Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-29-2018, 03:08 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by steesh07 View Post
I've just recently watched Hacksaw Ridge and was definitely one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Not really a fan of Andrew Garfield, always feels contrived and not really a believable actor. But the story (I didn't actually know it was a true story) was truly epic and definitely going to be worth another watch soon. I preferred it to Dunkirk too which I wasn't expecting.

Anyone else seen Hacksaw Ridge?
I watched it last month actually! Great film. Funnily enough, they actually played the drama down in the film because they felt the true story would be impossible to believe. Check out the Wikipedia page for the film as well as Desmond's page, the true story of his bravery during that battle is crazy.
Unread 03-30-2018, 08:40 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by steesh07 View Post
I've just recently watched Hacksaw Ridge and was definitely one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Not really a fan of Andrew Garfield, always feels contrived and not really a believable actor. But the story (I didn't actually know it was a true story) was truly epic and definitely going to be worth another watch soon. I preferred it to Dunkirk too which I wasn't expecting.

Anyone else seen Hacksaw Ridge?
Overrated. Same as Dunkirk.
Unread 03-31-2018, 05:52 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hive View Post
Overrated. Same as Dunkirk.
To each their own.
Unread 04-01-2018, 05:35 AM
Rookie

Dunkirk was technically impressive but it was too cold for my liking. Hacksaw Ridge on the other hand had me close to tears in the climax and I'm very rarely emotional. Bonus credit to Mel Gibson for what he was able to produce on much smaller budget.

Finally watched Last Jedi today. I avoided spoilers going in but knew that the critics loved it and a lot of fans were negative, so I was bemused because I thought it was a great Star Wars movie. Perhaps a bit long compared to TFA and RO but that's a minor quibble. I haven't really delved into the criticism yet but most of the posts I've read don't hold much water because they basically just say the movie was crap and offer vague explanations why. So far the comments section of this article on AV Club is the most balanced and intelligent discussion I've found:

https://www.avclub.com/part-kurosawa...ldl-1821291545

Last edited by milamber : 04-01-2018 at 05:45 AM.
Unread 04-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Phenom

Watched Isle Of Dogs yesterday and I have to say that if you get the chance then you should really go see it. Truly believe it's Wes Anderson's best movie and is really fun and charming
Unread 05-04-2018, 10:08 PM
Super Star

Infinity War was just epic, lived up to the years of build up and hype.
Unread 05-04-2018, 10:39 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrykieran2 View Post
Watched Isle Of Dogs yesterday and I have to say that if you get the chance then you should really go see it. Truly believe it's Wes Anderson's best movie and is really fun and charming
I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but randomly stumbled on the soundtrack and noticed they used some music from some of Kurosawa's movies.
Unread 05-29-2018, 02:32 AM
Rookie

I'm not sure if I think Deadpool 2 is better than the inaugrual Deadpool. But both times I had helluva fun time.

Have you guys seen it?
Unread 03-10-2019, 04:25 PM
Minor League

After almost a year weíre back!

Figured Iíd comment on the recent watchings of Alita, How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Captain Marvel.

How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World was a well made end to the series though having watch the other 2 pretty recently itís intriguing how they retcon previous movies as now the bad guy is a famous dragon hunter whoís killed all the other night furyís. Took my two kids to see it and they were captivated the whole movie laughing and crying at all the appropriate moments so it definitely gets its target audience.

Alita I think should get way more attention then Iíve seen. Now while I havenít read the manga or seen the anime I think the world and characters are fascinating. I really hope it gets a sequel because theyíve set so much up and left me with questions I want to know the answers to which is making me think more about checking out said manga and anime.

Captain Marvel was your standard Marvel movie you either like it or you donít at this point as they didnít do anything turly different besides it being a female hero. In my opinion they were a little heavy handed with the whole girl power thing but it didnít ruin the movie or anything. Kinda disappointed with how fury ends up loosing his eye it felt like a letdown to me but the theater I was in popped big for it. Mid credit scene was a great way to set up endgame.
Unread 04-28-2019, 12:37 AM
Living Legend

Finally saw Captain Marvel and enjoyed it more than most people seem to. Endgame tomorrow!
Unread 05-07-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver3 View Post
How to Train Your Dragon The Hidden World was a well made end to the series though having watch the other 2 pretty recently itís intriguing how they retcon previous movies as now the bad guy is a famous dragon hunter whoís killed all the other night furyís. Took my two kids to see it and they were captivated the whole movie laughing and crying at all the appropriate moments so it definitely gets its target audience.
I haven's seen it so far, had some hesitation, but after your post, I definitely will. Then I plan to write a short essay for this website. I really liked the first film, and somehow it changed my attitude to computer-animated fantasy.

Last edited by Incery : 05-08-2019 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Typing error
Unread 05-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysin View Post
Finally saw Captain Marvel and enjoyed it more than most people seem to. Endgame tomorrow!
Another example of the bipolar SJW-craze. People hated her comments so much they swore off the movie before seeing anything. Any buzz is good buzz. This proves it once again. Is it decent? It's been a while since I saw a superhero movie and the last one is so loaded with "buildup" that I'm not going to watch it.

I'll be watching Star Wars eventually in december. I'm itching to see Detective Pikachu though. It's getting modest ratings so it can't be bad as a random no-expectations movie.
Unread 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Living Legend

Godzilla: King of the Monsters was incredible
Unread 06-06-2019, 01:15 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Another example of the bipolar SJW-craze. People hated her comments so much they swore off the movie before seeing anything. Any buzz is good buzz. This proves it once again. Is it decent? It's been a while since I saw a superhero movie and the last one is so loaded with "buildup" that I'm not going to watch it.
I wonder if it would have been as big of a hit had it not come out so close to Endgame. Brie Larson really does come across as a very unlikable woman. I would say the role was miscast, I am not sure who would be a good fit though.

I saw Brightburn and thought it was pretty good. I went into it with very low expectations due to poor reviews and bad word of mouth. But then again, reviewers tend to always speak poorly of anything with a hint of horror in it so I probably should have not put too much stock in what they say.

I saw MA last night. On the surface it was a decent movie but it is one of those movies where the more you think about it, the more you grow to dislike it.

I call that the Phantom Menace syndrome (I guess it could be called Godfather III syndrome because that is the older of the two movies but you get my drift), where in the movie is fine upon watching it. However, the more you think about it, the more it sucks. That is what happened to me when I watched the Phantom Menace for the first time. I came out of it thinking, "Well it is not better than the older movies but it was not that bad. Darth Maul was awesome."

Then on the ride home I started picking the movie apart. Well this sucked and that was dumb, so forth and so on.

That was the only Star Wars movie that I ever did that with. In regards to the Last Jedi, I was sitting in the movie getting more and more annoyed over how much the movie sucked. That movie was just terrible...I actually held off on watching Solo because I was still annoyed by how awful TLJ was.

Which sucks because I actually enjoyed Solo once I got a chance to watch it.
Unread 06-20-2019, 03:51 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver3 View Post
After almost a year weíre back!

Figured Iíd comment on the recent watchings of Alita, How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Captain Marvel.

Alita I think should get way more attention then Iíve seen. Now while I havenít read the manga or seen the anime I think the world and characters are fascinating. I really hope it gets a sequel because theyíve set so much up and left me with questions I want to know the answers to which is making me think more about checking out said manga and anime.

Captain Marvel was your standard Marvel movie you either like it or you donít at this point as they didnít do anything turly different besides it being a female hero. In my opinion they were a little heavy handed with the whole girl power thing but it didnít ruin the movie or anything. Kinda disappointed with how fury ends up loosing his eye it felt like a letdown to me but the theater I was in popped big for it. Mid credit scene was a great way to set up endgame.
My girlfriend believes the How to Train Your Dragon series is the best series not from Pixar. I only saw the first movie but based on her reaction to the third one and mostly positive reviews from the series, I would like to watch the other two!

Alita is a badass movie and I love the cliffhanger ending. I want more about this world and her character. Also intrigued at the cameo at the end, hinting at a big time villain? I'm not familiar with the manga so it looks like a sequel would be promising.

Captain Marvel is great and I don't get why people are so butt-hurt. Larson is not the first celebrity to have their nose up their ass... but she can act very well regardless of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHK1978 View Post
I wonder if it would have been as big of a hit had it not come out so close to Endgame. Brie Larson really does come across as a very unlikable woman. I would say the role was miscast, I am not sure who would be a good fit though.

I saw Brightburn and thought it was pretty good. I went into it with very low expectations due to poor reviews and bad word of mouth. But then again, reviewers tend to always speak poorly of anything with a hint of horror in it so I probably should have not put too much stock in what they say.

I saw MA last night. On the surface it was a decent movie but it is one of those movies where the more you think about it, the more you grow to dislike it.

I call that the Phantom Menace syndrome (I guess it could be called Godfather III syndrome because that is the older of the two movies but you get my drift), where in the movie is fine upon watching it. However, the more you think about it, the more it sucks. That is what happened to me when I watched the Phantom Menace for the first time. I came out of it thinking, "Well it is not better than the older movies but it was not that bad. Darth Maul was awesome."

Then on the ride home I started picking the movie apart. Well this sucked and that was dumb, so forth and so on.

That was the only Star Wars movie that I ever did that with. In regards to the Last Jedi, I was sitting in the movie getting more and more annoyed over how much the movie sucked. That movie was just terrible...I actually held off on watching Solo because I was still annoyed by how awful TLJ was.

Which sucks because I actually enjoyed Solo once I got a chance to watch it.
Best part of TLJ is the lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo. Dare I say that the movie gets better every time I watch it? It's definitley not my favorite for sure but it's hard to top the initial series. I think we all know by now that Abrams can direct his own works but not others.