Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Super Star

Default The NJPW Discussion Thread

Didn't see one, and a lot of talking was a brewing in the WWE thread, so I figured I'd start one! Anything New Japan related goes here please. I miss Kota :'(
Unread 03-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Living Legend

Okada will reveal who he wants to join CHAOS tomorrow at the first day of the New Japan Cup. He's explicitly said it's not Goto.

Which makes me laugh, the ever continuing put down of Goto by CHAOS members is fantastic.
Unread 03-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Star

Any predictions on who it'll be? My mind rolls to Kojima for some odd reason.
Unread 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Scott View Post
Any predictions on who it'll be? My mind rolls to Kojima for some odd reason.
Kojima is far too old and irrelevant in NJPW for it to be him. I'm not willing to predict myself because I don't have any solid guesses. I'm not too big of an NJPW watched nowadays so I'm not entirely invested in the whole product. Just stuff like Goto being dumped on by CHAOS which makes me laugh.
Unread 03-02-2016, 10:57 AM
Hall of Fame

I could see it being Kamaitachi, being a full return to Japan. Him and Dragon Lee have another title match in CMLL this friday (will be aired live on youtube) where I assume he will lose the title back and then come home from excursion.

But other than that, New Japan cup starts with these matches

Unread 03-02-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Star

Tana, Elgin, Makabe, Goto, Kojima, Yano, Ishii, Naito
Unread 03-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHero View Post
Okada will reveal who he wants to join CHAOS tomorrow at the first day of the New Japan Cup. He's explicitly said it's not Goto.

Which makes me laugh, the ever continuing put down of Goto by CHAOS members is fantastic.
Which also makes it perfect to reveal Goto...right? Probably not.

It'll most likely be an outsider. Maybe someone from NOAH? I'm not familiar enough with their roster though.

I'm just waiting for the new Bullet Club member.

Also locking in my New Japan Cup winner as Tama Tonga.
Unread 03-02-2016, 11:49 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Showtime View Post
I could see it being Kamaitachi, being a full return to Japan.
Yeah, that makes sense. They've always needed a junior for the singles ranks.
Unread 03-02-2016, 11:53 AM
All Star

I would love to see a dark horse win the New Japan Cup. Maybe someone like Elgin or Ishii. Naito is my favorite character in all of wrestling currently, but I'd like to see them hold off on doing Naito vs. Okada until Naito might actually have a chance at winning.
Unread 03-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Okada doesn't have many opponents left before the inevitable Naito match but I'd assume Naito would get some PPV wins and then win the title at Dominion in July, because he's by far the most over wrestler in Osaka (in a heel way)

Rolling with Nagata for the cup though.
Unread 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Super Star

Don't sleep on Fale. He's been pushed heavily in the last two NJC's, a semi-finalist and finalist respectively. They know that Okada can work a good match with Fale and with them having just renewed his and Tonga's contract, one has to assume they'll invest in him.
Unread 03-02-2016, 12:10 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootinie View Post
Don't sleep on Fale. He's been pushed heavily in the last two NJC's, a semi-finalist and finalist respectively. They know that Okada can work a good match with Fale and with them having just renewed his and Tonga's contract, one has to assume they'll invest in him.
This.

Plus it's maybe time for NJPW to start phasing out Tanahashi. They've ran through him & Okada's story for now, another Tanahashi/Okada bout so soon after Wrestle Kingdom doesn't have the same feel to it. Fale would be a good breather opponent for Okada.

Curiously, on the Okada note, Will Ospreay retweeted Enuhito's tweet concerning a new member of CHAOS. Ospreay's faced off against Okada before and is heading to New Japan soon. I'm all in favour of him bucking the NJPW gaijin worker trend of working in the Bullet Club for him to be a part of CHAOS.
Unread 03-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootinie View Post
Yeah, agreed. Fale is my number two to win it.

Quote:
Curiously, on the Okada note, Will Ospreay retweeted Enuhito's tweet concerning a new member of CHAOS. Ospreay's faced off against Okada before and is heading to New Japan soon. I'm all in favour of him bucking the NJPW gaijin worker trend of working in the Bullet Club for him to be a part of CHAOS.
This would be really, really hype. He's going to be a fantastic addition to New Japan and would be awesome in CHAOS over Bullet Club for sure.
Unread 03-02-2016, 01:52 PM
All Star

Quote:
This.

Plus it's maybe time for NJPW to start phasing out Tanahashi. They've ran through him & Okada's story for now, another Tanahashi/Okada bout so soon after Wrestle Kingdom doesn't have the same feel to it. Fale would be a good breather opponent for Okada.
I think the best use of Tanahashi right now would be to have him team with Elgin on a regular basis, maybe make a run at the tag titles. There's nothing fresh left for him to do as a singles wrestler, but a tag run would be a breath of fresh air for both his career and the tag team division. Plus it would be easier on his body, at least in theory.
Unread 03-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Final Countdown View Post
I think the best use of Tanahashi right now would be to have him team with Elgin on a regular basis, maybe make a run at the tag titles. There's nothing fresh left for him to do as a singles wrestler, but a tag run would be a breath of fresh air for both his career and the tag team division. Plus it would be easier on his body, at least in theory.
That's the route I'd go down with him. Freshens up the tag scene slightly, although that's not hard given that one half of their tag division left with Guns & Gallows. NJPW have gotten really sloppy with building divisions. The juniors is currently in the rebuilding phase after having Omega beat literally everyone and then be like "lol, heavyweight time". The tag division needs more teams than GBH and the occasional Meiyu Tag team up.