Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Finish Line Ultimate Racing General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 07-01-2017, 12:15 PM
All Star

Patience, grasshoppers. Patience. Derek's not one of those developers that works in total silence and leaves us in the dark as to what's going on. If he were the average bear in that regard, I'd understand your attitudes, But he's a one man show and he's actually willing to explain the issues he's having. Dude took a step back, got some other stuff done, got a fresh eye on this one and is back at work with that fresh eye. I say we give him the benny of the doubt. With the resume he has, I'd say he has a clear idea of what he's doing and how to make it happen.
Unread 07-01-2017, 01:41 PM
GDS Developer

Thanks, cappyboy! I appreciate your nice words.

Yes, I understand people are annoyed or even quite upset, but i've had a lot going on, both personally and professionally (cross-country move, house issues, coding issues, making other games to bring in income to pay for house, etc) so...that's why this has taken a bit of backseat for awhile.

I'm weighing several options for the game. A possible UI revision? A slightly different approach to the game's in-race interface? Maybe shifting this to Steam Early Access for a wider range of input and some income so I can devote more time to this, and people can play what's already done and I can sharpen it some more? Not sure about any of this or whether its best for the game.

My current project is like 98% finished, and then i'll turn my attention this way. I want to get it done, one way or the other.
Unread 07-01-2017, 02:32 PM
Minor League

This is why many developers will not even discuss time lines because you never know what may happen down the road. But then there's always that small group that want everything set in stone and get pissed when it doesn't work out. Maybe don't let your life completely revolve around a game. LOL Always funny to see these posts about how miserable their life is and how let down they are because a game didn't release at a certain time. Obviously not fans of Bethesda or other major developers that take 6-10 years between franchise releases and you never know they are coming until the day of release.
Unread 07-01-2017, 04:32 PM

LOL @Ragin Cajun
1. Please explain how you could know if someone's life "completely revolves" around a game from simple forum posts?
2. You're right, I must have a miserable life since I am voicing my discontent with a games creator disappearing for months on end after stating it would be finished over 6 months ago.
3. Saying many developers won't discuss timelines is so wrong. Many don't set solid dates yes, but almost every developer will at least gives Q1/2/3/4 and will give development updates.
Unread 07-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
My current project is like 98% finished, and then i'll turn my attention this way. I want to get it done, one way or the other.
YAY! Hopefully we'll be able to playtest it soon.
Unread 07-03-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
Maybe shifting this to Steam Early Access for a wider range of input and some income so I can devote more time to this, and people can play what's already done and I can sharpen it some more?
I like this idea a lot. I think this is the best idea.

Sorry for the harsh words, I’ve just been waiting to play this game for awhile and it has upset me a lot. I look forward to playing this game!
Unread 07-11-2017, 05:46 PM

Ok. Itís been a week and a half since you said it was at 98%. Is there any update to speak of? Iíve been waiting patiently for an update. :-)
Unread 07-13-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Hello? Are you going to leave us in the dark some more?!?!?

OK am I asking TOO MUCH to have a weekly update on this game so we can have a clue!?!?!? I see him active all time yet he never gives an update! It was 98% complete 12 days ago so it should be done now. If not I understand but can we get an update every so often!?!?!? I feel like I have to voice my displeasure to get any sort of response which is wrong!!! I donít want to, but it seems like thatís the case!!!!
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allens39 View Post
OK am I asking TOO MUCH to have a weekly update on this game so we can have a clue!?!?!? I see him active all time yet he never gives an update! It was 98% complete 12 days ago so it should be done now. If not I understand but can we get an update every so often!?!?!? I feel like I have to voice my displeasure to get any sort of response which is wrong!!! I donít want to, but it seems like thatís the case!!!!
You're terribly confused. His current project (not Finish Line) was 98% finished...then he said he would turn his attention to Finish Line.
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Paul View Post
You're terribly confused. His current project (not Finish Line) was 98% finished...then he said he would turn his attention to Finish Line.
Thanks for the correction, Jah Paul. Anyway, I really hope this gets done. One of the first-ever racing management sims from a major company.
Unread 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine States View Post
Thanks for the correction, Jah Paul. Anyway, I really hope this gets done. One of the first-ever racing management sims from a major company.
I'm looking forward to it, too. Been checking in here for ages, but I don't get too concerned about the slow progress. Sometimes that's just the way things go on these projects...I'm sure we'll see it done eventually.
Unread 07-13-2017, 06:02 PM

2 1/2 years + is more than slow progress... itís a garden snail in a 5k. He went wrong in saying it would come out early 2015. And the fact that it was a different project that was at 98% makes it worse. This project should be front and center because itís extremely past due. This project is like watching paint dry on an outside wall in Antarctica. This is really sad.
Unread 07-13-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allens39 View Post
2 1/2 years + is more than slow progress... itís a garden snail in a 5k. He went wrong in saying it would come out early 2015. And the fact that it was a different project that was at 98% makes it worse. This project should be front and center because itís extremely past due. This project is like watching paint dry on an outside wall in Antarctica. This is really sad.
You haven't paid anything for the game...if you're that upset about its delay, move on and send the developer a message by not buying it.
Unread 07-18-2017, 06:24 PM

It gets more disgraceful everyday without a response!
Unread 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Paul View Post
You haven't paid anything for the game...if you're that upset about its delay, move on and send the developer a message by not buying it.
Can't not buy anything that isn't available for purchase.

But I'd imagine a lot of people who were going to buy this game were put off by the fact that it's now been more than 2 years since the announced release date.

I mean, I'm not losing sleep over the fact that this game isn't out yet as it's not my kind of genre at all. I also think some of the criticism that has been expressed in this thread is kind of overblown.
Having said that, it's still a horrible look for him and Greydog Software and if I had hired him as a developer, I'd be really mad
Imagine the outcry if this were TEW or WMMA. People would be going mental, rightfully so.