Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-27-2018, 07:13 AM
All Star

Default TV Tapings & Post-Production

I don't know if any of these ideas have been pitched before, so if they have, I apologize in advance to whoever I may inadvertently be biting rhymes from.

IIRC, I do believe the idea of TV tapings have been brought up, but I have some ideas in my head of how they could potentially work if it's possible to code for a future game.

Let's say you're Company A. You're going to hold tapings for your two shows on back to back nights. Show A is held on night one, and Show B held on night two. You select how many episodes of each to tape, a number from 1 to 4 if the show is 1 hour, or 1 to 2 if more than 1 hour. What would factor into attendance? Well, whether or not the live crowd gets to see any of the top main eventers, be it in segments that are taped in front of the audience, or in matches, even if they're dark matches. The state of the economy and industry would also factor in to attendance. Company prestige and momentum would likely factor in as well.

Show grades:
I'm thinking there wouldn't be a final show grade until after the show is completely produced in post-production. By that, I mean any interview segments not done in front of the live crowd, such as the green screen promos WWF wrestlers would cut to hype upcoming house shows, feuds, themselves, etc. Once everything is in the can, you run the show as normal (more on this in a moment), and the grade could be calculated on the average of live crowd reaction and post-production (such as adding in those segments and crowd sweetening noise). Post-production could be dependent on your production levels, so if you have low production value levels (depending on company size), the show could come off as hokey and the final grade takes a hit. If it looks nice and slick, it could get a small bonus.

Now, as it pertains to post-production (such as the Event Center segments as an example)

I'm thinking that a worker's entertainment skills, along with an element of randomness, can determine the number of takes they have to do to get a segment just right. You could still script them, and there's the chance that it doesn't come off organic. Or you don't script them, and it could take quite a few re-dos to get it just right. The number of takes can also cause the cost of post-producing a show to go up since they have to be there longer, meaning the TV crew has to work longer. I imagine that you book your post-production segments and add in effects such as crowd sweetening and what have you as you're booking the live show. I know that the WWF taped their interviews in Stamford away from the arenas, but I'm thinking this way will probably be easier to code into the game. Anyway... Special effects would be sprinkled in throughout the show (maybe as a road agent note such as "Add crowd sweetening noise" or "Run inset promo from Wrestler X during match"). As for segments that are not recorded in front of the live crowd (we'll say they were recorded backstage before the show), you get to select where to put the post-produced segments. So it's basically like putting together shows as we do now. You're just selecting what the live crowd is seeing and not seeing. So when booking a segment, there could be a third option to go along with "Add Match" and "Add Angle," which would be "Add Post-Production Segment."

I hope that all made sense.
Unread 02-27-2018, 10:12 AM
Phenom

Thatís a lot to take in. But the idea is cool and could add to the game. I know people want the game to be streamlined but something like this could end the debate on if shows are being booked for tv or for live crowd. We currently have to use our imagination but this is way more immersive and hands on.
Unread 02-28-2018, 04:10 AM
Phenom

I can only say for certain for myself but if the active members on this board represent the vast majority of TEW gamers, then I would say that more detailed, intricate aspects such as this would be welcomed.
Unread 03-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Super Star

No, please, no. Booking a single show can already take a lot of time. I don't want to have to deal with post-production. That's what the production department is already there for.
Unread 03-01-2018, 05:04 PM
All Star

EDIT: Removed offending post as I came off rather rude. Apologies to all who had to read it.

Last edited by Matt Shannon : 03-02-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Felt my original post was rather rude.
Unread 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Shannon View Post
We're only talking a few extra clicks here, that are optional no less. Sheesh! >_<

Also, the production department in game doesn't help with pre-taped promos (they're always live in front of the crowd according to the game).
Relax!

A simulation game can only go so far in simulating stuff and what you're suggesting sounds more than just a few extra clicks and is too much micro-management for me. And I'm saying that as someone who loves micro-management (I could show you my Excel sheets for TEW and you'd think I'm crazy).

I couldn't care less if a promo is pre-taped or not or how many takes a worker needs to get the script right. Stuff like that just seems like too much work for too little gain.
Unread 03-02-2018, 09:05 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
Relax!

A simulation game can only go so far in simulating stuff and what you're suggesting sounds more than just a few extra clicks and is too much micro-management for me. And I'm saying that as someone who loves micro-management (I could show you my Excel sheets for TEW and you'd think I'm crazy).

I couldn't care less if a promo is pre-taped or not or how many takes a worker needs to get the script right. Stuff like that just seems like too much work for too little gain.
Me relax?! No, you relax! Hope you can see I'm just messing with you. I shouldn't have taken such offense & apologize on that front. Like I said in PM, maybe there could be a way for this added stuff to be optional, kinda like how right now we can turn off different penalties such as the Sausage Fest one.
Unread 03-03-2018, 04:29 AM
Phenom

I think that this could be implemented in a way that itís not micro managing.
Unread 03-04-2018, 07:58 PM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
No, please, no. Booking a single show can already take a lot of time. I don't want to have to deal with post-production. That's what the production department is already there for.
I have to agree here. One thing that a lot of people want in this game is a way to book it even faster so that we can see time go by FASTER in bigger companies, which is not easy to make right now, even with the auto-booker. Suggestions like these would increase the micro-management, but even if optional, and at the end of the day, they would be over thinking the game and most of them would probably not enhance the experience at all. But that's my 2 cents.
Unread 03-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Phenom

I think it can be as simple as toggling a segment on or off. No different from moving a segment up or down a slot or making something for the pre or post show. Having something like production quality effect something taped doesn’t sound like too much.

Things like multiple takes and all the other extra stuff could just be accounted for behind the scenes.
Unread 03-05-2018, 06:59 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I think it can be as simple as toggling a segment on or off. No different from moving a segment up or down a slot or making something for the pre or post show. Having something like production quality effect something taped doesnít sound like too much.

Things like multiple takes and all the other extra stuff could just be accounted for behind the scenes.
Exactly this, especially the last part. I should've clarified that extra things such as multiple takes would be taken care of behind the scenes, and it would be a note you would see in dirt sheet notes. Kinda like how you see "Wrestler A suffered a Broken Elbow," but in this case you would see "It took Wrestler A x amount of takes to get this segment right, driving the cost up to x amount."