Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Imperium: Arena of Death General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Low Minors

I also like the look of the screens. Will you be able to name your own gladiators? What I mean is, can you give them historical names? I'm a Roman Empire geek.

How will you replace dead gladiators?
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
GDS Developer

You can use the Admin screen to name the gladiators whatever you wish, of course.

Dead gladiators (a rarity but a possibility in this version) can be replaced by a warrior from the Free Warrior Pool at your discretion, or you can "draft" a fresh new "prospect" at the end of the season.
Unread 01-16-2014, 06:24 PM
GDS Developer

I'll be posting an update in the next day or so, with details about the "Favor" system.
Unread 01-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Low Minors

Hi,

I saw the two screens from the game and I got same questions:

Is your intention to make a game based on Latin Roman Gladiator? If yes, it would be nice to have all the different kind of glatiators there was in Rome. If I remember well the gladiators "classes" was 10 or 12. Every "classes" (es. hoplomachus) got his own armor and weapons and it was considered perfect to fight Vs one other kind of gladiator but unskilled vs other ones.
It would be different kind of "matches", as in Rome? 1 Vs 1, 1 Vs 2 with a platform to "defend" (the gladiator specialized in this was the "pontiarius"), 1 Vs animal (as lion, tiger etc.)
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:20 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammartino View Post
Hi,

I saw the two screens from the game and I got same questions:

Is your intention to make a game based on Latin Roman Gladiator? If yes, it would be nice to have all the different kind of glatiators there was in Rome. If I remember well the gladiators "classes" was 10 or 12. Every "classes" (es. hoplomachus) got his own armor and weapons and it was considered perfect to fight Vs one other kind of gladiator but unskilled vs other ones.
It would be different kind of "matches", as in Rome? 1 Vs 1, 1 Vs 2 with a platform to "defend" (the gladiator specialized in this was the "pontiarius"), 1 Vs animal (as lion, tiger etc.)
Having specific classes of gladiator really doesn't fit this design all that well, since its intended to be more of a management sim than a historical sim. But different types of matches are in the plans either for the main game or in a free patch soon after release, such as poison-sword matches, matches with a Lion or Tiger, etc.
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM
GDS Developer

Tuesday, Jan. 18th, 2014 - 73% completed:

Favors are yet another unique component of Imperium where you can buy game "advantages" or bonuses using the Influence you've built up with victories or other accomplishments during the game.

One main design change I made was that they've been re-tuned from the original to be more special (due to the use of the more finite Influence points to buy them) and of shorter duration, which will balance the game itself out more.

A sample screen is here: Favor Screen

In keeping with the more graphical nature of the design, the icons used should be fairly easy to understand at a glance. In the above screen, the little black calendar/clock indicates the amount of days they last, and the Influence cost icon is the same as the one used on the top of all the screens, so that should be easy to grasp right away.

New Favors are generated every time a purchased one expires, or at the start of a new season. There are 50 different Favors included with game of varying power, but a few have been rebalanced a bit to prevent them from being TOO powerful. It's part of the strategy of the game to decide when to use these for maximum benefit.

Let me know what you guys think.
Unread 01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
GDS Developer

Tuesday, Jan. 27th, 2014 - 77% completed:

I'm rapidly approaching Alpha status now as I have completed the "playoff" seeding engine (newly redone from the original to include winning percentage over Kills, as Kills are far less frequent in this version). Kills will now be used as a third tiebreaker, if needed.

Each victory earns 1 League Point, Kills earn 2 points, and various special matches during the season are worth extra points. Top 4 Gladiators in terms of League Points out of 10 will proceed to the championship every season.

Also redone was the Options screen, which will include various stats: Game Options screen

Here are listed your win/loss/kill stats under your Management for your career, your Manager stats which can influence various parts of the game, and game settings. These include the seconds delay for each text in combats, exiting and saving the game, and viewing various retired or killed warriors on the other screens. Full historical listings are a big part of the game.

Comments welcomed!
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Star

Liking the features!!
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I'm a Roman Empire geek.
Oh yeah? Then why is your name not Antonius, huh? Think about that.

The screens look good. Looking forward to seeing the actual match engine.
Unread 01-31-2014, 05:04 PM
GDS Developer

Tuesday, Jan. 31st, 2014 - 81% completed:

Much of the main game interfaces have now been completed, and look pretty good and are pretty much bug free. Now the actual match sim is next, tuning it up and fitting it with the new changes.

Here's the League Standings screen, with lots of info at your fingertips: other warrior's records, health status, and league standings (listed in order of points once the league starts), and a news byte about a highlight match from the previous day at the top, click the link to see a sample: League Standings

Your Gladiator with the highest Point total is listed at the top as well, so you can see where you stack up. My goal was to make data easily available without a lot of clicking around.
Unread 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Major League

This is shaping up nicely Derek.
Unread 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
GDS Developer

Saturday, Feb. 1st, 2014 - 83% completed:

These updates will be coming more often now that the game is close to Alpha/Beta stage. I'm excited about where its headed, hope you guys are too!

This screen is now finished, and its a key one: The Match-Up screen. This is where you can see the next Gladiator you'll be fighting (under Opponent Match-Up), his stats and further down your own warriors listed, including each of their head-to-head records against him. Screen sample is here at this link: Match-Up Screen

The three buttons underneath the opponent are also important: The first one starts the day and your match planning screen, the middle button allows you to view the entire league matchup schedule and (possibly) place bets on other matches, and the last button allows you to Bribe the opponent.

A Bribe in the world of Imperium is not a guarantee, it allows you to "pay off" a warrior to go easy on you in the next match. It doesn't mean they won't fight, it just means they won't fight quite as hard. Obviously there's varying strategies about when and how to use this sort of thing, but it gives you the option to change up your strategy if you get hit with injuries or your guys are not developing the way you'd like them to.
Unread 02-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Star

Really like this more and more with every update!

I know you will have 3 Gladiators in your stable, but how many will be active in the league at one time?

Also, will there be 'free agents' that can be picked up in case of severe injury/death (guessing yes on this)
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Really like this more and more with every update!

I know you will have 3 Gladiators in your stable, but how many will be active in the league at one time?

Also, will there be 'free agents' that can be picked up in case of severe injury/death (guessing yes on this)
Indicated on the previous update to this one, there will be 9 other Gladiators active (shown on the League Standing screen) that you will compete against.

Yes, there will be Free Warriors you can grab up in case someone gets killed or you just decide to go another direction. Their ages and experience can vary (they'll have established records from previous leagues).
Unread 02-04-2014, 10:03 PM
GDS Developer

Lightbulb

Tuesday, Feb. 4th, 2014 - 84% completed:

Today I finished up this screen, which is at the very start of a New Game and your managerial career. You can set the Season Length, and enter your name.

In a big departure from the original game, where your attributes were just randomly rolled, now you have 25 points to start with and distribute however you like among the 4 manager skills, which can help determine how "good" you are at various aspects of managing your crew.

Bear in mind these can just influence the results, not totally dictate them. Your decisions are still key to your success.

Here's a screen sample: Game Setup Screen

You can see the nice overall game feel i've tried to put into the game, attractive yet simple and easy to use right away. Just use the + and - buttons to add and subtract points to the attributes.

Each stat should be self-explanatory and is described in the help, and here's a quick guide to the skills ->

Loyalty: This can influence warriors willingness to resign with you on favorable gold terms at the end of their contract, stick with you during hard times, and can keep warriors with attitude problems more in check than with a manager with a lower loyalty rating (they respect you more and don't want to disappoint you by doing dumb things to hurt the team's honor. And yes, Gladiators can rarely get suspended for 1 day or more by doing stupid things outside the arena).

Performance: Can inspire your warriors on occasion to give more "heart" and grit to their fighting, even sometimes giving minor bonuses to their stats during combat. Can improve your fighters' overall consistency from fight to fight, and make mediocre fighters perform a little better overall.

Development: Can effect how quickly and how well your young warriors develop their skills under your system. Lower Dev. scores can sometimes prevent some warriors from reaching their full potential. Basically measures how well you're able to squeeze all the skill possible out of your fighters.

Healing: Measures your skill mending your warriors wounds yourself. This can occasionally reduce the severity of a sustained injury, or sometimes reduce the amount of time a warrior stays hurt after a moderate or minor injury.

What do you guys think?