Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Low Minors

Default Finally, a breakthrough with match aims.

Okay folks so I wanted to post my findings on Match Aim's and how to use them properly for the best effect. Feel free to argue, add to, or use these methods!

Some players will find Crowd Management and Match Aim's impossible so just turn them off. I however, love to tool with these and play with the games dynamics. It wasn't until I started watching AAA on Twitch recently that I truly understood the real nature of match aims and how they correlate to the game.

For reference I generally play games with a 50/50 split on performance and popularity, or performance over popularity.

I am playing a fantasy historical game inserting MLW into 1996 as a touring company based in Canada but also Europe. Kind of going for a Cache meets ECW feel. My product requires at least one match with storytelling, technical masterclass, comedy, and steal the show/car crash/high spot per show.

One of my biggest issues with match aims initially were Technical Masterclass, Epic, and Spectacle. I quickly found that you can put a Masterclass as the opening match and get a great rating so long as the workers had high technical stats. So I used that, but it's ridiculous, what company starts every show with a Technical Masterclass? So I decided to try and find how to make this work, as it should, anywhere on the card I want it. I believe this practice works as well for Spectacle and Epic match aims as well...

Let's say I am doing a 2 hour show and I want to have a featured technical masterclass match. My show will look like this...

MAIN EVENT - Storytelling
TECHNICAL MASTERCLASS - (can use also slow build or all out if you think your workers can handle it. Must be over 16 minutes long.
LIFT THE CROWD - Generally use mid card or upper mid carders to get a solid rating that doesn't hurt a storyline. This match aim is key.
COMEDY - Very beneficial and I'd recommend you use this element in your product if you can. Every company uses this. At least one worker should over over 70 comedy, can't be over 10 minutes.
HIGH SPOT/STEAL THE SHOW/WILD BRAWL/CAR CRASH - High Spots can go up to 15 minutes, make sure one guy has over 71 in Ariel or flashiness. Steal the show, under 20 minutes and make sure for high stats and stamina) Wild Brawl under 15, someone needs over 71 in brawling, and Car Crash requires one person with high psychology and good stamina is needed, under 20 minutes).
WORK THE CROWD - You don't have to use this aim but I like to on certain shows. Sometimes I want a banger for an opening and I won't use it but I like to build the show so using one worker who is at least a midcarder with charisma will get a solid rating for the "bonus for good start to the show".

Now furthermore...

If you don't have comedy as a part of your promotion you can use "calm the crowd". In the past never used comedy in my shows and would have varied results when I would book a spectacle or epic.

I would usually use a spectacle or epic as a main event and book it like this...

MAIN EVENT - Spectacle/Epic
CALM THE CROWD - Usually under 10 minutes and I try not to further a storyline in this match because it will usually lower the rating. However I have found that if you put two people who are over, say upper mid card, and use this match aim, you can still get a solid rating. I've had them in the low 80's.

I have found if you use CALM THE CROWD before TECHNICAL MASTERCLASS without "LIFT THE CROWD" (and work the crowd could work as well they seem almost interchangeable) that you will get a bad rating for your TECHNICAL MASTERCLASS because there is no heat. However I have had plenty of success with CALM THE CROWD before Spectacle/Epic. However it's not always as high of a rating as I want. So It is my belief the best way to use TECHMAST/SPEC/EPIC is ...

TECH/EPIC/SPEC
LIFT/WORK
CALM/COMEDY

People have a lot of questions about storytelling. I'd like to explain my thoughts on this as well because I've had a lot of success with it. Storytelling matches are the matches that get you from TV to PPV. The details are in YOUR head. The game does penalize you for using this, because the goal of the match is not a 5 star classic, but to progress a story. As pointed out in the game, it doesn't have to be an actual actual storyline for the match aim to work. However, like any match or match aim, if you have a hot storyline under it, it will get a higher rating so long as your booking and the workers performance does the storyline rating justice.

STORYTELLING examples...

If you are running a WWF story from 99... Let's say you have an upcoming PPV with Rock and Kane as the main event. On TV one option you have to further the story line would be to have Rock and Kane in matches together. But you can't do that every week, so maybe you have Rock defend his title on Smakdown one week against Mick Foley. But it's just a TV match, you don't want to tax the workers and cause major damage to either's popularity so you could have Kane do a run in and cause a DQ. Use the Storytelling match aim and you won't do major damage to Mick Foley for losing the match, because the focus became the story with Kane and Rock, Foley is an afterthought, and also Rock won't get a major pop bonus because the ending of the match was bullshit.

So basically, use storytelling match aim for workers with higher popularity or in a popular storyline will get you the best result. It certainly doesn't have to be a main event but it is a great tool to keep workers fresh and not damage popularity. Someone has to win and lose and you don't want your main guys falling down to upper mid card because they took an L on Thunder.

On my 2 hour card I presented above I'd like to point out another successful way to use storytelling along with the other match aims.

MAIN EVENT - Regular/Steal Show/Car Crash/Storytelling/Wild Brawl (if under 15 minutes)
TECHNICAL MASTERCLASS/SPECTACLE/EPIC
LIFT THE CROWD
COMEDY
HIGH SPOT/WILD BRAWL/STEAL CHOW/CAR CRASH
STORYTELLING/WORK THE CROWD/LIFT THE CROWD

The one match AIM that I never use is Mayhem. The promotions that I run always react negatively towards that match. If your promotion accepts that match aim I would try using it in the same way as COMEDY/LIFT/WORK but that is just a guess.
Unread 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM
Minor League

Another good alternative to Comedy/ Calm the Crowd? Eye Candy. If you've got Risque at Medium or higher, start a Women's division, hire some ladies with at least Decent Sex Appeal, and soon you'll be seeing match ratings in the 70s and 80s even with workers with very low popularity.
Unread 03-12-2019, 03:38 AM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffJordan View Post
The one match AIM that I never use is Mayhem. The promotions that I run always react negatively towards that match. If your promotion accepts that match aim I would try using it in the same way as COMEDY/LIFT/WORK but that is just a guess.
Uh, no, I don't think Mayhem achieves the same purpose as Comedy/Lift/work. It's what you'd want to use if you want to get your crowd to "buzzing" state but don't have any good workers. All the other Match Aims that can achieve "buzzing" (Epic/Steal the show/Spectacle/Wild Brawl/High Spots) requires your worker to have good (B- or higher, depending on the Match Aim) stats in at least one area. I think Mayhem is the only good alternative if you want to get the crowd to peak using mediocre workers. I mean, I think you might still be able to use the other Match Aims to buzz the crowd even with bad workers, but the poor stat will give you bad ratings for the match, while Mayhem will reduce the penalty for low stat.

Also, I've experienced with different products and almost all the companies in C-Verse, but I've yet to find one where you don't get a penalty for Overbooking (which comes automatically with Mayhem). I'm not sure it's possible to avoid taking at least some penalty for using Mayhem/Overbook. I think the different products simply increase or reduce the proportion of the penalty, but doesn't completely avoid it.
Unread 03-13-2019, 08:01 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocke View Post
Uh, no, I don't think Mayhem achieves the same purpose as Comedy/Lift/work. It's what you'd want to use if you want to get your crowd to "buzzing" state but don't have any good workers.
That is correct. In hardcore promotions especially, you'll get it as an alternative for you required match goals per show and more often than not, your roster will include many unskilled workers just because they happened to be available, cheap and willing to work high injury risk/content matches.

For example, I like to play as GSW and have done so in several saves. Their product definition requires at least one High Spots/Car Crash/Steal the Show match and one Wild Brawl/Car Crash/Mayhem match per show. Here are the two most often scenarios I've found myself in:

Scenario A: Put two workers with good consistency, stamina and resilience (and safety) in a Car Crash match. It covers both match aim requirements at once, but it's not often I get workers that can pull it off and the increased injury risk of the match aim on top of fans being turned off by low risk matches means I avoid using my main eventers and promising rookies for these

Scenario B: Use two high flying daredevils in a High Spots match, then book another match as either Wild Brawl or Mayhem. Thing is, very few people on the starting GSW roster can pull off a decent Wild Brawl (Cali Slick and Dead Men Walking, really) but there are several whose incompetence can be hidden through overbooking, most notably Magwitch and State of Destruction. SoD start as tag team champions and monster heels. BB Colossus blows up after 6 minutes in a tag match and Boneyard is loyal to the owner, so I end up booking them in Mayhem matches.
Unread 03-13-2019, 09:54 AM
Major League

Not bad. Here's what I like to do in a pop=perf fed.
Key Feature: Mainstream
Heavy: Realism, Traditional
Medum: Modern, Cult
Low: Pure, Comedy

9. MAIN EVENT: Regular
This will let the workers decide and I find it the most forgiving. The only 5* matches I've ever gotten is with this. I add in a Slow Build and if it's a big show a crazy or stunt bump.

then the rest of the card functions to set up the main event.

8. This one varies depending on my workers and the show. Bigger shows this would be my first of 2 main events. I like to traditionally book my World title in the main event so when I have huge Icon vs Icon matches that aren't for the title I put it here.
Some examples are in the C-Verse I did a Sammy Bach vs Marat Khoklov Once In A Lifetime here - where I didn't want Khoklov stinking up my main event but I really wanted to do this match so I put it here.

7. Storytelling - Keep building that crowd's anticipation

6. Storytelling - Get the crowd hotter

5. Comedy - Just to let the crowd chill and take in that show stealing match
you just put on

4. Steal The Show - Get that crowd pumped up with your flashiest high stamina workers

3. Storytelling - workers with high Psych that would otherwise have a highly rated match

2. Technical Masterclass - Workers with high Basics, mat and chain wrestling

1. Work The Crowd - I use midcarders with a lot of charisma, flashiness and SQ here

Alternates
#5 Comedy can be replaced with Calm the Crowd as well
#6 Storytelling can be replaced with Work The Crowd
#4 Steal the Show can be replaced with High Spots
#8 Once In A Lifetime can be just a regular in most cases
Main Event if you're feeling brave and have particularly amazing workers (100 Psych, High Charisma, High SQ) you can try an Epic or a Spectacle

NOTES:
I never Storytelling or Technical Masterclass in my main events but I can theoretically see the reasoning for doing so on a B-Show. I prefer to leave Main Events Regular though and let the worker's skills decide how they run the match.
Unread 03-14-2019, 06:23 AM
All Star

I hope match aims get a much needed improvement an expansion in 2020.
Unread 03-16-2019, 07:57 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn michaels View Post
I hope match aims get a much needed improvement an expansion in 2020.
What improvement do you think they need?
Unread 03-16-2019, 09:51 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
What improvement do you think they need?
I cannot speak for Kingster but as for myself, figuring out match aims has completely dominated my experience. I think the explanation for their use is what would trip me up for the longest time because I don't feel that TEW crowd management works for every promotions style. A lot of players turn the feature off all together but I would say to them, when you get it right it makes your shows come off much more diverse and interesting.

I guess at this point I'd like to know exactly what the game is going to provide as far as bonuses or negatives when I choose a match aim.

Like... Spectacle... Is the only requirement to get a bonus that both workers have strong charisma, psychology and stamina? But epic is all of that plus at least one high level stat? And what about epic, is it just the HOI qualification that gives a bonus or do they also have to have the requirements of Spectacle or Epic?

How much can one workers psychology make a match work? Like if I have Ric Flair at 99 psychology with Mongo at 33 vs Buff Bagwell at 57 and Scott Norton at 40, will Flair be enough or should there be someone else with higher psychology. Maybe these questions is what keeps me playing.
Unread 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffJordan View Post
I cannot speak for Kingster but as for myself, figuring out match aims has completely dominated my experience. I think the explanation for their use is what would trip me up for the longest time because I don't feel that TEW crowd management works for every promotions style. A lot of players turn the feature off all together but I would say to them, when you get it right it makes your shows come off much more diverse and interesting.

I guess at this point I'd like to know exactly what the game is going to provide as far as bonuses or negatives when I choose a match aim.

Like... Spectacle... Is the only requirement to get a bonus that both workers have strong charisma, psychology and stamina? But epic is all of that plus at least one high level stat? And what about epic, is it just the HOI qualification that gives a bonus or do they also have to have the requirements of Spectacle or Epic?

How much can one workers psychology make a match work? Like if I have Ric Flair at 99 psychology with Mongo at 33 vs Buff Bagwell at 57 and Scott Norton at 40, will Flair be enough or should there be someone else with higher psychology. Maybe these questions is what keeps me playing.
As to the one workers psychology carrying thing, I actually think this should be how it works, granted you don't script the match. Something I'd like to see is relationships and backstage stuff to affect this more. So if Flair is booker, and Bagwell is PISSED at the outcome of the PPV in September, maybe he ignores some of Rick's calls and this effects the flow of the match. Other than that, I think the system should work this way.

As to the spectacle/Epic stuff, I think these could use some work, too much overlap here that makes you ask if both need to exist.
Unread 03-20-2019, 05:55 PM
Low Minors

I've learned to go with this for a Pop > Perf or Pop = Perf.

Top of the card:

11. Main Event: Spectacle or Epic. I prefer about 24 mins.
10. Pre-Main: Calm the Crowd Tag Team with good but not great workers.
9. Segment - Main Event Segment
8. Steal the Show
7. Segment 60-70
6. Storytelling
5. Segment 80+
4. Storytelling/Technical Masterclass
3. Calm Crowd/Comedy/Eye Candy
2. Segment
1. Steal the Show.
0. Segment with Main Eventers, goal 85+.

I learned that if I start with a big segment then explosive match, I have a strong start but Calm the Crowd to get the first "downhill" of the roller coaster. Then, I use a combination of storytelling matches and segments to get a buzz going on the lower side before I end how I began: Steal the Show into a Main Event segment, then "Calm the Crowd".

I've learned that Technical Masterclass, Epic, and Spectacle only like being done when crowds have just been calmed. I hesitate to ever place a segment in between it. I treat the co-main throwaway match as an Intermission Match. Something to let the fans calm down after Shawn/Undertaker, but before HHH/Jericho, so fans can enter the main event hyped.
Unread 03-21-2019, 04:03 PM
Phenom

So am I the only one who only uses aims when the product requires it? I honestly never knew people used them for most/all their matches.
Unread Yesterday, 04:03 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone Rivendale View Post
So am I the only one who only uses aims when the product requires it? I honestly never knew people used them for most/all their matches.
Sometimes you can actually increase a match's quality with the right match aim. I like to have a High Spots match for guys who aren't very popular but have very good high flying skills for example, or Technical Masterclass for the same if they have good technical skills.

But other than that, yea I agree, using the non-required match aims feels gratuitous 90% of the time.
Unread Yesterday, 11:42 PM
Minor League

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourin81 View Post
Sometimes you can actually increase a match's quality with the right match aim. I like to have a High Spots match for guys who aren't very popular but have very good high flying skills for example, or Technical Masterclass for the same if they have good technical skills.

But other than that, yea I agree, using the non-required match aims feels gratuitous 90% of the time.
This. I'll also use non-required match aims if I have workers who can pull it off. Sticking Suzanne Brazzle and Tracy Brendon in a Wild Brawl in AAA or The Amazing Bumfholes vs the Awesomeness in a High Spots match is really a no-brainer, especially if you use a Brawl-based or High Spots-based match type. Not that the former is necessarily required for the latter. A Strap Match with the two aforementioned ladies really SHOULD be a main event, in which case, you'd probably want Spectacle or Epic.
Unread Today, 07:26 AM
Rookie

If I have a 5-6 matches on a card I'd prefer not to have to book the same 15-minute grappling session on the first/second match of every show TBH.

Also having two matches that 'calms' the crowd after a hot opener is...IDK...
Unread Today, 01:19 PM
Super Star

I learned in this thread people are using way too many match aims on their cards.