FAU Game 11
The Award Finalists were announced, and I’m used to having people in for the finalist. Looking through the lists, I wasn’t really sure what I’d see seeing as this year our group has played great, but they aren’t top 10 contenders in any measure except for how they’ve played together as a team. These are the finalists:
Paul “Bear” Bryant Finalist: Coach Geno Demarco (Wasn’t really a surprise leading a 3 win team to an undefeated start)
Heisman Trophy: QB Leslie Varela (Alright this was a little surprising that he’d even be in the running…)
Ray Guy: P Adam Barton
Lou Groza: K Shane Dunlap
John Mackey: TE Jess Peterson
Fred Biletnikoff: WR Craig Olsen
Davey O’Brien: QB Leslie Varela
Now of course they haven’t officially won anything yet, they are just in the running but it’s impressive knowing how my guys have ranked in relations to others. We also just got ranked into the Top 25 Media Poll at #22. We can’t get distracted with potential awards right now though, we still have games left…
DE Kurt Wood, FB Bryan Nelson, RB John Smith all recovered over our bye week completely, while OT Nelson still is battling with his stomach, C Thompson is dealing with his knee that is tweaked, and DE Curry is fighting through his twisted ankle he suffered during practice this week. OT Nelson and C Thompson both feel they can play, so we are going to let them. DE Curry however we want to sit out so his ankle can fully heal so DE Beltran and DE Wood will be starting this week. This will be a big week for us, as we face our rivals…
(#22) Florida Atlantic (10-0) vs. (7-3) Florida International
- 98 yard kick return to start the game off for FAU gets the game off started nicely. RB John Smith runs the rest of the way in for a touchdown. 7-0, FAU.
- FIU responds with a touchdown of their own. 7-7 tie game.
- FIU forces RB Smith to fumble and they return it for a touchdown. 14-7 FIU.
- QB Varela finds TE Peterson in the end zone for a touchdown to tie the game again, 14-14!
- 43 yard field goal attempt by FIU is missed!
- RB Smith punches it in to take the lead for us. 21-14, FAU.
- :38 left and FIU punts the ball while we use our first time out. We return it to the FIU 38 with 0:32 left on the clock. An incomplete pass, and it’s 2nd down on the 38 with 0:25 left on the clock. 15 yard pass to TE Peterson moves us up to the 23, with 0:12 left on the clock and we use our 2nd time out. We decide to just go for the 41 yard field goal, but K Dunlap misses it! FIU takes a knee to end the half.
- FIU scored a touchdown. 21-21.
- QB Varela finds WR Olsen for a TD to take the lead again. 28-21, FAU.
- FIU intercepts QB Varela and ran it back for a touchdown! 28-28.
- QB Varela finds TE Peterson in the end zone. 35-28, FAU.
- FIU attempts a 44 yard field goal but misses it!
- QB Varela hits WR Richardson right in the hands in the end zone! 42-28, FAU.
- CB Coleman intercepts the ball from FIU!
- QB Varela connects with WR Olsen for a touchdown to continue extending the lead. 49-28, FAU.
Florida Atlantic defeats Florida International, 49 to 28.