View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2016, 03:03 PM
All Star

Default March and April 2001: Preparing for Rebirth

The previous regime already had a blueprint ready to go for the final Nitro on TNT, titled 'The Night of Champions', and I left those plans largely in place. The only significant change I made was to drop the Cruiserweight tag team title match from the show. I made the call to eliminate that division entirely. I appreciate the different flavor the cruiserweight division can bring and hope to rebuild it to its former glory, but we barely have enough quality teams to support our standard tag division, much less an additional one that comes with weight restrictions.

I've made it clear to my assembled team of advisers that we're going to be shifting how we present things from bell to bell. We're going to adopt more of a back to basics approach to our in-ring product and present it as a more realistic, pure style of wrestling. There will still be room for our aerial wrestlers to do their thing, but guys with subpar skills who try to skate by on popularity and charisma are likely going to suffer. The new WCW will focus more on in-ring performance than popularity. As I see it, Vince offers the sizzle--we'll offer the steak.

After the final Nitro of the Turner era on March 26th, we set a target date of April 30th to return to the air. The following month was spent almost exclusively in negotiations with a series of broadcasters from all around the globe. It was a very productive month. We secured coverage for not only Nitro but also our monthly PPV events in nearly every area we set our sights on. The only major area that we could not find a suitable partner for was my home of Canada, ironically enough. Hopefully we'll be able to figure something out there soon enough, but for now I'm pleased with what we've been able to put together.

One benefit I hadn't anticipated came about because most WCW employees were actually contracted to Turner itself rather than WCW. Because of that I was under no obligation to take on the contract of anyone I didn't want, which meant that the likes of Nash and Sid were left in the dust where they belong.

With my eye on the future, I intend to bring in plenty of new blood very soon. Some will pop up on our programming right away, while others will be sent to our partner NWA: Wildside for more seasoning first. Because we rightly prioritized negotiating with broadcasters first, no new talent will be signed and ready to go when Nitro premieres on FX and various international stations, but I do have some feelers out there.

This is how our roster looks heading into our grand relaunch:

Hall of Champions:

World Heavyweight Champion:

Booker T (4th reign)

Won: March 26th, 2001 from Scott Steiner on WCW Monday Nitro

Previous Champions (since March 2001):
None

United States Heavyweight Champion:

Booker T

Won: March 18th, 2001 from Rick Steiner at WCW Greed

None

Cruiserweight Champion:

"Sugar" Shane Helms

Won: March 18th, 2001 from Chavo Guerrero Jr. at WCW Greed

None

World Tag Team Champions:

The Natural Born Thrillers (Chuck Palumbo and Sean O'Haire) (4th reign for Palumbo, 3rd for O'Haire, 1st as a team)

Won: January 14th, 2001 from Kevin Nash and Diamond Dallas Page at WCW Sin

None

Roster Breakdown:

Quote:
Main Event:
Booker T (World Heavyweight Champion and United States Heavyweight Champion)
Diamond Dallas Page
Dustin Rhodes
Sting

Buff Bagwell
Jeff Jarrett
Kanyon
Lex Luger
Ric Flair
Rick Steiner
Scott Steiner
Quote:
Upper Midcard:
Alex Wright
Bam Bam Bigelow
Chuck Palumbo (World Tag Team Champion)
Hugh Morrus
Konnan
Sean O'Haire (World Tag Team Champion)

Lance Storm
Mike Awesome
Road Warrior Animal
Shane Douglas
Quote:
Midcard:
Big Vito
Billy Kidman
Ernest Miller
Johnny the Bull
Kaz Hayashi
Norman Smiley
Rey Misterio Jr.
Shane Helms (Cruiserweight Champion)
Yang

Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Disco Inferno
Fit Finlay
Mark Jindrak
Mike Sanders
Shawn Stasiak
Quote:
Lower Midcard:
Jamie Knoble
Jason Jett
M.I. Smooth

Alan Funk
Elix Skipper
Evan Karagis
Kid Romeo
Shannon Moore
Quote:
Opener:
Air Paris
AJ Styles
Lash Leroux

Cash
Reno
Quote:
Enhancement Talent:
Chris Harris
James Storm
Johnny Swinger
Quote:
Occasional Wrestler:
Jim Duggan
Quote:
Manager:
Miss Jones
Torrie Wilson

Midajah
Stacy Keibler
Quote:
Announcer:
Mike Tenay
Quote:
Color Commentator:
Bret Hart
Stevie Ray

Bobby Heenan
Quote:
Road Agent:
Arn Anderson
Dusty Rhodes
Quote:
Personality:
Gene Okerlund
Quote:
Out Injured:
Booker T
Brian Adams
Bryan Clark
Vampiro
Hell Raiser (Rehab)
Quote:
In Developmental::
David Flair
Quote:
Creative Meeting:

Franchise Players:
1. Sting
2. Ric Flair
3. Diamond Dallas Page
4. Booker T
5. Scott Steiner

Next Big Things:
1. AJ Styles
2. Johnny Swinger

Hot Prospects:
1. Rey Misterio Jr.
2. AJ Styles
3. Johnny the Bull
4. Mark Jindrak
5. Yang

Talk the Talk:
1. Ric Flair
2. Dusty Rhodes
3. Diamond Dallas Page
4. Sting
5. Booker T

Show Stoppers:
1. Rey Misterio Jr.
2. Ric Flair
3. Booker T
4. Sting
5. Scott Steiner

Ring Generals:
1. Ric Flair
2. Rey Misterio Jr.
3. Lance Storm
4. Fit Finlay
5. Sting

Who's Hot:
1. Booker T
2. Shane Helms
3. Diamond Dallas Page
4. Scott Steiner
5. Chuck Palumbo

Who's Not:
1. Shannon Moore
2. Johnny the Bull
3. Alex Wright
4. Road Warrior Animal
5. Norman Smiley

Time Decline:
1. Ric Flair
2. Lex Luger
3. Jim Duggan
4. Sting
5. Diamond Dallas Page

Hidden Gems:
1. CM Punk
2. John Cena
3. Nova
4. Ken Anderson
5. Steve Corino

Wow, I'm blown away by all of the comments already! Especially considering all I'd done was post a short introduction. Hopefully I can meet your expectations (and mine.)

I'll be trying something a little different here, specifically with regards to how I present TV shows. Rather than post a write-up of each week of TV as it happens, I'm going to use a single post to recap the major events and storylines that lead into the PPV, with a very bare-bones presentation of the results from the actual shows below that. When I say bare-bones, I mean like a single sentence for each segment; not much more detail than you'd get from reading in-game results from an AI company. The PPVs themselves will get a full writeup, with detailed descriptions and pictures and all that jazz. We'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping it'll work out well.

Last edited by The Final Countdown : 07-19-2017 at 11:42 AM.