Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Grey Dog Software General Discussions
Register Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Living Legend

I would hope the game would have its own universe and custom boxers and an easy to use editor like TEW
Unread 09-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
No doubt, yes. I'm shocked a true career boxing sim hasn't been released already. That may be about to change.
Wow... it's been a long time since I've seen a developer have this kind of enthusiasm about a boxing sim. I wonder if you reached out to the Title Bout guys if you could partner on that project. It'd obviously be cool to see what you come up with on your own, but in my opinion that game already has the perfect foundation. Unfortunately, it's been stuck in limbo forever because it seems they don't have the manpower or time to develop the game any further. Maybe you can be the one to change that?

EDIT: I've been waiting literal years for Title Bout to release their new game... I honestly just thought a new boxing sim would never come at this point
Unread 09-05-2020, 03:06 PM
GDS Developer

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoku1819 View Post
Wow... it's been a long time since I've seen a developer have this kind of enthusiasm about a boxing sim. I wonder if you reached out to the Title Bout guys if you could partner on that project.
I used to watch boxing with my father, who adored it, very regularly. Guys like Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler and Ray Mancini were my era.

I did actually reach out to the Title Bout company a few weeks ago when I considered this project, because I actually did like the match engine on the game. Have not heard back, so I can assume they're done with it, or don't monitor their email much anymore.

I have the name and the first two screens setup and done already, so i'm definitely making decent progress. The game's basic design is mostly mocked up too (you'll be able to hire boxers, up to 3 initially, and a trainer and a corner man as well).
Unread 09-05-2020, 08:43 PM
Phenom

Probably the latter honestly. They usually only pop into the related forums once every 6 months to remind everyone that no progress has been made. Primarily, I think the game had an extremely detailed and accurate boxing engine, which would be the most valuable part of being able to use that data.

Regardless, it sounds like you've already gotten started on something and that's super exciting to here. Also glad to know you're coming from a background of watching boxing. The more knowledge of the sport, the better!
Unread 09-16-2020, 02:49 AM
Low Minors

I'd definitely be down for a day 1 purchase of a new boxing sim.
Unread 09-17-2020, 10:39 PM
Low Minors

Would this game be promotion based like WMMA/TEE or more character based like Wrestling Spirit
Unread 09-18-2020, 09:37 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabu View Post
Would this game be promotion based like WMMA/TEE or more character based like Wrestling Spirit
It'll be its own thing, but probably more character based if I had to choose one. I favor that style more in general.
Unread 09-21-2020, 12:16 PM

I don't write that much in forums usually. Been following greydogsoftware since the beginning, cause I really loved the text based sims they've done. I'am a big fan of fight sports ( MMA, Wrestling, Boxing) I've played all of the boxing sims or games that had come out and Leather or world boxing manager on steam are really the best 2 games right now. So if you make a game that is similar or better than those 2, I will be your first buyer for sure...
Unread 09-21-2020, 12:35 PM
GDS Developer

Leather will definitely be one of the inspirations for this game, no doubt.
Unread 09-21-2020, 03:40 PM

just love to see conversation about boxing text-based sim game
Unread 09-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Low Minors

If anyone wants to buy TBCB, make sure you buy version 2.5. The "latest" version, 2013, was made by the guy who now owns the TBCB franchise. Version 2013 is a disaster.

TBCB 2.5 is quite fun. I play it even now, and I recommend it highly. The game is "dead," but there is a nice group of guys on the forum who regularly rate fighters. They are serious boxing fans, and the game can be used to recreate historic bouts and even predict current bouts. You can also easily create fictional fighters and run your own universe, with your own rules, thereby bypassing all the silly alphabet organizations.

If you use your imagination a little, TBCB 2.5 is flexible enough to be really, really fun.
Unread 09-21-2020, 05:59 PM
GDS Developer

I have both versions. The 2013 one I think is nicer looking in terms of UI, but a bit more clunky to get into a match.

The match sim engine is very good. The 2.5 is more direct to get started and more compact. Both along with Leather should give me plenty of inspiration to get going.
Unread 09-21-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
If anyone wants to buy TBCB, make sure you buy version 2.5. The "latest" version, 2013, was made by the guy who now owns the TBCB franchise. Version 2013 is a disaster.

TBCB 2.5 is quite fun. I play it even now, and I recommend it highly. The game is "dead," but there is a nice group of guys on the forum who regularly rate fighters. They are serious boxing fans, and the game can be used to recreate historic bouts and even predict current bouts. You can also easily create fictional fighters and run your own universe, with your own rules, thereby bypassing all the silly alphabet organizations.

If you use your imagination a little, TBCB 2.5 is flexible enough to be really, really fun.
Yeah. The OOTP guys did 2.5. It really is fun as a pure simulation. If it had some semblance of a career/manager mode it'd be the perfect sim game.