Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-09-2018, 12:06 AM
Major League

Default Board/card/tabletop games

So we have a video game thread, but Iím interested to know what types of games you guys play.
I personally collect and play a lot of games. My current rotation is Munchkin, Gloomhaven, Ninja burger, and flux.

I play a bit of magic, and Star Wars Destiny.

Anything interesting you guys are playing?
Unread 08-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Hall of Fame

I have several board games, but I prefer the ones with exclusively card components (I guess they are rather "card games" then).

I have Epic, Star Realms, DC deck building, LCG's (LotR, StarWars, AGOT, Netrunner), old CCG's (Warlord, Buffy, WoW),...

I used to play Magic but I don't anymore. The vocal community has seemingly become toxic as well as it's full of SJW's and - apparently - pedo's.

I also picked up Sentinels of the Multiverse on a recommendation from Adam and it's a blast to play on a tabletop. I have the digital version as well which is cheaper to get if you want all the expansions, but it's just not the same.

That being said, I generally play digital versions as it's just more manageable than kilos of cardboard.
Unread 08-09-2018, 06:23 AM
GDS Developer

I can definitely recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse. The final expansion came out two weeks ago, so if you're a collector you have the advantage of knowing that there is an end point, unlike some games where they just keep pumping out content. The video game version is also extremely good, it's probably the most faithful representation of a board game I've ever seen and has the advantage that you don't have to store thousands of cards!

If you like Munchkin and Flux, Norsaga is one you might want to check out. It's a quick, fun game for 3-4 players and is really nicely designed and presented. Plus the creators seem to be really good people.

I haven't played it as I'm waiting for the video game version, but Spirit Island has been getting a lot of great reviews and may be worth checking out, although it's a bit on the expensive side if you're outside of North America.

I also really like the Catan games, especially Rivals of Catan which is their really cool two player version. With the expansions, it can get very strategic and in-depth.
Unread 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM
All Star

I used to play Magic the Gathering, but now I only play MTG Arena, for time purposes. Ditto on the used to play for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder 1st edition.

I don't get a chance to play a lot of games, but I help design them with Triptic Gaming. We're hoping to launch something by the end of the year through Kickstarter.
Unread 08-10-2018, 01:43 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ryland View Post
I can definitely recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse. The final expansion came out two weeks ago, so if you're a collector you have the advantage of knowing that there is an end point, unlike some games where they just keep pumping out content. The video game version is also extremely good, it's probably the most faithful representation of a board game I've ever seen and has the advantage that you don't have to store thousands of cards!
. Iíve tried the steam version and Iíve enjoyed it a great deal.

Quote:
If you like Munchkin and Flux, Norsaga is one you might want to check out. It's a quick, fun game for 3-4 players and is really nicely designed and presented. Plus the creators seem to be really good people.
I looked at this on YouTube after seeing this post, and sadly itís color based. Being colorblind I have trouble with that, which stinks because Iíd love to get into this game.

Quote:
I haven't played it as I'm waiting for the video game version, but Spirit Island has been getting a lot of great reviews and may be worth checking out, although it's a bit on the expensive side if you're outside of North America
. Iíll look it up, not sure how expensive is a bit, but Iíve gotten Gloomhaven which was $140. The Pathfinser game which base is $60 and the six expansions at $20 each. I guess I could have worse addictions than games and dice.
Unread 08-10-2018, 03:36 AM
GDS Developer

Oh, it's nowhere near Gloomhaven levels of expense - it's more like $80 if I remember correctly, plus $30ish for the expansion pack. That's a little too expensive for me, particularly after the last Sentinels kickstarter was so expensive, so I'm waiting for the video game that's coming out in a year or two - it's by the same people who did the Sentinels game, so I have high hopes for its quality.
Unread 08-10-2018, 05:45 AM
All Star

Waiting for my daughters to get a bit older so they can play Lords of Waterdeep, Spendor, Betrayal at House on the Hill and Dominion. Might try King of Tokyo with the older one sometime.

I did Kickstart the Plague Inc board game, but it's still in its wrapper...

Last edited by eayragt : 08-10-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Living Legend

My brother was one of backers for Far Away Land and weíve been having a blast.
Unread 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM
Minor League

Let's see....

Yomi - imagine Street Fighter using playing cards...each card has an option on both ends...choices are attack, block, dodge, or throw...paper/rock/scissors mechanics and varied characters/play styles...digital version is cheaper and provides a good sampling before diving into the physical version

Thanos Rising - #stopthesnap. Fun cooperative game where each player has a role to play in helping stop the Mad Titan from getting all of the stones

Was in to Dice Masters a few years ago but got burned out on the amount of content coming out

Picked up Dice Throne recently. Looks good. 6 characters that play differently. Has cards, dice, upgrades, etc

One Deck Dungeon - fun solo or group game.

Star Realms - keep coming back to the digital version...fun and free
Unread 08-11-2018, 12:55 AM
Major League

Quote:
Oh, it's nowhere near Gloomhaven levels of expense - it's more like $80 if I remember correctly, plus $30ish for the expansion pack. That's a little too expensive for me, particularly after the last Sentinels kickstarter was so expensive, so I'm waiting for the video game that's coming out in a year or two - it's by the same people who did the Sentinels game, so I have high hopes for its quality.
I have Sentinals on steam and itís pretty great. Does the physical game play pretty much the same?

As fir Gloomhaven, itís pretty expensive, but itís well worth it if you like living games.
Unread 08-11-2018, 02:54 AM
Hall of Fame

Board games have become my main hobby in the last couple of years. Spirit island is amazing, probably my favourite. I can see how it looks a little expensive but there's so much game in the box. A wonderful brain burn.

I'm also a fan of Zombicide (the streamlined minis game I always wanted as a kid) Pandemic (the wife loves the Legacy versions where you open mystery boxes between games) and Street Masters, which is heavily inspired by Sentinels of the Multiverse, only with miniatures and a knock off Street Fighter theme. Hasn't hit retail yet but I'm digging it.

I definitely fell deep down this rabbit hole.
Unread 08-11-2018, 03:32 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_lit_tears View Post
I have Sentinals on steam and itís pretty great. Does the physical game play pretty much the same?
It's identical - they did an amazing job of keeping things the same. Of course, the video game has the addition of music and the major advantage that it does all the book-keeping and shuffling for you, but the physical game has the advantage of being better for group play and it always being nice to have the cards in your hand.
Unread 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM
GDS Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self View Post
Spirit island is amazing, probably my favourite. I can see how it looks a little expensive but there's so much game in the box. A wonderful brain burn.
Have you done solo play with it? If so, is it an enjoyable experience or does it pale in comparison to group play?
Unread 08-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Have you done solo play with it? If so, is it an enjoyable experience or does it pale in comparison to group play?
I'm nearing 100 plays of it, and most of those have been solo. I have a lot of fun both ways.

The real choice is whether you want to solo as one spirit or two. Playing as a single spirit is definitely a smaller experience. Quicker. Smaller island. I played it that way for the first 40 games, getting to grips with different styles etc. Nowadays I'll always play with 2+ at once. Takes ages and I needed to learn the game properly before it was feasible, but now it's a great puzzle.

I can take or leave the expansion.
Unread 08-11-2018, 11:08 AM
All Star

Quote:
I know you were asking about a particular game. But in my experience, the answer to this on a general level is typically how well it plays with two. I'm the youngest in the family and grew up with a wide age gap between my siblings and me. So I often ended up having to play games right hand vs left or person vs stuffed animal. Many times that was the only way I could play board games because my parents weren't really gamers and I couldn't count on the sibs not to be busy with older kid stuff. So unless a game calls on certain players to know stuff and others not like a Clue or a Codenames, I can pretty comfortably play any two person game solo. Of course, I can see mileage varying based on family positioning.