Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-14-2019, 01:22 AM
Rookie

Default AI TV Shows (1.57)

Not sure if this is a bug or if there's just a setting that I've overlooked, but it seems to me that AI companies are not launching new TV shows.

I've been messing around with an organic database. Once the companies hit regional and could get deals, I noticed that they'd start broadcasting their monthly events rather than weekly TV. I simmed about 10 years and not once did any company launch a weekly. For this initial run, all the companies were set to a "traditional" strategy.

So, I switched half of the companies to "TV-oriented." Same results over a 10 year sim.

I then switched some of the companies to "entirely TV." Those companies wouldn't start TV shows OR air their monthly events. I ran that for about five years before giving up.

In all these scenarios, I could take control of one of these companies and put a show on the air. Is there some other factor making the AI adverse to running TV that I'm missing?
Unread 02-14-2019, 03:39 AM
GDS Developer

The AI definitely can launch TV shows - this is visible in any number of diaries across the board, and happens regularly within the default data. If you're not seeing it happen it means your database is likely set up to prevent it, such as having no TV names available. Without knowing anything about your database set up it'd be very hard to give any answer any more specific than that, but I'd recommend you start there as lack of names is usually the cause.
Unread 02-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Rookie

I have 200 TV show names in my database and the companies also have premade TV shows assigned to them. Much of the framework I'm using for this -- networks, generic names, etc - has been lifted directly from the default data. (Or CV97 - I can't remember.)

I decided to experiment with a different database. Used CV97 because it has more networks for smaller promotions to use but is still set up similarly to the default data. I bumped a number of companies up to TV-ready pop, then simmed 2 1/2 years. Four companies signed new broadcasting details to air their events. Nobody launched a TV show.

What other factors could be influencing this? I'm at a loss.

EDIT: Could it be a finance issue? Like the AI is worried they can't afford a weekly show? I've been running more tests, this time with the Effganic Not Ready for Primetime mod. I did see one company create a TV show and then they swiftly went under. All other companies have opted to broadcast monthly events so far. Basically, I'm wondering what I can do in the data to encourage more TV.

Last edited by MainOffender : 02-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Unread Yesterday, 03:31 AM
GDS Developer

Finance is one potential issue, yes, as is size. Companies need to reach a certain size and financial strength in order to launch a TV show. Sub-Cult are rarely if ever going to want to have TV.

If you've got a database full of small companies then you're not going to see much in the way of TV deals because they wouldn't be able to stay alive with the associated costs - you have to remember that their workers are on PPA deals, so they'd be going from 1 show a month to 5, which is a massive increase in expenditure.
Unread Yesterday, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Hmm. Yeah, that is the kind of database I'm working on, trying to emulate the regional days when smaller companies would broadcast shows on local TV. I do think that the AI may be a bit too risk adverse in its calculations. Originally, in my test runs, I had all of my small/regional companies set to run weekly events. They rarely went bankrupt and would grow at a decent clip, but this workaround led to a few other problems and immersion issues that left me using the in-save editor a lot. Maybe I've played too many Road to Glory games, so I know that running weekly shows at regional is the best way to make money and expand. These AI owners need to play more TEW.

Can you clue me in to what the financial balance and size requirements might be for a regional level company to hunt a TV deal? Or is the size requirement simply "cult"?
Unread Yesterday, 11:50 AM
GDS Developer

Regional companies aren't meant to have TV deals, so you can't get them organically; without 85% of the roster being on written deals the AI will not pursue them due to the financial implications. So you can preset them with a bunch of written contracts to get around that, but obviously that will eventually stop working as their roster gets replaced with PPA talent.
Unread Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Rookie

Got it. Thanks Adam!