Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Imperium: Arena of Death General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Super Star

Like the look and in regards to the stats, can a manager 'level up' over time and get additional points to throw into attributes?
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM
GDS Developer

Yes, at the end of every season (depending oin how you do) you'll get a point or more to add to your stats. They range from 1-20.
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Rookie

Looking forward to this one!
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:41 PM
GDS Developer

Friday, Feb. 7th, 2014 - 86% completed:

I got this screen finished today: Promo Screen

This screen allows you to promote your warrior's next match in the city for increased attendance (and thus, more money collected for the match). You spend your Influence points to buy the ads, therefore you must be very careful in your purchases, since these points are finite and precious. These choices only apply for the next match, and clear after every season day.

Using the icons, they indicate the range of possible gold increase, next is the possible range of attendance increase and the Influence cost is at the end. Hopefully this is clear from the icons used..let me know what you guys think!

Also these can increase the chance of the King himself attending a match, thus applying a multiplier of 2-5X to your earnings and doubing the League Points and Influence earned from a win. These do "stack" if you buy more than 1. The earnings from each promotion will be broken down on the Pre-Match screen.
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:04 AM
Hall of Fame

Looks good, and icons are clear and obvious enough. And I assume we can mod them and the background at will?

Looking forward to the demo. If the match engine is decent I'll probably buy this. Kinda unclear yet given the fact that there's only a couple of stats.

As for the 'death' in the title: can we put in an option to lower the frequency of arena deaths. I presume that can be very frustrating, and it's dubious whether that many gladiators actually died during those games. You'd think that's reserved for the 'big' events.
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:57 AM
GDS Developer

One major change that was done from the old game was to greatly lower the amount of arena deaths, as that was a main complaint from the original game. Now deaths are a very rare thing in the fights themselves, making investments in training, etc. more worthwhile.

The match display/engine itself is pretty good, if I do say so myself. Very detailed descriptions and fight "flow", complete with sound effects and between attack text that put you right there in the middle of the action. Also, you can change your warrior's aggressiveness level both at the beginning of the match and midway through as well.
Unread 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Star

Would be great if the was editable so that we could edit text and screens etc so adapt it into a wrestling manager sim. Playing the role of a manager and your 3 clients.
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:01 PM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazwefc83 View Post
Would be great if the was editable so that we could edit text and screens etc so adapt it into a wrestling manager sim. Playing the role of a manager and your 3 clients.
Well, it will be somewhat editable, but Adam already makes several good wrestling sims, so it would be sorta redundant to make that, IMHO, even if you could.
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Hall of Fame

There is still no game that puts the player in the role of managing a fighter/wrestler/player instead of a company. You either play one, or 'host' one as a company. That's a different ballgame. One of the reasons why I'm looking forward to this title. I hope there's several options, especially in terms of development. I'd love a game where you are the owner of an MMA training camp, but I'd settle for gladiators. It's basically the same, only different weapons .

Last edited by Blackman : 02-11-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:30 PM
GDS Developer

Thursday, Feb. 13th, 2014 - 91% completed:

I'm hitting the Home stretch towards Alpha now, and its shaping up nicely. The actual Fight screen is nearly completed and the internal stuff modified to fit with the new features.

Here is a screen sample: Battle Arena Screen

This screen has been redesigned from the original to give a nice feeling of dread and menace from the original, and give it more clarity and visual appeal. I've added more descriptive texts (there are now thousands of descriptions!) to really put you there.

Prior to the match, there will be a pre-match screen where you set the warrior's "attitude": Defensive, Normal or Aggressive, and halfway through the match, you'll be given the chance to change that attitude to something different based on how things are going.

The battle "flow" i've tweaked a bit more for better placed sound effects and realism of follow-ups to hits, and an occasional roar of the crowd for a really good move or hit. Nothing has been "rigged" or predetermined: there's usage of the warrior stats, and a little luck factor as well.

What do you guys think?
Unread 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM
GDS Developer

Monday, Feb. 17th - 92% completed:

Heading further down the Home stretch as the fight segment is nearing completion, along with redoing the after combat screens to make them nicer and more organized. After each combat you're in, you'll be given full match stats, including swings/hits, hit percentage, average damage per hit, most damaging hit, etc.

Comments welcomed.
Unread 02-18-2014, 02:35 PM
Super Star

Keep it coming, I assume these carry over to full career stats as well then?
Unread 02-19-2014, 10:51 PM
GDS Developer

I'm still debating how many of these stats will be tracked permanently, but wins/losses for career will be tracked for sure.
Unread 02-24-2014, 04:35 PM
GDS Developer

Monday, Feb. 24th - 96% completed:

I'm streaking towards Alpha/early Beta status, and later this week i'll be setting up a thread for those that wish to participate. In the meantime, those who wish to participate in the testing can email me at: indiegameguy@live.com if they wish to be considered.

Thanks!
Unread 03-08-2014, 06:27 PM
GDS Developer

Saturday, Mar. 8th - 98% completed:

The game itself is full speed ahead and the Alpha has been going very well with minimal issues so far. I'm happy to say that's the norm for my testing.

Finally, i'm hitting the "post-season" part of the game where you resign your guys to contracts, draft fresh blood for outgoing warriors, and add 1-2 point(s) to your Manager's scores (you select what stat to place the 1-2 points into) as well. Then the next season starts, ages advance by 1 year, warriors have an off-season to grow in ability (or not), and you're on your way.

This part of the game will be tricky in that various factors have to balance out for it to work long-term and be fair, yet slightly unpredictable. Once I have that worked out, the game will move to Beta and be ready for release soon after, assuming things go well.

Thanks to all who are Alpha testing so far! Their feedback has already added new stuff to the game that wasn't there before, and i'm looking forward to seeing where the journey takes us!