Unread 05-28-2018, 05:22 AM
Major League

Week 3, August 1997
Rupp Arena (Lexington, Kentucky)
ATT: 15,287
TV: 18.83
Announce Team: Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan and Mike Tenay

Quote:

We are just one day removed from a monumental Road Wild event.....an event that saw debut's....that saw triumph.....that saw tragedy......and yes, that saw betrayal......and before the opening credits even roll we have a black limousine pulling up into the parking lot......and one by one, the Titans of Wrestling make their grand entrance, as Vince Russo, Hollywood Hogan (with the WCW Championship draped over his shoulder) Macho Man Randy Savage, Jean Paul Levesque, The Enforcer Ray Traylor and the Nasty Boys, all climb out one by one......and as all seven exit the vehicle, Russo turns to the open door.....telling an unseen passenger to wait there......because they have a special entrance planned just for him.........before the group walk off full of smiles and head into the building, as the Monday Nitro Credits finally roll.......

Rating: N/A

Quote:

.......and as soon as the title credits finish, we have a series of still images from last night.......Curt Hennig's Pay Per View debut and victory over Ray Traylor......Mike Awesome and Gideon Cain's huge victory in the triangle tag match, followed by the Titans subsequent assault of Lex Luger and the Giant......the Road Warriors successful Title defence, Eddie Guerrero's successful title defence, along with the debuts of both Lance Storm and Rikishi Fatu......before finally we get shots of the betrayal heard round the world......as the Warrior became the latest in a very long list of men to stab Sting in the back........before we go down to our announce team (with Bobby Heenan now subbing for the new WCW Commissioner Eric Bischoff) who once again briefly run down last nights show, before Tony Schiavone condemns the Warrior, who after weeks and months of trying to enlist the elusive Sting in the fight against the Titans of Wrestling, turned his back on not only Sting.....not only the fans.....but all of World Championship Wrestling, when he last night aligned himself with that very that very group.....

.......and speaking of the Titans of Wrestling....here they are....as the group makes their way out from the back, looking particularly pleased with themselves after the results of last nights main event.....Mr Russo takes a microphone, and says that as always, everything is coming up roses for the Titans of Wrestling......

".......we've got the greatest icons in professional wrestling.....and we've got the greatest prize in professional wrestling, the WCW Championship.....and after last night, Sting...bro....that's a prize that you'll never be competing for again.....because as long as that belt is around Hollywood's waist, no one....not me.....not Bischoff.....not the old farts on the Championship committee......no one....will be granting you a title shot again......and believe me when I tell you, Hollywood ain't planning on losing that belt any time soon......especially when he's got the back up that he does........"

.....the Titans all laugh at that, with Hogan even pumping his arms up and down Warrior style, before Russo continues......he says that he's made it pretty clear that to be a member of this elite group, not only do you have to EARN your place, but you have to continue to prove that you deserve to be rubbing shoulders with the greatest of the great.......

".......and last night.....not everybody did that......Ray Traylor.....I wanted the head of Curt Hennig last night.....the man embarrassed me.....he embarrassed Hollywood.....he embarrassed all of us, when he double crossed us like the snake he is and aligned himself with Eric Bischoff and WCW........I wanted his head and you went and lost to him.......fortunately for you you're the Enforcer.....and as such get a little leeway around here.....which is why you get to make amends tonight.......because after you did what you do best during his match with Mr. Levesque here last night, Chris Benoit apparently wants YOU tonight.......you take care of that little problem.....you show me.....show US.....exactly why you're the Enforcer.....and you'll be good to go bro......

......Russo then turns to the Nasty Boys.....telling them that Traylor wasn't the only one to fail last night.......they were supposed to be bringing the WCW Tag Team Titles home to the Titans.....

".......but I sure as sh!t don't see no titles around your waists.....I told you what would happen if you didn't home the gold.......I told you.....EVERYONE is replaceable......and if you're not pulling your weight, then what use are you?......"

.....with that the rest of the Titans surround the now nervous looking Nasty Boys......who quickly begin trying to talk themselves out of this little hole that they've dug.....they tell Russo to wait a minute.....saying that the only reason the lost last night, was because they were doing Titan business.....they were in the back with Traylor, showing Luger and the Giant what happens when you badmouth Hollywood......and the Road Warriors jumped them from behind.....Knobbs says that he was smashed in the face with a motorcycle helmet before the match even started.....it wasn't their fault.......

"......wasn't your fault? Bro if there's one thing we don't have room for here in the Titans of Wrestling......it's losers......but a whiner is even worse than a loser.......I'll tell you what though....since tonight is a night of celebration for us.....and since I'm in a particularly generous mood......I'm gonna give you two bozo's ONE more chance......next week, live on Monday Nitro.....it's gonna be the Road Warriors, putting the WCW Tag Team Titles on the line against the Nasty Boys.......and since you DID get your skull bashed in with a motorcycle helmet last night, let's make it interesting......let's make it.....a Street Fight.....anything goes.....winner takes all......but I promise you now bro.....you don't deliver the Tag Team Titles next week, then the Road Warriors will be the LEAST of your problems......"

.....now that the unpleasant business is taken care of, Russo says it's onto more pleasant matters.....and that is the arrival of the NEWEST Titan.....and the man that made sure Sting would never be granted a shot at Hollywoods title again.....

".....ladies and gentlemen, the Titans of Wrestling proudly bring to you.......the man......the myth.....the icon...................the Warrior......."

.......and as the Warriors music begins to play......here he comes........

......except this isn't the Warrior we are used to seeing......gone is the colourful face paint, replaced with a more simplified black and white design.....gone are the colourful airbrushed trunks and knee pads......instead he has a pair of long black tights on (similar to Hollywood's) with the word "Warrior" written in white down each leg.....he still has the arm and boot tassels, but again, it's a black and white theme.......but that's not the biggest difference.....the biggest difference is his entrance in general......because he's not bursting out of the back at a thousand miles an hour.......he's not tearing down the aisle and shaking the ropes like a mad man......he simply walks out onto the entrance way, surrounded by an explosion of pyros......before slowly and methodically walking down the aisle, completely ignoring the jeering fans either side of him.......before climbing into the ring where he shakes hands with Russo.....before embracing Hogan and Savage......and taking the microphone from Russo......he still has some of the Warrior ramblings about him, but he's far less "out there" than usual......

.......he tells Sting that in this human game of chess that is professional wrestling, he was nothing more than a Pawn who thought he was a King......he says that once.....long, long ago.....he and Sting were equals.....but while The Warrior went on to reign supreme in the land of the giants, Sting was happy to settle for mediocrity, thinking himself a big fish in a very little pond.......which was fine......until the Megalodon's of Professional Wrestling arrived.....

.......he asks Sting if he truly believed a star of the Warriors size would be happy to represent a second rate, inferior promotion like WCW for the sake of pride?......Warrior is here for one reason and one reason only.......Money.......and Vince Russo and the Titans of Wrestling is where the money is.......he is a Warrior......and Warriors should surround themselves with greatness, not mediocrity.....and this in the ring right here.....this is greatness......Warrior says that last night alone he heard many men claiming that they were coming for the Titans of Wrestling......well let them come.....come one....come all.....because all will bow down.....at the feet of the Titans of Wrestling.

Rating: A*

Quote:

VS.

WCW Television Title Match; Special 30 Minute Time Limit;
Blue Bloods Barred from Ringside

Well......his Lordship won't be too happy about this......after last nights time limit draw with Rick Martel, Steven Regal assured the veteran that he had had his last shot at the gold.....apparently however, Eric Bischoff and the Championship Committee feel differently....and have booked this Title match tonight, even going so far as to waive the usual ten minute time limit to thirty minutes, while also barring Earl Robert and The Duke from ringside too.....there really is no escape here tonight for Regal......or so you would think.........

.....because at around the 15 minute mark, after a hard fought battle, Martel manages to lock in the Boston Crab......and it looks as though his Lordships reign is going to be coming to an abrupt end.......when Lance Storm once again makes his way down the aisle.....and after his brutal attack last night, Martel is obviously not too pleased to see him, relinquishing the hold to turn his attention to the WCW newcomer....which, when he clearly had this match won, was a little bit of a stupid mistake......because Regal quickly rolled him up from behind, grabbing hold of the ropes for good measure for the win out of nowhere.

Winner: ....and Still WCW Television Champion......Lord Steven Regal
Rating: B

Quote:

Regal quickly collects his Television Title and heads to the back with a very smug look on his face......that's three shots Martel has had at the title now, there's no way he'll get another anytime soon......and by the look of disappointment on Martel's face, he knows it too.....he watches Regal (and his hopes of becoming the Television Champion) disappear up the aisle, before turning to face a very serious looking Lance Storm......

.....he grabs a microphone, telling Storm that he doesn't know what his problem is, and he might have JUST wrestled a match.....but he can take five minutes out of his schedule to teach young Lance a thing or two about respect....and if that's what he wants, all he has to do is climb into this ring......Storm shakes his head however......he says Martel is right, he JUST wrestled.....and lost....a match.....and when Lance Storm steps into that ring with Martel, he doesn't want the old man making any excuses when he's forced to submit to the Canadian Maple Leaf.....

.....he says they WILL have a match.....but it won't be tonight.....before turning and walking to the back, leaving Martel with double the frustrations.

Rating: B-

Quote:

VS.

Next up we have Gideon Cain, fresh off a huge victory last night with partner Mike Awesome, where they were victorious in the triangle tag team match.....and while winning a triangle match in itself is impressive enough, when you factor in the fact that their four opponents were Lex Luger, The Giant, Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow, it's REALLY impressive.....

....this is Cain's first outing in singles competition here in WCW......and his opponent?.....the Warlord of all people......I guess with the bald head and goatee, this was maybe WCW's attempt to capitalise on the popularity of Stone Cold Steve Austin......only problem with that, is the Warlord ain't no Steve Austin.....and while he does have possibly the finest chemically enhanced muscles money can buy, he's also no match for Missy's Monster.....who nails The Warlord with a move billed as the 'East of Eden' an inverted facelock spun out into a cutter....(that's a Cross Rhodes to you and me.....that or a Roll of the Dice)....which is more than enough to put the big Warlord down for the three count.

Winner: Gideon Cain
Rating: C-

Quote:

Mean Gene makes his way out, and joins Missy, Mike Awesome and Gideon Cain in the ring.....they talk briefly about the huge victory from last night, with Missy telling Gene that last night, her men proved without a shadow of a doubt, that size really does matter......and there are no better big men here in WCW than Mike Awesome and Gideon Cain......and if Gene doesn't believe her, then all he has to do is order the encore presentation of Road Wild, and he can watch Awesome and Cain wipe the floor with four former World Champions all over again.....

Speaking of Road Wild, Gene tells us to call the Hotline now (1-900-909-9900.....kids, get your parents permission) because he's got all the results right there in option one.....before asking Missy what's next for Gideon Cain and Mike Awesome?.....

".......what's next?....why Gene, isn't that obvious?.....what's next is whatever Gideon Cain and Mike Awesome WANT next......maybe they want to take on the big bad Road Warriors for the WCW Tag Titles......maybe Gideon Cain wants that Television Title......maybe that United States Title would look pretty good around Mike Awesome's waist......or maybe, just maybe, they go after the biggest Dogs in the yard.....because that WCW Championship is awful pretty don'tcha think Gene? And Missy does like her pretty things.......one things for sure though.....when Mike Awesome and Gideon Cain want something......they ALWAYS get it......"

.......Missy tells Gene to keep his eyes peeled, and he'll see soon enough, just what's next for her boys.

Rating: B+

Quote:

VS.

Our next match sees Bill Goldberg in action....as he looks to continue his path of dominance through World Championship Wrestling, and THIS week his victim is the partner of the individual Goldberg ran through LAST week, that being Pierre Carl Oulette's Amazing French Canadian team mate, Jacques Rougeau......

......Rougeau is what you could call a veteran around here, and while he is predominantly a tag team wrestler, he's certainly had more singles matches than his rookie opponent.....thing is, while Bill Goldberg HAS only had a handful of matches, he's won every single one of them.....and in decisive fashion too.....and unsurprisingly, the Mountie isn't the one to put an end to his streak....as Goldberg finishes him off in the usual fashion....quickly, with the the Spear and Jackhammer......your winner, Bill Goldberg.

Winner: Bill Goldberg
Rating: D+

Quote:

Another week, another win, as Bill Goldberg continues to show the world that rookie or not, it's going to take something special to put a stop to this juggernaut......well, something special OR a cheap shot with a chair.....because the Amazing French Canadians are clearly unhappy that they have BOTH lost to Goldberg in back to back efforts, with Pierre coming rushing down the aisle with a steel chair, that he crashes across the back of the rookie.....

......not that it seems to phase him.....nor does a second shot from Jacques.....a third staggers him slightly......and a fourth shot finally drops him to one knee for a second, before he bursts back to his feet with an animalistic roar.....he turns to face his attackers, but the former Quebeckers have disappeared up the aisle and rush to the back.....they appear to be happy enough with knocking the rookie down to one knee for now.....while Goldberg appears to be anything but happy......Jacques and Pierre may well live to regret the day they decided to start poking this bear.

Rating: D+

Quote:

Goldberg heads to the back, with the commentary team asking what can put this man down, and Eddie Guerrero makes his way out......he's got the United States Championship around his waist and a microphone in hand, as he lets the crowd know that this is WCW holmes.....

"......this is where the big boys play esè......and you wanna play with Eddie Guerrero......you want a shot at MY United States title, then you'd better earn it......."

......Eddie says that he EARNED this title, earned it by winning an eight man tournament.....and now some fat Samoan is just gonna walk in here and get handed a title shot on day one? Just because he's part of the Anoa’i tribe?....

"......big deal esè, if you're gonna start handing out title shots because people have family, you may as well give Brad Armstrong a shot too holmes.....hell, his wrinkled old daddy is in the back too, you wanna give Bullet Bob a shot at my belt too Eric Bischoff?....."

.....Eddie says that if Rikishi Fatu is going to get a shot at the US Title, then he needs to prove himself....which is why Eddie has arranged a little debut match for him right here tonight.....

......that brings the man himself out from the back, with a slightly amused look on his face....he climbs into the ring with a microphone of his own.....he asks Eddie what he's been smoking?...

".....prove myself? Brother I've been doing this for twelve years......I've wrestled for every company worth wrestling for.....won Championships everywhere I've been......what you want me to prove I don't know, but if you got a match for me, then send them out and let's do it....."

.......Eddie says he may have won TAG team gold everywhere he's been, but this is the United States title, and he ain't gonna have a partner in there to watch his back......so let's see just how good of a singles wrestler he really is.......and since he's so proud of his heritage, Eddie has found another Island boy to face off against.......one he knows quite well actually......because he's teamed with him before......

.....The Barbarian.....

Quote:

VS.

.....and as Eddie takes up residence at the announce booth, Rikishi's former (brief) Headshrinker partner makes his way out from the back with manager Jimmy Hart.....Rikishi doesn't look overly pleased at the prospect of facing someone that he obviously considered a friend, but Barbarian doesn't care about sentimental things like that.....he's here to fight....

.....and a fight it is....as these two big bulls hammer into one another.....they've both got that stereotypical Samoan Skull, so a battle of the headbutts doesn't have the effect that either man is used too.....in fact it leaves the pair both dazed......

.....the Barbarian is certainly no pushover, in fact Guerrero on commentary questions whether Fatu will even be in any condition to face him come Fall Brawl......obviously however we aren't going to debut a new star with a loss.....and as Barb comes off the top with a diving headbutt, Rikishi rolls out of the way, leaving the big man to crash into the mat....and as he staggers back to his feet Big Kish catches him with a Samoan Drop, which is just enough to give the newcomer the victory here.

Winner: Rikishi Fatu
Rating: C+

Quote:

Eddie is furious that the Barbarian wasn't able to get the job done here tonight, which Tony Schiavone finds highly amusing.....Eddie tells him that he'll be laughing on the other side of his face if he carries on......before telling him that a Guerrero always has a plan b....before snatching up his Championship and storming to the back as Rikishi celebrates his victory in the ring.....and we go to a commercial for Fall Brawl.

Rating: B-

Quote:

VS.

It's time for Brad Armstrong (who's not seen this much to time since 1992) to make his way down the aisle to that sweet entrance music.....everyone should probably take the time to appreciate it however, because coming in is probably the only time we're going to hear it tonight.....why? Well his opponent is big Scott Norton....and do you really see Brad Armstrong beating Flash? No me neither......which is why Norton is able to poor Brad away with a crushing Shoulderbreaker for the one, two, three......which should hopefully improve Norton's standing with the crowd a little bit, because surprisingly Armstrong is actually viewed as the bigger star of the pair......your winner, Scott "Flash" Norton

Winner: Scott Norton
Rating: C+

Quote:

It's time to dust the mothballs off Mean Gene again, because he's backstage with Curt Hennig, who was victorious last night in his match with The Enforcer Ray Traylor.....Gene says that's a dq victory over WCW Champion Hollywood Hogan, and a pinfall victory over Ray Traylor in the space of a week.....that's got to be considered a pretty perfect start to his WCW career......

......Hennig disagrees however.....saying a perfect start would be if he had the WCW Title wrapped around his waist right now.....he says he knows that he's only just arrived here, and there are a LOT of people gunning for Hollywood Hogan and the Titans of Wrestling....but the way he sees it, no one deserves the next shot at the gold more than him.....

......Gene says that's a bold statement considering the laundry list of stars lining up for a shot at Hogan.....Luger, The Giant, Diamond Dallas Page.....Chris Benoit.....the list goes on and on....Hennig cuts him off right there......he says all of those men are great athletes.....BUT, with all due respect......

"......how many of them already hold a victory over Hogan? Lex Luger? Last shot he had at Hogan finished with him flat on his back.....Diamond Dallas Page has been busy losing to Eddie Guerrero and beating wannabe Titans like Buff Bagwell......Chris Benoit couldn't even beat Levesque......and the Giant, he's more concerned about proving what a big man he is than focusing on Hogan.......that leaves ME.....I beat Hogan once, I can do it again.....and this time, I'm gonna take the title too....."

Quote:

VS.

Curt Hennig is right, the last time we saw Chris Benoit he WAS losing to Jean Paul Levesque.....and tonight's opponent, Ray Traylor, was a big part of that loss.....which is exactly why Benoit has requested this match tonight.....

....if Benoit wants to move up the card, and EVER have a chance of stepping between the ropes with a Hollywood Hogan or a Macho Man, then he's going to have to start picking some victories up here against the Titan big boys, and Ray Traylor would be a great place to start.....the under pressure Enforcer of the Titans, who's already on thin ice with Vince Russo here....should Benoit manage to not only defeat Traylor tonight, but cost him his place in the Titans in the process, then that would lay some real credibility at his feet......the problem with that, is life's never that simple.......

.....especially when you have men like this one....Buff Bagwell.....keen to prove his worth to Hogan and Russo to possibly earn himself a spot in that elite group.....and he's out here tonight, nailing Benoit right in the kidneys with Traylors nightstick as Benoit is running the ropes......and if the kidney shot wasn't bad enough, the Enforcer (Sidewalk) Slam that followed it was more than enough to grant Traylor an important victory here this evening.

Winner: Ray Traylor

Quote:

And Benoit's night is about to go from bad to worse.....because Traylor and Buff don't appear to be finished.....it's time to make an example......and Benoit is the sacrificial lamb......the Titan and Titan in Training proceed to beat the holy hell out of a helpless Benoit, who looks to be in big trouble here.......

......at least until Diamond Dallas Page comes sprinting down the aisle, fighting off both Bagwell and Traylor long enough for Benoit to regain his faculties and re-join the fight, as the pair send the two would be attackers packing.....

......Page grabs a microphone and tells the retreating duo to go running back to Russo, and give him a message from DDP.....

"......you tell him....AND Hollywood "Scum" Hogan....that Diamond Dallas Page is coming for that WCW Title.......I don't care who thinks I can't do it.....I don't care who doubts me.....because I don't doubt me......and I KNOW that if I get into that ring with Hogan.....he WILL.....feel.....the.....BANG!......"

Rating: A (yeah....I don't know why that's graded so strongly either)

Quote:

VS.

So it's main event time, and its Lex Luger and the Giant, joining forces against two men that HAVE teamed in the past.....but it was way back in 1992 that the Mega Maniacs last shared a ring as partners, but tonight the Macho Man and The Warrior are riding again......although THIS Savage and Warrior are very different to their 1992 counterparts.....as the Warrior takes his first steps into the land of the heels.....and step he does.....because much like earlier this evening there is no running down the aisle.....there is no shaking the ropes for the excitement of the fans.....if anything the Warrior completely ignores the crowd, almost as if he sees them so beneath him, that they don't even warrant his attention.....

......Lex Luger made it perfectly clear last night that he has his sights firmly set on the Titans of Wrestling.....and more precisely, Hollywood Hogan.....surely a victory here would take him one step closer to making his dream a reality......and considering the men involved, this is a damn good match.....clearly the crowd are hot to see the turncoat Warrior get his comeuppance......unfortunately, they are going to have to keep waiting.....because obviously keen to show everyone his brand new mean (i.e cheating) streak, and with the help of another Buff Bagwell distraction at ringside.....he almost knocks Luger out cold with a steel chair shot, leaving him easy pickings for a Macho Man Flying Elbow, giving the Titans of Wrestling an important victory here tonight.

Winner(s): Randy Savage & The Warrior
Rating: B+

Quote:

No sooner has the bell rung, than the rest of the Titans of Wrestling make their way out....Vince Russo included.....and along with Buff Bagwell, it takes all eight wrestlers to finally take the Giant out of the equation, beating him back towards the ropes, where they wrap him up Andre the Giant style between the top and middle rope....

......Hollywood grabs a microphone, as the rest of the Titans pull out spray cans......telling everyone in the back to take a good hard look at what's about to happen to these two men......because he's hearing a lot of talk from people wanting a shot at Hollywood.......and THIS is what happens, when you think you can hang with the champ, brother.......

.....they flip Luger onto his front and Warrior bends down to do the honours.......he doesn't get chance however.....

.......because the party is rudely interrupted by the arrivals of Curt Hennig, Diamond Dallas Page, Chris Benoit, and the WCW Tag Team Champions, The Road Warriors.....the five men burst out of the back and down the aisle, where they hit the Titans (and Bagwell) head on.....it's five against eight however, so the odds are hardly in their favour.....at least until Luger gets back to his feet, freeing a VERY angry Giant from the ropes in the process.....and have you ever seen an angry Giant? Let's just say that even though Hogan and his group have a one man advantage, they are still outnumbered by the score of one p!ssed off Giant.....and it's not long until the Titans have bid a hasty retreat back up the aisle, where they gather on the entrance ramp........

........where Eric Bischoff comes marching straight through the middle of them and down to the ring......he grabs a microphone and addresses the WCW contingent in the ring first, saying it's good to see them getting along.....because they're going to need that unity......

".....see Vince Russo....you're pretty new around here, so this is something you may not know, but Fall Brawl is right around the corner.....and we have kind of a tradition around these parts.....and you KNOW how important tradition is to these fans......which is why at Fall Brawl, it's going to be Lex Luger.....The Giant......Curt Hennig.....Diamond Dallas Page..........and Chris Benoit......facing off against Hollywood Hogan......Randy Savage......The Warrior......Jean Paul Levesque......and since he's so keen on involving himself in your business recently......Buff Bagwell.........."

"........oh sorry, two more things......ONE, since we appear to be a little crowded on the Challenger front, should team WCW win, then the man who secures the victory will be named the number one contender to YOUR WCW title Mr. Hogan........

"..........and two.......that match.........at Fall Brawl.........it's going to be WAR GAMES!!!....."

.....the Titans are NOT happy with that announcement at all, with Russo and Hogan screaming at Bischoff that he can't do that.....to which Bischoff replies he can....and he has....the match is set....and at Fall Brawl the Titans of Wrestling will be going into the match beyond....goodnight folks.

Rating: A

Final Rating: B+