Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Low Minors

Default Have you been beaten by the AI?

I was wondering who has been beaten or at least seriously challenged by the AI in single games. In which games and circumstances have you lost against AI companies or could not overtake them?

I love the game but lately feel that I need to help with house rules or even take control of AI companies (e.g. make sure the right workers get hired) in order to feel challenged. Sometimes I feel that if you follow certain strategies you will rarely be really challenged and can easily beat the AI in most games.
Unread 08-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Living Legend

USPW in my current SWF game is super predator like. The second my contracts come up they're outbidding me. I have to offer outrageous contracts to keep my people. Luckily I'm making enough money to counteract it, but it's making it take forever to save up to buy a broadcaster.
Unread 08-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Major League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker1976 View Post
I was wondering who has been beaten or at least seriously challenged by the AI in single games. In which games and circumstances have you lost against AI companies or could not overtake them?

I love the game but lately feel that I need to help with house rules or even take control of AI companies (e.g. make sure the right workers get hired) in order to feel challenged. Sometimes I feel that if you follow certain strategies you will rarely be really challenged and can easily beat the AI in most games.
Once you figure out how the game works, its EXTREMELY easy to game it, I feel like for the most part you have to go out of you way to not game / to play realistic if you don't want it become real easy mode. Marat Khoklov is an easy example of this. To win any of the starting national battles, all you have to do is sign Marat Khoklov. AI should be smart enough to know that they'll get shoved to cult if they let the UC take Khoklov but they won't bother challenging. Buddy Garner too, if you're in Japan.

That is all to say, I 100% agree with you that you have to set house rules and deliberately avoid things that are a bit too game-y.

I feel somewhat challenged in my RTG game, a company popped up that is regional and is getting C- in ratings to my E+ so I'm losing the regional battles and struggling to grow more than .1% per month (tanked industry/economy helps). But this is mostly because I'm not really going out of my way to sign guys that would carry me (Spencer Spade/Scythe are available right now, as an example, and would probably propel me past C- without much trouble if I sacrificed a handful of the 100$ contracts I have because I like 8 match cards), and its not like I'm losing pop or money. So it's mostly just slowing me down and they're pretty much bound to go bankrupt.

The game's a bit too sandboxy for it to ever be a big challenge imo (this isn't to criticize those who do struggle, but I'm sure you'll find it to be that way too when you get to know enough of the mechanics).
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Super Star

I hate being at war with WCW. They will outbid me on almost every worker. I sign all my talent to long term deals when I can (and will edit their contract instead of releasing them when I get rid of them).

But WCW is brutal and New Japan is near impossible to compete with in a pure match contest. I lose national battles all the time to WCW and NJPW.
Unread 08-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Low Minors

This happens to me a lot. When I run AAA or QAW and hit Cult (which is a lot easier to do with the latter than the former) and then try to sign someone to a written, there's a good chance USPW will swoop in. "Dude, you guys don't even use the women you do have that much!" (Theoretically, NOTBPW would do this do, but I've figured out how to reliably take them out of the equation every single time). Same deal with OLLIE and SOTBPW.
Unread 08-13-2018, 02:50 AM
Low Minors

ECW is the only challenge I've still haven't been able to go to the next level without completely moving it away from what it is supposed to be it's almost impossible.
Unread 08-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon The GOAT View Post
Once you figure out how the game works, its EXTREMELY easy to game it, I feel like for the most part you have to go out of you way to not game / to play realistic if you don't want it become real easy mode. Marat Khoklov is an easy example of this. To win any of the starting national battles, all you have to do is sign Marat Khoklov. AI should be smart enough to know that they'll get shoved to cult if they let the UC take Khoklov but they won't bother challenging. Buddy Garner too, if you're in Japan.
That is basically how I feel, if on the same level I think once you know how the game works you will always outplay the AI (and I do not even consider myself a master of the game, I just follow a few ground rules)

Now don't get me wrong I would not want to play a game which I would fail at everytime but I would like the AI to challenge me a bit more. Also to create more situations like the Monday Night Wars, in which a competitor (WCW) all of a sudden overtakes you - I personally have not seen it. For me the most challenging situations are workers getting injured or backstage problems or when I give myself house rules.
Unread 08-13-2018, 04:12 PM
All Star

Never. The game is very deep, but extremely easy for a veteran player.
Unread 08-14-2018, 02:06 AM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16NJD16 View Post
Never. The game is very deep, but extremely easy for a veteran player.
I wonder what could be done to make the AI more competetive without having to rewrite the programme. I have noticed that the AI seems very slow in building momentun and popularity for their workers. Most workers in AI feds really only go up or down in momentum 1 or 2 points if at all. In my mind this is a huge disadvantage as it seems building popularity for human players moves much quicker.