Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Super Star

Default Guest Booker: Pro Wrestling Takeover

Hey.

It's me. NoNeck.

Anyone remember me? Longtime player going back to the EWR days and frequent poster/diary writer for too long to accurately recall.

I've been running a wrestling promotion now for a little over a year, like in real life, up here in New England. I find it funny that, no matter how far into the business I get, I still look at everything like it's a TEW game, or at least use it as a reference point. It reminds me of a story I read about some random dude that just went out and took a plane from a runway and flew it away. When the authorities asked him how he had learned to fly it (and land it) so smoothly, he told them he hadn't ever flown an actual plane before but he had practiced on a really good flight simulator and had a pretty good idea of what he was doing.

Pro Wrestling Takeover is that plane for me, true believers. And while there has been some turbulence in our first year, we're still in the air and gaining altitude.

In this, what has to be the final, ultimate, can't possibly go any further or get any more meta version of the Guest Booker series, I'm going to go backwards and put real shows, as they happened, through the TEW game engine and see not only how things grade out match to match, but how closely (or differently) the company's growth is mirrored by the game. I'm also going to work through the backstage stuff and, as I've been removed from it for a year, see how the current version of me would have reacted to the issues that popped up for the older model of me that dealt with it all in real time.

And although the truth is that the planning for PWT began some months before our first event, I want to get right to the good stuff. So let's have some fun, shall we, and go back a little over a year to last August when the home office announced our first event.....

Unread 10-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Minor League

That's an awesome idea. Best of luck with it and the real life promotion.
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:06 PM
All Star

You had me at Guest Booker.
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Living Legend

I was in for another NoNeck project alone. But something meta is.... quite intriguing. Looking forward to it!
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Living Legend

Yes! I'm absolutely in for this!
Unread 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Hall of Fame

Great to see you back!
Unread 10-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Super Star

Cool looking forward to this
Unread 10-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Star

Before we get into the first show, I think one of the more important things to discuss is the PWT Championship. Right from the start, I became hellbent on getting one in order to differentiate us from the other local companies. Either they chose to not have one at all or they have one that looks like a cheap toy. In either case I wanted ours to stand out and look like an actual championship. I also consciously made the decision to have a PWT Championship. Not a PWT World Championship or a PWT Heavyweight Championship; it's not weight restrictive and I've long laughed at the tiny companies that boast a World Title. Our belt has, as of this writing, been defended in four states and one Canadian province. That's not too shabby for a year old company that's just learning how to make nice with some other promotions, but I'd never say it's a World championship.

The thing I like about the belt itself is the plate layering. It gives the belt a lot more heft (weighs about eleven and a half pounds), depth, and really makes the Pro Wrestling Takeover logo pop. I worked hand in hand with the designer to get exactly what I wanted. I must say that it came out perfectly. The boys are constantly telling me that it's the nicest belt on the indies. I know they like to brother-brother me because my envelopes are never short, but it's still nice to hear.

Before I say it, can anyone guess what three existing belts I used to describe to the designer what I wanted ours to look like?

I started off talking about the title belt not only because it would be a huge deal for us on number of levels going forward, but it would prove to be our first real head scratching situation. Who do we put it on? When do we do it? How do we go about doing it? I figured that would be both an easy and fun decision to make as I set off on playing real-life wrestling booker.

File it instead under be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by NoNeck : 10-14-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Unread 10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
All Star

NoNeck! I missed your Guest Booker dynasties, man. PWC / USPW was an excercise in blowing a reader's mind, I have to say. This is more than a little meta to say the least. You sure there's nothing too contentious to put online, in terms of backstage stuff?

Edit: Ah, I've just found out about TJ Marconi.

Last edited by Hashasheen : 10-15-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Unread 10-15-2018, 10:15 AM
All Star

That title looks really nice. I'm glad you took the time to get something worth while. I've always thought that the title belt was something that more more important than you'd think. A good one might cost a bit of money, but it makes up for it when your wrestlers aren't embarrassed to be seen with it.

Last edited by foolinc : 10-15-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Unread 10-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Living Legend

The belt does look good, NN. The shape/colour of the base plate reminds me of the Mark Henry ECW belt, but I'm not sure if that's just the way it looks in that photo.
Unread 10-16-2018, 01:12 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashasheen View Post
NoNeck! I missed your Guest Booker dynasties, man. PWC / USPW was an excercise in blowing a reader's mind, I have to say. This is more than a little meta to say the least. You sure there's nothing too contentious to put online, in terms of backstage stuff?

Edit: Ah, I've just found out about TJ Marconi.

Thanks Hash (and everyone else for that matter) for the nice welcome back. Glad to hear the Guest Booker series is remembered and that some folks really dug that PWC/USPW project, which I remember writing very fondly.

I've considered the possibility that some of the backstage stuff that I'm going to share could make a couple of people upset. However, the fact that it's my story, is all coming from my perspective, and will be presented in a fair manner, gives me comfort, as does the fact that I won't be presenting myself as the white knight of the whole thing either. In a lot of ways, this project gives me a chance to go back a year and judge myself.

The TJ Marconi stuff will be neat to go over; it was huge at the time, but it's barely a blip on my radar anymore. Eight months is a long time in the wrestle-verse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Casey View Post
The belt does look good, NN. The shape/colour of the base plate reminds me of the Mark Henry ECW belt, but I'm not sure if that's just the way it looks in that photo.

Correct-o-mundo, JC!

I wanted some sort of mash up of the WWECW title belt, the original ROH Pure Title, and the old school UWF strap. I love having the company's initials/logo smack dab in the middle of the main plate. I can't believe how many expensive and intricately designed belts make you have to work to figure out whose company's championship it is. It should be plain as day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolinc View Post
That title looks really nice. I'm glad you took the time to get something worth while. I've always thought that the title belt was something that more more important than you'd think. A good one might cost a bit of money, but it makes up for it when your wrestlers aren't embarrassed to be seen with it.

I never considered this until I've been doing it, but having a belt that the guy who holds it likes increases the likelihood that they'll bring it with them to other promotions. Even in an unofficial capacity, having a dozen people get pictures with your champ holding your belt and then posting them as part of their night out social media posts sends your logo and some awareness of your brand places it wouldn't normally get on its own.

One of the main reasons PWT will be a part of this year's WrestleCon (and the Jericho Cruise, but that's another story for another time) is to try to get our stuff out to people from all over the world, instead of simply the market we run live events in.

Last edited by NoNeck : 10-16-2018 at 01:17 PM.