Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > Grey Dog Software Think Tank > Future Game Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-29-2017, 02:10 PM

Default Wrestling Spirit 3 as an MMA game?

Hey everyone! I recently discovered Wrestling Spirit 3, and I have to say that it is a really interesting game. I really like the role playing elements and character creation (movesets and personas, etc.) and the actual fights that take place are really cool as well. With this in mind, being a huge MMA fan, I immediately thought about how such a game design would work in an MMA universe. I think that World of Mixed Martial Arts Spirit (I don't know what to call it haha) would be a really cool and fun game. I quickly brainstormed how it could work, and I'll share some of my ideas here.

1) Because of the nature of an MMA career, where a fighter might only have 30 fights in their career, it wouldn't make sense to follow only one fighter (as in this type of game you're going to have hundreds of fights). So, I would recommend having your player be a head coach and promoter for an entire team. You could recruit fighters to train from multiple weight classes and coach each of them through their fights. And, if you'd prefer, you could create your own team and fighters as well.
2) It also would be important to hire trainers for your team. These people will be the ones who teach your fighters new moves to use in combat, as well as to help them improve their fundamental skills.
3) Also, as a promoter, it would be your responsibility to help your fighters find fights in various companies around the world. Negotiations with these companies and with other fight teams would be a fundamental part of the game.
4) The fight engine itself would act in essentially the same way as Wrestling Spirit 3's, only it would be adapted in a way which makes sense for MMA. Fighters would have health for their different body parts, which would affect the ease or difficulty of a (t)ko or submission happening, in addition to fighter skills and specialties. Also, knowing when to go on the offensive vs defensive would play a huge role in not only winning - but making sure your fighter doesn't get KOed or seriously injured.
5) The overall goal of the game would be to make your MMA gym the best gym in the world - have the most champions, best reputation, and to reach the Hall of Fame as the premier training center/fighter promoter on the planet.

These are just a few simple ideas for how the game could work. I could think of some more in-depth ideas if I gave it time, but I'd love to hear what you all think. Is this something that could work? Is it something that is even possible? (I know next to nothing about game development so I'd be really interested to hear a perspective from Grey Dog). Has this idea already been proposed and I'm just living under a rock? Is it a good idea or a terrible one? I'd love to hear your opinions and/or recommendations!
Unread 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Minor League

They do have an MMA series as well. Did you see that?
Unread 06-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Low Minors

Already exists and is called World of Mixed Martial Arts. Enjoy.
Unread 06-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Rookie

I don't get those comments that such game already exists. WMMA is a company manager, OP is talking about a fighter career simulator. Two different things, like TEW and WreSpi.
Unread 06-29-2017, 10:11 PM

I should have specified more what I meant - I love and have played a ton of WMMA (both 3 and 4). However, Wrestling Spirit 3 is more so an RPG than a management sim. In that, you create a wrestler and guide them through their career, having matches and choosing moves for them to preform in an attempt to beat your opponents. I think this format would be really interesting for MMA - creating fighters to join your camp and controlling them as they fight, helping them learn moves and become better fighters.

So, I was looking for opinions on the potential of a MMA game like Wrestling Spirit 3, and not Total Extreme Wrestling. Hope this clears up any confusion!
Unread 06-30-2017, 02:37 AM
GDS Developer

Moved to the correct forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leithal View Post
Has this idea already been proposed and I'm just living under a rock?
It's been proposed many times, yes. If you search this (the Future Game Suggestions) forum for "WreSpi" or "Spirit", making sure to change the filters to show all posts from the beginning rather than just from the last 30 days, then you should have no problem seeing all the previous threads and the discussions within.