Grey Dog Software

Go Back   Grey Dog Software > GDS Central > Grey Dog Software General Discussions
Register Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-11-2020, 10:59 PM

Default Boxing Game?

Unsure if this is the correct forum to post this on, but I was wondering if there is any plans, or even a possibility of a boxing game similar to WMMA being released?

MMA seems to be the cool thing to like, and a lot of people will say boxing is irrelevant or nowhere near as popular UFC but this is isn't true. On average Boxing still out draws UFC for PPV events, and they have much bigger stars like Canelo, Joshua and Pacquaio.

I think now would be a great time for a boxing game, especially with the rise of the heavyweight division, and the fact it's been almost a decade since the release of Fight Night Champion.
Unread 05-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Phenom

Adam has gone on the record in the past that he'd never do a boxing game due to his lack of interest in it. Or something to that effect.
Unread 05-12-2020, 12:01 AM
Super Star

I really wish. It would be so much fun doing some historical boxing matches. I remember someone in WMMA 2 or 3 I believe added a ton of Boxers to the game. It was pretty cool seeing Mike Tyson, Ali win the world title and such.
Unread 05-12-2020, 12:41 AM
Rookie

Rather than just a fight simulator like the MMA games I'd love if GDS did a boxing manager game where you not only simulate fights but train up fighters in your own gym as well. There's a game like that on Steam that's super indie, but it does have its charm. GDS could basically take that concept except make it an actual good game
Unread 05-12-2020, 01:52 AM
Super Star

There's an old one from the late 90s called World Championship Boxing Manager.
Unread 05-27-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post
There's an old one from the late 90s called World Championship Boxing Manager.
I remember playing this back in the day. It was my first non-football (soccer) management game I ever played.

For those that have never heard of it. You start off as a manager and can hire up to 5 randomly generated boxers.

There are 2 boxing promotions that feature 100 boxers, all fight in both promotions but are at different ranked levels.

I think both promotions had belts at ranked 75, 50, 25 and 1 was the World Champion.

I dont think it had weight divisions.

I remember as manager you had to set the training regime of each boxer. Also you had to call up other managers who were managing at least one of the other boxers, many managed a stable of boxers, to arrange the fight, when it would take place, which promotion it would be part of.

The only slow part of the game was the boxing fights itself. It is like a very limited boxing-centric version of what is in WMMA.

I've no doubt it would be easy to make a better game than this, more promotions, more managers, weight divisions, the ability to buy/sell boxers etc.

It's still possible to play this game using an emulator for one of the machines it was out on. I'm sure its out of copyright by now anyway.
Unread 05-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Phenom

theres a good boxing one on ios called world title boxing manager very reminiscent of the classic 90s one def worth a look.

as for the guy running his mouth, you shouldn't need Adam to release anything, if you're that good build it from scratch, rather than look silly by running your mouth off at a proven success
Unread 05-12-2020, 10:37 AM
GDS Developer

A boxing game is something I always wanted to take on at some point. Maybe?
Unread 05-12-2020, 11:58 AM
Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek DiBenedetto View Post
A boxing game is something I always wanted to take on at some point. Maybe?
Would be amazing if that actually happens. a historical mod that spans from the early days and "golden age" of boxing that you could sim to today day and age would be amazing.

Also the default data with all the fictional characters would be a new fresh twist. Could even throw in some MMA- Crossover stars that have huge name value like Mcgregor for example.
Unread 05-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Rookie

The closest thing I could see to that is Title Bout Championship Boxing:

http://www.titleboutboxing.com/cgi-bin/page?home
Unread 05-12-2020, 07:46 PM
GDS Developer

I worked with the Title Bout guys back at .400 software studios (with the OOTP guys too). They were good guys and really knew boxing. They've always been looking for someone to help with the career aspect while they focused on the boxing.
Unread 12-17-2020, 01:31 PM

Default boxing game on steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Avatar View Post
Rather than just a fight simulator like the MMA games I'd love if GDS did a boxing manager game where you not only simulate fights but train up fighters in your own gym as well. There's a game like that on Steam that's super indie, but it does have its charm. GDS could basically take that concept except make it an actual good game
whats it called
Unread 12-29-2020, 12:35 PM

I would/will buy this day 1.
Unread 01-01-2021, 08:44 AM
Phenom

Any update on progress Derek? Very excited about this project!!
Unread 01-01-2021, 02:06 PM
GDS Developer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomato Can View Post
Any update on progress Derek? Very excited about this project!!
I did take a holiday break on the project, but before that I did implement a new slick, polished yet slightly 'old-school' feeling UI for the game that is really turning out nicely. The Boxer, Corner Man and Trainer stat generation is finished and working well, and you can actually select your crew in-game.

Game options selection is in and working as well. You can set Injuries on or off, Standing 8 Count on or off, Head Butt incidents on or off, 3 Knockdown Rule on or off, etc. for any type of game era ruleset you want.

More to come a bit later!