Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > The Dog Pound
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #7501  
Unread 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHilton View Post
Yes, it does.

Because that 'certain type of fan' makes up the vast majority of the audience that watches the programming, buys PPVs, and pays for merchandise. Who gives a crap if internet nerds like him? Why does anyone need to provide 'evidence?'

Being a 'good worker' means you get people to pay to watch you. I've read interviews with everyone from Bill Watts to Bobby Heenan to Jim Cornette and they all say the same thing: if people pay to watch you, you're a good worker. Period. And I'd stand buy their opinion 1000 times over before I care what a bunch of smarks on a message board say.

So knock yourself out talking about he's a bad worker. Because it's just YOU. That's all. YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion but that's all it is. Cena has generated millions of dollars in revenue for the biggest promotion on the planet...that means A LOT more than whether or not he pleases the IWC
No, it's not just me. There's more people like there that believe what I believe. Is there much as there used to be? Heck no. You want to know why? They left. WWE has gained new fans, but they alienated some older ones. I'm one of the last of my kind. I'll eventually move on as well, if the trend continues.

Like I said, we'll know in 10 years or maybe early as 5 years as to who is right. I hope that I'm wrong, absolutely, possitively wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong, and that's what scares me.
Reply With Quote
  #7502  
Unread 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Slim Jim's Avatar
Slim Jim Slim Jim is offline
Major League
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: England
Posts: 878
Default

Cena is just like The Rock. The comparison holds up very well as workers.

People's Elbow -> 5 Knuckle Shuffle
Rock Bottom -> Attitude Adjustment
Sharpshooter -> STF
plus two or three other signature moves (Spinebuster/Proto-plex, etc.)

They both spout(ed) catchphrases (Just Bring It! -> You want some? Come get some!), get by on their charisma and knew how to work a crowd. Rock probably edges Cena on psychology, for me anyway, because I mark like a little girl for the way he used to kick out.

And The Rock is the biggest star from the Attitude Era. And you could probably extend the comparison to Hogan before that.

So basically, nothing has changed in terms of what the top worker produces. The product as a whole has evolved, and looks kind of cyclical. But the quality of the top workers has stayed largely the same, and it's the same style that doesn't pander to the TINY minority that is the IWC (who will pump money into the 'E regardless).
Reply With Quote
  #7503  
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:53 PM
jwt13 jwt13 is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 666
Default

I have to say that Raw was good it is the first time in about a year I can say I liked Raw more than Impact
Reply With Quote
  #7504  
Unread 11-25-2010, 04:19 PM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
Cena is just like The Rock. The comparison holds up very well as workers.

People's Elbow -> 5 Knuckle Shuffle
Rock Bottom -> Attitude Adjustment
Sharpshooter -> STF
plus two or three other signature moves (Spinebuster/Proto-plex, etc.)

They both spout(ed) catchphrases (Just Bring It! -> You want some? Come get some!), get by on their charisma and knew how to work a crowd. Rock probably edges Cena on psychology, for me anyway, because I mark like a little girl for the way he used to kick out.

And The Rock is the biggest star from the Attitude Era. And you could probably extend the comparison to Hogan before that.

So basically, nothing has changed in terms of what the top worker produces. The product as a whole has evolved, and looks kind of cyclical. But the quality of the top workers has stayed largely the same, and it's the same style that doesn't pander to the TINY minority that is the IWC (who will pump money into the 'E regardless).
The quality of workers have stayed the same, but the quality of the matches from the top workers have declined.

I'm not necessarily the matches have declined overall, because that's not true. But form the top workers? Yes, they have. It's not a matter of talent, either. It's matter of what they are allowed and not allowd to do.

As for this happens, it's because the WWE either prevents and/or forbids their top workers from doing certain things. Now, I understand if they want them to do stupid high-risk stuff, but to completely script their matches is stupid. It makes their matches look boring and stale.
Reply With Quote
  #7505  
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Basmat01's Avatar
Basmat01 Basmat01 is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Jim View Post
Cena is just like The Rock. The comparison holds up very well as workers.

People's Elbow -> 5 Knuckle Shuffle
Rock Bottom -> Attitude Adjustment
Sharpshooter -> STF
plus two or three other signature moves (Spinebuster/Proto-plex, etc.)

They both spout(ed) catchphrases (Just Bring It! -> You want some? Come get some!), get by on their charisma and knew how to work a crowd. Rock probably edges Cena on psychology, for me anyway, because I mark like a little girl for the way he used to kick out.

And The Rock is the biggest star from the Attitude Era. And you could probably extend the comparison to Hogan before that.

So basically, nothing has changed in terms of what the top worker produces. The product as a whole has evolved, and looks kind of cyclical. But the quality of the top workers has stayed largely the same, and it's the same style that doesn't pander to the TINY minority that is the IWC (who will pump money into the 'E regardless).
Worst Catchphase EVER!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7506  
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:10 PM
LoganRodzen's Avatar
LoganRodzen LoganRodzen is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,261
Default

Wow... really guys? Not even a "your girlfriend is really cool"? I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
My lady has decided to give me the coolest Christmas present of all time... ROYAL RUMBLE TICKETS! And she told me about it early... what a gal.

Yep. January 30th I will be at the TD Garden in Boston watching one of the coolest PPV's ever. I'm really pumped about it because my older brother is going with us along with his wife (a double date at wrestling?!). My brother actually works for TD Bank in their fraud department and he can get discounted tickets for events there. I've gone to RAW with him there for $15 (not the best seats, but you can see from everywhere in that arena).

I've been to a couple Smackdown tapings, two RAW live events, and Summerslam '06 (Orton vs Hogan and DX vs McMahon's). I'm really pumped to go to another PPV and having gone to Summerslam - I now need to go to just a few more "BIG" PPV's - Wrestlemania and Survivor Series. If King of the Ring was still around I'd need to go to that.

Anyone else ever gone to the Royal Rumble or going this year? Stories! Please share!


EDIT: Even though I don't follow wrestling week to week, I try to stay "current" on things that are happening. I'm still pumped to go see it and I'll probably watch RAW all of January so that I know what's happening when I'm there, ha.
Reply With Quote
  #7507  
Unread 11-25-2010, 07:18 PM
supershot's Avatar
supershot supershot is offline
Low Minors
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
Wow... really guys? Not even a "your girlfriend is really cool"? I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.
I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but since it's thanksgiving...

I'd say shes a keeper
Reply With Quote
  #7508  
Unread 11-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Linsolv's Avatar
Linsolv Linsolv is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit
Posts: 587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
Wow... really guys? Not even a "your girlfriend is really cool"? I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.
Listen, Logan. I think we can all agree that it would've been rude to say that to you, because it would've heavily implied that we didn't trust your taste in women.
Reply With Quote
  #7509  
Unread 11-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Genadi's Avatar
Genadi Genadi is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
Wow... really guys? Not even a "your girlfriend is really cool"? I'm a bit disappointed to be honest.
I just noticed this, lucky man! In light of recent events....


Miss Rodzen has gained popularity from this segment

Miss Rodzen has gained respect from this segment

Miss Rodzen has seen a boost to her Babyface performance skill from this segment

Logan Rodzen is now Loyal to Miss Rodzen
Reply With Quote
  #7510  
Unread 11-25-2010, 11:37 PM
BHK1978's Avatar
BHK1978 BHK1978 is offline
Living Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRodzen View Post
My lady has decided to give me the coolest Christmas present of all time... ROYAL RUMBLE TICKETS! And she told me about it early... what a gal.

Yep. January 30th I will be at the TD Garden in Boston watching one of the coolest PPV's ever. I'm really pumped about it because my older brother is going with us along with his wife (a double date at wrestling?!). My brother actually works for TD Bank in their fraud department and he can get discounted tickets for events there. I've gone to RAW with him there for $15 (not the best seats, but you can see from everywhere in that arena).

I've been to a couple Smackdown tapings, two RAW live events, and Summerslam '06 (Orton vs Hogan and DX vs McMahon's). I'm really pumped to go to another PPV and having gone to Summerslam - I now need to go to just a few more "BIG" PPV's - Wrestlemania and Survivor Series. If King of the Ring was still around I'd need to go to that.

Anyone else ever gone to the Royal Rumble or going this year? Stories! Please share!


EDIT: Even though I don't follow wrestling week to week, I try to stay "current" on things that are happening. I'm still pumped to go see it and I'll probably watch RAW all of January so that I know what's happening when I'm there, ha.
I was thinking about going but then I remembered how much I hate the Fleet Center or whatever it is called now. That arena just stinks. Especially if you have cheap seats (which I often have). The seats in the upper part of the arena are built so that you are slanted forward, which makes you feel like you are going to fall forward, at least for me anyway. Also, it cost an arm and a leg to park anywhere remotely close to the Fleet Center.

I went to the Royal Rumble at MSG a couple of years ago (another arena that I am not fond of) and it was a good show. My major gripe was about the arena and not the show. They pretty much opened the arena to the public like a half an hour before the show began so it ended up being a sea of people all entering the building at once which I was not happy about at all. And then MSG itself is horribly dated on the inside. One can tell that it was built in the late 1960's.

I also went to the 1994 Royal Rumble which was at the Providence Civc Center. However, I do not recall much about it.

It sucks that they are holding in Boston because the Royal Rumble is my favorite PPV (yes even over Wrestle Mania, which much like the Super Bowl, is way over-hyped). I just wish that if they were going to have it in New England they would have it in Providence or Hartford because those arenas are just better in my opinion. Plus in Providence you do not have to pay to park if you are willing to walk a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #7511  
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:22 AM
lazorbeak lazorbeak is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHilton View Post
Yes, it does.

Because that 'certain type of fan' makes up the vast majority of the audience that watches the programming, buys PPVs, and pays for merchandise. Who gives a crap if internet nerds like him? Why does anyone need to provide 'evidence?'

Being a 'good worker' means you get people to pay to watch you. I've read interviews with everyone from Bill Watts to Bobby Heenan to Jim Cornette and they all say the same thing: if people pay to watch you, you're a good worker. Period. And I'd stand buy their opinion 1000 times over before I care what a bunch of smarks on a message board say.

So knock yourself out talking about he's a bad worker. Because it's just YOU. That's all. YOU are entitled to YOUR opinion but that's all it is. Cena has generated millions of dollars in revenue for the biggest promotion on the planet...that means A LOT more than whether or not he pleases the IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampulator View Post
No, it's not just me. There's more people like there that believe what I believe. Is there much as there used to be? Heck no. You want to know why? They left. WWE has gained new fans, but they alienated some older ones. I'm one of the last of my kind. I'll eventually move on as well, if the trend continues.

Like I said, we'll know in 10 years or maybe early as 5 years as to who is right. I hope that I'm wrong, absolutely, possitively wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'm not wrong, and that's what scares me.
Sorry, Ampulator, you lose this one. You said no one can convince you that Cena is a good worker (despite throwing your hands up as to how he produced very good matches with guys like Umaga), and Hilton followed that up with a reasonable defense, namely, that in a worked sport, getting people to pay to see you is the DEFINITION of being a good worker. Making Cena one of the top workers of the freaking decade. And no amount of nit-picking that his 5 moves aren't executed as crisply as Bret Hart's five moves is going to make an iota of difference to the fact that he gets people to pay to see him.

And you followed that up with something about how you're one of the last of your kind. If "your kind" is workrate obsessed smarks who poo-poo everything WWE does because it doesn't fit your taste in product, good! Because those so-called smarks have a rudimentary understanding of how the business works, make heroes out of guys that have never, ever made money at a job where making money is the goal, and otherwise go around acting personally offended that they don't get to watch "3 star" matches on free TV, despite the fact that nothing like that has ever existed in the history of professional wrestling. It's a fake sport about human drama, not what moves you're allowed to do. If you don't understand that, maybe a) don't watch, and b) please stop talking about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7512  
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Genadi's Avatar
Genadi Genadi is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
Sorry, Ampulator, you lose this one. You said no one can convince you that Cena is a good worker (despite throwing your hands up as to how he produced very good matches with guys like Umaga), and Hilton followed that up with a reasonable defense, namely, that in a worked sport, getting people to pay to see you is the DEFINITION of being a good worker. Making Cena one of the top workers of the freaking decade.
I disagree with your definition of a good worker, I don't think there is one. Some people enjoyed a guy like Benoit's work to the point they consider him the greatest worker of all time. Others prefer Hogan and believe he's the greatest worker ever (for the reasons you gave about drawing). I said before it's largely subjective and the fact that a reasonable debate can be had over Hogan vs Benoit only reinforces that.

It's a discussion board guys, we come here to trade thoughts and share opinions. Not prove who knows better about a fake sport that is controlled by promoters, bookers and fans making it (one more time ) subjective. Let's not be like the 99% of boards out there where this petty stuff takes place, it really is tired and cliche to a wrestling forum.
Reply With Quote
  #7513  
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:43 AM
lazorbeak lazorbeak is offline
Super Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genadi View Post
I disagree with your definition of a good worker, I don't think there is one. Some people enjoyed a guy like Benoit's work to the point they consider him the greatest worker of all time. Others prefer Hogan and believe he's the greatest worker ever (for the reasons you gave about drawing). I said before it's largely subjective and the fact that a reasonable debate can be had over Hogan vs Benoit only reinforces that.
1. It's not my definition, so I really don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Hilton
Being a 'good worker' means you get people to pay to watch you. I've read interviews with everyone from Bill Watts to Bobby Heenan to Jim Cornette and they all say the same thing: if people pay to watch you, you're a good worker. Period. And I'd stand buy [sic] their opinion 1000 times over before I care what a bunch of smarks on a message board say.
2. If you disagree with what that other guy said, you're disagreeing with a lot of people who actually know something about the business and have gone on record as saying drawing money = being a good wrestler. It's what the fake sport is predicated on. As I said a post ago, I can only hope that the Scott Keith star-rating-itis goes the way of the dodo.

3. The fact that something is subjective doesn't mean that someone can't have an opinion that is unsupported by reasoning, data, or common sense. Since PH's opinion is supported and ampulator's not only has no support but is flat out ignoring data that contradicts his opinion, I don't see this as being much of a "discussion."
Reply With Quote
  #7514  
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:48 AM
ampulator ampulator is offline
All Star
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
1. It's not my definition, so I really don't care.



2. If you disagree with what that other guy said, you're disagreeing with a lot of people who actually know something about the business and have gone on record as saying drawing money = being a good wrestler. It's what the fake sport is predicated on. As I said a post ago, I can only hope that the Scott Keith star-rating-itis goes the way of the dodo.

3. The fact that something is subjective doesn't mean that someone can't have an opinion that is unsupported by reasoning, data, or common sense. Since PH's opinion is supported and ampulator's not only has no support but is flat out ignoring data that contradicts his opinion, I don't see this as being much of a "discussion."
Lazorbeak, I'm not ignoring his evidence. I think it's valid. I just don't agree with his analysis.

Second, I hope to the highest power he's right, and that I'm wrong. I WANT TO BELIEVE IN HIM. I REALLY DO. But I just can't. Not after everything I've seen. It CAN'T go on like this. This IS NOT a cyclical siutation. This Is NOT business as usual. The territories are dead. If this business shrinks and WWE is not up to the task, this business that I love to watch so much is going to die a slow death. I want to believe. I want him to be right. But his evidence is a drop of water in a huge pond. He thinks it's just about money, pure dollar signs. But it's a short term gain in exchange for long-term planning.

I fear I may be see the last days of pro-wrestling. This the slow death that no one predicted. That few would see. I always thought it was go down fight at the very least, kicking and screaming before death would take it.

Instead, one piece at time, a drip-drop loss is what it's suffering. And it terrifies me that I'm seeing this and I can't do anything about it.
Reply With Quote
  #7515  
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Genadi's Avatar
Genadi Genadi is offline
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
1. It's not my definition, so I really don't care.
Lol, well you gave it so whoevers it is I think is stupid, I explained why

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
2. If you disagree with what that other guy said, you're disagreeing with a lot of people who actually know something about the business and have gone on record as saying drawing money = being a good wrestler. It's what the fake sport is predicated on. As I said a post ago, I can only hope that the Scott Keith star-rating-itis goes the way of the dodo.
I could've said the exact same thing to you, I didn't want to come across as a pretentious douche so I refrained

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazorbeak View Post
3. The fact that something is subjective doesn't mean that someone can't have an opinion that is unsupported by reasoning, data, or common sense. Since PH's opinion is supported and ampulator's not only has no support but is flat out ignoring data that contradicts his opinion, I don't see this as being much of a "discussion."
Why am I not suprised you don't. No one said you can't have an opinion on something subjective, actually that's pretty much what I was saying in my post. I find it funny you talk about data and facts in wrestling, extremely funny
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.