Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2010 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #13306  
Unread 03-03-2012, 12:48 AM
Eidenhoek Eidenhoek is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootloop View Post
Can someone explain to me how to use each of the road agent notes briefly? I feel like I'm not very good at booking matches, for some reason.
I know I go over this in my diary. Lemme link to that post(s) real fast.

...

I hope I went over them...

There we go!
Reply With Quote
  #13307  
Unread 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Frootloop Frootloop is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,556
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidenhoek View Post
I know I go over this in my diary. Lemme link to that post(s) real fast.

...

I hope I went over them...

There we go!

Thanks! The main differences I see are that I use all-out match for anything 16 minutes or less (IE, every match on my weekly shows) and decisive win for any match where a face beats a heel, pretty much (or any time a finisher is used) I guess that's a bad thing? Can you (or anyone else) confirm or deny this?
Reply With Quote
  #13308  
Unread 03-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Eidenhoek Eidenhoek is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootloop View Post
Thanks! The main differences I see are that I use all-out match for anything 16 minutes or less (IE, every match on my weekly shows) and decisive win for any match where a face beats a heel, pretty much (or any time a finisher is used) I guess that's a bad thing? Can you (or anyone else) confirm or deny this?
Yeah, all out can be used under 16 minutes. I'll get around to updating that at some point *cough*

A decisive win essentially guarantees two things:

1. The title, if workers are eligible (gender/size requirements), will change hands/be defended.

2. The match will have a clean finish (important for feds whose fans want matches with clean finishes).

You can have a dominate, decisive win. Or a dominant, decisive loss for that matter. Decisive is a note that I've found tends to be superfluous.
Reply With Quote
  #13309  
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:23 AM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidenhoek View Post
Yeah, all out can be used under 16 minutes. I'll get around to updating that at some point *cough*

A decisive win essentially guarantees two things:

1. The title, if workers are eligible (gender/size requirements), will change hands/be defended.

2. The match will have a clean finish (important for feds whose fans want matches with clean finishes).

You can have a dominate, decisive win. Or a dominant, decisive loss for that matter. Decisive is a note that I've found tends to be superfluous.
Your Point #1 is irrelevant to title changes. Whoever you set as the winner of the match, will generally get the title, factoring in independent Road Agent decisions. That being said, your are right about the other points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootloop View Post
Thanks! The main differences I see are that I use all-out match for anything 16 minutes or less (IE, every match on my weekly shows) and decisive win for any match where a face beats a heel, pretty much (or any time a finisher is used) I guess that's a bad thing? Can you (or anyone else) confirm or deny this?
You should be careful when use the All Out Note. The note has been severely restricted. Wrestlers generally need around C- to C in several (don't know how many) in "Top" areas (Rumble, Technical, Aerial). An All-Out is also much more restrictive on Stamina. On top of that, some wrestlers, cannot handle the pressure of going all out. Not really sure who can and can't, or how it's chosen.

However, if the match is 16 minutes or more, you may consider doing a slow build, provided their Stamina is up to the task. As long as it is at least 16 minutes, there are no other known penalties to Slow Build.

Last edited by ampulator : 03-03-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13310  
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:00 AM
Remianen's Avatar
Remianen Remianen is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Posts: 7,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frootloop View Post
Can someone explain to me how to use each of the road agent notes briefly? I feel like I'm not very good at booking matches, for some reason.
Warning: This will not be brief! There will be no tl;dr version either.

Road agent notes have a couple of categories, in my mind. You have finish types (decisive/cheap/tainted), specific finishes (DQ finish, Sports Entertainment finish, Item Retrieval, Time limit, etc), and set in stone (to the RA) requirements (Victor/Loser/Draw), among others.

Now, some of these make others unnecessary. For example, if you choose Sports Entertainment finish, you don't need to choose 'draw' (they're the same thing in game terms). Sports Entertainment finish just tells the RA how you want the draw to come about. It mainly affects the match output. Now you CAN specify both (Draw & SE finish) and there's nothing wrong with that. But when you're using lots of notes (and are running up against the limit), you can leave one or the other out to save a slot.

Some notes are contradictory. For example, 'Keep Strong' and 'Victor'. If someone is winning, they're already strong. You use the 'keep strong' note on the person losing if you want them to come out of the match looking better than they might have otherwise. However, if you use the Open Match note, you don't need to use Keep Strong because an open match has both people looking good and the loss will only affect the loser in a decreased fashion (they'll lose less momentum and overness). But, it won't cancel out gimmick effect related losses (i.e. a legit/brute gimmick worker losing to a gimmicky or a cool/cocky gimmick worker losing period).

The notes I use most often are Victor (occasionally Loser as well, especially in multi person matches), open match, and finish type (decisive/tainted. I don't use cheap - I'd rather specify the cheap finish than use the general version). Likewise, sometimes I omit the tainted finish note and use a specific tainted result (manager interference, distraction, etc). The reason I don't do the same with decisive finishes is because I don't remember all my workers' finisher type and I'm a finisher-centric booker so I don't like the match output not having one detailed. If you set a match to end by pinfall and the winning worker's only finisher is submission based, it'll just say 'by pinfall' (with no finisher noted).

A lot of it comes down to finding a method/approach you feel comfortable with and going with that. I quit using keep strong (which gets penalized) because, to me, it's unnecessary with 'open match' (which gives a bonus). On occasion I use the protect note (especially when using developmental workers, i.e. workers with Performance under 50 or so).
Reply With Quote
  #13311  
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:21 AM
ChrisKid's Avatar
ChrisKid ChrisKid is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,074
Default

if you are owned by a tv network will they ever cancel your tv show?
Reply With Quote
  #13312  
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM
lazorbeak lazorbeak is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
Warning: This will not be brief! There will be no tl;dr version either.

Road agent notes have a couple of categories, in my mind. You have finish types (decisive/cheap/tainted), specific finishes (DQ finish, Sports Entertainment finish, Item Retrieval, Time limit, etc), and set in stone (to the RA) requirements (Victor/Loser/Draw), among others.

Now, some of these make others unnecessary. For example, if you choose Sports Entertainment finish, you don't need to choose 'draw' (they're the same thing in game terms). Sports Entertainment finish just tells the RA how you want the draw to come about. It mainly affects the match output. Now you CAN specify both (Draw & SE finish) and there's nothing wrong with that. But when you're using lots of notes (and are running up against the limit), you can leave one or the other out to save a slot.

Some notes are contradictory. For example, 'Keep Strong' and 'Victor'. If someone is winning, they're already strong. You use the 'keep strong' note on the person losing if you want them to come out of the match looking better than they might have otherwise. However, if you use the Open Match note, you don't need to use Keep Strong because an open match has both people looking good and the loss will only affect the loser in a decreased fashion (they'll lose less momentum and overness). But, it won't cancel out gimmick effect related losses (i.e. a legit/brute gimmick worker losing to a gimmicky or a cool/cocky gimmick worker losing period).

The notes I use most often are Victor (occasionally Loser as well, especially in multi person matches), open match, and finish type (decisive/tainted. I don't use cheap - I'd rather specify the cheap finish than use the general version). Likewise, sometimes I omit the tainted finish note and use a specific tainted result (manager interference, distraction, etc). The reason I don't do the same with decisive finishes is because I don't remember all my workers' finisher type and I'm a finisher-centric booker so I don't like the match output not having one detailed. If you set a match to end by pinfall and the winning worker's only finisher is submission based, it'll just say 'by pinfall' (with no finisher noted).

A lot of it comes down to finding a method/approach you feel comfortable with and going with that. I quit using keep strong (which gets penalized) because, to me, it's unnecessary with 'open match' (which gives a bonus). On occasion I use the protect note (especially when using developmental workers, i.e. workers with Performance under 50 or so).
All this is correct but I did want to add that TEW 10 did add a new finish type that for me supplants "keep strong" from being used in 90% of cases. The "flash pinfall" finish is now the best finish for situations where you don't want the less over worker to win without making a considerable jump in overness or without causing the loser of the match to take a significant hit in overness for losing a match to someone lower on the card.
Reply With Quote
  #13313  
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
soxfan93's Avatar
soxfan93 soxfan93 is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: A small town in NH (USA)
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKid View Post
if you are owned by a tv network will they ever cancel your tv show?
No, that's one of the few advantages to being owned by a network.
Reply With Quote
  #13314  
Unread 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
prestico23 prestico23 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Default

I'm currently a regional size promotion and I recently hit the 65.1 spillover (based in the Tri-State area). So now I have 68/68 in Tri-State with 24/29, 24/29, 29/32, 4/5 in Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic, New England, and South East respectively and 17/29, 27/29, 27/29, 4/5, 4/5 in the 5 areas of Canada. My question is Where do I go from here? I have a very small tv show based in NE and Tri State and I'm making >200 grand a month now. Should I continue with this tv show or work on expansion?
Reply With Quote
  #13315  
Unread 03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Remianen's Avatar
Remianen Remianen is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Posts: 7,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
All this is correct but I did want to add that TEW 10 did add a new finish type that for me supplants "keep strong" from being used in 90% of cases. The "flash pinfall" finish is now the best finish for situations where you don't want the less over worker to win without making a considerable jump in overness or without causing the loser of the match to take a significant hit in overness for losing a match to someone lower on the card.
Gah, totally forgot about that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestico23 View Post
I'm currently a regional size promotion and I recently hit the 65.1 spillover (based in the Tri-State area). So now I have 68/68 in Tri-State with 24/29, 24/29, 29/32, 4/5 in Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic, New England, and South East respectively and 17/29, 27/29, 27/29, 4/5, 4/5 in the 5 areas of Canada. My question is Where do I go from here? I have a very small tv show based in NE and Tri State and I'm making >200 grand a month now. Should I continue with this tv show or work on expansion?
Work on New England. If your TV show covers it, it's the low hanging fruit. Besides that, the two areas of Canada you have at 27 would be the next choice. Basically, you want to run shows in places you won't lose much money on so the most popular areas are no brainers. And before you say "I'm making X per month profit", remember what the next level is. Cult will drain you like a golddigger wife in California if you don't have a lot of money in the bank to absorb the additional costs. You cannot have too much money when you hit Cult.
Reply With Quote
  #13316  
Unread 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
Some notes are contradictory. For example, 'Keep Strong' and 'Victor'. If someone is winning, they're already strong. You use the 'keep strong' note on the person losing if you want them to come out of the match looking better than they might have otherwise. However, if you use the Open Match note, you don't need to use Keep Strong because an open match has both people looking good and the loss will only affect the loser in a decreased fashion (they'll lose less momentum and overness). But, it won't cancel out gimmick effect related losses (i.e. a legit/brute gimmick worker losing to a gimmicky or a cool/cocky gimmick worker losing period).
Your "Keep Strong" explanation is basically correct, but it also has the effect of "Protect", and can work sometimes as weaker version of "Dominate" (though it is not the same thing, obviously). However, it does drag down the match grade more than Protect does (usually), but does not drag the grade down as much as "Dominate" does (but also does not provide as good of a showing as "Dominate" does).

Also want to add, "Open Match" requires higher psychology requirements than a normal match. Not sure how much, though.

Last edited by ampulator : 03-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13317  
Unread 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
The Nickman's Avatar
The Nickman The Nickman is offline
Major League
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
The reason I don't do the same with decisive finishes is because I don't remember all my workers' finisher type and I'm a finisher-centric booker so I don't like the match output not having one detailed.
What do you actually use the match outputs for?? Once the results for the show have been viewed for the first time aren't they deleted forever??
Reply With Quote
  #13318  
Unread 03-03-2012, 08:59 PM
crayon's Avatar
crayon crayon is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Zealand (Australia)
Posts: 4,414
Default

It's going to be a while before I'm back in front of the booking screen, so here's a quick question:

Can you set the same person that is the road agent for a match as the announcer for that same match? Logistically I expect the answer to be yes, but at the same time I've never actually tried it myself.

And if this is possible, will the AI also take advantage of this if they have someone with the skills (having one worker cover both roles), or is it just a user insight thing?
Reply With Quote
  #13319  
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Remianen's Avatar
Remianen Remianen is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mount Joy, PA
Posts: 7,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampulator View Post
Also want to add, "Open Match" requires higher psychology requirements than a normal match. Not sure how much, though.
I haven't seen that be the case. What do you base that belief on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nickman View Post
What do you actually use the match outputs for?? Once the results for the show have been viewed for the first time aren't they deleted forever??
I think you misunderstand. I don't "use" match outputs for anything. I just don't like seeing simple 'by pinfall' or 'by submission' by itself. For me, it has to be followed by a finisher or I'm not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayon View Post
It's going to be a while before I'm back in front of the booking screen, so here's a quick question:

Can you set the same person that is the road agent for a match as the announcer for that same match? Logistically I expect the answer to be yes, but at the same time I've never actually tried it myself.

And if this is possible, will the AI also take advantage of this if they have someone with the skills (having one worker cover both roles), or is it just a user insight thing?
The AI doesn't have to do that. The AI could have its ref road agent a match and it'll still get better results than you would. If a person's assigned roles in their profile says they're a road agent 'usually', that's how the AI will push them (or they won't push them at all if they have "too many" at that position). As a human, you have the ability to say "Hey, my main eventer is a better road agent than Reese Paige. Maybe I should have him RA the semi-main match". I don't think the AI "thinks" (okay, I know the AI doesn't think ) so that might not be something that factors into things.

To answer your first question, yes. In my 0/0/0/0 games, I use my user character to cover multiple roles (usually color commentator and road agent). Set the announcer in the 'Announcers' area and push him as a road agent. Or just set him as the RA for all matches manually.
Reply With Quote
  #13320  
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:44 AM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remianen View Post
I haven't seen that be the case. What do you base that belief on?
For certain games and testing purposes, I turn auto-save off. For one match, I had "open Match". I got dinged for not having enough psychology. I reloaded the save, and didn't use the note. I didn't get dinged for psychology.

The thing is, though, I wasn't necessarily testing on open match that time, I was only testing for how to maximize the grade, so I threw a lot in and remove a lot of other notes in between. And unfortunately, I don't recall what I did, because it was the only thing that stuck out to me.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Array [all_times_are_gmt_x_time_now_is_y]


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.