Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Low Minors

Default The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread

.....OH, COME ON! I just thought with Adam working on the upcoming Comic Book Hero that it'd be appropriate to start up a discussion thread centered on, well, comic books. Anything goes. DC, Marvel, other big names, and if you could please drop in some indies as well.

I guess I'll start off with this:

Hello, Miles Morales. Or should I just strictly refer to you as "The New Ultimate Spiderman"?

New Biracial Spider-Man Causes Controversy on the Web

Honestly, I don't really seem the least bit fazed by this. It caught me off-guard a little, but seeing that this guy only exists in the alternate "Ultimate" universe, it wasn't much of a big deal for me to be spazzing out pissed about like I notice some die-hards are at the moment. What about your takes on the matter?
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM
All Star

Huh. I was certain that there were a comic thread already...

Anyway, Colbert's response to the black/hispanic Spidey thing is hilarious:
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...rshare_twitter

Does anyone really care about the Ultimate universe, though? And are the people complaining actually complaining about the ethnicity of this new Spidey, or over the fact that they killed off and replaced beloved Peter Parker? There's a huge difference.
Unread 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Star

[quote=Hive;1682895]Huh. I was certain that there were a comic thread already...

LOL there is.

But as to this new guy.Well its a alternet universe so don't really phase me much.But you know how die hard fans can be.

Like when the last Star Trek movie came out some die hard's were screaming foul ball way before the movie even came out.
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:21 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike b View Post
Like when the last Star Trek movie came out some die hard's were screaming foul ball way before the movie even came out.
I waited untill I actually saw the movie before I complained about it. Terrible, terrible decision to retcon away nearly 50 years of Star Trek history... and I doubt I'll be watching any new movies in this franchise. But that's OT...
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Super Star

Hey i liked it lol.
Unread 08-07-2011, 04:59 AM
All Star

Quote:
Hey i liked it lol.
Have you watched every single episode of TNG, DS9 and VOY like geeky me? ~8 seasons of ~22 episodes of ~45 min each times 3... only to have JJ Abrams come tell me "lolz none of that ever happened, that entire universe with all those beloved characters you have grown fond of are hereby whiped from existance!!!!"...
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Super Star

Actually yes i have. I'M a geek to in sci fi

Enterprise series by me was worst but its Star Trek lol there is no continuity.

Have you ever read the novels,Great Examples.I have read 3 diff versions of how Kirk dies lol. If Gene was still alive you can bet there would be continuity.

On a side note have you read the mirror image novel series by Shatner? if not you should its a must read and whoever the ghostwriter was really really new his star trek history.
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:28 AM
Hall of Fame

My view of replacing Peter Parker in the Ultimate Universe is this;

The Ultimate Universe has been decimated recently. Look at the list of dead characters *SPOILERS IN CASE*

Angel (Worthington III, Warren) - dead
Beast (McCoy, Henry "Hank") - dead
Ben Parker (dead)
Bishop - dead
Blob (real name Fred J. Dukes) - dead
Cannonball (Guthrie, Sam) - dead
Captain America (Rogers, Steve) -dead
Captain Britain (Braddock, Brian) - dead
Captain France (Etherlinck, Hugo) - dead
Captain Italy (Landi, Umberto) - dead
Captain Spain (Fraile, Carlos) - dead
Carnage - dead
Cyclops - dead
Daredevil (Murdock, Matthew "Matt") - dead
Dazzler (Blaire, Allison "Ali") - dead
Deathstrike (Oyama, Yuriko) - dead
Detonator (Gibson, Ricky) - dead
Diablo (Esteban Corazon de Ablo) - dead
Doctor Doom (Van Damme, Victor)- dead
Doctor Strange (Strange, Stephen Junior) - dead
Emma Frost - dead
Enchantress- dead
Fenris (von Strucker, Andrea and Andreas) - dead
Forge (unknown) - dead
Gambit (LeBeau, Remy) - dead
Giant Man / Ant Man / Yellowjacket (Pym, Henry "Hank") - dead
Green Goblin (Osborn, Norman) - dead
Hard-Drive (unknown) - dead
Hobgoblin (Osborn, Harry) - dead
Hurricane (unknown)- dead
John Stacy - dead
Jarvis, Edwin - dead
Jeanne de Wolfe - dead
Juggernaut (Marko, Cain) - dead
Justin Hammer - dead
Kingpin (Fisk, Wilson) - dead
Kaine - dead
Magneto (Lensherr, Erik)- dead
Multiple Man (Madrox, James) - dead
Nightcrawler (Wagner, Kurt)- dead
Nihil - dead
Malachi "The Jellyfish" Kelly - dead
Polaris (Dane, Lorna)(dead)
Proteus (Xavier, David) (dead)
Quicksilver (Lensherr, Pietro) -Dead- Now currently alive.
Red Skull - dead
Scorpion (clone of Peter Parker)(Real name is Mac Gargan) - dead
Sebastian Shaw - dead
Tarantula-dead
Unus (unknown) - dead
Wolverine (Howlett, James "Logan") - dead
Professor X (Xavier, Charles) - dead
Yellowjacket (Ultron) - dead

And after all of that, they have then killed off Peter Parker and replaced him with Miles Morales.. To be honest.. who cares. The Ultimate universe is now so far away from 616 that i cant see that it now matters anymore.
Unread 08-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Super Star

DUDE

Why are so many of the name characters dead. I mean i know this is a alternet story and all that,but...but.

Are they planning on replacing every single one of those with a new person taking on the role or what cause this is just messed up.
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:13 AM
All Star

Quote:
Actually yes i have. I'M a geek to in sci fi

Enterprise series by me was worst but its Star Trek lol there is no continuity.

Have you ever read the novels,Great Examples.I have read 3 diff versions of how Kirk dies lol. If Gene was still alive you can bet there would be continuity.

On a side note have you read the mirror image novel series by Shatner? if not you should its a must read and whoever the ghostwriter was really really new his star trek history.
No I haven't read any novels, nor have I seen the Enterprise show... so I'm just a sub-geek compared to you.
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Hall of Fame

Ultimatum.. Thats why

*Spoilers* by Wikipedia
The series, which was written by Jeph Loeb and illustrated by David Finch, tied in with all other Ultimate titles, and dealt with Magneto's attempts to destroy the world following the apparent deaths of the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver in Ultimates 3

A lot of characters were killed in Magnetos flood. Others killed when Jamie Madrox turned into 10's of 1000s of suicide bombers. Madrox was killed by Wolverine. Wolverine was killed by Magneto. Magneto killed Xavier, Cyclops killed Magneto. Cyclops was unceremoniously assassinated at the end. Angel was eaten by Sabretooth

After the "Ultimatum" storyline, nearly all of the X-Men were killed, and the team disbanded. Mutations were announced as genetic manipulations and not a natural occurance
Unread 08-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
No I haven't read any novels, nor have I seen the Enterprise show... so I'm just a sub-geek compared to you.
Lol i am at a loss for words lol

Another must read is the history of the Star Trek universe. Did you know that the Vulcan's were actually the 2ed race Humans encountered. The 1st were from Alpha Centuri.

That to was changed in the 1st contact movie.

Sheese i guess i am a geek lol
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Phenom

Re-reading Rising Stars. It's an excellent read. Came out about 10 years ago. Lots of things since then have definately used it as an influence I think.
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Low Minors

As I said in the previous comic book thread, I'm somewhat new to comic books but I've soaked up so much information (especially as of late) that I feel like I know about them quite well.

Two weeks ago I got Captain America #1, X-Men: Schism #1 and #2. This week I ordered Captain America #2, X-Men: Schism #3, Daredevil #1 and #2 and the Amazing Spider-Man #666 and #667. I'll probably receive them next wednesday since 3 of them aren't released until next wednesday. Add those to my Walking Dead Book 1 and my collection is finally getting underway.

As for Miles Morales, I'm very interested in seeing what Brian Michael Bendis can deliver. I'm not sure if it's the race of Miles Morales/Spider-Man that's causing controversy or the fact that Peter Parker was killed off. Bold move. I can easily accept a black/hispanic mixed Spider-Man but I have yet to see how good the character is. I've heard many good things about Brian Michael Bendis, but I haven't read any of his work, YET. I've been wanting to get the Ultimate Spider-Man collection, but collecting all the trade paperbacks could be costly.

As for the rest of the Ultimate Universe, not sure I'm all that interested, as most of my focus has been on the original Marvel Universe. Makes me sad though when people claim the Ultimate Universe "doesn't matter". I just see it as place where different creative writers have a place where they can tell THEIR stories without worrying about all the continuity of the Marvel Universe. I'm going to keep an eye on the Ultimate X-Men as well since I'm an X-Men fan. Not sure if my opinion means much since I haven't even read anything form the Ultimate Universe yet, but I just thought I'd share.
Unread 08-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Minor League

The fact that they killed off a great character just so they could kiss as$ and be politically correct says plenty about how idiotic this entire thing is. I have no problem with a new spidey, but every time I see someone think it's a good idea because it's politically correct and "Gives them something", I wanna shove em in front of a train.