Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-13-2019, 08:29 PM
Rookie

I'm OK with The Bucks and Kenny making other guys look good this early in the company's history. They are talented enough and have enough name value that they can be booked as stars pretty easy at any time. It would have sucked to have The Elite and friends dominate while the rest of the roster trade wins WWE style. Same goes for Nyla. I would have hated for her to steamroll the entire division right off the bat. Instead they used her to put over Riho and building up a monster heel is one of the easiest things to do in wrestling so Nyla will be fine. WWE can afford to focus on a few select talent (mostly Brock, Seth and Becky right now) while Vince rolls around in cash. AEW have to build up the entire roster for the future.

Darby promo for the Jericho match: https://youtu.be/J87RR19PUfw
Unread 10-14-2019, 04:31 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
I'm OK with The Bucks and Kenny making other guys look good this early in the company's history. They are talented enough and have enough name value that they can be booked as stars pretty easy at any time. It would have sucked to have The Elite and friends dominate while the rest of the roster trade wins WWE style. Same goes for Nyla. I would have hated for her to steamroll the entire division right off the bat. Instead they used her to put over Riho and building up a monster heel is one of the easiest things to do in wrestling so Nyla will be fine. WWE can afford to focus on a few select talent (mostly Brock, Seth and Becky right now) while Vince rolls around in cash. AEW have to build up the entire roster for the future.

Darby promo for the Jericho match: https://youtu.be/J87RR19PUfw
People act like there's no nuance to this. That it's somehow good for them to lose every match because it shows they're a team player. The option isn't Hogan, WWE Booking, or Team Player. Losses for top guys are a currency. They get less and less valuable the more and more you hand them out. And they haven't really established a top guy yet besides Chris.

And when the casual audience doesn't know who the hell you are yet, you can't be losing to The Private Party, after losing to Lucha Bros. twice, and before you job to Santana and Ortiz a bunch.

Last edited by Makhai : 10-14-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Unread 10-14-2019, 07:05 AM
Hall of Fame

Maybe the Bucks are just positioning themselves as a beloved midcard act, as opposed to the main tag team. Popular, but not top guys. Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of options for stars on the roster.
Unread 10-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCJR4LIFE View Post
The same reason “mandatory challengers” have existed in boxing for generations.

In boxing, since again we are using the pseudo sport comparison, the champ would always defend his title when having a fight even if it was against some bum no one ever heard of.

In fact WWE’s own Tyson Fury just got done fighting some no bane in the leaduo to his second fight with Deontay Wilder, the only difference is that boxers, although extremely unlikely due to skill difference, can technically actually lose these fights.
My point was that AEW was undermining their own "Wins and losses matter" policy by handing 2 random guys with not-so-impressive win/loss records title opportunities. Hell, Michael Nakazawa had a better win/loss ratio than Jimmy Havoc. If they don't want their booking to be restricted by that, they shouldn't have set that policy in the first place (not that it was a good idea to begin with). It's as silly as WWE doing a draft and then undermining it with a Wild Card rule.

If they're going to give Darby a title shot to begin with, why not book him to actually win more matches prior to this? This reeks of short-sightedness in their booking.
Unread 10-14-2019, 07:04 PM
Rookie

AEW has barely begun so no one really has an impressive win/loss record except Jericho and Riho.
Unread 10-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
AEW has barely begun so no one really has an impressive win/loss record except Jericho and Riho.
I'm not asking for a Goldberg-level record. They can at least start with those with positive win/loss ratio at least, and not someone like Havoc who was 1-3.

OR, like I already said, don't keep bringing up that win/loss record policy to begin with on your shows!
Unread 10-16-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

AEW is seemingly doing a terrible first
hour ratings wise. Not sure why but it’s looking NXT levels bad
Unread 10-16-2019, 09:20 PM
Living Legend

I don’t get the appeal of Britt Baker. She’s not a good worker.
Unread 10-16-2019, 09:27 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
But she's a dentist!
Unread 10-16-2019, 09:41 PM
Banned

PAC isn’t as smart as he thinks he is.

Grabbing barbed wire by the barbed side is not a good idea.
Unread 10-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Major League

I enjoyed tonight's episode alright...but I'm really hoping to see more variety in the men's roster. A lot of vanilla midgets...where are my big fatties and hosses?

Otherwise, Scorpio Sky is a star in the making.
Unread 10-17-2019, 12:28 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRider View Post
I enjoyed tonight's episode alright...but I'm really hoping to see more variety in the men's roster. A lot of vanilla midgets...where are my big fatties and hosses?

Otherwise, Scorpio Sky is a star in the making.
Wardlow and Hager are the only real hosses they have.
Unread 10-17-2019, 01:11 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Same, but the play here is that she's got the work ethic, and she's got a character, they took a lot of calculated risks here on young talent, guys like Jungle Boy, and Kip. Girls like Kylie, and Britt. The idea is that in a couple of years they'll be ready. And after the WWE sucked up almost all of the good Female talent to fill out a Rumble every year. It's pretty slim pickings for homegrown, US talent. Somebody on that Women's roster has to speak English, and not spell color, colour. And the two best left out there in their 20s were Kylie and Britt. So they signed them. This would be a different story if they started this a year ago when the indies had Candace, and Mia on them.

Last edited by Makhai : 10-17-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Unread 10-17-2019, 03:14 AM
Rookie

- SCU vs Best Friends was good. It was just a matter of time before either Lucha Bros or The Bucks turned heel.
- Jobbers vs PnP was an OK squash. Jericho the Matchmaker. Loved the Cody video.
- Dr. Britt vs Riho (c) was solid. Britt's improving but she's still a work in progress. Hopefully Bea beats her at Full Gear and challenges Riho.
- Jurassic Express vs Lucha Bros was good. Can't sleep on Stunt. The dude can go in the ring. Ref Aubrey taking no crap from Lucha Bros.
- PAC & Mox vs Page & Omega was MOTN. I liked the finished. LOL at Mox crapping on the commercial break. FITE > TNT.
- Darby vs Jericho (c) was good. Hager should be an interesting opponent for Darby at Full Gear.

The most consistent episode so far.

MJF backstage interview was hilarious - https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/stat...34403487506437
Unread 10-17-2019, 03:25 AM
Rookie

People forget Britt never went to NXT and has never wrestled on TV before. She's been at dentistry school and only wrestled 45 matches last year and half that this year, a fraction of the amount of matches most wrestlers have on the indies. I've seen in her STARDOM before and I can tell she's improved. She lacks the experience needed to be a top level star... for now. I can see her losing to Bea at Full Gear.

Which got me thinking who AEW should sign or bring in part-time in the next year:

Female: Mercedes Martinez, Jamie Hayter, Priscilla Kelly, Zoe Lucas, Kris Statlander, anyone from TJPW or Gatoh Move
Male: Killer Kross, Tony Deppen, Jake Atlas, Cara Noir, Daniel Makabe

When their contracts run out: Tessa Blanchard, Jordynne Grace, The Revival, Gilbert El Boricua, (aka Mil Meurtes), Rey Horus (aka El Dragon Azteca Jr), AR Fox