Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Low Minors

Default Which TNA/Impact Wrestling era should I play in

So thinking about starting a new save. Now TNA has always been an interesting save to me. For the majority of their history they very much the second promotion in America behind WWE. But as I normally YouTube my saves now it’s much easier to deal with 2 hours of main TV and 1 hour of explosion than having to deal with booking and writing Raw and Smackdown, PPV and then the B-Shows to boot. I just don’t have the time or maybe even the will power to do modern day WWE

So currently I have narrowed the choice down to three eras: want to know what people would most enjoy seeing. So here’s the pitch for each one.

April 2014: The Hogan era has ended leaving a path of destruction in its wake. The items that made the company unique have been dismantled. The X-Division is nothing more than a shell of its former self and a few months prior the biggest TNA original AJ Styles departed to join NJPW. Booking is a shambles and in a desperate attempt to copy WWE “Yes” movement Eric Young is crowned World Champion replicating Daniel Bryan’s world title win a couple of week ago at Wrestlemania. The company are still with Spike TV. With the right signings can the ship be turned or will we hit the iceberg at the end of the year?

June 2016: Two years later. TNA has sailed right into the iceberg and is sinking fast. Now airing on Destination America a large numbers of the companies top stars such as Kurt Angle have left the promotion. There is a lack of talent throughout the roster and despite being on weekly TV the company is in serious trouble. Dixie Carter has reached out to Billy Corgan and has taken loans to help keep the company afloat. With a tight budget, it will take smart scouting and good booking to fix the companies bank balance and restore TNA to former glory.

May 2019/June2019 (depending on if I wait until the end of the month) TNA now know as Impact Wrestling has fallen from grace. With the emergence of All Elite Wrestling and WWE aggressive recruitment strategy for the first time in 20+ they are two major promotions in town. Viewership is at its lowest level after losing TV deals with Destination America and then POPtv and due to the ROH:NJPW for the first time in its history the company is a distant 4th. Now with the company putting on its best product in years can we navigate this tricky waters and rebuild the promotion or is this a bridge to far?

So these are the three game. I like the idea of them all for different reason. Let me know which one you would enjoy the best and we will see what we can do with Impact.
Unread 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Low Minors

Personally I think Impact is on the up swing. I personally would take them in 2016 because I think both creatively and talent wise that Impact was at its lowest spot then. Unfortunately, they are still trying to recover from that even though they're producing a solid show.
Unread 05-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Low Minors

i would love to take the challenge of 2019 as the runner up that now need to catch 2 huge companies
Unread 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
All Star

My impulse would be 2014 immediately post Hogan. That would seem to be when the time when their need for help and the ability to give it to them lined up best. However from a pure fan standpoint my desire would be to take over right before the Hogan era began. Thereby keeping that from happening and having a very compelling creative start point to build from. Had TNA/Impact/Whatever Else You Wish To Call Them not be seduced by Hogan when they were, they had the potential to put on some really juicy matches and make a whole bunch of people from near scratch. Getting them coming out of the last pre-Hogan Bound For Glory and you have the possibility of spinning gold.
Unread 05-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Low Minors

The Hogan era of TNA was embarrassing IMHO
I am thinking your 2016 scenario has the most potential...you could play it as an era where you try to recapture all the things that made them great 10 years prior.
If you can recruit one of the TNA originals...or another strong personality (like a CM Punk) you could have a guy who verbally trashes the Hogan era and leads the charge to rebuild. This could/might inspire remaining veterans (or future highers of veteran caliber) to rebel against this youth movement.
Unread 05-24-2019, 06:03 AM
Low Minors

I actually like the more recent Impact stuff and think they are putting together a decent little roster, but think they are already on the way back whereas they were really poor 2014 or 2016 so would be more fun to rebuild from those points.

Out of curiosity, what mod do you use for 2014? This has got me wanting to start an Impact game in that year but couldn't find a mod for that year unless I convert from 2013.
Unread 05-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Living Legend

2016. Maybe TNA's lowest point (of many, to be fair) and therefore probably the most fun to play if you can build some momentum.
Unread 05-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Low Minors

Personally I'd go just before the Hogan era, and run with it. Make Abyssamania an actual thing

Maybe don't create 300 stables who all merge into incestuous mess though.

And definitely push Doug Williams.
Unread 05-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsunari View Post
So thinking about starting a new save. Now TNA has always been an interesting save to me. For the majority of their history they very much the second promotion in America behind WWE. But as I normally YouTube my saves now it’s much easier to deal with 2 hours of main TV and 1 hour of explosion than having to deal with booking and writing Raw and Smackdown, PPV and then the B-Shows to boot. I just don’t have the time or maybe even the will power to do modern day WWE

So currently I have narrowed the choice down to three eras: want to know what people would most enjoy seeing. So here’s the pitch for each one.

April 2014: The Hogan era has ended leaving a path of destruction in its wake. The items that made the company unique have been dismantled. The X-Division is nothing more than a shell of its former self and a few months prior the biggest TNA original AJ Styles departed to join NJPW. Booking is a shambles and in a desperate attempt to copy WWE “Yes” movement Eric Young is crowned World Champion replicating Daniel Bryan’s world title win a couple of week ago at Wrestlemania. The company are still with Spike TV. With the right signings can the ship be turned or will we hit the iceberg at the end of the year?

June 2016: Two years later. TNA has sailed right into the iceberg and is sinking fast. Now airing on Destination America a large numbers of the companies top stars such as Kurt Angle have left the promotion. There is a lack of talent throughout the roster and despite being on weekly TV the company is in serious trouble. Dixie Carter has reached out to Billy Corgan and has taken loans to help keep the company afloat. With a tight budget, it will take smart scouting and good booking to fix the companies bank balance and restore TNA to former glory.

May 2019/June2019 (depending on if I wait until the end of the month) TNA now know as Impact Wrestling has fallen from grace. With the emergence of All Elite Wrestling and WWE aggressive recruitment strategy for the first time in 20+ they are two major promotions in town. Viewership is at its lowest level after losing TV deals with Destination America and then POPtv and due to the ROH:NJPW for the first time in its history the company is a distant 4th. Now with the company putting on its best product in years can we navigate these tricky waters and rebuild the promotion or is this a bridge too far?

So these are the three game. I like the idea of them all for a different reason. Let me know which one you would enjoy the best and we will see what we can do with Impact.

I think all of these are obviously fun save ideas, my two cents here is if you play 2014, you'd need a compelling hook to de-couple Dixie and Vinny Ru, or buy the company outright as I believe it's put on the market and stays on the market at a ridiculous rate all the way through until they sell. My only problem with this idea is the who would buy this sinking ship, with horrible branding for the price they'd want? Corgan's not rich enough, Bischoff's been there and done that, it'd have to be Toby Keith or something to get me over the "Russo would just work over Dixie with his voodoo and then send that e-mail to Mike Johnson and get us tossed off Spike no matter what I did." So that's why I wouldn't choose this option personally.

2016 would probably be my pick, you've got pressure from DA dropping you if you don't bring up your ratings, you've got little money and you've got not much on the roster. Perfect spot for a crazy person to buy the company inject some money and make a real Impact... pardon the pun. DA probably keep them if you can bring their ratings up, and get some buzz on ya. So this is my pick

2019 is an interesting time, mostly because you're transitioning a southern wrestling company into a Canadian product, and doing it with some young female characters I adore. The problem here is, they've got TNA stink on them and I still feel like that's a decade long project, and I have no idea why anybody bought them at all. They could have just used the purchase, relocation, and start-up costs to start their own company with none of the TNA death stink signed that whole roster when it went under for cheaper probably and been much more efficient, but here we are. I like Don, I like what he's doing, I don't think I could(or anybody could) do much better than he is right now. It's a rebuilding process, I hope that rebuild goes great but seems kinda the most boring of the options to me.

My favorite TNA time-period is the Russo insanity era just after they brought in Christian though. But that's just because fixing that product is so obvious, and anybody who bought in here could so easily pinpoint that said writing genius is so bad the fans chant his name in derision And would fire him and turn the book over to Prichard and Dutch, who are crazy people in their own rights but understand wrestling and can do the job well. It's just a made to order save for me...
Unread 05-24-2019, 01:43 PM

I would go with 2016, but with a caveat...and a possible plan of action.

The caveat would be to start shortly after the 2015 One Night Only Gut Check in September. But hear me out:

If you go ahead and sign everyone who was in that PPV, you would have Martin Stone, Dalton Castle, Shaun Ricker (who would eventually become Eli Drake), Tony Kozina, Ross/Marshall Von Erich, Crimson, Tanga Loa, and Pepper Parks (with Laura Dennis aka Allie). Think you could do something with that?

Maybe take a page from The Nexus and have them attack the roster? Use them to firm up the midcard and tag ranks? Turn some of them into your next big things? The options are plenty.
Unread Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Phenom

Is there a mod that starts immediately Post-Hogan? If so, I'd love a link to it
Unread Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylion View Post
Is there a mod that starts immediately Post-Hogan? If so, I'd love a link to it
check the forums I think the RW guys started doing monthly updates in 2016 and have saves all the way from then to now.
Unread Today, 10:14 AM
Low Minors

Hi Guy... Thanks for the replies. Been away for a couple of weeks but it appears that 2016 seems to be the most popular of the three scenarios, So I'll go with that and start the save later on in the week. ^^

As for the 2014 mod, I can't remember where I found it. It might be a converted mod from the last version of TEW. Anyway, it lists Lukkearthur as the mod creator so hopefully, that helps you find it.
Unread Today, 04:04 PM
Low Minors

2016 had the super hot Broken Matt Hardy gimmick just starting. If they hadn't botched the contracts, they could've been back on the way up.