Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 07-11-2019, 05:13 AM
GDS Developer

#74: AI releases, new match aims, manager upgrades, picture requirements, eye candy penalties, financial warning mails, venue name size, body type change detail, new language, tag team copying, battle scores

The code that governs how and when the AI makes releases has been totally overhauled to be both more realistic and far faster to process.

Two new match aims, Hardcore and Deathmatch have been introduced to help give more possible content types.

Previously managers could only really be promoted if they were being used in angles; this has been reworked so that their performance at ringside is taken into consideration, allowing for managers to get over and improve their skills even if they're not being specifically used in angles. This makes managers a more useful and evolving part of the game.

Via Options, the user can now set the game to not generate workers unless a suitable picture is found for them. This is useful for those who find pictureless workers a distraction or immersion-breaking.

Companies are no longer penalised for using Eye Candy matches in immediate succession or to a cold crowd if their product means that those sort of matches are a major part of what they are about.

In previous games it was sometimes difficult to spot when a company was in financial trouble until they had already gone bust. There is now the option to be e-mailed whenever a company reaches the stage of getting financial warnings from the bank, making them easier to identify and exploit.

The maximum possible length for venue / location names has been increased from 30 to 75 to allow more real world places to be included. The maximum size of the profile text for each venue has also been increased from 250 to 1000.

When the user is mailed to say that a worker has changed body type the text now specifies what they were before, making it easier for the user to understand whether it is a positive, neutral, or negative change.

With the addition of India as a game area, Hindi has now been added as a new language. This allows the new area to be better simulated.

The editor now allows database makers to copy tag teams, saving time as they no longer need to be filled in by hand each time.

The scores for the monthly area and regional battles are now shown on-screen, giving the user a clearer picture of how close the companies came to each other.
Unread 07-12-2019, 05:41 AM
GDS Developer

#75: The remaining minor features

When viewing a company's history, the user can now order the list by type and rating, date, or attendance. This makes finding things much easier than in the past.

The ability to differentiate between loyalty and the Japanese-style 'true born' has been added, allowing better simulation of reality.

The new Company Info screen, available from the office or child company screen, allows the user the ability to quickly edit basic details such as the name and logo of the company. Previously this would have required the use of the editor and so makes the game more user friendly.

The editor now allows multiple records to be copied at the same time, a change that potentially saves an enormous amount of time for database makers.

Workers can now choose to go away on hiatus during gameplay; previously this was limited to being preset only.

Eye candy based matches are now only limited if the company's product is not based on risque adult content; this allows certain companies to function better.

Workers are now allowed to take multiple crazy and stunt bumps per show; previously this was limited to one per show.

Rather than sit around clogging up the database, older valets / managers who relied on their looks but now have very little to offer will tend to leave the business instead, opening the way for younger talent.

The worker names section of the database has been upgraded and enhanced to include more possible groupings with a finer degree of control.

The owner's 'favours' selection has been moved to the booker's section for better realism, renamed to Hiring Preferences, and the selection has been expanded to allow for a greater degree of accuracy.

The in-built roster sizes that the game uses for calculating the numbers used in a company's hiring and firing dealings have been increased to better simulate reality.

Minimum ages can now be set for when a worker will be able to become an owner or head booker. This allows characters to be given the necessary skills but to not necessarily use them until they've reached an appropriate age, stopping business-minded young wrestlers taking over companies at an absurdly young age.

The files for potential event and TV show names have been combined, significantly cutting the amount of work database makers have to do (by removing duplications) and also allowing TV show names to be divided by gender.

By request, when adding new tag teams the user is automatically shown information on the chosen workers' respective disposition, perception levels, and brands, plus information on any existing tag teams and already-found experience. This removes a lot of clicking, searching, and remembering.

Giving road agents or referees a massive workload on a show will harm their performance due to overwork and stress. This stops players from relying only on one or two people to do everything and forces them to play more realistically. The better at their job they are, the more a worker can handle, and the smaller the company the lower the workload per match.

The 'super predator hiring' feature, where opposing companies can react to human-controlled companies making contract offers to top talent, has been upgraded to be less one-dimensional and to make the AI a little more aggressive about taking on the player(s), especially when they have either a competitive advantage or have a negative relationship.

The age spread used for newly generated workers has been increased so that they are not always going to be in the narrow 18-21 range. This allows for more realistic character generation as older people can get into the business.

The storyline screen now explicitly tells the player when the last advancement and major advancement, if any, happened, giving both the show name and date; this makes it easier to judge which storylines have been neglected.

A sixth user talent, Silver Tongue, has been added, giving the user the ability to talk workers into booking decisions like being unmasked or taking stunt bumps.

User talents have been altered, with a key change being that only successful shows count towards giving the user bonus points, rather than every show as it was in the past. In addition, the user talent screen has been redesigned to be more intuitive and to include everything on one screen.

The maximum length for an event has been expanded from four hours up to a possible eight.

The maximum length for a TV show has been expanded from three hours to four.

End of Phase 1

Seventy five posts in and we've now covered the majority of the 220+ features that have so far been added to the game, so phase 1 of the journal is now complete.

The journal will now take a short hiatus while I complete some other features and get everything set up for the next part. Phase 2 will begin on 29th July and then continue all the way through to release. This second phase will be a 'live journal', meaning that I'll be doing regular posts explaining what's currently being worked on, how the project is progressing in terms of potential release dates, how testing is going, etc.
Unread 07-29-2019, 05:49 AM
GDS Developer

Phase 2 of the developer's journal

#1: Current status of the project and upcoming schedule

At the moment the game is in a good state, with 250+ additions and changes completed and initial basic testing going well. While we're still using an unmodified TEW2016 database that has been converted over, and so not all new features are enabled, the game is stable and is getting very positive reactions from the team. In particular, the new booking and finance systems seem to be working really well and are big step up from the previous game.

The upcoming schedule currently looks like this.

August: This is meant to be the final month for adding new content. Effectively it's going to be an exercise in completing as much of the remaining ideas from the TEW2020 Design Document (the document where all the hundreds of possible ideas and suggestions were logged and outlined) as humanly possible before the end of the month.

September to December: This will see the addition of the 'second wave' of testers; that is, I'll be bringing 3-6 new people on board (*) to provide fresh eyes and to begin initial play-testing of the game. The focus of the project will change, moving from 'adding and upgrading content' to polishing up the new stuff, bug fixing, and adjusting any values that need it. I'll also be starting work on creating the default data so that we can do full testing, filling in the Player's Handbook with all the necessary information that hasn't already been done, and adding in the interface graphics as they arrive. At some point during this period the idea is to also open up threads to allow people to suggest Attributes and Products.

January to March: The hope is to arrive at 2020 with a game that is close to a finished state and with a fully updated database with which to test everything out properly. This will then be the launch of full scale final testing, where we aim to eradicate any remaining bugs and get the trickier elements, like finances, properly adjusted to provide an optimum level of difficulty and realism. We'll also convert over some other TEW2016 databases to make sure that the data converts without issue and that they run pretty well (while taking into account that they won't have some features enabled, naturally). At the same time we'll also be adding in whatever interface graphics are left to do.

April to July: Depending on how testing goes, TEW2020 should be launched sometime in this time frame. It's a large window simply because of the size of the game and the fact that there's so much new content that it's not really possible to gauge how long testing will take. I'm not sure whether we'll be releasing the editor earlier than the game, as we have in the past so that database makers can make an early start, that will depend how things go.

This second phase of the developer's journal will continue all the way through to release, so as we get into 2020 the likely release date should become more apparent and you'll read about it here. The intention is to do 2-3 entries per week, although I may do more or less depending on what's actually going on that week.

For the next few entries, however, we'll mostly be covering the features that have been added since phase one ended.

(*) To recap, I do not accept requests to be testers - anyone who does apply is automatically disqualified from consideration as they clearly don't have very good attention to detail if they didn't bother to read this. People will be selected based on their behaviour on the forum, as obviously if I'm going to be working with someone daily for several months I want to have a fairly good idea that I'll get on with them!
Unread 07-31-2019, 06:28 AM
GDS Developer

#2: Recently added features

Today we'll be going over the first three of the features that were added while the journal was on hiatus.

Booking Analysis: The booking analysis tool has been significantly upgraded, now warning players in advance about things like worker overuse, booking complaints, and other potential penalties. In addition, there is now an on-screen warning to alert players if there are items in the booking analysis that they should look at, removing the need to check it so often.

Complete All Signings: When in the Decisions screen, the user can now choose to automatically complete all worker hirings / resignings that are awaiting action. This potentially saves a huge amount of time, particularly at the start of games or when you've founded a new company.

Audience Boredom: Fans can now get bored of a company if it is producing mediocre or uninteresting programming. If this happens, there are knock on effects on merchandise sales and sponsorship income, meaning the company starts paying a financial price. This stops companies resting on their laurels and punishes those who are on auto pilot.
Unread 08-01-2019, 02:44 AM
GDS Developer

#3: Recently added features (part II)

Minimum Skills: By request, active workers now have minimum levels that their skills can fall to, rather than potentially reaching absolute zero.

Time To Hang Up The Boots: Workers will now better take into account their in-ring levels when considering whether to retire. This means that workers who have severely deteriorated to the point of no longer being able to put on passable matches can call it quits.

Manager Analysis: As a side addition to yesterday's booking analysis change, that tool also now takes into account the passive use of managers (i.e. the manager is at ringside with a client but not actually doing anything in particular). Previously the analysis would not explicitly take into account that they are still in use, so this removes that confusion for players.

Road Agent Advice: When booking the road agent will give the user input on stamina and psychology issues. This removes the need for guesswork or remembering exact figures, thus making it a little more user friendly.

Tomorrow will be the final four of the new features, then next week will be moving fully to the new format.
Unread 08-02-2019, 02:44 AM
GDS Developer

#4: Recently added features (part III)

Auto Fill Hall of Fames: The mass editor now includes the ability to create a company's hall of fame from scratch by looking through title histories; this potentially saves a lot of time for database makers.

Gimmick Body Types: Gimmicks now have an additional setting whereby you can set what body types are viable to make them work. This adds an extra level of detail, as it allows, for example, only muscular or ripped workers to use gimmicks like Power & Paint.

Fire Sales: AI companies in financial peril now have the ability to potentially sell off venues and dojos / performance centres in order to raise emergency cash and, for the latter, cut monthly costs.

Offering Cash Boosts: Companies can now offer other companies (as long as they're not hostile, a child, or a parent) a free cash boost via the Relationships screen. This can act as a good way of improving diplomatic relations, be a way of helping keep a company in business if you have use for them (such as being a place you send workers to develop), or just be a way to help out to be nice.

That now gets us fully up to date, so next week we will be going through what is being worked on at the moment.
Unread 08-05-2019, 06:02 AM
GDS Developer

#5: Intro screens, talent trades

Over the weekend I completed a feature that is comparatively small but that I suspect will prove very popular - intro screens. The way this works is that there's a new subfolder in Pictures called Intros. When a user starts a new game, right before the avatar selection, TEW will check whether there's anything in that folder. If there isn't, it's ignored. If there is, however, it will load them up in alphabetical order for the user to see. The user can skip back and forth through them or exit at any time.

This system allows database makers to have custom-made introductory splash screens, which can therefore be used for all manner of things - whether it's just a title page, a couple of pages describing the setting or backstory, background information on major characters or scenarios, etc. Each graphic is 1000x500, and there's no limit on how many you can put. As I said, it's a very simple idea, but one with a lot of potential to allow for some creative and interesting applications, and leans into the fact that we have a very graphics-heavy community.

The other feature that I've been working on (it's mostly finished, I'm just testing it at the moment) is an upgrade to talent trades. The big change is that there are now three types, which are:

Talent Trade: This is what you're familiar with; you offer workers from your roster in exchange for workers from someone else's and they get taken on loan for a limited number of dates.

Talent Offer: This is where you offer a worker or workers from your roster to someone else for a loan period, but don't ask for anything in return. This can be because you want to send out a rookie to gain some experience, because you want to help out an ally by giving them temporary access to a big star, or anything else you can imagine.

Talent Swap: This is an old-school feature in that you propose permanently swapping a worker or workers from your roster for a worker or workers from someone else's. This is potentially great if both sides have workers who are talented but have grown stale, as they can both benefit from getting fresh new talent they can use.

Given the changes, I've also redone the AI entirely to make the opposition smarter about what deals it will accept. As before, you can still make all of these talent trade options with AI or human-controlled companies. I've also made the limits on how often you can do these a little looser to allow more freedom.
Unread 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM
GDS Developer

#6: A peek-behind-the-curtain look at gimmicks

One of the things I wanted to do in this second phase of the journal was to give people more of a 'peek behind the curtain' when it comes to the creative process and what me and my development team talk about, so that's what this entry will be about.

One thing we've been kicking around is a big change to the way gimmicks work. Below I've given a (mildly edited) version of the 'concept post' I made about it so you can see what sort of thing we consider, how things get built, etc. The general feeling is that this could be quite a cool change, although no final decision has yet been made and I certainly haven't yet nailed down precise details or an exact implementation. I thought posting it would give people a nice look behind the scenes and also be a nice way to take the temperature of the board with regard to whether this would be a welcome change or a step too far.

Quote:
Concept: The current gimmick design isn't the best. You have a large list (and a lot of effort) into making a lot of gimmicks which are quite similar, often just variations on the same thing, and a lot of the stats are there just to say if someone is suited to a gimmick - realistically this is unnecessary data as it's safe to say that no user is dumb enough to intentionally pick a gimmick that doesn't meet the requirements.

Solution

We remove the gimmick file entirely.

When you want to give a new gimmick to a wrestler you give a name for the proposed gimmick in a text field (just for cosmetic purposes, you could use "xxfsdfsdfsdfsdf" if you really wanted) and then select how you'd like to build it. This would consist of things like how safe you want to be with it (in terms of do you go for an easy off-the-peg approach where you're using a common archetype or do you go for a thinking outside the box approach), how tailored to that specific worker it is, how it lands on the generic-unique scale, etc.

When the gimmick debuts the game uses the "build" information, together with things like the user's creativity score, to decide how it is perceived. It assumes that the worker is suited for the gimmick in terms of size, race, etc, etc. So if you've gone ultra-safe then you've got a very low chance of it being awful, but on the flip side it's very unlikely to really catch on either because it's so generic and everyone has seen it before. You get a rating, as you do now, to show how effective the new gimmick is, plus the existing bit about how long it is likely to last before you need to tweak or re-do it (again, this will be based on the build - something totally off-the-wall might be a flash in the pan that needs redoing fairly soon). What's new is that there will also be many "tick boxes" (some hidden, some not) that show what special features the gimmick got. So an ultra-generic approach might lead to it getting a "boring" tag that means that the worker will find it hard to generate momentum, for example.

Tweaking would work the same way as it does now, but the way you initially built the gimmick would have some effect too.

You'd be able to preset all of the above in the editor for existing workers.

Pros and Cons

The pros are that we get rid of the gimmick file which means far less work for database makers, and the new system is both more realistic and very flexible as it can literally account for any gimmick that could possibly exist.

It also makes assigning new gimmicks more interesting, as rather than just picking from a list you can put some thought into the risks and rewards - go super safe for your midcard mainstay because you don't want to land him with something awful but aren't bothered if he gets a killer gimmick either, but maybe you go for a completely bonkers gimmick for a promising youngster in the hope that you land on that once-in-a-generation Undertaker-style gimmick that they can build a superstar career on.

The cons are that removing the list of gimmicks means people might struggle for inspiration (possibly solvable by having an in-built list of suggestions?), it's a radical departure from what people are used to so that generally means a backlash, it possibly puts too much of the onus on the user's shoulders for generating their own ideas (although, again, that can possibly be addressed by having an in-built list or some sort of automatic 'do it for me' button), and it risks making the process of gimmick selection more time intensive than it is now.
Unread 08-07-2019, 05:36 AM
GDS Developer

#7: Pre-phase II additions

At the moment development on the game is slightly stilted as I'm setting up the team for next month's 'second wave testing' and can't make any major changes to the game until that is done. As a result, the past few days have been going through and making a lot of smaller changes that I can code and test in a short space of time. In this entry I'll just be going through some of them.

Filtering Alumni: The alumni page for each company can now be filtered. By default, it no longer shows people who were only in short-term (such as loans / trades / etc), but on-screen tick boxes allow you to filter them back in if you want.

Disposition Strictness: A new setting in a company's product is how strict they enforce their disposition split, if they have one. This ranges from not at all to extremely strict. The stricter it is, the bigger the penalties when you do face vs face, heel vs heel, etc. This would allow, for example, a company to have faces and heels in effect but to be able to book them against each other without penalties.

AI Surgeries: The AI can now send its injured workers for surgery just like a player can.

Spoils Of War: If a company goes bankrupt then anyone they're in a significant war with automatically gains a company-wide morale boost for "winning the war".

Neutral Chemistry: When the player finds neutral chemistry this is now stored, a handy reminder that you don't need to re-check it in future.

Apply All Broadcaster Changes: Similar to the existing Apply All Agers in the worker mass editor, broadcasters can now have all their relevant Broadcaster Changes applied automatically too.

The plan is to keep making smaller changes like these for the next few days, then get to work on the final design and implementation of gimmicks, as per my last post.
Unread 08-09-2019, 05:17 AM
GDS Developer

#8: Pre-phase II additions (part II)

As with the previous entry, I'm still adding in smaller features while I give the new testers a few days to get used to the new game, so this is just keeping everyone up to date with what those are.

Upgrading Venues: If the user owns a venue they can now choose, via the Investments screen, to spend money to upgrade the capacity.

Reign Length: On the various title screens, the current reign's length in days is now shown (unless it's vacant or the database has been set up in a way where the reign's start date is unavailable).

Product When Choosing Company: When choosing a company to play as the product screen is now available, giving the user more information as to what they can expect / would be expected of them if they go ahead and become booker.

PM Event Rename: The user can now rename events while in PM mode. This is useful if you want to reference the main event's name but don't know exactly what that will be until you've finished booking.

Narrative Chance: Narratives can now be given a chance between 1% and 100% of whether they happen or not. This allows database makers to include a degree of randomness.
Unread 08-12-2019, 04:02 AM
GDS Developer

#9: Social media storms

While finishing off the design work for the new gimmick system I'm adding in a new feature, social media storms.

The way this works is that every now and again a worker will find themselves at the centre of a social media storm whereby something they've done - 'liked' a controversial post, made some ill-advised comments, criticised the wrong person - blows up and becomes a major story. Their employer will then have to decide how to deal with it, whether by simply waiting for it to blow over, not using that worker for a while, making a statement, releasing them, etc.

These are slightly different to other decisions in the game in that they're not always one-off; they can branch out based on what approach you take and become multi-part stories. So, bungling your handling of it could make things worse and stretch it out for longer than it should run, for example.

This isn't going to be a huge part of the game, but it's a nice extra dose of reality and something extra to make the game world come alive.

Obviously this feature is time-locked to the modern age.
Unread 08-15-2019, 03:41 AM
GDS Developer

#10: Regular social media

With the social media storms now finished, the rest of the week's work will be devoted to a related feature, the regular use of social media.

The way that this works is very simply to produce regular social media based stories that make the game world feel more alive. Usually this will involve two workers interacting in some way; this could be a grouchy veteran complaining that 'kids these days can't work' and get rebuked by a hot young talent; it could be a star giving props to a promising youngster; it could be two workers getting into a pointless argument over something; and so forth. There'll be a ton of different types so that it doesn't get repetitive. It's linked to personality and the individual's stats, so people won't be acting 'out of character'.

Sometimes nothing will come of these interactions, but other times it will trigger fall out. This could be the development of a new relationship between the workers, a morale boost, or even a small skill boost if they learn something from the encounter.

The hope is to finish this by Sunday and then get to work on the new gimmick stuff on Monday.
Unread 08-19-2019, 08:40 AM
GDS Developer

#11: Gimmick week, initial testing

This week will be spent entirely on the new gimmick feature. The design work is finished - it's based very closely on what I've posted previously, so there's no big surprises there - so it's just a matter of coding it all in now. Given how tightly wrapped into the game gimmicks are, this is one of the more fiddly and time-consuming changes and so I'm probably not going to be making many, if any, posts for the rest of this week. The hope is to have it finished in seven days so that I can do a post detailing the finalised feature next Monday.

In the meantime, testing is continuing behind the scenes. At this early stage it's mostly tidying up errors that have slipped through the cracks and polishing up features that the new testers think are too confusing / not working well enough.

Early reactions have been super positive, which is always nice, and it's been particularly good to see that some of the new AI features are working well. To give just one example, a tester reported that SWF managed to turn Jefferson Stardust into a star by strapping a rocket to him and getting him from 58 to 81 popularity in a twelve month period. With the AI now being much better at making stars, it really opens up a whole new aspect of the game as it becomes less about relying on signings.
Unread 08-26-2019, 06:56 AM
GDS Developer

#12: Gimmicks

With the new gimmicks feature now added, today's entry will go through how it looks. I'm really pleased with how it has ended up and the reaction from the testers has been very positive, so I think this will probably end up being one of the most popular alterations.

When you're in the game and viewing a gimmick what you'll see is its name, it's rating, and a list of pros and cons. In TEW2016 some gimmick types had in-built pros and cons, such as 'legitimate' gimmicks getting penalised if they list to 'comedy' gimmicks; TEW2020 takes this further by having many different possible pros and cons which can be linked to a gimmick. More on this in a little while.

In terms of how long a gimmick lasts, tweaking it, and how its rating goes up and down over time, that is all the same mechanics as TEW2016.

When you want to make a gimmick change you first pick a name for the new gimmick, then select a Basis: this is from a selection that includes things like Realistic, Legitimate, Comedy, Mysterious / Occult, etc. They're slightly different from the TEW2016 categories as I wanted to make them a little more intuitive (I'll give a full list at some point in the future when they're finalised). The Basis is important as it tells the game what the underlying feel of the gimmick is, how it will interact with other gimmicks, and what sort of pros and cons are potentially appropriate.

Once you've done that, you then select your aim. You have a 5 x 5 grid and you position your aim simply by clicking the square you want to use.

Running from left to right is the Generic - Unique scale. The more Generic your aim (i.e. the further to the left you go), the more familiar and easy to grasp your gimmick is. This means its unlikely to get a poor rating, but its also correspondingly unlikely to get a really high rating. However, the more Unique you go (i.e. the further to the right), the more 'out there' it is, so you run a bigger risk of it flopping badly but also get a better chance of catching lightning in a bottle and getting a really high rating.

Running from top to bottom is the Creative - Safe scale. The more Safe you go (i.e. the closer to the bottom of the grid), the longer the gimmick is likely to last but it can generally be tweaked less and you'll get less pros and cons attached. If you go more Creative (i.e. upward), again, the opposite happens; you run the risk of it burning out quicker but you will likely get more pros and cons attached.

As the player, you can therefore pick the approach that you feel is best for each worker. You might go into the extreme bottom left hand corner - Ultra Generic, Ultra Safe - because you are happy with just a standard gimmick that isn't going to have much in the way of a positive or negative effect on the worker. You might go dead in the center of the grid and take the 'standard' approach. Or you might decide to go into the bottom right, taking a big risk with the rating but playing it safe in terms of the pros and cons and length. It gives the user a lot of freedom to try different things. It also means that for workers you're not that bothered about you don't really even have to put much effort in - leave the aim in the center, pick a name, pick a Basis, done: literally a few seconds at most.

Unlike TEW2016, there's no need to fiddle around having to find a gimmick that 'fits' as the game takes it as granted that you aren't doing something stupid like giving a female-only gimmick to a man, etc. This was always a flaw in the old method anyway, given that it was easy to get around just by cloning a gimmick and altering its requirements.

When you perform a gimmick change the game uses the basis and aim to work out how the gimmick turns out. The rating is the same format as you have with TEW2016 - you'll see that it is Awful, Adequate, Legendary, etc. As discussed above, the number of pros and cons you get is linked directly to how Creative you've gone. You might end up with absolutely none, or you may end up with 5 or 6 (or more!). There is an in-built list of potential pros and cons, some of which are only available for specific Basis types, some of which are universal. For example, "Gets a bonus for being in comedy matches" is a possible pro if you've chosen to use a Comedy Basis, but isn't available for Legitimate. "Extremely marketable, boosts a worker's merchandise sales" is available for almost all the Basis types however.

The pros and cons cover lots of things: who they can lose to ("Is penalised for losing to Comedy gimmicks"), their merchandise sales (see above), their skills ("Receives a boost to their Star Quality during matches and angles), how wins and losses affect them ("Wins have more impact on popularity than normal"), etc, etc, so they can really impact how you're likely to book someone.

Overall, this removes a lot of the fiddliness from the gimmicks section - no more scrolling through lists or searching for specific variations of the same gimmick - in favour of a much more user friendly, intuitive approach. The only limit is the user's imagination. With the new pros and cons system, you're adding a lot more depth too, as the pros and cons you get can significantly impact your future plans for a worker. Having a risk pay off and land you with a gimmick that's highly rated and that comes with some great pros and few negatives could be the difference between a worker being your next world champion or an also-ran.

Incidentally, as they're such a big part of the game, the pros and cons are easily accessible throughout the game - they're one click away on all the rosters and booking screens.

The TEW2016 Gimmick file does remain in TEW2020, but is now renamed Gimmick Ideas. The way this works is that when you're making a gimmick change you can click a button called 'Give me inspiration' and this will load up a searchable list where you can see all the gimmicks that would fit that worker based on the criteria. Clicking one will automatically fill in the name and Basis of your proposed gimmick change for you. This file isn't required, so if database makers don't want to fill it in there's no penalty or potential issue, but it's there for people who like having something to jog their memory or give them ideas.
Unread 08-28-2019, 07:38 AM
GDS Developer

#13: Performance skill revamp

One area that has been totally revamped in the worker performance skills, which in TEW2016 covered face and heel performance and each of the gimmick-related performances (i.e. Brute, Weasel, etc).

Faces and Heels

The old face and heel performance skills are now replaced entirely with attributes. The time-saving concept here is that as most real life wrestlers are perfectly capable of playing babyface and heel, if there are no related attributes present then the game assumes that they can play both. This saves database makers a significant amount of time as it means that for most workers they don't have to do a thing, and is more intuitive for players as you're not looking at abstract numbers but seeing text telling you explicitly if they can or can't play face or heel.

There are a variety of attributes present, allowing workers to be set as only able to play one or the other, to be able to play both but have a preference, and also to be extremely good at one, both, or neither. These attributes allow the game to know whether someone is in a role that they struggle at, whether they should get bonus points, and (for AI hiring) what their initial disposition should be.

Gimmick Performance

Likewise, the gimmick performances are now also no longer 0-100 stats but are entirely done by attributes. Again, this allows some major time-saving because the game can assume that if it isn't explicitly told so via an attribute that the worker is neither horrible at the role nor amazing at it - they're simply capable of playing it without any bonuses or penalties being needed. As most workers are able to play a wide variety of roles this means far less work for database makers and less abstract numbers for the player to go over.

For each gimmick basis there are two attributes, allowing the database maker to say whether the worker is unable to play that role or whether they should get a bonus because they're so good at it.

Obviously the gimmick performance attributes have slightly different names from the ones you're used to in TEW2016 as they match the new basis types used in TEW2020, as mentioned in the previous entry.

With all these new attributes this also improves the user friendliness of the game because you can clearly see each worker's attribute list from rosters, worker screens, etc, so you don't have to click multiple windows to find out what dispositions and gimmicks they can do.

Note that the TEW2016->TEW2020 converter automatically fills in attributes based upon each worker's TEW2016 stats, so a converted database will already be set up with all of this filled in.
Closed Thread