Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comradebot View Post
Hey Stennick, we should discuss that TEW 2005 mod movie.

Except that it's not a movie.

But we still need to discuss it
I feel not so bright. I've had a PM from you sitting in my inbox forever and I never even noticed it. I looked up after reading that and it said one unread message. You should have got at me sooner man. I'll send the workers I have done over to you tonight so you can have a look
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Living Legend

Just want to give a heads up to anybody who is thinking about seeing The Wolfman, don't. The movie stunk! There was no real storyline behind it and even the action sort of sucked. I went in thinking I was going to see a better updated version of the Lon Chaney Jr. classic but instead I saw another crappy horror movie.

And what sucks is the cast was really good but that still did not stop it from being a stinker.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Hall of Fame

God, I am such a movie buff. I see at least 2 movies in the theatres a week. A week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stennick View Post
Funny People - I saw it and it really wasn't that funny. It was ok but with Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Adam Sandler and others I figured this would be a home run knock out of the park hilarious. Instead it had its funny moments but really its supposed to be a drama and the story backdrop just isn't very likeable. Sandler's character isn't evil but he's certainly not likeable. Rogen's character comes off as kind of a loser himself. Jason Schwartz plays a somewhat minor role along with Jonah Hill but it doesn't matter since I didn't care for their characters as well. They got some funny jokes in there. The Die Hard jokes with the Doctor are funny and the stand up jokes they do are generally funny but nowhere near entertaining enough to be a drama and not funny enough to be a comedy.
Funny people is a dark comedy, heck even the title is ironic because although it is about funny people, like you said they're not being funny. If you really appreciate irony and dark comedy, it's decent. If you don't care for movies like this or Bad Santa, then I'd suggest you pass on it.

Quote:
Zack and Miri - Another Rogen movie only this is Apatow's guys with a Kevin Smith script. The concept isn't bad, its made very obvious from the start that their broke and really with the title being what the title is its not a shocker when they decide to do what they do. Before the movie hits its peak its a pretty good movie. Plenty of jokes, likes of funny inuendo, then it hits its climax for lack of a better term and its all downhill from there. Its not funny hardly at all anymore and then the movie just races to an end without really exploring the second half of the movie or even pausing to make funny situational jokes about it. The black guy thats in Pineapple Express and Rogen are the funniest parts of this movie. Mewes is usually good for a laugh but instead of using him to play his sophmoric, childish, catchphrase riddled chracter they got him being a dimwitted guy with certain enhancements that make him vital to their objective. Although I appreciate the character Mewes was pretty uninteresting in the part. So two Seth Rogen movies and neither really did it for me.
Agreed, the beginning is pretty funny, but the ending was a downer.

Quote:
The Hangover - This movie was awesome.
Clipped the rest because honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the movie. Sure it's hilarious, but it's too "wacky hijinks" rather then character driven in my book. It's like, the movie tried to cram in as many stereotypical Las Vegas cliches that any given one was never really capitalized on.

For example, the tiger stuff went by way to quick. The cop stuff went by way to quick. The marriage to a prostitute went by way too quick....

Any one of those scenes could have been developed much further but it was more like a live-action family guy episode.

"Hey, remember when we stole that cop car?" (30-second comedy bit)
"Hey, remember when I pulled out my own tooth?" (30-second comedy bit).
etc. etc.

So if you like Family Guy (I do..) you'll find the movie hilarious, maybe even comedy of the year. If you don't like family guy, you'll probably be very disappointed in the movie.

Quote:
I saw Year One and although I wasn't expecting much I pretty much got what or maybe even a bit less of what I was expecting. I guess the science geek in me hated that these guys were cavemen and yet they were just rolling all through history at a pretty alarming rate. Placing Kane and Able at the same time as Sodom and Gomorrah. Aside from that it had its funny bit parts but towards the end the bits slowed and so did any interest I had in the movie.
Oh god this movie sucked. It was like Jack Black & Micheal Cera are Jack Black and Micheal Cera...but IN CAVE MAN TIMES!!!!

Quote:
Angels and Demons I saw, I still have never seen Da Vinci Code. The book got so much hype that I didn't possibly think it could live up to the hype and praise heaped on it. Although from what I understand I do like the overall concept of the book. Therefore I figured I wouldn't see the movie. I saw this movie and it was enjoyable. It was basically National Treasure without the cool CGI effects and Vatican History rather than American History. The only thing I don't like about it is that the main character uncovers clues and like in National Treasure explains why and how he got here and a bit of the backstory behind it. National Treasure does this pretty well even if it is a downfall of movies that have to take time out to explain to the audience what their doing. That said this main character does it rapidly and doesn't really explain anything about these people and what it is their uncovering. Now of course I know most of the people but with all the ancient art in that country I wasn't familiar with most of it in the movie and got a feeling of being out of place and lost as they raced around the Vatican. That being said it was fun and enjoyable although I never got attached to any of the characters but still managed to enjoy a bit of a twist at the end.
Dan Brown's works are all over-hyped POS. He tries to emulate other "research based fiction" writers like Micheal Crichton but his research is laughable. I love how in the beginning of Da Vinci Code it talks about the Priories of Scion blah blah blah and it turns out that the group was created in something like the 1960's...

@Avatar: It's not about the story, it's about the setting, the fantasy world that was created. The main character is the planet itself...everything else just falls by the wayside.

@Dear John: 1-dimensional romantic drama. Pointless waste of time

@Fantastic Mr. Fox: Surprisingly charming and artistic for a kid's movie. Rather slow paced though

@Edge of Darkness: Solid but unoriginal crime/thriller. If you like those kinds of movies you'll be pleased. If you're expecting something new or ground breaking you'll be disappointed.

@Book of Eli: Great performance by Denzel, religious theme doesn't overshadow the basic dramatic points

@Daybreakers: Crappy movie, don't go see it.

@Legion: Crappy movie, don't go see it.

@The Lovely Bones: Crappy movie, don't go see it.

@The Road: LIke book of Eli only slightly more depressing.

@Sherlock Holmes: Awesome movie, go see it.

@Up In Air: Excellent comedy. It's dark at times but has plenty of humor and Clooney does what Clooney does best.

@Youth In Revolt: Meh... not zany enough to be a teen sex comedy, not funny enough to be a regular comedy, not deep enough to be a dark comedy. It's a movie for Michael Cera fans, but it's not "that" bad if you're not a huge fan. You could definitely do worse then see this movie, but you can also definitely do better.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by praguepride View Post
@The Road: LIke book of Eli only slightly more depressing.
The Road was good but like you said very depressing. I might have been a little to much like Madd Maxx for me but it was still a good movie.
Unread 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
Just want to give a heads up to anybody who is thinking about seeing The Wolfman, don't. The movie stunk! There was no real storyline behind it and even the action sort of sucked. I went in thinking I was going to see a better updated version of the Lon Chaney Jr. classic but instead I saw another crappy horror movie.

And what sucks is the cast was really good but that still did not stop it from being a stinker.
Not surprised it was a mess given all the production troubles it's gone through. I swear it's as if Terry Gilliam himself were directing the damn thing.

And still I'm left waiting for a quality update to the werewolf. Ginger Snaps and Dog Soldiers were fun but still every werewolf story since the original American Werewolf in Paris has fallen short.
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Are you forgetting Teen Werewolf with Michael J Fox?
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM
All Star

Anyone seen The Hurt Locker? Is it good?
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Masked Orange View Post
Anyone seen The Hurt Locker? Is it good?
Yes, very, very good. One of the better modern war movies IMO.
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Super Star

Anybody seen Crazy Heart? That film looks bad ass, with Jeff Bridges what else do you expect I suppose.
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Minor League

Quote:

For example, the tiger stuff went by way to quick. The cop stuff went by way to quick. The marriage to a prostitute went by way too quick....

Any one of those scenes could have been developed much further but it was more like a live-action family guy episode.

"Hey, remember when we stole that cop car?" (30-second comedy bit)
"Hey, remember when I pulled out my own tooth?" (30-second comedy bit).
etc. etc.

So if you like Family Guy (I do..) you'll find the movie hilarious, maybe even comedy of the year. If you don't like family guy, you'll probably be very disappointed in the movie.
I was thinking the same while I was watching it in the cinema first time around...I mean, I was loving it, but it was too quick...untill...

The photo's at the end...I absolutly loved how you got to fill in all the blanks with the photos. I literally had tears in my eyes. Watched it in a packed screening and people were howling. In retrospect, I think the fact that they did it like that, filling in the gaps while still not giving you the whole picture, made it better than expanding those scenes in the movie.

It was almost like you were living the hangover with them, brief, intermittent flashes of a day gone wrong while you're still fuzzy from the night before.

One thing that makes me a sad panda though is that a sequel is already in the works. I think The Hangover is something that can only work once, so I'm expecting it to dissapoint.
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Major League

Quote:
@Sherlock Holmes: Awesome movie, go see it.
Robert Downey Jr, as much as I like him, seems about as un-Sherlock Holmes a guy as you can get. Would someone who is a Sherlock Holmes fan enjoy this or is it another case of Americans taking something important to the British and pooping all over it?
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHamster View Post
Robert Downey Jr, as much as I like him, seems about as un-Sherlock Holmes a guy as you can get. Would someone who is a Sherlock Holmes fan enjoy this or is it another case of Americans taking something important to the British and pooping all over it?
British director. It's a decent film...some of it is actually closer to the source material than most of the other screen adaptations of Holmes.
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:22 PM
All Star

Anyone else gonna see The Expendables when it comes out? It sounds the kinda movie that'd go down well on these boards, and I'm very excited to see it.

Loving that Stone Cold broke Stallone's neck.
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdgeOfReason View Post
Anybody seen Crazy Heart? That film looks bad ass, with Jeff Bridges what else do you expect I suppose.
Others have said this so it isn't an original thought, but the story and character arc are pretty similiar to the Wrestler. If you enjoyed that story and like Jeff Bridges you should like Crazy Heart.
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHamster View Post
I've read half of the complete sherlocks holmes collection and thought that the source material was considered heavily.

You have to give it 'till the very end, but you should know what I"m talking about by the time credits role.

The film is far more "action" oriented then a typical sherlock holmes story, but then again it's a movie. People complain about the Star Trek film for the exact same thing (too much explosion for star trek!)

Anyway, I don't want to give it away but there are certain key things that made me think that both Guy Ritchie and Robert Downey Jr. did some considerable research on the source material.

Then again, I'm a guy ritchie fanboi, so /shrug.

And yes, the director is british and knows his stuff. If you're not familiar he did Snatch and Lock Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, married madonna and made a string of bad movies (that I enjoyed because i'm a fanboi) etc. etc.