Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-05-2018, 07:48 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Yep horrible decision to have the biggest draw in wrestling as your Champion. Bob Backlund was the biggest draw in wrestling from 1979 to 1983. Also in 1982 he broke Buddy Rogers record having the biggest gates in a single year. Superstar Billy Graham was breaking down by 1981 by the latest 1982.
I have never gotten the hate for Backlund, those MSG crowds went nuts for his matches and for him. As pure a babyface as they come next to Steamboat. I never found his matches boring. His promos were what they should be given the time period and who he was. Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.

As for Superstar Graham he was a huge draw as champion my only wish is he would have gotten a face run as champion for a bit then drop the title to some heel and then let Backlund take the ball and run, it's not like transitional champions wasn't part and parcel for the WWWF(Volkoff,Steele or Patera for a short run)

Anyways looking forward to your first MSG card
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
Super Star

WWF Championship Wrestling
Announcers: Vince McMahon and Bruno Sammartino
Grade: B

Bob Backlund Interview:

Bruno Sammartino: Fans welcome to WWF Championship Wrestling and I have the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion Bob Backlund with me. Bob welcome, Next Monday you will be defending your title against a man we both have been in the ring against the World's Strongest Man Ken Patera at Madison Square Garden. Are you ready to face this challenge?

Bob Backlund:
As you know Bruno, Patera is a Olympic athelete who has had success in everything he has done. He claims he could of beaten Graham if he had been given a title shot. He claims I have been lucky keeping this title and now he is 100% focus taking this title from me. Every man that walks in the ring to face me have been confidant on that day, they would be the champion. Only to fail time and again from taking the WWWF Ghampionship from me. Grade:A

Tony Atlas vs Terry Taylor
In a poor match, Tony Atlas defeated Terry Taylor in 7:36 by pinfall with The Press Slam. Grade D

Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans with Captain Lou Albano Promo:

Pat Patterson walks out by himself.

Vince McMahon: Last week it seemed you were very upset having your contract sold to Captain Lou Albano and now you don't come out here with him for this interview?

Pat Patterson: I don't want anything to do with the filthy ignorant slob calling himself Captain. Only reason I am teaming with the Wild Samoans here tonight and at Madison Square Garden is because I am contractually obligated to do it.

Captain Lou Albano walks out looking and sounding upset with the Samoans.

Captain Lou Albano: I told you to wait. I don't care if your a big name keep this up and I will sign you to a bunch of preliminary matches where you will be making nothing.

Pat Patterson:You do that and you better remember 10% of nothing is nothing.

Captain Lou Albano starts stammering incoherently.

Vince McMahon:Fans we have to go to commercial. When we comeback it's going to be Pat Patterson and The Wild Samoans in six man tag team match. Grade:A

Barry Windham, Eddie Gilbert and Curt Hennig vs. Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano

In a decent match, Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans defeated Barry Windham, Eddie Gilbert and Curt Hennig in 10:18 when Pat Patterson defeated Barry Windham by submission with a Sleeperhold. Grade: B-

Larry Zbyskzo and Dominic DeNucci Interview:

Vince McMahon: Larry, on my mind since last week and everyone else's mind why I have you refused to be interviewed by your mentor Bruno Sammartino?

Larry Zbyskzo: Ever since I was little a boy growing up in Pittsburgh I idolized "The Living Legend" Bruno Sammartino. He caught me one day watching him work out, and from that day forward he trained me into becoming a professional wrestler. No matter what city I am in when I walk down the street. People yell out to me "Hey Little Bruno". I always hold my head up high because I know a man who is respected by everyone in this world is my teacher, my friend, and my brother.

There is a reason they call you "The Living Legend" and thats because no matter where in the world you go the name Bruno Sammartino is known. I was listening to you telling everyone that you were retiring and then hit me. Unless I step in that ring against you. I will never be out from the shadow my teacher Bruno Sammartino. So I challenge you next week right here on Championship Wrestling to a match.

Bruno Sammartino walks up and hugs Larry.

Bruno Sammartino: Larry I can't face you in the ring your like my brother. I couldn't bare hurting you in that ring. So my answer is no I can't and will not face you. I am sorry. I truly am Larry.

Larry Zbyskzo looks at Bruno sighs and walks off. Seeming to get more angrier with each step he takes away from his mentor.

Grade:A

Hulk Hogan and Hussein Arab w/ Freddie Blassie vs Dominic DeNucci and Larry Zbyszko

In a bout that had fantastic heat and good wrestling, Dominic DeNucci and Larry Zbyszko defeated Hulk Hogan and Hussein Arab in 20:22 when Larry Zbyszko defeated Hulk Hogan by pinfall with a Swinging Neckbreaker. Grade:B-
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod619 View Post
I have never gotten the hate for Backlund, those MSG crowds went nuts for his matches and for him. As pure a babyface as they come next to Steamboat. I never found his matches boring. His promos were what they should be given the time period and who he was. Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.

As for Superstar Graham he was a huge draw as champion my only wish is he would have gotten a face run as champion for a bit then drop the title to some heel and then let Backlund take the ball and run, it's not like transitional champions wasn't part and parcel for the WWWF(Volkoff,Steele or Patera for a short run)

Anyways looking forward to your first MSG card
When I started the 1983 mod that's when I starting learning about Backlund. Because at first I was like everyone else who just listened to people who were there and may or may not had axe to grind. Because they thought they should of been pushed over him.
Then I started work on the 80 mod and started watching his work with Muraco on Youtube and I read his book. He was over where ever he went and was in discussion to be NWA World Champion, before he became WWF Champion. An in my next post as John Hawkes I will explain the real reason Superstar Billy Graham never received that Face push as WWF Champion.
Unread 01-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Super Star

Navy Alumni Hall Lockerroom

The show has been over for the last hour. i think it was a good solid show.

Bruno Sammartino: Good show. Though I don't know why Tony seemed off his game tonight. I heard you and Senior had a little talk?

John Hawkes: Yea,he didn't like Hogan's promo on All-Star where he said he was the star of the 80's.

Bruno Sammartino:(Bruno laughs) Vince just doesn't what another me, or even Dusty Rhodes. Once you get to big for the territories. Well then you can call your own shots. An the promoter really can't do anything about it. That is why Billy was never changed to a babyface. Vince was too scared he was going to end up like Dusty in Florida.

John Hawkes: I heard stories Dusty can now do pretty much whatever he likes down there.

Bruno Sammartino: He can that's why Eddie keeps sending Dusty all over the place. So he can get some people over.
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Super Star

WWF All-Star Wrestling
Grade: B-

Ken Patera and The Grand Wizard Promo:

Vince McMahon: This Monday night at Madison Square Garden your man Ken Patera will be face the World Wrestling Federation Champion Bob Backlund.

The Grand Wizard: Bob Backlund you have been a thorn in my side for too long and come Monday night this man right is going to show you and the world why he is the World's Strongest Man. Because he is going to squeeze the life out of you and become WWF Champion.

Ken Patera: Backlund you are not going to escape Madison Square with your title, because I am going to become the man who ends your reign on Monday Night. Grade:A

Angelo Gomez vs Ken Patera w/ The Grand Wizard

In a decent match, Ken Patera defeated Angelo Gomez in 5:59 by pinfall with a Swinging Neckbreaker. Grade:C

Bulldog Brower and Captain Lou Albano Promo:Grade B+

Vince McMahon: It seems to anyone paying attention Lou Albano you are having problems with one of your charges Pat Patterson.

Bulldog Brower makes strange and terrifying faces into the camera.

Captain Lou Albano: This man right here could be the man to dethrone Bob Backlund given the chance. That coward and snobby french man doesn't learn soon to keep his mouth shut. Well he may have to learn the hard way not to cross the Captain. This Italian punk DeFonzarelli is going to learn real fast you don't step in the ring with Bulldog Brower when the Captain is in bad mood.

Vince McMahon: It's Johnny DeFazio.

Captain Lou Albano: What? Who? Doesn't matter it should be chopped liver because that's what he is going to look like after Bulldog gets done with him.

Vince McMahon: Fans after this commericial we will be right back with Bulldog Brower versus Johnny DeFonzarelli.. I mean DeFazio. Grade:B+

Dick Brower W/ Lou Albano vs Johnny DeFazio

In a decent match, Dick Brower defeated Johnny DeFazio in 6:29 by submission with a Boston Crab. Grade: C+

Bobby Duncum and The Grand Wizard Promo:

Vince McMahon: This Monday night Bobby Duncum you face Mr.USA Tony Atlas.

Bobby Duncum:
I have proven I can take Bob Backlund to the limit and come the Garden Atlas your bags better be packed because I am running you out of this territory. Grade: C+

Tommy Seigler vs Bobby Duncum w/ The Grand Wizard

Bobby Duncum defeated Tommy Seigler in 5:58 by pinfall with a Backbreaker. Grade: B-

WWF World Tag Team Titles Match:
Tito Santana & Ivan Putski (C) vs Tor Kamata and Baron Mikel Scicluna

In a bout that had good heat and decent wrestling, Putski & Santana defeated Tor Kamata and Baron Mikel Scicluna in 15:07 when Tito Santana defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna by submission with a Figure-Four Leglock. Putski & Santana make defence number 3 of their WWF World Tag Team titles. Grade:C

Captain Lou Albano comes into the ring and starts yelling and screaming at the Tag Team Champions. This makes them not to notice that Afa and Sika come in the ring behind them and begin to savagely beat the champions down to the mat. Gorilla Monsoon clears the ring when comes to Tito Santana and Ivan Putski's aide with steel chair in hand.

Vince McMahon:
What condition will the champions be in at Madison Square Garden this Monday night? Grade:B
Unread 01-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod619 View Post
Evil Backlund in the 90s showed he could crazy and cut some wicked promos.
I loved how they setup his heel run in the 90s. It was such a nice call back having him go crazy because Arnold threw in the towel for him and thus cost him his title and began his descent in madness.
Unread 01-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Super Star

You mean the guy that got to wrestle at 3 of the biggest arenas and biggest wrestling markets (NYC, Boston, and Philly) every month was the biggest draw in wrestling? Wow, you don't say. I would have picked the title holder in WWA or Amarillo. And if everything was so hunky-dory, then why did Sr. have to rush an injured Bruno back for the Shea Stadium show? The guy is a literal footnote in history and nowhere near the top 50 list of biggest wrestlers of the 80's. And Superstar was completely broken by getting shafted by Vince Sr. That's largely why he fell apart by 82.
Unread 01-06-2018, 04:48 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartman View Post
You mean the guy that got to wrestle at 3 of the biggest arenas and biggest wrestling markets (NYC, Boston, and Philly) every month was the biggest draw in wrestling? Wow, you don't say. I would have picked the title holder in WWA or Amarillo. And if everything was so hunky-dory, then why did Sr. have to rush an injured Bruno back for the Shea Stadium show? The guy is a literal footnote in history and nowhere near the top 50 list of biggest wrestlers of the 80's. And Superstar was completely broken by getting shafted by Vince Sr. That's largely why he fell apart by 82.
If it upsets you so much that Bob Backlund is the WWF Champion in this diary then don't bother to read it.
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:01 PM
Super Star

WWF Madison Square Garden Monthly Show
Monday,Week 3 January 1980
Attendance: 11,763
Grade: B+

Andre the Giant Promo:

Vince McMahon: I would like to bring out the Eighth Wonder of the World the one true giant in all of professional wrestling Andre the Giant.

Andre comes down to the ring and the fans are cheering the Giant.

Vince McMahon: Tonight, a man who claims that he is going to show the world that he is the true giant in the World Wrestling Federation Hulk Hogan will be facing Dominic DeNucci. How do you think Dominic will fare?

Andre the Giant:
I think Hogan is going to learn that...

A man walks down the aisle with blonde hair and a little pudgy body frame. Gets into the ring and grabs the microphone from McMahon. Andre doesn't look to happy to see him and Vince is trying to figure out who he is.

Andre the Giant:
GET OUT!!!

Vince McMahon: Who are you sir?

Bobby Heenan:
What kind a announcer are you? Not knowing the greatest manager in all of professional wrestling. My name is Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and I am here to offer this seven foot four inch and five hundred pound man the greatest opportunity of his life time. To be the first member of the Heenan Family. I promise you you will be the World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion of the World by the end of this year.

Vince McMahon:
(Puts the microphone in Andre's Face) Andre what do you say to that?

Andre the Giant:
NOOOO!!!(The fans erupt in cheers
Andre takes a few steps towards Heenan who flies between the middle rope to escape Andre.)
Grade A

Bobby Duncum w/ The Grand Wizard vs Tony Atlas

Tony Atlas gave a great showing and if it wasn't for some timely distraction by The Grand Wizard we may of seen a different outcome. In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Bobby Duncum defeated Tony Atlas in 14:45 by submission with a Sleeper Hold. Grade: B-

Gorilla Monsoon and Ivan Putski & Tito Santana vs Pat Patterson and Wild Samoans w/ Lou Albano

The tension between Albano and Patterson played a major factor in this match as Samoans and Patterson take the early advantage. Only to have a miscue as Patterson and Albano began arguing with each other on the outside. Afa tried to pull the two men down. This left Sika alone and isolated in the ring. Gorilla Monsoon after hitting a big body splash pinned Sika in 18:29. Grade: B-

Pat was in the ring and Albano was screaming it was his fault that Sika was pinned. Afa and Sika circled around Patterson as Albano was screaming at him. Then once again Bobby Heenan came out to the ring and entered the ring. Bobby Heenan took the microphone and shook Captain Lou Albano's hand.

Bobby Heenan:
Before this turns real ugly. I like to offer a deal to you Pat Patterson and to you Captain Albano. An that is simple I will pay you handsomely for the contract of one Pat Patterson. Would that be alright with you Pat that I buy your contract?

Pat Patterson: I would work for you Bobby.

Captain Lou Albano: Give me a few days and I will think about it. ( Albano signals for the Samoans to leave the ring.)

Vince McMahon: Bobby Heenan may of just saved Pat Patterson's life. Grade:A

Hussein Arab w/ Freddie Blassie vs Larry Zbyszko

It was more than few times in this match it seemed Bruno was going to leave the announcers' table to aide his protege in the ring. Bruno put over the fact that Larry was like a little brother to him and could never live with himself if he injured Zbyszko. Vince says he understands, but Larry may need to prove that he is as good as Bruno. That Bruno must understand he does casts a larger than life shadow not only over the WWF, but over all of professional wrestling. In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Larry Zbyszko defeated Hussein Arab in 33:15 by submission with a Larry Land Dreamer. Grade: B

Dominic DeNucci vs Hulk Hogan w/ Freddie Blassie

The Incredibe Hulk started this match looking strong as he dominated the early portions of this match. Though Dominic turned the tide after Hogan whipped him into the corner and Hogan came charging into the corner looking to hit a devasting lariat. Dominic moved and Hogan smashed into the corner, this gave Dominic the chance to take the lead in the match. Hogan tried to gain control of the match, but he just couldn't do it. n a bout that had great heat and decent wrestling, Dominic DeNucci defeated Hulk Hogan in 10:30 when Hulk Hogan intentionally got disqualified when Hogan getting frustrated and took Blassie's cane and repeatedly beat DeNucci over the head and back. Grade:C

WWF Heavyweight Title Match:
Ken Patera w/ The Grand Wizard vs Bob Backlund(C)

When Bob Backlund came from the dressing room the crowd erupted. As Backlund and Patera battled through this match we saw holds and counter holds with Backlund coming out on top of that. Then Patera took the lead with a more brawling style that lead to few close pinfalls for the challenger. The finish of the match came as both men began brawling on the outside of the ring. Bob Backlund defeated Ken Patera in 44:06 when Ken Patera getting frustrated left ringside and was counted out. Grade: B

The Grand Wizard talked Patera into coming back out to the ring, but it was too late. He already lost the match by countout. Patera viciously attacks Backlund from behind and picks up the title. As he waits for Back lund to get to his feet and swings to hit Backlund only he misses. Backlund and Patera are swinging wildly as staff is trying to break these two men apart.

Vince McMahon:
Backlund may of won this match, but I think the war between these two men have only just begun. Grade A*
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Super Star

WWF Championship Wrestling
Grade:B

Chavo Guerrero vs Jim Duggan
In a bout that had decent wrestling but didn't have much heat, Chavo Guerrero defeated Jim Duggan in 10:09 by pinfall with a German Suplex. Grade:C-

Bobby Heenan introduces his first client:

Vince McMahon:
I like to bring out the newest manager in the World Wrestling Federation Bobby "The Brain" Heenan.

Bobby Heenan:
Andre you made a mistake not signing with me. Now I have went out and gotten the hottest rising star in the world I give you the Incredible Hulk Hogan.

(Incredible Hulk walks out and the fans begin booing him.)

Bobby Heenan:
Listen to me right now McMahon this man is going to be a force in this business for a very long time. A with me guiding his career your going to see this man becoming one day World Wrestling Federation Heavyweight Champion of the World. First the Incredible Hulk is going to end the career of one Andre the Giant.

Vince McMahon: What about the contract of Pat Patterson?

Bobby Heenan: The Captain hasn't gotten back with me yet about the contract of Mister Patterson.

Grade: A

WWF World Tag Team Titles Match:
Ivan Putski & Tito Santana (C) vs The Wild Samoans w/ Captain Lou Albano

In a bout that had superb wrestling and great heat, Wild Samoans defeated Putski & Santana in 7:52 when Afa defeated Ivan Putski by pinfall with a Samoan Drop. Wild Samoans win the WWF World Tag Team titles. Grade: B

Larry Zbyszko Interview:

Bruno Sammartino:
Larry tonight you challenge Pat Patterson for the Intercontinental Title. Your thoughts on Pat Patterson.

Larry Zbyszko: Bruno I no you said no last week, but will face me in a match.

Bruno Sammartino: Larry.. I can't do it Larry. I will not face you in that ring.

Larry Zbyszko:
Then after tonight no matter win or lose. I am going to retire, because unless I face you I will never be able to get out from the under the shadow of Bruno Sammartino.

Bruno Sammartino:
Larry you need to think this through.

Larry Zbyszko: I have if I can't face you in that ring then I am retired after tonight. Grade:A

WWF Intercontinental Title Match:
Pat Patterson (C)w/ Lou Albano vs Larry Zbyszko

In a bout that had fantastic heat and great wrestling, Larry Zbyszko defeated Pat Patterson in 11:49 by pinfall after Lou Albano clubbered Pat Patterson with a pair of brass knuckles. Larry Zbyszko wins the WWF Intercontinental title. Grade: B

Samoans Destroy Patterson:

Patterson recovers and grabs Albano by his hawaiin shirt when out of nowhere come the Samoans who lay waste to Patterson leaving him a bloody mess in the ring.

Captain Lou Albano:
I don't care how much Heenan was going to pay me for your contract. Because watching you lay on that mat a bloody mess is worth all the money I paid for your contract.
(Captain Lou and Samoans leave the ring area. Patterson who is being held up by officials ask for the microphone.)

Pat Patterson:
ALBANOOOO!!!!ALBANOOO!!! I AM GOING TO MAKE YOU PAY!!!!! WITH YOUR BLOOD!!!!!!!!!! Grade: A

Sgt. Slaughter w/ The Grand Wizard vs Barry Windham
In a decent match, Sgt. Slaughter defeated Barry Windham in 8:53 by submission with a Cobra Clutch. Grade:C
Unread 01-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Star

Prediction Results are in:
BHK1978= 4/5

lod619=1/5

[b]Theheel= 1/5[/B

Beejus= 2/5

TsuMirren= 3/5

ElectricX= 4/5

ElectricX and BHK1978 are the WINNERS!!!!!!!!!Congratulations guys.

This contest will go until the July Madison Square Garden show. An winner will get choose something for the Shea Stadium show.
Unread 01-06-2018, 07:07 PM
Phenom

Very nice opening big card, even if I only got 1 out of 5 lol. Like the way you got the main event booked. Great to see the managers (something that is lost and greatly missed in today’s sports entertainment) get so involved in the outcome. Just having them there is great.
Unread 01-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Low Minors

Well I don't feel so bad only getting one right pick. I thought for sure I had at least a couple more than that. Oh well there's always next time.

Be interesting to see the dynamic if there is any interaction between a heel Hogan and Heenan. I've played around with the idea of what would happen if those two had teamed up in the AWA.
Unread 01-07-2018, 07:00 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarasus View Post
If it upsets you so much that Bob Backlund is the WWF Champion in this diary then don't bother to read it.
Woah, someone like 2 days worth of posts hadn't loaded for me when I posted that. Weird bug. You explained it pretty well with Superstar. However, just throwing financial numbers out there to say that Backlund was awesome is pretty irrelevant because of where WWF was located. Any top guy could have drawn pretty close to that much money because that's what being WWF champ meant at that time. That changed once the territories died, which is why you can rip a lot (not Bret or Shawn) of the mid-90's WWF guys for not drawing as champ.

It would be completely weird to not have Backlund as the champ in this diary. I mean you really have no choice given who is on the roster though, which was my point in my first comment. Vince Sr. had let his fed atrophy which is why VKM had to go out and hire around 90% of his roster for WM1. My comments had nothing to do with you putting Backlund as champ. It would be like complaining that Bockwinkel is AWA champ or Lawler in Memphis.
Unread 01-07-2018, 08:42 PM
Super Star

Vince McMahon Senior: What were you thinking. I brought you into this company to run it the way I want it ran. I tell you when switch titles, especially giving it to that punk kid of Bruno's. It was suppose to go to Ken not Larry.

John Hawkes: Mister McMahon you need to understand title switches were necessary. Patterson is injured and I don't know how long were going to be without him. Ivan is dragging down every match he is in while the Samoans are doing great.

Vince McMahon Senior: This was a mistake hiring Jack Curley's great grandson to book my company.

John Hawkes: My great grandfather was one of the greatest promoters to ever be in this business. If it wasn't for you're ex backstabbing partners and you're father. I would be running New York and you know it. They stole New York from my grandfather as his dad was on his deathbed. Every promoter around North America joined in to keep my family out of this business Vince.

Vince McMahon Senior: I don't need you here screw up what I built for my family. Because when I die my son will take this company to heights only imagined.

John Hawkes: That's it.