after the match she applauded Yamada for pushing her to the limit. She also said that if Yamada wanted to step out of Toyota's shadow, the two of them could reform their old Dream Orca tag team in the tournament. Yamada finally gave her answer on the next show, when she came to the ring after Toyota's match and agreed to be her partner. That leaves Mita out in the lurch and scrambling to find a different partner, which won't make her happy.

-Kyoko Inoue and Takako Inoue were both looking for partners--but not each other! Kyoko did find a willing partner in Momoe Nakanishi on the May 3rd show, but Takako was still searching.

Quote:
Show Summaries:

4/12:

Notes from this show:
-Sonoko Kato complained about her lack of push after this show and asked me to start giving her some wins.

4/19:

Notes from this show:
-Etsuko Mita injured her thigh during the main event, but fortunately she was able to shrug it off after a few days' rest.

5/2:

Notes from this show:
-Dusty brought Allison Corino before the wrestler's court, allegedly for forgetting to shake Manami Toyota's hand. She had to buy drinks for everyone after the show.

-Masami and Corino didn't have any chemistry as opponents. That match also included Masami's partner Aja Kong getting in some cheap shots on Allison.

National Battle Report: May 2003

Quote:

USA

#1:

World Wrestling Entertainment

Top 5 Stars:

1) The Rock (1000 points)
2) Hollywood Hogan (853)
3) Triple H (814)
4) The Undertaker (810)
5) Kurt Angle (725)

Total Points: 4,202

#2:

World Championship Wrestling

Top 5 Stars:

1) Steve Austin (974 points)
2) Bill Goldberg (914)
3) Rey Mysterio Jr. (759)
4) CM Punk (746)
5) Rob Van Dam (734)

Total Points: 4,127

Quote:

British Isles

#1:

Top 5 Stars:

2) Hollywood Hogan (879)
3) The Undertaker (810)
4) Triple H (801)
5) Big Show (728)

Total Points: 4,218

#2:

Top 5 Stars:

1) Steve Austin (975 points)
2) Bill Goldberg (914)
3) Rey Mysterio Jr. (748)
4) Scott Steiner (696)
5) Rob Van Dam (693)

Total Points: 4,026

Quote:

Japan

#1:

Top 5 Stars:

1) Steve Austin (966 points)
2) Bill Goldberg (914)
3) CM Punk (834)
4) Rey Mysterio Jr. (802)
5) Sean O'Haire (749)

Total Points: 4,265

#2:

Top 5 Stars:

2) Hollywood Hogan (861)
3) Triple H (820)
4) The Undertaker (810)
5) Kurt Angle (725)

Total Points: 4,216

#3:

New Japan Pro Wrestling

No Data Available--New Japan has now been downgraded to Cult status, and their score is no longer being tabulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashasheen View Post
I trust you to do a good job of it. It's just to me that Goldberg is one of those eternal babyfaces who probably wouldn't work very well as a heel IRL, like a Dusty Rhodes or Ricky Steamboat. I know Dusty worked heel with Murdoch, but he's so iconic as a babyface that it's hard to remember.
I know what you mean. He definitely works better as a face, and it was beyond stupid for WCW to turn him when they were struggling and he was the one guy who MIGHT have been able to help (but probably not, because they were such a mess in general.) I've actually written out Goldberg's promo within the Road to Mayhem post you'll be seeing eventually, so hopefully his motivations will make sense.

I never really saw the Dusty and Murdoch run. Right after Dusty died I watched him vs. Inoki on NJPW World, and it's the only time I've ever seen him wrestle as a heel. It was weird.

Quote:
Sidenote on old WCW stuff, but is it just me or does the "cops come out with wrestler" gimmick work far better for a Scott Steiner than a Bill Goldberg? Scott not only had the police siren but also had a habit of charging fans and being a wildcard, whereas Goldberg was always a lone wolf with a bit of a stone face.
Yeah, what does Goldberg need those cops for anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Nection View Post
Oh I just realized that Goldberg wasn't the one being "REDACTED" Y2J or Eddie here we come!
I considered leaving this unanswered and continuing the tease, but I might as well come out and say it now:

"REDACTED" actually applied to TWO people on that creative meeting. Goldberg was the one on the franchise players list. The WWE signing appears on the show stoppers and ring generals lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejus View Post
A huge to-do in Toda! I don't think anyone would have ever seen Goldberg coming, and especially not joining the Empire. It's a little too bad that we are so far away from Starrcade, because Goldberg vs. Austin is now your headline feud. There may be other feuds that you can do that will be better written or better matches, but something has gone very wrong if your #1 PPV event is not main evented by that match now.
In terms of star power, that's absolutely the biggest match I can book. I don't think even WWE has two guys with that level of popularity that they can book together. But does that mean it's the match Bret Hart would want to put in the main event of the biggest show of the year? I guess we'll have to find out.

Quote:
On the note of who all is coming and going, I feel very bittersweet about it. Rey staying is great news, as you've done so much to push him, and to lose him now would make it all for naught. I am pleased that it wasn't Scott Steiner leaving, I really just somehow knew that was just a red herring, but it's a little sad to see Booker go. The biggest reason I see is because it feels as though he had way higher potential than what you were able to get out of him. He never quite managed to come off as much more than an occasional main eventer, useful when you needed someone to fill a slot, save for his heel turn. But, that is very true to real life, where Booker was given the ball to run with mainly because there was barely anyone left in 2000s WCW who could carry it.
It's ironic because he held the world title for 7 months, but calling him an occasional main eventer isn't off the mark with how often he was either bumped out of the main event or not even put in a match on the show. It played into the storyline, but it was also done because other matches were more important or had the potential to be better.