Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-17-2019, 09:20 AM
Rookie

AEW post-show: https://youtu.be/Zh74MX2h5GM
Unread 10-17-2019, 05:32 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingRider View Post
I enjoyed tonight's episode alright...but I'm really hoping to see more variety in the men's roster. A lot of vanilla midgets...where are my big fatties and hosses?

Otherwise, Scorpio Sky is a star in the making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickymex View Post
Wardlow and Hager are the only real hosses they have.
Evil Uno.

But the fact that Uno's the only not-built-like-a-brickhouse large guy on the roster is a bit...I would say "under-representative" of that particular facet of the independent wrestling scene in 2019?
Unread 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milamber View Post
MJF backstage interview was hilarious - https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/stat...34403487506437
Thanks for posting the link, that was awesome. MJF can do more to get over with 90 seconds of promo time than most people can do with an entire career. Dude is non stop gold.
Unread 10-17-2019, 07:16 PM
Rookie

Unread 10-18-2019, 01:02 PM
Banned

I know this may seem really strong but MJF has a charisma on the microphone that I haven’t seen since The Rock:
Unread 10-20-2019, 07:06 AM
Minor League

Solid episode 3, no standout matches like last 2 weeks but overall consistent quality. I also like the way they're assigning TV time. Only the champions (Jericho and Riho) have the privilege of consistent screen time every week, and it makes them feel important. Otherwise we don't see the same people all the time. The Bucks aren't on TV this week and Cody only appears in a pre-taped promo, and Kenny had no TV match last week. This is something WWE should learn from. But of course, when you have Brock Lesnar as champion that's not possible.

I wish they didn't do the "face team has to replace one member at the last minute because the original member can't compete due to medical/injury reason" twice in a row in the tag team tournament. Individually, they were fine on their own, but seeing it twice in the same episode makes it feel contrived. And just too bad that the TV audience still don't get to see what Luchasaurus can do.

Women's match is too bad, but it's probably the worst match Riho has been involved in thus far. A positive is that the commentators didn't say anything about the weak win/loss record policy this week. And at least Baker doesn't have a negative win/loss record coming into this, but i still don't like how they give random title matches away on normal TV shows every other week.

The main event is a mixed bag that I love and hate at the same time. I like the creativity with the taping of Darby's hand and him continuing to wrestle in it. I don't think the interference at the end was necessary (and why did it have to happen when the ref was distracted? Wasn't the match No-DQ?). Darby was protected enough with the way he came close to winning with both hands tied up. With Hager's interference I think Jericho looks weak fro not being able to beat a man with no hands.

I'm also confused about the "Street Fight" rules in the main event. Apparently, it allows them to use weapons without fear of disqualification, but as mentioned earlier Jericho still needed to distract the referee for the interference. And there's also the moment when Aubrey Edwards apparently still threatened to disqualify Jericho for not releasing the submission hold??? This match feels like it was scripted by 2 different people who didn't consult each other.
Unread 10-20-2019, 11:02 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocke View Post

The main event is a mixed bag that I love and hate at the same time. I like the creativity with the taping of Darby's hand and him continuing to wrestle in it. I don't think the interference at the end was necessary (and why did it have to happen when the ref was distracted? Wasn't the match No-DQ?). Darby was protected enough with the way he came close to winning with both hands tied up. With Hager's interference I think Jericho looks weak fro not being able to beat a man with no hands.

I'm also confused about the "Street Fight" rules in the main event. Apparently, it allows them to use weapons without fear of disqualification, but as mentioned earlier Jericho still needed to distract the referee for the interference. And there's also the moment when Aubrey Edwards apparently still threatened to disqualify Jericho for not releasing the submission hold??? This match feels like it was scripted by 2 different people who didn't consult each other.

Can't explain the second paragraph to you. Your final sentence seems to be a perfectly logical surmise. However, the interference is all too easy. I may not be as blind a mark as I was in childhood or as a young adult but in cases like this I still like to stay in touch with that thought process. And from that perspective it strikes me as pretty obvious why you have that interference there and in that fashion. The heat of battle. The force of habit. Hager and Jericho are so panicked in that moment they forget they don't have to be sneaky. So they fall back on what they know which is distracting the ref so it can happen. Now I will grant you that Hager panicking in that moment and feeling he needed to run in makes him look pretty dumb. But that's also something Hager wouldn't think about until the fact. Jericho's panic I'm okay with. After all, he's put Darby in a position where the kid shouldn't be able to defend himself and yet he's still finding ways. Ones that are good enough to allow him near falls no less. What more does Chris need to do to finish him off at that point? Makes perfect sense he accepts help from a henchy then.
Unread 10-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Phenom

Quote:
(and why did it have to happen when the ref was distracted? Wasn't the match No-DQ?)
This is going to sound stupid, but this is something veterans tell you to do during training. The belief is that there are more fans caught up in the moment and forgot it's no-DQ that you can get heat from for doing that than fans who will remember the rules and ask why you did that.
Unread 10-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Living Legend

Kenny Omega won the AAA Mega Championship
Unread 10-20-2019, 07:08 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Solid episode 3, no standout matches like last 2 weeks but overall consistent quality. I also like the way they're assigning TV time. Only the champions (Jericho and Riho) have the privilege of consistent screen time every week, and it makes them feel important. Otherwise we don't see the same people all the time. The Bucks aren't on TV this week and Cody only appears in a pre-taped promo, and Kenny had no TV match last week. This is something WWE should learn from. But of course, when you have Brock Lesnar as champion that's not possible.

I wish they didn't do the "face team has to replace one member at the last minute because the original member can't compete due to medical/injury reason" twice in a row in the tag team tournament. Individually, they were fine on their own, but seeing it twice in the same episode makes it feel contrived. And just too bad that the TV audience still don't get to see what Luchasaurus can do.

Women's match is too bad, but it's probably the worst match Riho has been involved in thus far. A positive is that the commentators didn't say anything about the weak win/loss record policy this week. And at least Baker doesn't have a negative win/loss record coming into this, but i still don't like how they give random title matches away on normal TV shows every other week.

Daniels being taken out was to turn The Lucha Bros heel. In the case of Luchasaurus, he got injured right before the show. Hamstring I think so out for awhile and they had no choice but to replace him.

Riho has a dual contract. She holds the STARDOM High Speed title and is competing in the month long STARDOM tag league. I don't think she's available for Full Gear so they might have had to push some of her title defenses ahead. Bea might not be available for Full Gear either but I hope she beats Britt on TV to get the next title shot. I think Yuka Sakazaki might be coming back soon so that's a no-brainer. Shida just finished up in Japan. I get the feeling they already have Mercedes Martinez and a few other women under contract and are just waiting for their schedules to clear. I assume Jericho being the star of the show (and a damn good promo) and not wanting Lesnar comparisons is why he's on TV a lot and defending the title regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappyboy View Post
Can't explain the second paragraph to you. Your final sentence seems to be a perfectly logical surmise. However, the interference is all too easy. I may not be as blind a mark as I was in childhood or as a young adult but in cases like this I still like to stay in touch with that thought process. And from that perspective it strikes me as pretty obvious why you have that interference there and in that fashion. The heat of battle. The force of habit. Hager and Jericho are so panicked in that moment they forget they don't have to be sneaky. So they fall back on what they know which is distracting the ref so it can happen. Now I will grant you that Hager panicking in that moment and feeling he needed to run in makes him look pretty dumb. But that's also something Hager wouldn't think about until the fact. Jericho's panic I'm okay with. After all, he's put Darby in a position where the kid shouldn't be able to defend himself and yet he's still finding ways. Ones that are good enough to allow him near falls no less. What more does Chris need to do to finish him off at that point? Makes perfect sense he accepts help from a henchy then.
As you said Jericho was struggling to put away someone he probably thought he could beat easily because Darby is a madman. If Hager didn't help Jericho then what value does he bring to his role as enforcer of the Inner Circle? And once Hager interfered Jericho wasn't stupid enough to not take advantage. That's my read on it.

Last edited by milamber : 10-20-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Unread 10-20-2019, 07:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Kenny Omega won the AAA Mega Championship
From Fenix in a very good match by all accounts. He's expressed his desire to defend the title in AEW so we could get a rematch if AAA are willing to play ball.

Last edited by milamber : 10-20-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Unread 10-21-2019, 08:55 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Daniels being taken out was to turn The Lucha Bros heel. In the case of Luchasaurus, he got injured right before the show. Hamstring I think so out for awhile and they had no choice but to replace him.
I'm aware of the reasons. Doesn't mean it won't take away from the show for a viewer, though. Especially when there's an obvious easy fix. Considering that the Lucha Bros' actual opponents were the Jurassic Express that night, they easily could have turned heel by showing a clip of them taking out Luchasaurus backstage (and would have made even more sense in this context). That way, they don't have to use a similar setup for 2 matches on the same night.

I recall once when WWE booked 2 matches to end in countouts in a row and the fans (rightfully) crapped over it. One was due to a wrestler being injured. It was a perfectly legit reason, but it sure doesn't mean the fans like seeing it.

Quote:
If Hager didn't help Jericho then what value does he bring to his role as enforcer of the Inner Circle?
Eh, I just watched NWA a couple days back and I don't think anything was taken away from Nick Aldis' ringside "insurance policy" even though she never interfered in the match. Same goes for Ezekial Jackson back when he was Brian Kendrick's enforcer. His mere presence at ringside was valuable, he didn't need to interfere every match. Also, Hager just helped Jericho and Guevara win their match last week, so it's not like he has to "prove his worth" every single week unless he gets paid by per-interference basis. And like I said, they make it look like Jericho needed his help against a man who doesn't have the use of his hands. I'm fine with Hager playing a factor against the match with Cody who probably has a team of friends/family of his own that Hager can help to neutralize, but if Jericho can't even beat a man with his hands tied up by himself then how can I expect him to stand a chance against the Elite?
Unread 10-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Living Legend

I think MJF will turn on Cody at Full Gear and help Jericho retain
Unread 10-21-2019, 02:35 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
I think MJF will turn on Cody at Full Gear and help Jericho retain
Much prefer that MJF and Cody have a Luger Sting relationship for years and then you do it when people are sure you're not going to do it, or never do it at all. You've got to establish relationships before it means something to be betrayed. WWE has beaten this stuff into the ground with their booking. Much easier for Guevara to get the last laugh here.
Unread 10-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Rookie

One of the best Being The Elite intros ever: https://youtu.be/bjTcL0UCzxo