View Single Post
Unread 02-17-2018, 08:29 PM
Low Minors

Default WWF Superstars & Challenge #5 (04/02, 04/03)

WWF Superstars of Wrestling #5

April 2nd, 1987

From the Prather Coliseum in Natchitoches, Louisiana

Attendance: 3,900 (Sold-Out)

Announce Team: Gorilla Monsoon, Vince McMahon and Jesse Ventura

Quote:
WWF Superstars kicks off displaying some of the most memorable highlights of WrestleMania, such as Piper's retirement match, Alice Cooper making a surprise appearance, Junkyard Dog versus Harley Race, Savage versus Steamboat and Andre versus Hogan. McMahon informs the viewers that they can catch a special encore of the historical event this weekend, by calling their local cable provider.

Quote:

In the parking lot, outside the Prather Coliseum, Gene Okerlund catches Bobby Heenan arriving and questions Heenan on what is next after Andre The Giant came up short against Hulk Hogan.

Bobby Heenan: "I put my faith into Andre The Giant, like I put my faith into the lottery, yet I always end up getting a bad scratch off. Andre is the perfect example of that, I banked on him to bring the championship to The Heenan Family and he failed! Hogan... You may think that I'm finished with you, but this is far from over! You have not seen the last of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, I can promise you that! Whether I have to use my last breath, I will make sure to it that I kill Hulkamania!"

Quote:
Normal, Tag Team Match

The Young Stallions Vs. The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff

The moment The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff came down to the ring, it was clear to see that their manager, Slick was not present. While that was clearly noticeable, what was also noticeable was how both teams executed good, as they both looked to make their way into title contention. The stallions looked good in this one, but the aggressive offense of Sheik and Volkoff was too much for them to handle. Volkoff ended the match when he put Paul Roma into a bearhug to earn the submission victory.

Winners: The Iron Sheik & Nikolai Volkoff

Match Time: 7:18

Finish: Bearhug by Nikolai Volkoff on Paul Roma ends the match with Submission

Quote:

Unsatisfied with their win, The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff continued their attack on The Young Stallions.

Suddenly, the two men we seen last week on Superstars began to walk down the ramp and into the ring. They both joined in on the assault, once satisfied with the beatdown, they toss both Paul Roma and Jim Powers over the ropes. The older Russian brute, introduced himself as Ivan Koloff and that the men beside him is his nephew, Nikita Koloff. Ivan states that the Americans have mistreated the Russians for too long and that it is now time for them to seek revenge.

Ivan Koloff: "You Americans will respect us, you will tolerate us and you will appreciate us. My nephew and I have come to the World Wrestling Federation to cause total destruction on all of your beloved superstars. We have joined forces with our Russian allies (Sheik & Volkoff) to establish ourselves as The Russian Alliance. Together, we'll prove to all of you Americans why Russia is the supreme country."

The crowd boos all four men in the ring, as they raise their fists up in the air, establishing themselves as the new threat in the WWF.

Quote:

WWF President, Jack Tunney, took part in an interview with Gene Okerlund and in it revealed a brand-new championship, the WWF World Television Championship.

Tunney explained that with the 12-month PPV schedule in place, the fans will get non-stop exciting action. Tunney expressed that that wasn't enough and that fans who dedicate their time to the television shows, should get another reward. Tunney added that with titles mainly being defended on PPVs and live events, the WWF Board of Directors decided to implant a television exclusive championship.

Jack Tunney: "Now that WrestleMania is behind us, it's time to continue bringing more innovating changes to you, the fans. Which is why It makes me happy to announce the WWF World Television Championship, exclusive only to our television shows. Beginning next week, we will crown the first ever champion in a 15-man battle royal."

Tunney announces several participants such as Koko B. Ware, Hercules, Bob Orton, Honky Tonk Man, Magnificent Muraco and Jim Duggan. Afterwards, Tunney expresses that this title will be pivotal in changing the course of a wrestler's career. He adds that if the title holder can earn 10 defenses, he can cash the title in for an Intercontinental Championship match. Tunney also adds that if the title holder earns 20 defenses, he can cash in for a WWF World Heavyweight Championship match.

The crowd can be heard in the background cheering on about the new concept, as Tunney wishes everyone good luck in the battle royal next week.

Quote:
Normal, Singles Match

Butch Reed Vs. Billy Jack Haynes

Both men came into this match looking to earn themselves some momentum. Reed officially won the 15-man battle royal at WrestleMania to earn the rights to face Ricky Steamboat at The Big Event on April 26th. While Haynes lost the Full Nelson Challenge match against Hercules, which meant he really needed this win. Reed was looking prepared for his title match, as he dominated Haynes and showed what he's all about. It wouldn't be long until Reed delivered the Gorilla Press Slam and earned himself another win.

Winner: Butch Reed

Match Time: 6:15

Finish: Gorilla Press Slam earns Reed the pin.

Quote:

Gene Okerlund has been quite busy tonight, as he conducted another interview, this time with the new WWF Intercontinental Champion, Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. Okerlund praised the match that Steamboat had with Savage. He then asked Steamboat how it feels to capture his first title in the WWF on the biggest stage of them all in front of 93,173 people. Steamboat claimed it to be the biggest night of his life while thanking all of the fans for their support. Steamboat talked about how he'll defend the prestigious title with pride and that he looks forward to his match against Butch Reed.

The interview wouldn't last much longer though, as the former WWF Intercontinental Champion, Randy Savage stepped into the scene with the lovely, Miss Elizabeth.

Randy Savage wasn't too pleased seeing the WWF Intercontinental Championship over the shoulder of Steamboat and he made that clear.

Randy Savage: "Steamboat, you may have beaten me at WrestleMania but I'm far from finished with you! Forget about Butch Reed, because the real contender or should I say, the real champion is right here in your face! Continue being the Macho Man's placeholder for now, because after The Big Event PPV, the #1 force in the universe is going to take back what is his! OOOOHHHHHH YEEEAAAAH!"

Quote:

The Million Dollar Man, Ted DiBiase made his way to the ring with a lot of boos. DiBiase showed a slight smirk and questioned why the fans didn't like him, was it because he had more money than them? A better lifestyle than them? Or perhaps, a better look than them? Each question had the fans getting louder, which brought out joy in DiBiase.

Ted DiBiase: "Okay, that's enough from all of you low-life bums! Clearly, you guys here in Louisiana don't respect a rich man, quite like myself. It probably has to do with the fact that your bank accounts don't hold nearly as much as mine. Boo all you want, I'm not here to satisfy any of you anyways. I have my own personal goals here in the WWF and none of them has anything to do with you! Perhaps, you all will respect me more when I beat your beloved, Tito Santana. HAHAHAHAHA!"

Quote:
Normal, Singles Match

Ted DiBiase Vs. Tito Santana

Tito Santana came down to the ring with a big pop from the crowd, as he went face to face with WWF's new signee, Ted DiBiase. The moment the bell rang, DiBiase pulled out a hundred-dollar bill and told Santana that it was his, if he laid down on the mat and accepted him as the winner. The crowd booed and Santana declined the offer. Santana brought the offense to DiBiase and made him realize what he signed up for. Santana looked good and almost had the victory, but DiBiase countered with a low-blow. The referee had not seen the cheap move, as prior to the attack, DiBiase placed the hundred-dollar bill on the mat to distract the referee. Once DiBiase went for the pin, the referee noticed and declared Ted DiBiase the winner by pinfall.

Winner: Ted DiBiase

Match Time: 6:33

Finish: Low blow by DiBiase earned him the pin.

Quote:

The WWF World Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan made his way to the ring and thanked all of the Hulkamaniacs for their support. He added that without their support and belief in him, he would have never had the power to lift the giant and slam him on the mat. With WrestleMania now out of the way, Hogan ensured fans that Hulkamania would truly live on forever.

Hogan continued to thank his fans and that he was ready for the next challenge for him to take on, as he said that, a familiar face came out.

Hogan smiled once he saw Heenan and questioned where his all mighty giant was at. Heenan replied, that while Hogan defeated Andre, he wasn't close to being finished with The Heenan Family. Heenan added that he will not rest until Hulkamania is dead and buried to the ground.

Bobby Heenan: "You got lucky at WrestleMania Hogan! Though, your luck is all going to run out soon enough. Because I know somebody who has been plotting for a long while to get their hands on you, to get their revenge. That men will in fact get his revenge come April 26th, at The Big Event. Last time you defeated him was inside a cage, this time you must pin his shoulders to the mat for a 1...2...3. Hogan, I give to you... KING KONG BUNDY!"

Bundy came out to the ramp and stood by Heenan's side. Hogan stared him down from the ring, as did Bundy.

Hulk Hogan: "All of my Hulkamaniacs know that I'm not a man who backs down from a challenge, brother! If King Kong wants to be brought down, then in New York City, New York, I'm gonna bring you down! My only question to you Bundy is, whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you?!"

Hogan stands in the ring and poses with the WWF World Heavyweight Championship, as he taunts Bundy to come down and fight him right now. Heenan and Bundy glared at Hogan, before exiting the stage.

TV Rating: 1.36 (1,025,010 Viewers)

Show's Overall Rating:

Quote:
Backstage News / Incidents / Opinions

• Paul Ordnorff showed up on pain killers and had to be sent home. He's been fined for his actions, as many say McMahon was outraged with the incidence as he had plans for Hogan Vs. Ordnorff at The Big Event on April 26th. This is why plans were made for Hogan Vs. Bundy instead.

WWF Wrestling Challenge #5

April 3rd, 1987

From the Abe Lemons Arena in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Attendance: 3,500 (Sold-Out)

Announce Team: Lord Alfred Hayes & Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
The WWF World Tag Team Champions, The Hart Foundation get interviewed by Jesse Ventura. Bret Hart claims that they didn't need Jimmy Hart by their side and that they came out with the victory. Hart added that The British Bulldogs can make all the excuses they want, but at the end of the day, The Hart Foundation are the world champs and the best tag team in the world. (B-,72)

Despite losing to Junkyard Dog at WrestleMania, Race had the last laugh. In a match to help Race earn some more momentum and heat, he defeated Jim Brunzell with the Piledriver in 5:32. (B-,72)

Backstage, "The Natural" Butch Reed and his manager, Slick, talks with Gene Okerlund about Reed's upcoming title match against Ricky Steamboat at The Big Event on April 26th. Slick talked about how his client already has a great look and style, but he'll be even more better with the IC title. (B-,74)

With his tag team partner, Greg Valentine out with injury, Brutus Beefcake had to fight on his own. He came through with a win against George Steele in 6:18 after performing a big High Knee. (B-,73)

Johnny V told the audience and viewers at home that despite Greg Valentine, Brutus Beefcake will get the job done next week to become the 1st WWF World Television Champion. (C-,57)

Demolition made their return and defeated The Islanders easily in 4:45. (C,62)

Gene Okerlund interviews Jake Roberts on what's next after defeating Honky Tonk Man at WrestleMania. Roberts explained that he's focused on becoming WWF Intercontinental Champion and that he's the next #1 contender after The Big Event. Despite what Randy Savage may say or think, he's going to get himself the title shot he deserves. (A,90)

Bobby Heenan claims The Heenan Family will rebound from WrestleMania's failures once Hercules cements his name into the history books as the first WWF World Television Champion. (B+,87)

King Kong Bundy headlined the main event, in which he took on Koko B. Ware. Koko did his best to knock off Bundy from the world title picture, but Bundy ended him rather quickly in 6:41 With a Big Splash. (C+,69)

TV Rating: 0.49 (370,680 Viewers)

Show Rating:

Quote:
Backstage News / Incidents / Opinions

• Jim Neidhart displayed a flappier body size on this episode, which has people wondering whether he's becoming out of shape.

This Week's News

• NJPW announced that Bad News Allen, Scott Hall, Buzz Sawyer, Dr. Wagner Jr and Konnan will be taking part in their next tour.