Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2013 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2013 Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Phenom

Although you changed the popularity, the stats would need re doing as well when that's done the show would probably get around C+ which is what TNA should be getting in a balanced real world game
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsWWF View Post
Although you changed the popularity, the stats would need re doing as well when that's done the show would probably get around C+ which is what TNA should be getting in a balanced real world game
This is actually a mod I've been slowly building over from scratch again that I started a couple of years ago so I've been attempting to scale stats to a realistic sense. I am awaiting to see the general viewpoint and balance on stats though to truly even it out. The AI booked a good starting show too. In my opinion, Aries, Angle and Roode are three of TNA's best wrestlers and combine that with Sting's overness, it managed to put out a quality show on this particular week.

The one thing that strikes me a little high is the Knockouts rating but the T&A levels and Mickie's overness may have played a part in that since Tessmacher is a D- in microphone and E+ in acting.
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Low Minors

Thanks for this Derek, this isn't just useful for mod makers, but any player in general.

Major props.
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Low Minors

Excellent information. What confuses me when working on mods is how do I factor in international popularity? Take a guy like Dolph Ziggler. What would his popularity be in Japan (and WWE's popularity, for that matter?).

One thing I have done is say WWE is 80 in USA and 50 in Japan, then Dolph Ziggler's popularity in Japan would be 5/8 of his USA popularity. Obviously this would change for workers if they have previous experience in the area.

Is that a good method or does someone have a better solution?
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kje3334 View Post
Excellent information. What confuses me when working on mods is how do I factor in international popularity? Take a guy like Dolph Ziggler. What would his popularity be in Japan (and WWE's popularity, for that matter?).

One thing I have done is say WWE is 80 in USA and 50 in Japan, then Dolph Ziggler's popularity in Japan would be 5/8 of his USA popularity. Obviously this would change for workers if they have previous experience in the area.

I don't think international popularity is too big of a issue so it can be alright if your slightly off as not many will book shows out side their home country. It mainly depends on if the company has television there, for example both TNA and WWE are shown in Japan so the workers will still have fairly good popularity in there were as ROH and Chikara don't so unless the worker also works Japan than they will have pretty much no popularity in Japan.
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Star

Quote:

I usually use the default/cverse as a reference for workers.So if WWE are national based on how Derek rates them.and if you are using his ratings.Then I would look at a similar size company in the CV in the usa and a worker that is about the same pop in usa that hasn't worked for a Japanese fed, as im sure Dolph has never worked for any.
SWF are the same size as WWE and Steve Frehley is rated 80 pop in usa and his rating in Japan is 17 so id give dolph about the same.
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskln View Post
I usually use the default/cverse as a reference for workers.So if WWE are national based on how Derek rates them.and if you are using his ratings.Then I would look at a similar size company in the CV in the usa and a worker that is about the same pop in usa that hasn't worked for a Japanese fed, as im sure Dolph has never worked for any.
SWF are the same size as WWE and Steve Frehley is rated 80 pop in usa and his rating in Japan is 17 so id give dolph about the same.
The difference is WWE are televised in Japan and SWF are not, so I was unsure what effect that would have.
Unread 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Star

Quote:
The difference is WWE are televised in Japan and SWF are not, so I was unsure what effect that would have.
oh ok i never realised that WWE where on tv in Japan.Well frehley is rated the same in the USA as he is in Mexico 80 pop and he don't work in mexico but SWF broadcast on tv there.So i wonder if dolph should be set the same pop in Japan as in USA.it don't seem right but maybe for gameplay it is set like this.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Low Minors

This is fantastic reference material for not just mod makers but anybody who likes to tinker their own games for balancing purposes. Great work
Unread 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulskln View Post
oh ok i never realised that WWE where on tv in Japan.Well frehley is rated the same in the USA as he is in Mexico 80 pop and he don't work in mexico but SWF broadcast on tv there.So i wonder if dolph should be set the same pop in Japan as in USA.it don't seem right but maybe for gameplay it is set like this.
I wouldn't think so. The channel that shows the SWF in Mexico is the same as their US provider so that's why those countries are even. I'd say it would depend on how big the station is compared to USA network
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Locker Room Leader :)

International popularity would depend very much on how much exposure a worker has in other areas. The WWE is probably as popular in Canada as they are in the USA. They are aired on a smaller network in the UK (premium sports channel) and don't reach as many viewers as TNA does (free channel), but that just means that they are going to be getting a smaller amount of money from the UK for PPVs than they would in the USA. I genuinely don't know how long the WWE has been airing in Japan, but I'm going to guess that it's been a long while... there are a few reasons they might have a different level of popularity in another region from in the USA/Canada/UK with Japan being about the only region they may apply to...

1. They might've lost National battles to AJPW and NJPW. I don't know how big these companies are these days, but if they are National or have been in recent times then the WWE could be smaller in Japan than elsewhere in the world.
2. Trending Products. You gain more and lose less popularity when you are on trend. Ive covered trends in my post about products and I don't think the WWE would have a trending product in Japan, leading to slower growth. This would be particulary strong if against other companies like AJPW and NJPW too.
3. Damn... I had another one and I've forgotten it.

Generally speaking, if a company has been on the air in a country for a long time then they're going to be equally popular there. As such, their workers that have been with the company for that long should have popularity in other regions too. For example, if the WWE had only been broadcast in Japan for 3 months, they would barely have more than their overspill popularity and their workers wouldn't have gained much popularity there either except their overspill.

One thing that can arise as something of a problem with this is that the WWE will likely take their shows on tour to other areas quite often. This might not be ideal if they shouldn't be running too many shows outside the US and Canada, so you might want to lower their popularity elsewhere in order to keep them focused on their home areas. But that's a judgement call. There's a chance of a National War in Japan if the WWE, AJPW and NJPW are all National and that could be fun to see play out.

Another thing I'll get round to one day is TV deals... if I were making a mod I'd ditch most of the WWE's TV shows and deals as they take up a lot of time and space, and can be covered quite happily with pre-show time. Everything beyond Raw and Smackdown is more or less a tertiary show for the WWE, and dropping these would make them far more slimlined and make for a better play experience for most players, at least in my opinion.

I'm going to get back to writing about stats... this is going to be the longest of all my entries and I'm hoping to finish it today so that I can maybe get gimmicks and contracts done tomorrow.
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Derek B, you are a saint among men. The patron saint of Walls of Text, but highly useful walls of text nonetheless!

This needs to be stickied, stat
Unread 06-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Locker Room Leader :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon View Post
Derek B, you are a saint among men. The patron saint of Walls of Text, but highly useful walls of text nonetheless!

This needs to be stickied, stat
Soon there will be bigger walls, and smaller text sizes so fit everything I say on them. I'll sticky this at some point in future, figure I should keep writing so that I've covered everything I want to cover... I have a feeling that someone is going to ask me for something else in future, my future self is already kicking me for thinking about it.
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:00 PM

Thank you! This is a big help. I don't want to interrupt your flow, but, if you wanted to share any insight on how to scale ratings for Yet-to-Debut Workers, that would be awesome!
Unread 06-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek B View Post
International popularity would depend very much on how much exposure a worker has in other areas. The WWE is probably as popular in Canada as they are in the USA. They are aired on a smaller network in the UK (premium sports channel) and don't reach as many viewers as TNA does (free channel), but that just means that they are going to be getting a smaller amount of money from the UK for PPVs than they would in the USA. I genuinely don't know how long the WWE has been airing in because theyI'm going to guess that it's been a long while... there are a few reasons they might have a different level of popularity in another region from in the USA/Canada/UK with Japan being about the only region they may apply to...

1. They might've lost National battles to AJPW and NJPW. I don't know how big these companies are these days, but if they are National or have been in recent times then the WWE could be smaller in Japan than elsewhere in the world.
2. Trending Products. You gain more and lose less popularity when you are on trend. Ive covered trends in my post about products and I don't think the WWE would have a trending product in Japan, leading to slower growth. This would be particulary strong if against other companies like AJPW and NJPW too.
3. Damn... I had another one and I've forgotten it.

Generally speaking, if a company has been on the air in a country for a long time then they're going to be equally popular there. As such, their workers that have been with the company for that long should have popularity in other regions too. For example, if the WWE had only been broadcast in Japan for 3 months, they would barely have more than their overspill popularity and their workers wouldn't have gained much popularity there either except their overspill.

One thing that can arise as something of a problem with this is that the WWE will likely take their shows on tour to other areas quite often. This might not be ideal if they shouldn't be running too many shows outside the US and Canada, so you might want to lower their popularity elsewhere in order to keep them focused on their home areas. But that's a judgement call. There's a chance of a National War in Japan if the WWE, AJPW and NJPW are all National and that could be fun to see play out.

Another thing I'll get round to one day is TV deals... if I were making a mod I'd ditch most of the WWE's TV shows and deals as they take up a lot of time and space, and can be covered quite happily with pre-show time. Everything beyond Raw and Smackdown is more or less a tertiary show for the WWE, and dropping these would make them far more slimlined and make for a better play experience for most players, at least in my opinion.

I'm going to get back to writing about stats... this is going to be the longest of all my entries and I'm hoping to finish it today so that I can maybe get gimmicks and contracts done tomorrow.
Re: WWE worker overness in Japan. The WWE hardly ever tour (apparently raw first aired there in 2005) and don't have a product that really gels with Japan; regardless of their tv exposure. Whilst it would easy to simply duplicate popularity for the company and workers internationally I dont think this is realistic. In Japan I would suggest the wwe have significantly lower popularity than the USA say 55 (this what I have in my game currently) or 60 compared to 75 in the USA. Many of their workers would also take big popularity drops on japan even of say 20 points compared to the USA because they just wouldn't draw immediately, and their WWE exposure isn't necessarily significant enough to buff this. The more established stars of your Jericho mold with Japanese experience would do better than people otherwise now on their level. Big guys who are also former world champions would do better like Kane or Big Show for example. Also I would consider a cap on their popularity. Outside of guys like the Rock, I would say around 70 popularity would be the peak for most guys (such that the top Japanese guys are actually bigger draws than most of the WWE guys in Japan rather than the other way around, which just doesn't have a precedent).

The WWE as a brand should be drawing more in Japan than most of their roster with guys better known to the Japanese audience through tours or excellent pedigree being the exception. So basically I would nerf most of the WWE workers overness in Japan. Mexico is tricky as the WWE outperforms the lucha promotions in mexico in terms of TV ratings, but I would suggest the lower range WWE talent would take popularity hits in Mexico too, with upper and top level guys being more consistent.

Some examples for Japan, I have Undertaker at 90 throughout the USA and 75 throughout Japan; Randy Orton at 78 throughout the USA and 65 throughout Japan; Jericho I have at 80 across the US and a much closer 75 in Japan. For Giant Bernard/Tensai for example he is actually more over in Japan than the US, I have him at 60 across Japan (though even 65 could be justified) and only 48 in the US.

I think this highlights some of the tension in the game mechanics as in TEW TV exposure will de facto increase a workers popularity in a region even where they have never wrestled. In real-life however I don't think popularity - which to an extent is really their drawing power - is so neatly built across cultures simply through television time. Whilst popularity may be justifiably similar between WWE workers in the US and say Canada, Europe or the UK - I don't think across wrestling cultures such as Japan and Mexico with profoundly different cultures and product styles/traditions, the numbers are so evenly matched. Also, as a player of real world mods it sort of bothers me to look at the list of 'most over guys in Japan' and it's just a list of WWE guys.

That said I do think a NJPW vs WWE show could draw huge, much more than a Raw or Smackdown house-show.

Last edited by snakesonaplane : 06-03-2013 at 05:22 AM.