Unread 05-07-2018, 06:53 AM
Major League

Week 1, August 1997
Orlando Arena (Orlando, Florida)
ATT: 16,515
TV: 18.05
Announce Team: Tony Schiavone, Eric Bischoff and Mike Tenay

Quote:

It’s Titans of Wrestling time, as the dastardly heel group make their way down the aisle in mass......and they don’t look in a particularly good mood......at least Russo and Hogan don’t.....and if Hollywood Hogan isn’t happy then nobody is happy.....the group climb into the ring where Russo tells these fans to first of all, shut their mouths......and second of all, open their ears......because the boss has something to say.......obviously that generates a fairly large chorus of boo’s, but Russo continues regardless.......

......he looks around at the people surrounding him, before saying that he thought he had made himself very clear.....that where it comes to the Titans of Wrestling, he expects results......last week he was fairly confident that The Enforcer and Jean Paul Levesque could get the job done.....beat Sting and the Warrior......and get rid of those two face painted morons.....but no......and now it’s going to be down to Hollywood and The Macho Man to do the job that those two couldn’t.....fortunately, Hogan and Savage are the two biggest icons in professional wrestling.....bar none......and they will easily wipe the floor with the mute and the space cadet.....

”.......but that’s not the point bro......Hollywood Hogan and The Macho Man Randy Savage shouldn’t be having to clear up YOUR mess......so Ray Traylor.....you get another chance to redeem yourself tonight, because I’ve booked you in the main event.......against Sting.......”

.......The Enforcer seems happy enough with that......Levesque less so, asking what he’s supposed to do? Russo tells him that if he can’t take care of the big boys, he’s arranged a slightly easier opponent for him.....Diamond Dallas Page.......see if Levesque can’t snuff that little problem out before it gets any bigger.......if he can handle it that is.......if not........well, there are plenty of Titans in waiting......all Vince Russo has to do is pick up the phone and make it happen......because like he said......unless your name is Hollywood Hogan or Randy Savage......pretty much anyone is replaceable.....

......Levesque looks far from pleased with that public dressing down......but he keeps his mouth shut.....for now......as Hogan takes the mic.......he says that just leaves one more piece of business tonight.......

”.......and that’s the Warrior dude......see, that face painted freak show is getting too big for his boots brothers.....and it’s time he was taken down a peg or two.......and like Mr. Russo said, it’s time to earn your colours tonight.......I want the Warriors head served up on a silver platter......I want him bloody......I want him battered......I want him broken into a thousand pieces man.......I want the Warrior......or MAYBE I’m going to be looking through Mr. Russo’s little black book, and finding someone that CAN give me what I want.......”

......clearly all is not rosy in the Titans garden right now......and that can only spell problems for WCW.

Rating: A

Quote:

VS.

We open up tonight with Tag Team action......as the monsters of WCW continue to line up in an attempt to get their hands on Mike Awesome......tonight it’s Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow’s turn......but Awesome isn’t alone.......he’s got a little bit of back up in the form of the gentleman who debuted last week......

......Mike Tenay shows us why they call him the Professor, informing the audience that he spoke to Missy Hyatt just today, and he can confirm that this young man’s name is Gideon Cain......and just like Mike Awesome, he wants to prove that he is the next generation of big man, by systematically taking apart ANYONE that says differently........(incidentally, did you know that young Horshu/Luther Reigns here wrestled on the Indys as Max Impact? Inspector Max Impact to be precise.......do you know how badly I wanted to keep that piece of crap name just so I could give these two the team name of Awesome Impact......buttttt, Russo is in control here, and we all know what he thinks of “outdated gimmicks”......and since Luther Reigns is so 2003, Gideon Cain it is).......

......considering that young Gideon here is pretty much fresh out of the Power Plant, this match wasn’t half bad.....obviously Cain was the weak link (performance wise we had Vader A*, Bigelow A, Awesome B+ and then Cain with a D+) but being that it was a Tag Team match we were able to hide his limitations pretty well.....and the match would probably have been even better recieved, had the main eventers won.......

.......as it was however, a p!ssed off Giant made his way out.....with Lex Luger trying to keep the man calm......as the two made their way down the aisle.......that caused Vader to completely take his eye off the match......which left his partner all alone to eat an assisted Powerbomb combination from Awesome and Cain......and as Mike Awesome made the cover, this one was in the books.

Winner(s): Mike Awesome & Gideon Cain
Rating: B

Quote:

Again, while the combination of Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow, and the pairing of The Giant and Lex Luger SHOULD be focusing their attention on Mike Awesome and Gideon Cain, it’s each other that they are pushing and shoving.......and a full on brawl almost erupts here......with Bigelow furious that the Giant stuck his nose into the match.....but also somewhat peeved that his partner left him high and dry......and as tensions flare and tempers erupt in the ring, Awesome, Cain and Missy make their way triumphantly up the aisle, with huge smiles on their faces as we go to a commercial for Road Wild, which is less than two weeks away.

Quote:

VS.

It’s time for The Renegade to once again entertain his dozens of fans......this time against Konnan......The Renegade actually picked up a victory last week......this week not so much.......as the same masked man that assaulted him following his victory over Craig Pittman makes his way out again tonight, once again with his advisor in tow.......distracting The Renegade long enough for Konnan to lock on the Tequila Sunrise, giving his opponent little choice but to submit.

Winner: Konnan
Rating: C-

Quote:

And just like last week, the action doesn’t stop just because the Renegades match has, as these pair enter the ring, and the man clad in green proceeds to assault our face painted hero.......this week as the assault takes place, the associate takes a microphone......declaring himself to be James Vandenberg, the mouthpiece and the mastermind behind this man.....Mortis.....a man who is going to systematically dismantle the entire WCW......starting with The Renegade.......why the Renegade?......because James Vandenberg strives for nothing short of purity and perfection.......and this man here, is nothing more than a second rate attempt to recapture the essence of another.......a Warrior clone built on deception and lies.....unpure......unworthy and unwanted.....and Mortis is here, to cleanse the mistakes of the past.......

.......with that Mortis drags The Renegade to his feet, before positioning him for the Flatliner and driving his skull into the mat, as Vandenberg looks on laughing in the background.......someone scrape the Renegade off the mat, because he’s done folks.

Rating: D

Quote:

VS.

Rick Martel will be challenging Lord Steven Regal for the WCW Television Championship in just 13 days at the Road Wild.....with the agreement in place that it shall be one on one, with the Blue Bloods remaining in the back.......with that being said, it’s the Earl that Martel is facing tonight......and much like at Road Wild there is to be no outside influences.....because while The Duke, Douglas Williams does accompany Eaton to the ring, the official is quick to remove him from ringside and send him back to the locker rooms......much to the outrage of Earl Robert.....

.......these are two veterans of the Ring right here, and while neither man can exactly be accused of being in their prime, they’re still good enough to put on a decent showing......this is all about setting Martel up to face Regal however, and the former Model picks up the victory win the Boston Crab to build his momentum going forward.

Winner: Rick Martel
Rating: B-

Quote:

Mean Gene is out to shill the Hotline next, urging all the great WCW fans to call right now for ALL the rumoured new arrivals around here.......before introducing WCW United States Champion Eddie Guerrero down to the ring......

......Eddie makes his way out with a sneer on his face and the US Title strapped firmly around his waist, standing arrogantly beside the Gene.......who says that Eddie has been on quite the roll as of late.....what’s next for Eddie Guerrero?.....

.......Eddie says he’s been on more than just a roll......he’s been on fire.....so much so that he can’t get no competition around here.....everyone is avoiding him esť......Gene scoffs at that, stating that as long as he has that United States Title around his waist, he sincerely doubts that ANYONE is going to be avoiding Guerrero......in fact, he’s probably got half the locker room gunning for him........

”........is that so?......where are they then esť?......do you see a line that I don’t?.......do you see Diamond Dallas Page rushing to try and regain this belt?......you see Chris Benoit?......Sting?.......Lex Luger?......you don’t see nobody vato......you know why?....because everybody knows that as long as Eddie Guerrero has got this belt, they don’t have a chance........”

.......Eddie says that it’s getting boring......so much so, that he’s offering an open challenge right now to anybody in the back.....Gene is taken back by this revelation, asking.....

”......an open challenge?......”

“.........an open challenge.......”

“.........to anyone in the back?........”

“........that’s what I said esť.........”

“........for the title?.........”

“........for a CHANCE to have a shot at the title........”

........Eddie says that anyone that wants to come out here right now and face him, bring it on.......and if they win, he’ll even give them a shot at the US Title at Road Wild.....which is when some peculiar music begins to play.......

.........as this masked unknown makes his way to the ring to a rather unenthusiastic ovation.......Eddie looks unimpressed too as the new comer hits the ring, asking Gene who the hell this is? Gene has no idea.......and does the sensible thing......ask........to which the new arrival announces (in an unusually high pitched voice) that his name is Willow the Wisp......a jobber name if ever you heard one.......and Eddie obviously agrees, telling an official to get out here and ring the bell so they can get this over with.......

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

Oy Veh.......there may be no Yiddish people in this match but I can’t think of a better term for the crowds disappointment at an open challenge being accepted by a masked nobody.......they get even more apathetic as Eddie cockily assaults this newcomer.....who barely puts up any fight what so ever......until he does......out of nowhere......with a sudden flurry of moves that look oddly familiar......that take Guerrero completely by surprise......and after taking the US Champs head off with what looks suspiciously like a Whisper in the Wind, Willow picks up an utterly surprising and upset victory, after hitting Guerrero with a Swanton Bomb......

Winner: Willow the Wisp

Quote:

Eddie was taken completely by surprise there......and clutching at his ribs he complains loudly that he wasn’t ready......restart the match, he wants a do over......obviously the official was never going to do that.....instead he raises Willow’s hand in victory......

......a clearly irate Guerrero tells the newcomer that he got lucky......and he may have a shot at the United States Title at Road Wild, but there’s no way that a nobody like him can defeat Eddie Guerrero twice.......Willow simply cocks his masked head at Eddie......before reaching up to pull of his mask.........

”.......IT’S JEFF HARDY!......JEFF HARDY IS HERE IN WCW......WHAT A MONUMENTAL NIGHT FOR THIS GREAT SPORT......”

......alright Schiavone, calm down......although in fairness the crowd do pop big for the former WWF star (who incidentally is a MUCH bigger star in WCW than he was in the WWF......how much bigger? Auto push says Upper-Midcard......that’s a huge step up from the Lower-Midcard he was Auto-Pushing up north).......

.......Guerrero looks on in shock......saying no, no, no......he’s been duped.....conned......this is highly unfair.......unfortunately a deal is a deal......and Jeff Hardy WILL be facing Eddie Guerrero in just 13 days at Road Wild, for the WCW United States Championship.

Quote:

VS.

It’s that time again......and the announcers are really starting to get all aboard the Goldberg Train.....with Bobby Heenan in particular impresses by the big guys recent form......tonight’s victim is Alex Wright......and you know the formula by now.......Spear......Jackhammer......Splat.....

......I don’t think Mr. Wright was actually too pleased at doing the job here......in fact, it looked suspiciously like he was considering telling the Booker man “Nein”......at least until Goldberg cracked his knuckles in his direction, the young German soon piped down then......he even gave the rookie his best match to boot.......your winner, Bill Goldberg.

Winner: Bill Goldberg
Rating: C

Quote:

VS.

It’s time for Jean Paul Levesque to prove his worth around here, as Vince Russo has tasked him with taking out Diamond Dallas Page tonight before the man becomes too much of a problem.....and while Page is accompanied by the gorgeous Kimberly, Levesque also has an accomplice.....although it’s not any of the Titans of Wrestling......it’s Buff Bagwell.....although after the Titans (and mainly Tripl....oops, Levesque) handed him a victory last week, it looks like Buff is keen to return the favour......although I’m sure he wouldn’t say no to entry into the exclusive group......

.......this match was pretty good, and pretty much went exactly how you would expect.....Bagwell interfered on numerous occasions (when he wasn’t too busy actively flirting with Kimberly) and it seemed like DDP was fighting a loosing battle against two men.........

.........at least until Chris Benoit (the man on the receiving end of Levesques Pedigree last week) made his way down to deliver a good old fashioned beating to Bagwell......

.......the distraction from which was enough to take Levesques eye off his opponent.....giving Page plenty of time to measure him up for the Diamond Cutter and dropping the man the moment he turned back around.......and even though it took some convincing (and protecting.....AND keeping strong) Levesque puts Page over, for possibly the biggest win of his career so far.

Winner: Diamond Dallas Page

Quote:

Not that he gets to celebrate for long.....because the Enforcer is out from the back, nightstick in hand to nail Page right in the ribs......Levesque doesn’t sell the Diamond Cutter for long (obviously) and is soon back to his feet to join in on the three on two assault of DDP and Benoit......until suddenly the crowd erupts.......

......because Sting is out.....and he’s standing in the entrance way, bat in hand......

......not that he looks particularly happy about having to make the save......but at least Page and Benoit haven’t been going out of their way to help him after his little “leave me alone” speech a month or so back......he also appears to be checking behind him for someone.....and since The Warrior is nowhere to be seen, you’ve got to assume he’s wondering where he is......

......eventually he’s seen enough......and while he doesn’t exactly run, he certainly walks briskly to the ring, where he nails Bagwell in the kidneys with the bat, holding off Levesque and Traylor just long enough for Benoit and Page to regain their composure long enough for the pair to get back into the fight.......as the two men brawl all the way to the back with Levesque and Bagwell, leaving Sting and Traylor all alone to focus on their match......which is up next.

Quote:

VS.

So it’s Sting against Ray Traylor......The Enforcer, The Big Bossman, Big Bubba, The Boss, The Guardian Angel......damn, this guys had more gimmicks than Brutus Beefcake......anyway......Russo is looking for Traylor to take Sting apart here tonight after taking the pinfall last week that granted Sting and The Warrior their shot at Hogan and Savage at Road Wild.......Russo is going to be disappointed......because he ate the loss tonight too......after Sting dropped him on his head with the Scorpion Death Drop.

Winner: Sting

Quote:

Sting picks up the victory.....but his music is cut off by the arrival of Vince Russo, who makes his way out on the ramp......he’s not happy, telling Traylor to get his ass to the back, he’ll deal with him later, before turning to Sting......he tells the Stinger that he must be feeling pretty pleased with himself......he got the win last week......he got the win tonight......and he and Warrior have got The Mega Powers of Professional Wrestling at Road Wild.......

”......well I’ve got news for ya bro.....that’s where your fairy tail comes to an end......because you might THINK you want Hogan.....you might THINK you want Savage......but what you don’t understand bro, is that you simply can’t hang with the Mega Powers of Professional Wrestling......and Hollywood and The Macho Man, they’re gonna year you apart......”

“........is that right?.......you mean like Ray Traylor tore me apart just now?.......I tell you what, since you’re so confident there.....how about you put your money where your mouth is........and at Road Wild......if I pin Hogan......if I make him submit.......Hogan, not Savage.......if I beat the WCW Champion.......I get Hogan next month......and I get a shot at that World Title.......”

......the crowd pops for that.....Russo doesn’t look convinced however.......and Sting sees it too, asking him what’s the matter, not so confident after all?......Russo weighs the options up for a minute, before regaining his cocky composure, telling Sting he’s on.......

”......if by some miracle you can beat the biggest icon in professional wrestling, Hollywood Hogan in that match......then you get a shot at the title.......BUT.......but bro, if Hollywood Hogan beats YOU......then you don’t get a shot at that title for as long as it’s around Hollywood’s waist......and believe me, that’s going to be for quite some time......”

......Sting doesn’t take quite as long as Russo to answer.....but he still pauses for a beat before finally agreeing........to which Russo looks surprisingly happy......telling Sting that he just made the biggest mistake of his life......because it’s not just Him and Hogan out there......it’s Savage and The Warrior too......and The Warrior......he might not be in any condition to help......

”.....after all, it’s like they always say.....if you want something done right, do it yourself......”

.......with that the big screen, the Turnertron if you will flickers to life.......to show Hollywood Hogan and The Macho Man standing over the seemingly unconscious body of The Warrior somewhere in the back......Hogan starts cackling like a madman, telling Sting that he’s just signed his own death warrant.....because at Road Wild, he’s going to find out exactly what the Warrior Dude just found out.......and that’s the fact that you just don’t mess with the Mega Powers of Professional Wrestling jack......

.......Savage pulls out a can of spray paint, proceeding to spray T.o.W across the massive back of the Warrior in black paint.....as the show comes to an end on a close up of Sting’s now worried expression.....just 13 days away from Road Wild.

Final Rating: B

Last edited by to4sty : 05-07-2018 at 07:12 AM.