Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Grey Dog Software General Discussions
Register Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-15-2020, 01:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Those reasons make perfect sense. You can't think boxing and MMA striking is the same.

You can do striking-only contests in that game easily. There's mods that did just that. It comes pretty close to a decent boxing game.
You don't need mods. You go to the Fight Engine and reduce the effectiveness of wrestling, submissions, kicks etc to zero. Punch effectiveness remains normal, and it's a 75% complete boxing game.

However...

1. Fighters will still attempt those non-boxing moves with the same frequency, so the bouts will be full of missed takedowns and kicks.
2. Fight Engine sets the engine for every promotion, so you can't have one boxing company and one MMA company. Every company in the world would be boxing. A possible workaround is to change the active fight engine before and after every one of your shows (i.e. MMA, then change to boxing, then back to MMA) but this is labour intensive, easy to forget, and you can't run a show on the same day as another company or you'd both use the same engine.
3. This doesn't take into account boxing scoring of knockdowns. There are rounds where a fighter will get knocked down, get back up before the ten count, and judges will only score it 10-9 (or even in favour of the fighter who got knocked down).

It would be a few days' work maximum for Ryland to simply take out the non-boxing text from fights (fighters attempting kicks, etc) for a punching-only ruleset, or give us a text editor for fights (he's been monopolosing that like Smaug sitting on gold) so we can do it ourselves.

This would be the same process he's already done in the stomping rules - enable it and fighters will stomp an opponent when they're down, disable it and they won't. It's an easy change that involves looking through the database and analysing what is and isn't a legal move under those particular rules.

However people have been asking for years for a legacy MMA ruleset and Ryland won't even allow them that. It's impossible to simulate a UFC 1 fight because Adam won't allow it - he refused to write that text, he refused to implement those rules.

The ONLY thing Ryland allows is the boring Unified Rules garbage that he's personally a fan of.

As sandbox games, WMMA and TEW are both very limiting.
Unread 05-15-2020, 01:50 PM
Living Legend

You want a boxing game, and now you're complaining that MMA companies can't exist in WMMA-turned-boxing game?

You also need to set "loves to strike", and I can assure you they will almost never try to clinch. And maybe it's just me seeing it a 100 times on TV, but boxers als try to clinch sometimes.

And you're giving extreme examples. A knockdown is worth a lot of "round points". Of course a fighter outstriking his opponent during the rest of the bout will get the nod for that round.

Just like EA in their latest UFC game, he's made an effort to accomodate for the few - and I do mean few: probably you, me, and a handful of people - that would like to simulate these striking-only fights. It can always be better, but be thankful for what you get.

And can you please cut down on the personal attacks? Its almost comical.
Unread 05-15-2020, 03:04 PM
Low Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngz999 View Post
You don't need mods. You go to the Fight Engine and reduce the effectiveness of wrestling, submissions, kicks etc to zero. Punch effectiveness remains normal, and it's a 75% complete boxing game.

However...

1. Fighters will still attempt those non-boxing moves with the same frequency, so the bouts will be full of missed takedowns and kicks.
2. Fight Engine sets the engine for every promotion, so you can't have one boxing company and one MMA company. Every company in the world would be boxing. A possible workaround is to change the active fight engine before and after every one of your shows (i.e. MMA, then change to boxing, then back to MMA) but this is labour intensive, easy to forget, and you can't run a show on the same day as another company or you'd both use the same engine.
3. This doesn't take into account boxing scoring of knockdowns. There are rounds where a fighter will get knocked down, get back up before the ten count, and judges will only score it 10-9 (or even in favour of the fighter who got knocked down).

It would be a few days' work maximum for Ryland to simply take out the non-boxing text from fights (fighters attempting kicks, etc) for a punching-only ruleset, or give us a text editor for fights (he's been monopolosing that like Smaug sitting on gold) so we can do it ourselves.

This would be the same process he's already done in the stomping rules - enable it and fighters will stomp an opponent when they're down, disable it and they won't. It's an easy change that involves looking through the database and analysing what is and isn't a legal move under those particular rules.

However people have been asking for years for a legacy MMA ruleset and Ryland won't even allow them that. It's impossible to simulate a UFC 1 fight because Adam won't allow it - he refused to write that text, he refused to implement those rules.

The ONLY thing Ryland allows is the boring Unified Rules garbage that he's personally a fan of.

As sandbox games, WMMA and TEW are both very limiting.
Well if you are so certain it would only take a few days, how about instead of talking smack about someone who spends a lot of time on games for us, you do it yourself since you have just as much knowledge as him apparently.
Unread 05-15-2020, 03:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakZero View Post
Well if you are so certain it would only take a few days, how about instead of talking smack about someone who spends a lot of time on games for us, you do it yourself since you have just as much knowledge as him apparently.
If Adam makes the tools available I'll do it right now.
Unread 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post
There's an old one from the late 90s called World Championship Boxing Manager.
I remember playing this back in the day. It was my first non-football (soccer) management game I ever played.

For those that have never heard of it. You start off as a manager and can hire up to 5 randomly generated boxers.

There are 2 boxing promotions that feature 100 boxers, all fight in both promotions but are at different ranked levels.

I think both promotions had belts at ranked 75, 50, 25 and 1 was the World Champion.

I dont think it had weight divisions.

I remember as manager you had to set the training regime of each boxer. Also you had to call up other managers who were managing at least one of the other boxers, many managed a stable of boxers, to arrange the fight, when it would take place, which promotion it would be part of.

The only slow part of the game was the boxing fights itself. It is like a very limited boxing-centric version of what is in WMMA.

I've no doubt it would be easy to make a better game than this, more promotions, more managers, weight divisions, the ability to buy/sell boxers etc.

It's still possible to play this game using an emulator for one of the machines it was out on. I'm sure its out of copyright by now anyway.
Unread 05-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Phenom

theres a good boxing one on ios called world title boxing manager very reminiscent of the classic 90s one def worth a look.

as for the guy running his mouth, you shouldn't need Adam to release anything, if you're that good build it from scratch, rather than look silly by running your mouth off at a proven success
Unread 06-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYSmooth View Post
They did not. There is a major lack of a career sim in the boxing game world. A game built similar to WMMA with boxing specific tweaks would be amazing.
After watching some Arturo Gatti fights today, it really got me thinking about the idea of a WMMA style- Boxing sim game. All the super fights that could happen, title unification, purse bids, etc. It has the potential to be seriously amazing. Would love for this to be another game in the works, there seems to be an interest in it as well which helps.
Unread 06-27-2020, 07:49 PM
Phenom

If it's cool to mention other games here (since we already did) there's a great little boxing manager sim on android called Leather.

I think if you like GDS games you'll dig it. It DOES cost a bit of money I wanna say $6 US but I've easily gotten my money's worth. Surprisingly deep for an android title. It IS limited as it's cell phone game and not a full fledged PC sim like we are accustomed to, but it's an actual management sim not some pay to win time wasting clicking nonsense like everything else I've played on my phone.

It's improved well over the past year or so I've been playing it and the dev LOVES boxing through and through. If you want to get your fix it's not a bad option.
Unread 06-30-2020, 04:48 PM
Super Star

If GDS made a boxing game, a mod based on the Rocky movies and its Creed spin off would be cool.