View Single Post
Unread 02-07-2018, 01:19 PM
All Star

Default Great American Bash Wrap-up and Hall of Champions

Quote:
June 15th, 2003
Shortly after the end of Great American Bash

"Hell of a job, champ."

Dustin looked up at me, smiled, then looked back down at the belt he held in his hands. He'd scrubbed off his face paint and changed into his street clothes, now fully out of his Unnatural persona.

"I wasn't kidding in my promo when I said I didn't think this was ever going to happen," he said, still staring at the belt. "I'd accepted it, even."

"I didn't think you'd ever win it either," I said bluntly. "When we first re-started, I didn't see you as anything other than a good veteran hand. But I'm happy you proved me wrong. You earned this."

"Thanks, Bret. I appreciate it." I shook his hand and continued to make my backstage rounds.

I made sure to congratulate both Rey and Eddie for their own contributions to the great main event. Fantastic PPV main events have become routine since Rey won the title. Dustin has big shoes to fill.

Several of the boys were gathered around a table for a poker game that Tenay put together. Based on what I could see, it looked like Lance Storm was doing great again.

Scott Steiner stopped me to complain about not getting enough time tonight, specifically singling out Yang and saying he could've had more time to entertain the fans if I just got rid of that guy.

Ric Flair was talking about ring psychology with his protégé James Storm. He's only a tag team job guy right now, but maybe Ric can help him become something more.

Bobby Roode stopped me to politely say that he thinks hardcore matches aren't really his forte and it'd be better if he just worked standard matches from now on. I told him I agreed, and hardcore matches weren't going to be a regular thing in our company anyway.

This was another great night for us, but already I'm looking ahead. We've got the next Renaissance PPV coming up soon, and then there's Bash at the Beach in Australia. No rest for the weary. We need to keep this momentum going. If we can, WWE will be feeling the heat soon enough.

Hall of Champions:

Quote:

NITRO BRAND

World Heavyweight Champion:

The Unnatural

Won: June 15th, 2003 in a triple threat match against Rey Mysterio Jr. and Eddie Guerrero at Great American Bash in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Previous Champions (since March 2001):
Rey Mysterio Jr.: December 29th, 2002-June 15th, 2003 (168 days)
Booker T (#5): May 19th, 2002-December 29th, 2002 (224 days)
Rob Van Dam: December 30th, 2001-May 19th, 2002 (140 days)
Scott Steiner (#2): July 15th, 2001-December 30th, 2001 (168 days)
Booker T (#4): March 26th, 2001-July 15th, 2001 (111 days)

United States Heavyweight Champion:

AJ Styles

Won: December 29th, 2002 from Shane Douglas at Starrcade in Sydney, Australia

Shane Douglas (#2): April 1st, 2002-December 29th, 2002 (272 days)
Rey Misterio Jr (#2): October 14th, 2001-April 1st, 2002 (169 days)
Kanyon: August 5th, 2001-October 14th, 2001 (70 days)
Rey Misterio Jr: May 13th, 2001-August 5th, 2001 (85 days)
Booker T: March 18th, 2001-April 30th, 2001 (44 days)

Cruiserweight Champion:

"American Dragon" Bryan Danielson (2nd reign)

Won: April 20th, 2003 from Christopher Daniels at Clash of the Champions in Toda, Japan

Christopher Daniels: September 22nd, 2002-April 20th, 2003 (210 days)
American Dragon: August 11th, 2002-September 22nd, 2002 (42 days)
AJ Styles: April 21st, 2002-August 11th, 2002 (112 days)
TAKA: December 30th, 2001-April 21st, 2002 (112 days)
Jushin Liger: August 5th, 2001-December 30th, 2001 (147 days)
Shane Helms: March 18th, 2001-August 5th, 2001 (140 days)

World Television Champion:

Sean O'Haire

Won: January 26th, 2003 from Fit Finlay at Sin in Denver, Colorado

Previous Champions (since July 2002):
Fit Finlay (#2): July 29th, 2002-January 26th, 2003 (181 days)

World Tag Team Champions:

"Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels and Brian Adams (1st reign for the team, 3rd for Adams individually)

Won: June 15th, 2003 from The Hardys at Great American Bash in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

The Hardys (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy) (#2): December 29th, 2002-June 15th, 2003 (168 days)
True Heroes (Lance Storm and CM Punk) (#2): October 27th, 2002-December 29th, 2002 (63 days)
The Hardys (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy): July 14th, 2002-October 27th, 2002 (105 days)
True Heroes (Lance Storm and CM Punk): December 30th, 2001-July 14th, 2002 (196 days)
The Natural Born Thrillers (Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire): January 14th, 2001-December 30th, 2001 (351 days)

ANNUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS:

Mayhem Battle Royal (held every May):

2003: Eddie Guerrero
2002: Diamond Dallas Page

Stu Hart Classic Tournament (held every November):

2002: Rey Mysterio Jr.
2001: Rob Van Dam

Quote:

RENAISSANCE BRAND

World Women's Champion:

Manami Toyota (4th reign)

Won: October 5th, 2002 from Etsuko Mita on Women's Wrestling Renaissance in Tokyo, Japan
((This was formerly the WWWA World Championship, the top title in All Japan Women's Pro Wrestling. The title was renamed the WCW World Women's Championship upon WCW buying AJW, and its title lineage was kept intact.))

Previous Champions (since January 2002):
Etsuko Mita: January 9th, 2002-October 5th, 2002 (269 days)

Quote:
The Ultimate Fan Series

2003: Satyr's Hopeful Few, managed by Satyr24 (Mortis, The Unnatural, Alexander, Christopher Daniels and Melissa Anderson)

2002: The Agents of Chaos, managed by Beejus Pilgrim (Scott Steiner, Rick Steiner, Mark Jindrak and Dustin Rhodes)

2001: The K-Nections, managed by Kevin Gaines (Booker T, Sting, AJ Styles and Alex Wright)

1989? Championship Pedigree, managed by Bernie Klein (Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase, Tito Santana, Robert Gibson and The Rougeau Brothers)

Quote:
Prediction Scores (out of a possible 12 points):

((+3 = correctly predicted The Unnatural as the next world champion))

Beejus: 11

deanohbk: 10
ElectricX: 10
chrismday: 10

K-Nection: 9 (+3)
evileddie10: 9
michgcs: 9
GingeyOne: 9
Happy0wns: 9
Theheel: 9
Rateddc: 9
Dead_Jester: 9
Satyr24: 9 (+3)

DHK1989: 8
Texasrangers13: 8
James The Animator: 8
Danny_H22: 8
jscotty: 8
Kainlock: 8
2Sweet: 8
The Pitbull: 8
Nobby_McDonald: 8
Caveman KungFu: 8

crackerjack: 7
kinnikuniverse: 7
bonnie: 7
JMike: 7
Uncrewed: 7
Warhawk8492: 7
DavidCorperial: 7
cbacon87: 7
Cro Cop Rules: 7

DGenerationMC: 6
Kijar: 6
Wolfman84: 6

Quote:
Final Standings in prediction contest after four shows:

Satyr24: 42

Happy0wns: 37

Rateddc: 36 (23:20)

Kijar: 36 (23:01)

James The Animator: 35

K-Nection: 34

Theheel: 31

kinnikuniverse: 33

Warhawk8492: 30
michgcs: 30
chrismday: 30

Smasher1311: 29
Dead_Jester: 29
ElectricX: 29

crackerjack: 28
GingeyOne: 28
deanohbk: 28

jscotty: 27
evileddie10: 27

DGenerationMC: 26
Beejus: 26

Uncrewed: 25
The Pitbull: 25

DavidCorperial: 24
JMike: 24
Danny_H22: 24

DHK1989: 23

Cro Cop Rules: 22

Nobby_McDonald: 21

Wolfman84: 20
bonnie: 20

cbacon87: 19

Texasrangers13: 14
2Sweet: 14

The Lariat: 12

Spirophore: 9

Kainlock: 8
Caveman KungFu: 8

KnowYourEnemy: 6

WilburTrey: 5
Ian carlisle: 5

I'll be contacting the bolded three via PM soon, and they will have the options of choosing between taking part in the WWE draft and booking Summerslam. If any of them request a different prize, Kijar would be the first alternate since he lost out via tiebreaker. I'll wait a day or so before I start sending the PMs out just in case I made a mistake with the point totals; if anyone thinks I did, let me know ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowYourEnemy View Post
Sad to see Rey lose the title here -- I'm a massive mark for Dusty and Dustin, who have made a genuine huge impact on the business, and Cody, who could very well make an equally groundbreaking impact if his work on in ROH and the indies keep up. However, it was definitely the right move for The Unnatural to pick up the win -- it really gives momentum to The Salvation stable.
Cody's quite the story, and should serve as an example to anyone in WWE frustrated with the way their careers are going. He bet on himself, left and is without question a bigger star now.

Quote:
I've always been a fan of a stable member holding a title -- there are many ways to go, and the faction creates multiple scenarios to end a match. Also, if Spanky can hit 80 at this point in his career and he's "off his game", he's going to be huge in WCW.
I have high hopes for him.

Quote:
Dusty and Dustin were huge stars in groundbreaking roles, and Cody would've been one had he been booked better -- WWE definitely dropped the ball, but I think that it's still difficult for fans to appreciate his heel work when they respect his older brother and father so much.
Personally I'd say Cody and Minoru Suzuki are the two best heels in wrestling right now (in very different ways.) Cody in the last Being the Elite, sitting in the bath tub with his Cody beer, a Cody Rhodes poster on the wall, smoking a cigar and playing the harmonica while everyone else in Bullet Club is miserable over what he did to Omega? Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnikuniverse View Post
Oh, and EAGLES FLY FREE!!!!!
That was a bigger upset than Daniels and Adams! What a finish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smasher1311 View Post
Ah, the infamous TFC drug test-related falls. How I missed them
At least I no longer test for steroids! I even made a joke out of that very early on with a tongue in cheek reference to what happened with Macho in TGAAB.

Quote:
Very happy for the Unnatural, I didn't think you'd go this far with him, but as the breakout character of the diary, I'm happy you did (I also might have overstated the comment about him OBVIOUSLY being there to take the fall.)

Great stuff like always!
It was a reasonable assumption to make, considering I went out of my way to put emphasis on Eddie vs. Rey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejus View Post
I am for sure looking forward to what happens on the ride next month to Australia and Bash at the Beach! Your idea of making that an Australia-only PPV is something that I would find limiting though, personally I think that BatB is a bit limiting in general because if you don't have it in a beach town then the name makes no sense. Of course Australia is a wonderful island continent so the name will fit nicely no matter what you do there, but for me it just seems like there's a lot of places that aren't getting love if a company decides to just put all of it's shows in one region. (I say this as HtG sees Eric move every Nitro to Las Vegas, so take it for what you will )
Bash at the Beach is a name that only lends itself to certain areas, agreed. It is restricting in that way, but I feel like that PPV is too well established to change it. I think doing it in Australia annually should work out well. That's an area I want to visit at least once a year if not twice. Obviously I run most of my shows in the US, plus Japan is covered with Renaissance.

I have the popularity to run in Mexico but doing promos would be an issue, so maybe I'll try and run a PPV there some day and then do Nitro the next night in California. Now my popularity in the British Isles has caught up, but a lot of the individual workers aren't as over there as they are elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashasheen View Post
Speaking of moving PPVs around, is there a reason you didn't move WCW to Canada for a headquarter location in the prelude to the game, TFC?
Two big reasons:

-At the start, Canada was one of my least popular areas.

-At the time, I don't think I could even get a TV deal in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowYourEnemy View Post
I think WCW drew pretty well in Australia about this time -- I'm not sure how that reflects in-game. I, for one, would love to see an [Australian] Commonwealth Title -- sort of like the WWE UK Title, but I'm not sure who would be over down under. Nathan Jones, maybe? Dennis Rodman, perhaps?
Australia begins tied with Japan as WCW's second best area (the US obviously being first.) That helped me get great TV deals in Australia and Japan early on, which helped them both grow even further. I am currently more popular in Australia than anywhere else, even the US, but I'm still not eligible for National status there because of its lesser importance.