Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Phenom

Smile ZEN and the Art of Staying Classy

[A door opens. It is a little past one in the afternoon on a warm January day. The interior is a well-lit room. Along the walls are a smattering of chairs. There are open doors on the left and right walls, but a receptionist guards a closed door at the back of the room from behind her desk. Situated in an inauspicious Auckland neighborhood, this room would not look out of place in any random dentist or chiropractor’s office, but this is the gateway to the ZEN Temple. The door on the left leads to an open martial arts center where ZEN used to hold their shows until the company outgrew the small space several years ago. The door on the right leads to a training center (formerly the ZEN Temple dojo) used by members of the local community and the ZEN roster alike. Behind the guarded door lies the office of ZEN owner Halloween Knight.]
I’ve got spurs that jingle, jangle, jandal.

[Humming a not-so-quiet tune, in steps ‘Classy’ Paul Massey, retired veteran of the Oceania independent scene. Wearing a yellow cardigan, cargo shorts and jandals (aka sandals), Massey walks with an easy gait. Twirling his trademark cane at his side, he approaches the desk of the receptionist.]

Kia ora Sandra, the big bad ghoul wanted to see me?

[The receptionist gives Massey a warm smile before waving him in. At the threshold of the door, Massey turns and looks directly into the camera.]

Oh, hello there. I’m ‘Classy’ Paul Massey, but the stage directions probably already told you that, didn’t they? No worries, this is ZEN, and we do things a little differently. You probably want to know more about what I’m doing here. Well, in the beginning…no, that’s too far back. Technically, I have been with ZEN from the beginning, not the beginning of time, just the beginning of the company. That was almost ten years ago, my goodness how the time flies.

Before Halloween Knight convinced me to come on as the road agent for his carnival of ridiculousness, I had a decent career. Nothing flashy, no titles, but I carved out a living, saved my money, and now own a gym a couple of miles from here that doubles as my pension plan. The little bit HK pays me for my advice gives me some walking around money to take the missus out for a nice dinner every now and then.

ZEN is a, well, interesting wrestling promotion. A company full of contradictions really. We offer family-friendly violence, packaged with realistic absurdism that’s risqué but never features T&A, wrapped in a nice bow of dead serious camp. We’ve been called an abomination by some, a bad parody of Mexican wrestling, an outsider’s view of Lucha Libra on Halloween.

Really, that’s all true, but hey, enough people in New Zealand like us, so who am I to argue with them?

We’ve had our struggles, sure. Starting a company at the height of a global financial crisis will do that, but we’ve survived, the biggest reason being the dedication of our fans. Hell, when we set up that Kickstarter two years ago, we didn’t think we’d get ten people to kick in, let alone the more than half a million dollars we actually ended up raising. Now, we’re close to selling out the Reliquary of Scale, putting 1,000 butts in the seats at every show. We’ve come so far…

Sorry, where was I? Oh yes, why I’m here. Well, if you read the preview, you’d know that once I step through this door, old HK is going to offer me the position of head booker for ZEN. Why he wants to do that, I have no idea, but I’ve given up trying to second guess a man that dresses up as a skeleton every day.

I suppose I better find out what the Godfather of Ghouls wants.

[Turning the knob to the office door, Massey peers his head in.]

How’s it going HK?
Unread 10-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Phenom

Smile Show Listing

So here it is, my new diary. For those not familiar with my previous dynasty, it is Dark Phoenix Wrestling: A Woman Scorned.

I’ve decided to do this diary while I am taking a hiatus from DPW. So what can you expect from this?
  1. Absurdism: ZEN revolves around the concept of a Mirror Universe existing, so expect some pretty weird storylines
  2. Humor (or at least an attempt at it): I’ve dabbled with this in DPW, but one of ZEN’s key features is comedy, so expect the humor quotient to be much higher in this diary
  3. A fixed number of shows: I’ve already played out the two years that this diary will cover, so I already know what happens, and even though I’ll be posting cards for the events, there won’t actually be any prizes for winning
  4. (Mostly) Static Roster: ZEN already has a pretty big roster, so for the most part, any additions will be rookies or wrestlers for specific storyline arcs
  5. Not that many interludes: I enjoy doing interludes, but there will only be some in this diary when the story calls for it.
The goal will be to post two shows a week, but we’ll see if I can manage that pace. The shows will most likely be around 1,000 words each, and the first one will be up next Saturday after I post the roster overview on Wednesday.

Here’s hoping people enjoy this.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Show Listing:

1. Way of the Dreamer
2. Way of the Scholar
3. Way of the Healer
4. Way of the Philosopher
5. Way of the Poet
6. Way of the Jester
7. Way of the Warrior 2016
8. Way of the Liar
9. Way of the Spy
10. Way of the Dead
11. Way of the Assassin
12. Way of the Thief

Perfect Scores:
DAVEFAN95 [3]
Uncrewed
HiPlus [2]
DarEatWorld
Neighborhood Editor
Pteroid

1. Way of the Dreamer
2. Way of the Scholar
3. Way of the Healer
4. Coming December 16!
5. Coming December 23!
6. Coming December 30!
7. Coming January 6!
8. Coming January 13!
9. Coming January 20!
10. Coming January 27!
11. Coming February 3!
12. Coming February 10!

Perfect Scores:
DAVEFAN95 [2]
HiPlus

Last edited by MrWolf101 : 12-10-2017 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added show links and schedule
Unread 10-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Phenom

Well, I guess I'll read it. Maybe if I read it really fast, you'll go back to DPW

Also, didn't WCW get into trouble filming two years of content in advance back in the 90s?
Unread 10-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Major League

Yeah, looking forward to see what this will be like. Massey sounds like a good protagonist to watch ZEN through. ZEN looks like a promotion that I'd be into if it existed near me.
Unread 10-01-2017, 09:01 PM

Don't know all that much about the history of the C-Verse, but I do know I'd spend my life savings on tickets if It was a real promotion, I always get a sense in my mind its like Lucha Underground but slightly more sillier and done in a better way.
Unread 10-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Minor League

As Booker T would say, oh, this is gonna be GOODT
Unread 10-02-2017, 02:48 AM
Rookie

HURRY HURRY POST NOW I WANNA READ

Also,

Quote:
Also, didn't WCW get into trouble filming two years of content in advance back in the 90s?
Heh heh. Nice.
Unread 10-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Phenom

Smile ZEN Roster Overview - January 2016

[The room is a poorly lit den. At his desk sits Paul Massey. With bags under his eyes, Massey looks much worse for wear than when we last saw him. A stout woman around Massey’s age walks into the room and sets a cup of tea on Massey’s right. Massey looks up at the woman with love in his eyes, and she exits after returning his gaze with a warm smile.]
It still doesn’t make sense to me. Why would Cyanide just step aside like that? I never bought the whole ‘I need to spend more time with my family’ bit. Not when politicians do it, and certainly not when someone who claims to live and breathe ZEN does it. I love Sheila and all, but she would never ask me to put aside my career for her.

Not like I could down the offer. As weird as ZEN can get, I still love the kids that wrestle for us. I’ve seen almost all of them grow up through the dojo, if I didn’t recruit them myself. We’ve had some successes. John Gordon’s working his way up RAW’s card (despite that long-lost brother angle). Lone Shark is main eventing APW. Alex Arturro is starting to get noticed. Even X-Calibre and Massacre are putting in good work in Japan.

So, if HK wants me to guide the company for two years while Cyanide resolves whatever it is he needs to, he could have made a worse choice.

[Spreading out several loose pages of notes in front of him, Massey slips on a pair of reading glasses.]

Alright, let’s figure what we’ve got right now.

ZEN: Art of Wrestling
(January 2016)

Popularity in New Zealand: E (32)
Importance in New Zealand: E- (24)
Size: Small
Prodcut: Lucha Fun, Zen Style! (Key Features: Lucha Libre and Comedy)
TV Deals: None
Bank Balance: $500,000

Roster

Main Eventers

Halloween Knight

Year Wrestling: 9
Alignment: Heel
Gimmick: Evil Doer
Popularity: D- (39)
Might as well start with the big bad bossman himself. To HK’s credit, he’s never abused his position as owner when it came to Cyanide’s booking. He didn’t even give himself a creative control clause in his contract.

You can criticise HK for having too many runs as ZEN Master, but he’s the most over wrestler in the company, and at the end of each of those reigns, he's put over our next big babyface.

HK’s been in a feud with Pumpkin Jack ever since old Jack won the title from him last August. The result has been a good string of matches from Jack as he takes on a list of HK-inspired baddies, but now it's time to get these two back in the ring for the big rematch.
Devilfish

Years Wrestling: 7
Alignment: Face
Gimmick: Bubbly Babyface
Popularity: D- (38)
Good old Devilfish. It’s hard to believe the kid is only 25. In some ways, we’re lucky he’s barely 170 pounds soaking wet because otherwise RAW would have poached him long ago.

Every time he’s in the ring, Devilfish has the chance to steal the show, a role he stepped into seamlessly when his partner Lone Shark committed to APW.

He’s also benefited from coming out on top so far in his current feud with Cyanide. Speaking of the Prince of Poison…
Cyanide

Years Wrestling: 9
Gimmick: Evil Doer
Popularity: E+ (35)
I still don’t get why Cyanide would give up being booker, but I guess anyone can get burnt out.

The rare technician on the roster, Cyanide could probably have a good match with a broom. Of course, ever since Devilfish busted up the F.E.A.R. stable, Cyanide's been on a bit of a losing streak, but maybe if I give him a few wins, he might just tell me what this whole thing is about.
Pumpkin Jack
(ZEN Master)

Years Wrestling: 8
Gimmick: Mysterious
Popularity: E+ (33)
Ah, the enigma that is Pumpkin Jack. I’ll admit I got outvoted when HK and Cyanide decided to make Jack ZEN Master for the first time back in August. Sure, he had a good run as Conceptual champion, but I don’t know, I just think something’s…missing.

It doesn’t help that Devilfish is still more over than him, and that in almost every way, Jack trails the Multi-Colored Master of Mischief when it comes to in-ring work. Maybe I’m being too hard on Jack. I suppose with a longer go with the belt, he may just surprise me.
Super Zero

Years Wrestling: 7
Popularity: E+ (32)
At least Super Zero trusts me enough to tell me his real name (Arlington Bilke for those wondering). I suppose it helps that I was the one that came up with his gimmick. When every other masked wrestler in the company was trying to go for the scariest or most colorful costume, I told Zero to go the other direction. Why not just be plain? Expressionless?

It’s worked out for the most part. He’s had a run with every title in the company, but it’s starting to feel like he’s topped out with Devilfish and Pumpkin Jack ahead of him in the depth chart.

I’ve been telling him that he needs to start having his wife, Molly Cuddle, manage him instead of his off-again, on-again tag partner Vertigo, but Zero’s insistent that he wants Molly to succeed on her own. Now that I’m booker, maybe I’ll bring it up to him again.

Upper Midcarders

Man O’War

Years Wrestling: 9
Gimmick: Comic Book Hero
Popularity: E (30)
You’d think we would have paired Man O’War and Devilfish up as some kind of Aquatic Avengers by now.

Oh well, a missed opportunity. The Hero from the Deep has done pretty well for himself despite that. Even with his ego, he hasn’t complained since we moved him into a gatekeeper role, and he’s been the perfect soldier in his feud with Damian Dastardly.

I’d like to say there’s more in the cards for someone that’s been with ZEN since the beginning, but sometimes it’s better to know when someone’s entering the last stretch of their career.
Vertigo

Gimmick: Show Stealer
Popularity: E (29)
If it had been up to me, Vertigo would have been fired long ago. He’s obnoxious, arrogant, and worst of all, talented enough to back it up.

I was at least able to convince HK and Cyanide to put him in a perpetual feud with C-W-A so that those two blowhards wouldn’t contaminate anyone else on the roster with their piss poor attitudes. Of course, Vertigo’s been grumbling lately about getting moved up to the main event, but that’s not going to happen as long as I have anything to do with it…oh wait, I do have the final say now!
Damian Dastardly
(ZEN Conceptual Champion)

Years Pro: 3
Gimmick: Cocky Youth
Popularity: E (27)
When people ask who the future of ZEN is, Damian's is the name that always comes up first. He’s got the look, the size, and the ability that would make him a star in any company. We’re just lucky that those promotions over in Australia are too busy fighting each other to watch our show, otherwise Damian might not be ours for long.

I do have to give the kid credit. The idea he had to act like the Conceptual title is a real belt, just invisible, is freaking brilliant. That alone is reason enough to push him to the moon.
Shaolin

Gimmick: Ninja (obviously)
Popularity: E (25)
It’s sad, but sometimes I forget that Shaolin is still on the roster. Hot right out of the gate, Shaolin became Conceptual champion at 21, but has stalled ever since.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great act, but it’s a little one note. I mean, how many times can you see a Kiwi do bad karate chops before you get bored. Still, there might be no one better at getting the crowd to laugh, and with our need for comedy, that’ll keep him employed.
SubUrban Legend

Years Wrestling: 4
Gimmick: Rapper
Popularity: E (24)
I should be embarrassed about saddling this kid with a rapper gimmick, but he really is trying to make a career in the music business, so why not?

Not that I’m hoping he fails, but Legend’s got a big future ahead of him in wrestling if he wants it. There’s no one on the roster more naturally charismatic than him, and he can straight go in the ring.

We’ve talked for years about splitting up him and Killer B, but they're so good together, and our tag division is so lacking in true teams, it’s holding him back at this point. Still, even though I’ve got the full authority now, I’m not sure if I can make that call quite yet.

Midcarders

C-W-A

Years Pro: 10
Gimmick: Clown (double obviously)
Oh boy. What can I say about C-W-A? The guy is so anti-social he doesn’t even use the locker room. At this point, he’s a bit of relic to the way the company used to be when we first started. We had so many brawlers then (garbage wrestling I call it), and now he’s the only one left outside of Mister Hyde.

And man, he’s on downside of his career, and he knows it, and that’s only made him even more prickly than usual. Considering he hasn’t really had any direction since John Gordon left the company, maybe it’s time to get that last little bit of what the Reaper with the Shiny Red Nose has left in the tank and move on.
Killer B

Gimmick: Underdog
It would be easy to overlook Killer B, what with him being in the shadow of SubUrban Legend, but there’s just something about him that screams ‘I can make this company money.’

What that something is, I’m not really sure yet. He’s all skin and bones, but he’s quick and can go in the ring as good as anyone on the roster. The fact that he’s been able to keep up with his partner for so long is a credit to him, so I’ll have to make sure he doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.
Pink Spider

Years Wrestling: 5
Gimmick: Fabulous
Ah yes, Pink Spider. I have to say, this guy took the gimmick we gave him and ran with it. It’s not every wrestler that can straddle the line of what could be a straight-up offensive caricature (trust me, I know).

Yes, he’s done a good job with it, but I’m starting to think having to put comedy first in his act has held him back. We’ve paired him and Trevor Feather with our top project, Kalliope Woodchuck, so maybe if Spider delivers in that feud, it’ll be time to move him up the card as a serious heel.
HalloWarped
(ZEN Harmony Tag Team Champion)

Popularity: E (22)
I don’t think there’s anyone I’ve argued about with HK more than HalloWarped. I get it, it’s hard for HK to be impartial when it comes to his one and only protégé, but I just don’t see it.

I mean, yeah, he’s got the look, and on paper, he’s got the skills to go straight to the top, but it just hasn’t come together. Maybe being in a tag team has let him get away with not giving 100%. Maybe if I get him out of his comfort zone, that’ll be the spark he needs to finally push his way to the top. Still, his team’s feud with the Knights Temple has been money for nearly two years, so maybe I let him stew in the midcard for just a little bit longer.
Toady
(ZEN Harmony Tag Team Champion)

Years Wrestling: 5
Gimmick: Troublemaker
Popularity: E- (22)
Oh Toady. As the original graduate of the ZEN Temple, he was our first foray into seeing if we could get non-masked wrestlers over in the company. And yeah, the kid’s athletic, but that’s mostly his ability to jump ridiculously far. That’s why we paired him with HalloWarped, because outside of that jumping, there’s not much to Toady.

In five years, I don’t think he’s gotten any better in the ring, so if we ever do split up these two, I don’t know how long Toady would stay with the company.
Trevor Feather

Years Wrestling: 2
Gimmick: Absolutely Fabulous
Popularity: E- (20)
The other half of Pinky and the Vane, Trevor might just end up a top heel for us. He certainly has the natural ability to get under the crowd’s skin, and having him study under Pink Spider seems to be the best way for him to learn the rest of what he’ll need.

Of course, he’s not really suited for the pure camp that Spider goes for, but he’s been able to keep up so far.
Kalliope Woodchuck

Years Wrestling: Rookie
Gimmick: Bubbly Babyface
Popularity: F+ (14)
There’s my girl.

What? I discovered her at my gym.

For all our talk about equality of opportunity, ZEN never had a female wrestler on our roster until I convinced HK to sign Kalliope and I think she can be a star, a really big star. Since debuting early last year, Kalliope hasn’t done anything to dissuade me from pushing her to the moon. I’m thinking after another feud or two, she’ll be ready to challenge for the Conceptual title, and then the sky’s the limit.

Lower Midcarders

Mister Hyde

Years Wrestling: 1
Gimmick: Monster
Popularity: F+ (13)
At 280 pounds, Hyde is our largest wrestler now that Massacre is gone, but he’s got a LONG way to go before he can claim the mantle of the Miserable Mauler. The tag team with Bruce Strange is a good start, and the next year will be really telling on if that pairing can be something big for us going forward.
Azazel

Years Wrestling: 3
Gimmick: Split Personality
Popularity: F+ (12)
Oh yeah, Azazel. I really thought the split personality gimmick would be something that would get him over with the crowd, but they aren’t blind. This kid, for all his flashiness, just isn’t good enough in the ring yet. I suppose he is still young, but if he doesn’t show any progress, I don’t really see a future for him in ZEN.
Bruce Strange

Gimmick: Supernatural Hunter
Popularity: F+ (12)
I’m not really familiar with what ‘meta’ means, but HK and Cyanide tell me that’s what Bruce Strange’s gimmick is supposed to be.

What do you do when you have a company built on the premise of a Mirror Universe and other supernatural happenings? Why have a character that hates all that and wants to destroy it, of course! I guess I can see why that would be a commentary on the criticism we’ve received from our most die-hard fans that we are moving away from what ZEN is supposed to be about, but I don’t know if that’ll help Bruce get over any.
Booster Boy

Alingment: Heel
Gimmick: Cocky Youth
Popularity: F (9)
So, Boosee Boy...Boster Boy? I don’t know. Here’s a kid that’s paid his dues as a jobber, but I don’t know where he fits in yet. Maybe he needs a new gimmick, or a manager, if he’s going to move up to that next level.
Buckminster Snark

Gimmick: Rich Snob
Popularity: F (8)
Wrestlers like Snark are the reason I warned HK and Cyanide about moving away from the masked workers ZEN was built on. Honestly, I can’t tell some of these kids apart, they just all look so…bland.

Snark’s claim to fame is that he is the last graduate of the ZEN Temple, which you’d think would at least give him the drive to make something of himself. All the reports from the Temple were that he’s got some of the best cardio in the company, and considering he is one of our few middleweights, that might actually be the makings of a good heel.

Openers

Blue Flea

Years Wrestling: 2
Gimmick: Underdog
Popularity: F (8)
Well, we’re at the dregs now. Flea’s been running the ‘Unsquashable Rookie Sensation’ gimmick for almost three years now, if that gives you any idea of how little we’ve been paying attention to him.

Our usual routine for rookies is to job them out their first year, but for Flea, he never moved past that stage. With so many talented workers coming up, it might just be time to cut bait with this one.
Ferdy Lloyd

Gimmick: None
Popularity: F- (0)
Gimmick none? Is that possible? Well, he did just turn 18, so maybe Cyanide was waiting for that before coming up with anything for Ferdy. He is Cyanide’s protégé after all, so I’m sure the Poisonous One wouldn’t leave his student hanging.

Ferdy hasn’t even wrestled an official match for us yet, so he’ll have everything to prove during his long first year of jobbing.
Tag Teams

Pinkie & the Vane

Pink Spider and Trevor Feather

The Ghost Hunters

Bruce Strange and Mister Hyde

The Knights Temple

Killer B and SubUrban Legend

The Sky Kings

Super Zero and Vertigo

Warp-Jump

HalloWarped and Toady

Staff

‘Classy’ Paul Massey

Role: Road Agent/Booker
Hey, that’s me! Now that I’m the booker, I think I’ll scrap the angle where I was going to manage Pinky and the Vane. I don’t want to be seen as playing favorites after all, right?
Dustin Thane

Role: Colour Commentator
When Alex Arturro left, I didn’t think we’d be able to find anyone that could match the Experience, but Thane’s done an admirable job so far. He’s got just the right mix of energy, goofiness, and willingness to play dumb. It helps that Dustin’s been obsessed with ZEN since he was a teenager, and even after flunking out of the Temple as a wrestler, he’s a good enough kid that we found odd jobs for him to do until this spot opened up.
Guru Vishni

Role: Manager for Warp-Jump
I don’t know if there is anyone more ingrained in the mythology of ZEN that Guru. He did create the portal to the Mirror Universe after all.

A true heat magnet, Guru’s been the manager of almost every top heel in the company at some point, but now we’ve moved him to guiding Warp-Jump in the hopes that he can do for them what he’s done for all his other clients. It helps that Toady’s backstory is that Guru transformed him into a person from a real frog and that he 'pulled' HalloWarped out from the Mirror Universe.
Molly Cuddle

Role: Manager for Vertigo
Nice girl. Not much on the mic, but hey, it’s a couple hundred bucks a show to have her come out and add a little sunshine to our dark carnival. I mean, yeah, it’s a favor to Super Zero to have his wife get a paycheck from us, but in the end, I suppose it’s worth it.
Sparky Sparks

Role: Announcer
Sparky’s been a steady force in the broadcast booth since our third show, but is it bad that the main reason we don’t look for another announcer is that he can bake anyone under the table? Of course, there was that sponge cake scandal where Necromancer…well, this is a family show.
Steven Yale

Role: Referee
You’ve heard of the saying, ‘that referee must be blind?’ Well in ZEN, the referee really is blind. Not legally of course, but it’s a fun gimmick, and it allows us to pretty much do whatever we want with interference, foreign objects, sponge cakes, etc. without having to come up with cheesy ways of reinventing the ref bump spot. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Not a great roster, but a pretty good one considering we're a niche product.

[Leaning back in his chair, Massey relaxes for the first time on the night, but then suddenly jolts forward back to the desk.]

Oh, and, I better not forget what HK gave me as his goals for the next two years.
  • Can not hire any wrestler over the age of 35
  • Can not hire any wrestlers that are classed as MMA Crossover
  • Can not hire or resign any member of the roster that has been in trouble with the law
  • Must improve on our ranking of #35 most important company in the world
  • Make $200,000
The first few are pretty easy. ZEN’s always been about youth, and our roster has to be one of the youngest in the business, so I don’t see us adding anyone over 35 between now and 2018. MMA is getting a lot of buzz right now, but I don’t think anyone that works that style would fit in with our product.

Thankfully, we’ve always steered away from anyone that’s ever been in jail, but I should probably let the kids know before the next show that one slip up means they’re out of here now.

It shouldn’t be too hard to improve our standing in the world either. I’m not sure why HK cares about how we compare with companies in Europe or the Americas, but he’s the boss. Luckily, we might as well be on the other side of the world to RAW, APW, and DIW, so we should be able to do our thing without any interference.

The $200,000 profit goal though…I mean, ZEN’s never made a profit. We’ve never even been close to making a profit. Even if I released half the roster, we still wouldn’t break even every month. We needed a Kickstarter just to keep from going under. I just don’t…

Oh my God, that’s it.

[Massey leans back in his chair again, and this time rubs his tired eyes. A slight redness has come over his face and his jaw is clenched.]

HK isn’t dumb. He knows that we’ll never make money. He knows that in a few years we’ll have to go back to our fans and ask them to bail us out again. When that happens, he’ll need someone to blame. It can’t be Cyanide, his friend.

HK doesn’t want me to help the company, he wants a patsy.

[His hands shaking, Massey grabs the cup of tea and takes a long swig of the now luke-warm liquid.]

Screw it. HK wants someone to take the fall, I’m his man. I’ll do the two years, smiling all the way, because that’s how I do everything. With Class.
Unread 10-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Major League

Christ, HK, this how you do Old Man Massey? You really are a ghoul...

Hope this goes well for you, sir, I've attempted one or two ZEN diaries but I feel like I get to wrapped up in the zaniness of it all and let myself lose the plot more or less. Perhaps your more grounded approach (read: Not portraying the entire roster as living their characters) will lead to success, you've certainly got a fan in me.
Unread 10-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Phenom

Smile Card for ZEN Way of the Dreamer

Big thanks everyone for the kind words. Writing in the new format is going well, and the first show should clock in at around ~2,500 words. Barring anything unforeseen, it should be up on Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudo_Nym View Post
Well, I guess I'll read it. Maybe if I read it really fast, you'll go back to DPW
Oh boy, I'm finally back to booking DPW, and let's just say, stuff is going down in a way that'll I'll have to write about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
As Booker T would say, oh, this is gonna be GOODT
The most ironic part of this is Dustin Thane is going to make Booker look like a Rhodes scholar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Avalanche View Post
Yeah, looking forward to see what this will be like. Massey sounds like a good protagonist to watch ZEN through. ZEN looks like a promotion that I'd be into if it existed near me.
I'm hoping the voice of Massey will work. The first two posts have kind of been the two faces of what I see ZEN being (one goofy, one dark). We'll see after the first show, as there's a chance that shifting between the two will be too jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin Walker View Post
HURRY HURRY POST NOW I WANNA READ
Haha, patience is a virtue.

Honestly, if I can get anyone to laugh from this diary a tenth of how funny your diaries are, I'll consider this a success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neighborhood Editor View Post
Don't know all that much about the history of the C-Verse, but I do know I'd spend my life savings on tickets if It was a real promotion, I always get a sense in my mind its like Lucha Underground but slightly more sillier and done in a better way.
Haha, yeah. I imagine with the nature of the product and the fact that most of the wrestlers have nowhere else that will take them, ZEN would have a very rabid and loyal fan base if it were real.

I'm looking at ZEN as if it were Lucha Underground as a Saturday morning cartoon written by someone who knows nothing about Lucha Libre. Going back through the first few shows, I realize that a lot of that silliness that I would have booked now is missing, so I'll have to take special care to emphasize those moments where it does exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pteroid View Post
Christ, HK, this how you do Old Man Massey? You really are a ghoul...

Hope this goes well for you, sir, I've attempted one or two ZEN diaries but I feel like I get to wrapped up in the zaniness of it all and let myself lose the plot more or less. Perhaps your more grounded approach (read: Not portraying the entire roster as living their characters) will lead to success, you've certainly got a fan in me.
Yeah, this angle has the added benefit of giving me an out for some of the weirder decisions I make in the game.

Haha, thanks. I'll admit that seeing the other ZEN diaries inspired me to finally dive into this. I don't know if I'd call it more grounded, but I think it helps I came into this playthrough with a couple limited goals and with the idea that it would only last for two in-game years. Of course, you'll notice some similarities between my first show and yours.

Speaking of the first show, I know I said there wasn't going to be any prediction contests in this diary, but I figured I'd post a card for it anyway.

Quote:
ZEN Way of the Dreamer

Non-Title Match
Damian Dastardly vs Ferdy Lloyd

The Ghost Hunters (Bruce Strange and Mister Hyde) vs The Sky Kings (Super Zero and Vertigo) w/ Molly Cuddle

Pink Spider vs Shaolin

2 out of 3 Falls for the ZEN Harmony Tag Team Titles (Lucha Libre Rules)
The Knights Temple (Killer B and SubUrban Legend) vs Warp-Jump (HalloWarped and Toady) (c) w/ Guru Vishni

Table Match
Cyanide vs Devilfish

For the ZEN Master Title
Halloween Knight vs Pumpkin Jack (c)
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Minor League

A Rhodes Scholar, you say? Do you mean "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, or more like Damian Sandow?

I love the angle on the diary, that Massey's being set up to fail. Provides a great through-line for the diary, an overarching story - can Massey somehow make an impossible profit, despite all odds? You've already established your first underdog babyface, and you haven't even written a single show out yet!

Also. AAA starts with $250,000 in the bank. ZEN starts with $500,000. Supposedly, ZEN had to have a Kickstarter to stay in business. Yet ZEN starts with twice the money AAA has, despite AAA being seen as one of the most steady promotions in the C-Verse. I'm trying to Regal my way to some kind of logical explanation for something that makes no damned sense. I guess I'll go with "Some big money mark with far more cash than sense donated several hundred thousand dollars, totally anonymously" to explain why a 20-year old promotion in the USA has half the cash of some obscure New Zealand promotion
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjames View Post
A Rhodes Scholar, you say? Do you mean "Dashing" Cody Rhodes, or more like Damian Sandow?

I love the angle on the diary, that Massey's being set up to fail. Provides a great through-line for the diary, an overarching story - can Massey somehow make an impossible profit, despite all odds? You've already established your first underdog babyface, and you haven't even written a single show out yet!

Also. AAA starts with $250,000 in the bank. ZEN starts with $500,000. Supposedly, ZEN had to have a Kickstarter to stay in business. Yet ZEN starts with twice the money AAA has, despite AAA being seen as one of the most steady promotions in the C-Verse. I'm trying to Regal my way to some kind of logical explanation for something that makes no damned sense. I guess I'll go with "Some big money mark with far more cash than sense donated several hundred thousand dollars, totally anonymously" to explain why a 20-year old promotion in the USA has half the cash of some obscure New Zealand promotion
Barry Fitzgerald finally came through for them.
Unread 10-05-2017, 10:53 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHero View Post
Barry Fitzgerald finally came through for them.
In my diary, Barry Fitzgerald opened up YEPW. So I guess the dude is a money mark no matter what universe he's in!
Unread 10-05-2017, 06:07 PM

I really want someone to do this type of company product, I feel it get over pretty good, expect for the mega smarks, and I'd probably give my go to pod-caster Jim Cornette a heart attack.

Anyway really liking this so far!
Unread 10-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Phenom

Smile Chapter 1: Sweet Dreams

ZEN: Art of Wrestling Presents…

Way of the Dreamer

From the Reliquary of Scale
Auckland, New Zealand
Saturday, January 14, 2016
Attendance: 861

[Camera shot. Hallway wall. Pumpkin Jack stands in front of a ZEN banner. The orange slash of a smile on Jack’s mask appears wider than usual.]

Pumpkin Jack: I had a dream the day I set foot in the Temple to become the ZEN Master. I scratched and I clawed my way to the top, and now I stand on top of the mountain.

[Jack pats the ZEN Master title on his shoulder for extra emphasis.]

Jack: But that ghoul won’t leave me alone…

[The feed starts to go in and out, making Jack’s words hard to hear.]

Jack: …calls me…thorn in his side…

[The feeds cuts completely out, then shifts to a fog-filled graveyard. Deep baritone laughter is heard. A dark figure stands in the oddly illuminated mist, a baseball bat over the apparition’s right shoulder. The laughter morphs into a disturbing mix of signing and humming.]

Figure: You may say you’re a dreamer, but you’re not the only one…Jack!

[Turning to face the camera, the figure in the familiar skeleton mask lets out another peal of spine-chilling laughter before destroying several pumpkins with his baseball bat to end the video.]

Segment Rating: D+

[Cut to the Reliquary of Scale. Pan shot of the hot crowd. Switch to a close-up of the announce team.]
Sparky Sparks: Strong words from Halloween Knight.
Dustin Thane: Hmmm, that name sounds familiar.

Sparks: Halloween Knight? You mean the owner of ZEN, four-time ZEN Master, and your boss?

Thane: Really?! That's all one person? I always thought it was just different people in the same costume who all happened to really hate pumpkins. Go figure!

Sparks: I…

[Sparks trails off as Ferdy Lloyd makes his way to the ring to some generic rock music.]

Match #1: Damian Dastardly vs Ferdy Lloyd – Non-Title

Paul Massey here. You might have been expecting a blow-by-blow description of the action, or a real brief summary of the match events. Instead, this is going to be a bit of review and self-reflection on my own booking, and the performances of the wrestlers involved.

This match, not sure what I was expecting. I made it non-title because it’s Ferdy’s first ever match, and he sure did wrestle like it was. He’s greener than the inside of a kiwi, so it’ll probably be best to leave him off the main show for a while.

Thankfully, Damian is such a heat magnet it didn’t even matter that Ferdy crapped the bed. Dastardly gets the easy win after toying with the face, setting up the post-match angle.

Winner via Pinfall at 7:27 - Damian Dastardly
Match Rating: D-

[Celebrating his victory, Damian taunts his defeated opponent as Ferdy heads backstage. Going to the timekeeper’s area, Dastardly grabs his invisible belt and holds up the unseen object to loud boos from the fans. The boos continue until a rush of water is heard through the venue's sound system, followed by a catchphrase that the whole crowd shouts out in unison.]

By Neptune’s Beard!

[Zoom in on the stage. Man O’War walks out and strikes a pose, hands on hips, for the now cheering audience.]

Man O’War: Dastardly, you sea dog! You cheated me out of my title, and now you prance around with it like a sailor on shore-leave. You can deny me my rematch no more!

[Man O’War makes his way quickly towards Dastardly. Zoom in on Dastardly’s face. Damian clearly wants no part of his rival, but before he can retreat, Man O’War reaches him and the two brawl. The pair trade punches until Damian picks up his invisible belt and clocks Man O’War with it. Man O’War sells the blow, crashing to the floor, allowing Damian to make a hasty retreat.]

Segment Rating: D

Match #2: The Ghost Hunters (Bruce Strange and Mister Hyde) vs The Sky Kings (Super Zero and Vertigo) w/ Molly Cuddle

It's been a few shows since Super Zero and Vertigo tagged together, but I knew they’re professional enough that it wouldn’t matter. They may not have the chemistry of the Knights Temple, but both men did a good job of showing that they were trying to one-up each other over the course of the match.

Bruce Strange and Mister Hyde, on the other hand, not the best of showings. Hyde really had a problem getting his offense to look menacing, while Strange seemed to be just going through the motions. Bruce takes the fall to Vertigo, and I think the Ghost Hunters are a long way off from getting in the tag title picture.

Winners via Pinfall at 7:21 – The Sky Kings
Match Rating: D

[Vertigo celebrates with his manager Molly Cuddle, who doesn’t hesitate to give her husband, Super Zero, a congratulatory hug as well. The trio start the journey up the ramp, but at the top, a lumbering ball of yellow fury bowls Vertigo over. In the process, Molly is knocked over.]

Thane: Hey look, a clown!

Sparks: That’s C-W-A, Dustin, and he must still be angry about his loss to Vertigo last month.

[While Super Zero checks on his wife, C-W-A mounts Vertigo and rains down punches on his victim. The beating continues until Zero, stoic as always, delivers a dropkick to the side of C-W-A’s head, knocking the vengeful clown off his associate. Helping Vertigo up, Super Zero gathers his wife and leads the group to the safety of backstage.]

Segment Rating: D

[C-W-A shakes off the cobwebs and exits to boos. After a brief video hyping ZEN merchandise, the show is rejoined with Kalliope Woodchuck and Trevor Feather joining Sparky Sparks and Dustin Thane on commentary for the next match.]

Trevor Feather: Humph…

Kalliope Woodchuck: Is something bothering you Trevor?

Feather: Sparky, can you tell that hussy that I wouldn’t have even accepted your gracious offer to come out here if I knew she was going to be joining us.

Sparks: Now Trevor, I thought this would be a good chance for you two to patch things up.

Woodchuck: Yeah Trevor, I’ve never even done anything to you or Pink Spider. Why do both of you hate me so much?

Feather: Hate? I don’t hate you Kalliope, I despise you. You have no business being here. Wrestling should be about men, in tight spandex, oiled up…

[Feather trails off, and there is a few awkward moments of silence on the broadcast.]

Sparks: Did you have something else to add to that Trevor?

Feather: Sorry, lost my train of thought.

Segment Rating: E-

Match #3: Pink Spider vs Shaolin

This match works just as it should, the regularly scheduled break for our fans in the middle of the show. This wasn’t a pure comedy bout, more ‘sports entertainment,’ but it had its moments.

The banter between Woodchuck and Feather helped in the laughs department, but Spider being talked into trying some Kung Fu by Shaolin had the crowd really going.

I would have thought Spider would have performed a little better, but I suppose the distraction spot from Kalliope at the end of the match did make him look pretty stupid.

That’s right, I had my girl finally get fed up with the constant disrespect from both members of Pinky and the Vane. When she climbed up on the ring apron, Spider tried to attack her, leading to a Crane Kick from Shaolin on his off-balance opponent that gave ZEN’s number 1 (and only) ninja the win.

Winner via Pinfall at 6:35 – Shaolin
Match Rating: E+

[Arms outstretched, Pink Spider gets up selling utter confusion and disbelief at the result of the match. Before he can turn his anger on his opponent, Shaolin throws down a smoke bomb, and when the dense fog clears, the ninja is nowhere to be found.]

Sparks: Uh oh, I don’t like that look in Pink Spider’s eyes.

[Turning to find a smug Kalliope staring back at him, Spider shouts at Woodchuck, which allows Feather to sneak up behind her and pull Woodchuck down from the ring apron. With Kalliope now on the floor, Pinky and the Vane attack, to boos from the audience. The beatdown culminates with Spider ripping Woodchuck’s top off, leaving a red-faced Kalliope in her sports bra. When Spider realizes he is holding Kalliope’s top, he tosses the woman’s garment away in horror and shrieks a solitary…]

Spider: Eek!

Segment Rating: D-

Match #4: The Knights Temple (Killer B and SubUrban Legend) vs Warp-Jump (HalloWarped and Toady) w/ Guru Vishni – Two out of Three Falls for the ZEN Harmony Tag Team Titles (Lucha Libre Rules)

What a shit show. At least the wrestlers involved in the match all performed well.

On the heels of the come down match that preceded it, this contest did the job of getting the crowd hot again. The Knights Temple were their usual crisp and athletic selves, while HalloWarped shone for his team. It also looks like Toady is really benefiting from his ‘father’ Guru Vishni being his manager, so all good in those areas.

Where this went tits up was with each team having earned a fall, SubUrban Legend had HalloWarped set up for the Legend Killer (top rope leg drop) when Guru pushed him down from the turnbuckle.

Even though Steven Yale is supposed to be blind, the crash of Legend hitting the mat combined with Vishni cackling from the ring apron led to the referee calling for the DQ to give the Knights Temple the victory. What Yale forgot to do was award Killer B and SubUrban Legend the tag titles after the match, so now I’m going to have to figure out a way to explain all of that on the next show. Perfect.

Winners by a Score of 2-1 at 10:04 – The Knights Temple
Still ZEN Harmony Tag Team Champions – Warp-Jump
Match Rating: D

[More generic rock music is lended to a video package highlighting the long feud between Devilfish and Cyanide.]

[The video primarily concentrates on Devilfish’s dismantling of Cyanide’s F.E.A.R. stable, the Multi-Colored Master of Mischief sending one member of the group after another packing from ZEN. The package also emphasizes that Devilfish even had the edge in the mind games department until the Prince of Poison put him through a table at the last show, leading to the stipulation for their match tonight.
]

Segment Rating: E+

Match #5: Cyanide vs Devilfish – Tables Match

I can always count on these two to deliver. I should expect nothing less when they’ve got a combined 20 years with ZEN, but still, it is refreshing to see two guys with nothing left to prove still give it their all to try to steal the show.

Even though Devilfish was off his game, the crowd was 100% behind him (it helps that Cyanide is a master in getting the fans to rally for his opponent). I had the action be even throughout, so both would come out strong from this, but in the end, this was all about Devilfish getting the big win over his heated rival.

I can neither confirm nor deny that I made Cyanide take the loss because of how him and HK set me up, but even Cyanide said after the show that I made the right call. The massive pop when Devilfish reversed a Skull Splitter (top rope DDT) into a hurricanrana to put Cyanide through the table certainly helped back that up.

Winner via Table Break at 9:56 – Devilfish
Match Rating: D+

[Cyanide leaves quickly, while Devilfish only exits after celebrating with the crowd. With the ring now empty, ominous music fills the Reliquary of Scale, punctuated by sharp beats straight out of a slasher film. The audience reacts with boos to the appearance of Halloween Knight on the stage, the former ZEN Master somehow able to convey a sneer full of pure contempt for the fans through his mask.]

Sparks: Halloween Knight has been playing mind games with Pumpkin Jack ever since he lost his title back at Way of the Liar. He’s convinced several wrestlers to go after Jack over the past few months, but finally the Big Bad Ghoul will step into the ring for his rematch.

Thane: Halloween Knight must get really hot under that mask, huh Sparky?

Sparks: Um, yes Dustin. Yes, I’m sure he does.

[Grabbing a microphone from a terrified ZEN worker, Halloween Knight begins addressing the crowd in low and measured tones.]

Halloween Knight: Pumpkin Jack, you have survived every one of my trials, but now you must face the ultimate test, one there is no coming back from. You made a liar out of me when you become ZEN Master, but I will not be fooled again. Only I know the true power that being ZEN Master holds and you are unworthy to wield it. I command you to come down to this ring now, and accept your fate!

[On cue, Pumpkin Jack emerges to twisted carnival music, which earns a pop from the energized crowd.]

Segment Rating: D+

Main Event: Halloween Knight vs Pumpkin Jack (c) – For the ZEN Master Title

Save the best for last, that’s what I’ve always been taught in this business. Some people might be surprised I gave this match away on my first show, but I’ve got bigger plans for these two that don’t necessarily involve them trading wins and losses for the next year.

Not surprisingly, HK put in the performance of the night here. He really is a master storyteller in the ring, but Jack wasn’t no slouch either. If these two had some special chemistry, this might have even been the greatest match in ZEN history, but I’ll take what I can get.

The best part is that crowd really rallied behind Jack in a way they haven’t before, so that’s a good sign when it comes to him being put on par with Devilfish as our top babyface.

After these two went all out for the full twelve minutes, HK thought he had Jack cornered, but the champ surprised the Godfather of Ghouls with an Orange Bowl (Sling Blade) to retain the title.

Winner via Pinfall at 12:04 and still ZEN Master – Pumpkin Jack
Match Rating: C- (54)

[Pumpkin Jack soaks in the adulation of the crowd as he holds his ZEN Master title up high. Jack makes one too many celebratory trips to the top turnbuckle, however, as Halloween Knight recovers and quickly attacks his opponent from the main event.]

Sparks: This is just despicable!

Thane: You know what I think Sparky? Halloween Knight must be mad about losing the match. Yep, I’m sure of it. That’s what it is.

[Over the exasperated sighs of Sparky Sparks, the beat down of the champion continues unabated, drawing the ire of the audience. As Halloween Knight stands triumphant astride the knocked-out ZEN Master, a few fans throw garbage into the ring, while the rest stream out of the Reliquary of Scale with a bad taste in their mouths.]

Segment Rating: D-
Overall Show Rating: D+ (52)

Quote:
Quick Results

Damian Dastardly def. Ferdy Lloyd in a non-title match

The Sky Kings def. The Ghost Hunters

Shaolin def. Pink Spider thanks to a distraction from Kalliope Woodchuck

The Knights Temple def. Warp-Jump 2 Falls to 1 when Guru Vishini hit SubUrban Legend for the DQ; Warp-Jump remain ZEN Harmony Tag Team Champions

Devilfish def. Cyanide

Pumpkin Jack def. Halloween Knight to remain ZEN Master