Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape > Comic Book Hero: The Greatest Cape Mods
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Super Star

Default Marvel Bronze Age Mod Announcement

Update 1/18/15: I put up a new update of my data, complete with images!

Here's the picture file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ch...wlhc/M1975.zip

And the current data file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f8...5h2d0e/cbh.mdb

This is based on Marvel's universe circa 1975, which is very close to the world depicted in the MU cinematic universe and shows like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Last edited by lazorbeak : 01-18-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Unread 11-16-2011, 08:26 AM
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
I'm using http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ as a resource for stats
Thanks for sharing this incredible site, it will be an enourmous asset to any Marvel mod maker.
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Star

Hey folks I thought I'd post an update to say I am still working on this. I've got a pretty solid list of characters in excel and I'm gradually porting them into CBH. So far my demo runs with Spider-Man have been fun, although since he's practically on his own out there in my data he's been overwhelmed by villains a couple of times.

For those who are either unfamiliar with or could use a refresher on the Bronze Age, here's what several major characters were going through at the time:

Spider-Man is a college student dealing with the death of Gwen Stacy and the descent into madness of his friend Harry. He has recently begun dating Mary Jane Watson as she has developed beyond her "party girl" persona. A new villain called The Jackal has recently been plotting something behind the scenes.

The Avengers: The team has recently announced a line-up of Captain America, Iron Man, Wasp, Yellowjacket, The Beast, Vision, and Scarlet Witch. They have recently dealt with dimensional travel to the world of the Squadron Supreme (basically the DC Universe JLA), and in the 19th century they have recently caused Kang the Conqueror to disappear from existence (although he can and probably will come back). A rare moment in time when over half the roster is married to one another.

The X-Men: the all-new, all-different X-Men have just formed and Thunderbird has just died. The current line-up is Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Banshee. Mutants are still rare and are hated and feared. Jean Grey has apparently died and been re-born as the mysterious "Phoenix."

There's plenty of relatively new heroes on the scene, including Ghost Rider, Tigra, Hellcat, and Moon Knight. Characters that are about to debut but don't have any powers yet may be listed as civilians including Captain Marvel's friend Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) and high school student Richard Rider (Nova). Their heroic identities will be set as alternates.

Right now I have 57 names in the "heroes" column of my spreadsheet. I also have 141 villains before considering any generic goons, lackey organizations, or wandering dinosaurs. There's no guarantee that exactly those numbers will appear, especially if I find too many characters near the same level serving the same purpose (there may be a limit on low-level martial arts-based villains). Also unlike the default CBH data, a fair number of villains start the game either dead, in jail, or otherwise unavailable.

I've done probably too much research into the era to try to get a feel for characters, powers, and histories, but my goal is to make something balanced and fun.
Unread 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
I've done probably too much research into the era to try to get a feel for characters, powers, and histories, but my goal is to make something balanced and fun.
Looking forward to this very much so. I've a feeling I will try and import it, or combine it into mine for a personal mod, with the 70's as a timeline to go check out... although I will probably rename it the 90's, as I'm sliding Marvel's timeline dramatically to keep people In both DC and Marvel relevant to each other... In the 70's, Nightwing was still Robin, and Robin and Spiderman were sort of the same age... I know it's weird, but That's how I'm going to build the characters when I get to Marvel, with Dick Grayson and Peter Parker being my anchor, lol.

The reason I quoted that specific part, is because that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Balanced AND fun. Harder then what I thought it was going to be in the first place, but then again, I didn't look at the game mechanics hard enough to start with.
Unread 07-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Star

I'm not sure if there's anybody still playing this game, but I've recently had time to work on modding again, after a few months of not really having the time to touch anything. My Marvel mod is looking really fun after a few test runs with different character types. I've done a ton of research on bronze age characters and have tried to represent the era both with the big names and plenty of lesser known characters that were around in the 70's. Ideally this will give me a base to make it really easy to build similar mods set at other times in the MU, since for the most part it will just be a matter of adding new characters. As mentioned in the first post, most of the characters people associate with the MU, including nearly every movie plot, comes from this era or the Silver Age. Only the X-Men universe has had major new characters show up post 1980.

I've got 52 playable heroes and anti-heroes. Right now I'm finishing up picking which villains to bring in and balancing the different locations.

As far as how it plays, I can say I haven't seen a mod that plays out the way this does. The biggest difference is I've used different power levels far more freely. If you feel like fights are too slow in the default data, this might fix some of those issues for you. Almost every "super" character has a "big" attack that does significant damage. As much as possible, I tried to give characters attacks you'd expect to see in a comic.
Unread 07-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Phenom

If you could post us a teaser, a demo or even some screenshots it would be nice if it isn't a hassle.