Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM
Phenom

You decide! Ric Flair must drop the WCW World title. Will his successor be...
...an unexpected name?

And when will he lose the belt?

At Halloween Havoc on 28th October
Unread 07-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Casey View Post
I wanted to get this up fairly quick, as this is something I've not tried before, and which I'm excited about for this dynasty.

Here's how this is going to work. You guys are going to help run this game as part of the booking team. Certain decisions will be mine, but other times I'll just be one voice among - I hope - many.

At the end of each meeting of the booking team you'll be given a choice to make, and I'd like your input. The decisions may relate to match outcomes, signings, gimmicks... Whatever. But they'll all affect how the game plays out, to some degree.

Let me have your opinions by PM or here in the diary. Hopefully we'll get enough differing views to have some cool decisions getting made.

And given what Ric's been tasked to do by Ted Turner, I figured that we should start with quite a big one, and two choices for you to make.

The booking team on... the WCW World title

The big gold belt lay in the centre of the table. Dusty reached out and stroked it fondly. The others stared at it reverently.

Ric looked around the room, taking in the booking committee in its current form – Dusty Rhodes, Michael Hayes, Mike Graham and Jim Crockett stared back him. Ric’s own gaze shifted momentarily to the latest copy of the Wrestling Observer, which was covering the latest in the WWF steroid scandal.

Keep your game face on! You’re the boss, and they know it! They’re here for ideas only – they’re not going to tell the Nature Boy what to do!

“Gentlemen, we have a problem,” he began. “The WCW World title is currently around my waist, and that’s a situation that can’t be allowed to stand for much longer. We need a successor.”

“You’re, ah, giving this up, Ric?” Hayes asked, gesturing at the title belt.

“Never willingly, but all good things have to come to end – except for the Nature Boy, of course,” Ric replied, flashing a smile to try and lighten the mood. Dusty was a former champion, the others had been around it many times over the years, but each of them was affected just by being in its vicinity.

“Just to be clear, we’re only talking about the WCW title, is that right?” Crockett asked.

“Yes, the NWA does its own thing. If they agree with us about the champion, it’ll switch too, but I may end up being NWA champion and not WCW champion.”

“How do we play that on TV?” Hayes asked.

“If there’s a split, I could be working the territories again... What’s left of them.”

“So, why do you need our help, Ric?” Crockett asked.

“We need to choose someone to take the WCW title from me.”

Hayes raised his hand immediately.

“Yes?”

“Oh, I’m volunteering,” Hayes said. Ric and Dusty laughed, as Hayes grinned broadly.

“That wouldn’t resolve the conflict of interest,” Ric replied.

We could do worse. And better. But worse.

“I was looking over Herd’s notes for if I didn’t re-sign. He was going to put Lex against Barry at the Bash.”

Dusty shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

“We had to scramble, Ric,” he said. “Luger’s US champion, and Barry...”

“Barry’s a good hand,” Ric allowed. “But not in the running under normal circumstances right now.”

“So, Lex?” Crockett asked.

“Could be. He’s put in his time, but...” Ric paused. He looked around the others.

“Can we go with Lex in a few weeks?” he asked. “I’ve not been feuding with him, and just handing over the title out of the blue... There needs to be a chase, right?”

“Ric, you and Lex have been going at it for years. If anyone can take you down out of the blue without it seeming forced, it’s him.”

“Maybe you’re right,” Ric replied. “Any other ideas?”

“How about Sting?” Hayes asked. “The fans would love to have him on top again.”

Ric frowned.

“The title only came off Sting a few months ago. I’d rather he have a longer chase before giving it back to him.”

“When do you need to decide by?” Crockett asked.

“The Bash is soon. I know Mr Turner doesn’t want me holding the title for too much longer, and that’s the next pay-per-view.”

“Um,” Graham said. Everyone turned to look at him, and he flushed brightly. “That is, I mean...”

“Go ahead, Mike,” Ric said.

“You didn’t take the title off Sting on pay-per-view. It was a house show. That option is still there – or give people a shock and switch it on TV. It’d shake things up, and make people believe anything is possible.”

“The kid’s got a point, Naitch,” Hayes said. “Maybe there’s not time to build something for the Bash, so you throw out an open challenge. Have someone like Pillman or Eaton take it, and you squeak out the win, or even have it go to a draw. A close performance worked to put Sting over a couple of years back.”

“Good point,” Ric said. “It’s not a decision we need to make today, but I’d like to have some sort of clear idea for next time I speak to Mr Turner. I don’t think I can justify keeping it past Halloween Havoc, which is almost four months away.”

“What about Koloff?” Dusty asked.

“Koloff?” Ric replied, staring blankly at him.

“The boy’s got the look, he’s got the moves... He can’t talk all that good, but we’ve got lots of people who can talk, Ric. The Soviet Union’s already lost Lithuania, so Nikita can make a big deal about being independent, about being the first post-Communist star. Maybe we can put him with Paul E as his agent, or have Harley mentor him... I don’t know, just throwing something out there, Ric,” he said, a little defensively.

“It’s good, Dusty, I want ideas, I don’t care how out there they are – I need to hear from different voices. Koloff... I’ve never seen him as a long-term champion, but maybe I need to reconsider. God knows Dangerously could sell snow to Eskimos, so he could sell Koloff as a threat.”

He sat back thoughtfully in his chair.

“In fact, I’m open to ideas about anyone. We’ll come back to this, gentlemen, but now we need to move on to Sunday’s show...”
...the United States champion, Lex Luger?
...the man called Sting?
...the post-Soviet superstar Nikita Koloff
...an unexpected name?

At the Great American Bash on 14th July
At the Clash of the Champions XVI: Summer Sizzler on 14th August
At Clash of the Champions XVII: Fall Brawl on 21st September
On an episode of WCW Saturday Night

WCW Main Event
Brian Pillman vs. Barry Windham
The Italian Stallion vs. The Diamond Studd
El Gigante vs. Jimmy Garvin
The Patriots vs. The Hardliners
PN News vs. Mr Hughes
Tom Zenk vs. Pat Rose
Plus: WCW Television champion Steve Austin will be in action

Will be sending you a PM shortly with my ideas.
Unread 07-27-2016, 01:18 PM
All Star

Nice, interested in this diary. I like the presentation of results as an alternative. I'm not all that familiar with your past work so it's new to me.

As for Flair as booker, he did get runs as booker for WCW throughout the 90s at various points, so it's certainly believable. Fun fact that people don't know: the plan for 1991 was to make Sid the world champion and the face of the company.

Anyway, like your style so far, hope to see the diary keep some progress. Predictions below:

Quote:
WCW Main Event
PN News vs. Mr Hughes
Tom Zenk vs. Pat Rose
Plus: WCW Television champion Steve Austin will be in
Also want to add that I hope you use the Hardliners a lot. I'm a HUGE fan of Murdoch and to a lesser extent Slater. Good team. I normally give them an APA type run in the early 90s. Glad to see a diary using them!
Unread 07-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Brian Pillman
Diamond Studd
El Gigante
Hardliners
PN News
Tom Zenk

Pretty easy predictions to make up. Will be hitting you with a PM! I too liked how you did that, by writing up the highest rated segment and then the rest being just given out like that. Though I would imagine that events would be likely to have it all written? For TV shows of the 90s, it's perfect because the matches weren't all that competitive typically anyways.
Unread 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Star

PN News vs. Mr Hughes
Tom Zenk vs. Pat Rose
Plus: WCW Television champion Steve Austin will be in action
Unread 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM
All Star

PN News vs. Mr Hughes
Tom Zenk vs. Pat Rose
Unread 07-28-2016, 12:53 PM
Living Legend

OOC: Thanks for all the responses re: the World title. I'll keep it open for another day or so before I put up the next booking team meeting. While the World title one was important, the next will be key to WCW's future not just in the short term, but for the next year, maybe even the next decade.

So no pressure or anything...

(Oh, and the show rating for Main Event got tanked for a lack of hot women. Apparently Missy Hyatt was that important to WCW back in 1991!)

World Championship Wrestling presents: Main Event
Sunday, Week 1, July 1991

Show notes
Brian Pillman’s suspension from WCW has been lifted with Jim Herd’s departure, and he returned to action against Barry Windham here – plus ça change, eh? The two haven’t forgotten their rivalry, though, resulting in a bitter match.

Former Television champion Tom Zenk was victorious in his match – then got into a shouting match with reigning champion Steve Austin. Could we see those two clash in the ring in the near future?

The Diamond Studd looked plenty mean alongside Diamond Dallas Page. Page seems to have scored big with his newest client – very big!

Jimmy Garvin rolled into town to face a giant with a grudge. The Freebird may wish he’d stayed out drinking!
Show rating: D

OOC: Incidentally, do people prefer the ME downwards for the shows, or would you prefer the opener at the top?

Last edited by James Casey : 10-14-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Unread 07-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Hall of Fame

I can deal with either method, but my preference is opener first.
Unread 07-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Super Star

My booking suggestion has been sent!
Unread 07-28-2016, 09:12 PM
Living Legend

Well, I didn't get my predictions in for the Main Event(sorry about that.) But here's my thoughts on the booking committee:

The reasoning is simple. Nikita Koloff is someone that I believe deserves a run with the belt that never had one. As for the date? Well, it's the furthest date out that was given. Go Team Flair! LOL.
Unread 07-28-2016, 09:41 PM
All Star

I've never really gotten into any of your previous work because the C-Verse has never sucked me in, but I knew you'd been around a long time and had written stuff that people loved. Now I can totally see why. I love the presentation and everything you're bringing to the table here. This is definitely something I plan on following.

You've got a pretty interesting take on streamlining the process of presenting your TV shows. That's definitely something I'm conscious of in my own work, and I plan on doing things to make all of that easier in my next diary.

I'd say that I prefer opener first in results, but I'm also someone who has only run a handful of shows on TEW2016 so far and thus hasn't had much of a chance to get accustomed to the other way.
Unread 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Living Legend

This is it. The big one. The one that could make the difference between this dynasty becoming a success, or a failure. The Alpha and the Omega, the apex, the zenith, the peak. Everything from here on is just epilogue unless we get this decision right.

Enjoy.

The booking team on... Kevin Nash

“So, what do we do about Kevin Nash?”

“What’s the problem with Oz, Ric?” Dusty replied. Ric stared at him for a moment, wondering how to phrase it.

Short and sweet.

Maybe not so sweet. He came up with the damn fool idea, after all.

“Oz is wrong for Nash. We can use the character another time, maybe-“

Over my dead body!

“-but I figure Oz more to be a front for a smaller guy, like in the film. Oz actually being great and powerful doesn’t seem to work.”

“I got you, Ric!” Dusty said, with a smile. Ric wondered how long Dusty would stay so happy with their relationship.

“I had an idea,” Graham said. Ric nodded encouragingly. Graham was a second-generation wrestler who’d never quite broken through, but he had a good mind for the business, Ric thought.

“If we’re still using idea from the movies...”

Graham glanced nervously at Ric, who smiled and nodded again.

Encourage, encourage, encourage!

“... Nash’d make a pretty good Terminator – a robotic assassin, cold, unfeeling, almost unhurtable,” he added, for the benefit of those looking blank. “We don’t have to make much of the robot thing; Just have him as this unemotional, intimidating monster that it takes a superhuman effort to put down.”

“Okay, Mike, good idea, thanks.”

Graham blushed a little, and Hayes reached over and tousled his hair.

“Does anyone else have any ideas?”

“Ric, I don’t know if you ever saw a film called My Blue Heaven?” Hayes asked. Ric looked at Hayes, who had both his title belts sat on the table in front of him.

I left my World title in the locker room, but PS brings his to the booking meeting. Talk about your conflict of interests right there.

“No, I didn’t see it.”

“Hilarious film, Naitch, check it out – it’s about this gangster who ends up in the witness protection program. That’s not the important thing; The important thing is that the guy is hilarious. Nash can do that, Ric. Did you ever sit down and talk with him?”

Ric shook his head.

“He’s funny. Trust me. He’s got this wicked dry, observational humour... Honestly, the kid’s got a future on colour, but while he’s young, let’s use that humour to get him over.”

“Okay, we could try that as well. Any other ideas?”

“Ric, I’ve honestly never seen anything in Nash that’d tell me he’ll get over in the long-term,” Crockett said. “Yes, he’s big, and yes, he tells a good joke... but he’s slow, he has no idea how to use his size, and honestly, I don’t think his heart is in the business. The best way to use him is to have him put others over. He’ll make an impressive scalp for guys like Bobby Eaton and Steve Austin.”

“Okay, thanks Jim,” Ric said. He turned to Dusty.

“Dream? I know you like Nash for his size. Any other thoughts?”

“Well...” Dusty settled in his chair, and glanced up at the ceiling, his face contemplative. “There’s DDP, who’s been going on for a while about his ‘Diamond Mine’. Now, I know we put him with the ‘birds, but the ‘birds are the ‘birds.”

“Yes we are!” Hayes grinned.

“They are a stable, all by themselves. They’ve got no real bidness with DDP and the Diamond Studd. Now Kevin Nash, yes, he could do something with those boys, yes sirree.”

If they’ve got no business together, why put them together, Dream?

“Thank you, Dusty. Well, I have four choices for Nash, so I’ll give it some thought over the next few days. Now, moving onto other business...”
You decide! Kevin Nash’s WCW future is on the line. Will he...
...become a cold, emotionless Terminator?
...become a wisecracking gangster?
...become the world’s largest enhancement talent?
...start hanging out with DDP and Scott “Diamond Studd” Hall?

And in terms of the World title vote, I'll call it closed after another day or so. One of the questions has a clearer consensus than the other, is all I'll say right now.

Last edited by James Casey : 10-14-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 07-29-2016, 11:56 AM
Super Star

Vinnie Vegas the wisecracking gangster starts hanging out with DDP and the Diamond Studd. Tag team, way to build a couple llower level guys, win-win.
Unread 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM
All Star

Quote:
...the man called Sting?
...an unexpected name?
...an unexpected name? Vader or a surprise worker

Quote:
...start hanging out with DDP and Scott “Diamond Studd” Hall? <---
Unread 07-29-2016, 12:28 PM
All Star

Quote:
...the man called Sting?
...an unexpected name?
I'm going to say Lex Luger. Luger was primed for a big face run. He deserved it.

Quote:
Haha. I say go with cold emotionless terminator!